Start by marking “Ray Mears Outdoor Survival Handbook: A Guide to the Materials in the Wild and How To Use them for Food, Warmth, Shelter and Navigation” as Want to Read:

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  131 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Ray Mears' Outdoor Survival Handbook is a book of discovery, explaining the everyday skills you need to live in and enjoy the natural world. Season by season, this unique, fully illustrated guide describes the resources and materials available in the wild and how to use them. Whether you want to spend a day, a week or a month out of doors, Ray Mears' Outdoor Survival Handb ...more
Published April 19th 2001 by Ebury Press (first published June 15th 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Ray Mears Outdoor Survival Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ray Mears Outdoor Survival Handbook

Alexander
Apr 02, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: bushcraft fans, outdoor fans, survivalists
Shelves: nonfiction
Ray Mears is an undisputed master of bushcraft. This book is a condensed season by season manual of skills useful to those living out in the wilds. Whether it's the instruction of useful knots, how to braid your own cordage, or start a fire, this book is an extremely useful guide. If you like this, check out the various BBC series that Mears has been involved in.
Cat {Wild Night In}
I've been working my way through this one since arriving in Yorkshire. It's increased my confidence in exploring and camping out in the countryside and I've had a great deal of fun identifying plants mentioned in the book and making food with/ from them.

In addition to the information contained within, Mears writes with respect and lyricism throughout. What could have been a highly informative but dry manual feels more like a conversation with a really good teacher.

Simply put, it was brilliant.
Fed
Jan 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I learned a lot from this book, very practical advice.
Larry
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great start for beginners. Has loads of applicable knowledge and exercises. I would highly recommend it to anyone wanting to learn more.
Vanessa Read
Sep 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I am a fan of Ray Mears, so I liked this book a lot. It was a gift and I found it interesting and well illustrated.
Sarah Lameche
Jan 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Nice book I took whilst orienteering 'just in case'. Thankfully it wasn't needed but was a nice security cushion.
Jacek Nickowski
I could use many of these Resources camping when I go to the boundary waters. I like the traps and hunting things they have in this book.
Alister Scott
Jun 07, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Bushcraft: Outdoor Skills and Wilderness Survival
  • Where There Is No Dentist
  • Camping and Woodcraft: A Handbook for Vacation Campers and for Travelers in the Wilderness
  • Camping & Wilderness Survival, 2nd: The Ultimate Outdoors Book
  • Basic Butchering of Livestock  Game: Beef, Veal, Pork, Lamb, Poultry, Rabbit, Venison
  • Outdoor Survival Skills
  • The Rodale Book of Composting: Easy Methods for Every Gardener
  • Wildwood Wisdom
  • Ultimate Guide to Wilderness Living: Surviving with Nothing But Your Bare Hands and What You Find in the Woods
  • When Technology Fails: A Manual for Self-Reliance & Planetary Survival
  • Tom Brown's Field Guide to Wilderness Survival
  • Green Wizardry: Conservation, Solar Power, Organic Gardening, and Other Hands-On Skills From the Appropriate Tech Toolkit
  • Identifying and Harvesting Edible and Medicinal Plants
  • Hawke's Green Beret Survival Manual: Essential Strategies For: Shelter and Water, Food and Fire, Tools and Medicine, Navigation and Signaling, Survival Psychology and Getting Out Alive!
  • Complete Guide to Sharpening
  • Where There Is No Doctor: A Village Health Care Handbook
  • Making the Best of Basics: Family Preparedness Handbook
  • Food for Free (Collins Gem)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »