Start by marking “Florence (Florence Waverley, #1)” as Want to Read:
Florence (Florence Waverley, #1)

Florence (Florence Waverley #1)

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  304 Ratings  ·  126 Reviews
Seventeen-year-old Florence Waverley is out of her depth. Literally. Kidnapped and taken below the waves to the mer world of Niemela, she is the ultimate gift for merman Prince Kiren: a human familiar tied to his side. But nothing is what it seems amid the beauty and danger of a dark ocean.

Every Niemelan has a role to play, from the mermaids who weave towers out of kelp to
Published July 1st 2012 (first published June 28th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Florence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Florence

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard
2.5/5 stars

As far as paranormal romances go, Florence is unobtrusive and unoffensive. But it feels just like same-old-same old to me.

Florence is your typical misunderstood loner. For years she's been "new girl" and nobody really knows or cares about her. She' invisible to her classmates. However, everything changes on a school field trip when she's kidnapped by mermaids.

The mermaids take her to be Prince Kiren's familiar, something that is not really explained, but never mind she's deemed inappr
Jun 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
(Source: I was given a digital copy of this book for free, by the author, on a read-to-review basis.)
17-year-old Florence has lived on Hamilton Island for 4 years since her mother abandoned her, but to her classmates who have lived there all their lives she will be forever ‘the new girl’.
Kidnapped by a merman on a school excursion, Florence is taken beneath water, given a polyp attached to her neck to allow her to breath water rather than air, and presented to Prince Kiren as his new familiar.
Th
Aeicha
Jun 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5 Stars

THREE WORDS: Enchanting, Lush, Mesmerizing

MY REVIEW: A few weeks ago I reviewed another mermaid book that was unfortunately a miss, so I was very happy to discover a mermaid story that is a great big hit! Ciye Cho’s Florence is a refreshing and captivating mermaid tale that had me enthralled from beginning to end.

After the death of her father, seventeen year old Florence Waverly doesn’t seem to fit in anywhere: not at school or even in her mother’s posh world. During a class field tr
Lauren (Sugar & Snark)
Sep 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, arc
Firstly let me tell you that I have never read a Mermaid book that I have actually liked. And I’ve always thought it was strange because when I was 5 I wanted (desperately) to grow up to be one. So obviously I have nothing against the species. But every book I have read has either been juvenile, unbelievable or lacked any imagination. This book might not have converted me to Team Mermaid. But it has certainly made me a fan.

Florence is a lonely introvert who spends her life on the sidelines looki
Rachel
Jul 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: egalleys

I haven't been accepting many self-published books for review recently. Not because I don't want to, but because I have so many things piling up on me. Not only do I have books to read and review that I've already accepted or requested, along with books I've bought or been given, but I also have work and friends to keep up with, plus I'll be starting back at school soon. But when I got an email from Ciye Cho asking me to review his book, Florence, my fancy was caught.

Florence follows Fl
Jen
Jul 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really wasn't sure what I'd make of this book; I'd thought for a while it would be cool to read about mermaids, but it could all go so wrong and turn into a Disney's Little Mermaid rip off. Happily, that didn't happen with Florence, and I was sucked into an exciting new world.

Florence is an outsider at school, and in life generally. Her father died when she was young, leaving her a burden to those who would sooner she wasn't there. She has virtually no friends and all in all, it isn't too muc
Nea Barabea
Jun 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
You know, I've never read a book about mermaids. Dunno why, but they somehow didn't appeal to me. And then I got this book for review, and I was like "Seriously? Mermaids?" I thought about it and then decided to accept it.

And let me tell you, Oh my god! This book is awesome. The world that Ciye created is stunning. Bright colours, amazing characters and an intrigue, unique story. It's quite fast paced and the story flew by like a blur.

The story is told in the first person, and the narrator is
Flora Smith
Feb 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

This was a fun read. It had a bit of a slow start but once I got into it I couldn't put it down.

Florence Waverly is a plain girl who tries to stay in the shadows. She really doesn't fit in anywhere. She still grieves for her dad and is unwanted by her mother. On a school trip to the beach she finds herself abducted by a mermaid and thrust into their world. And what a world it is. Deep beneath the ocean, breathing with the aid
The Y.A. Bookworm Blogger
Jul 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Read FULL Review At: The Y.A. Bookworm Blogger

Florence is a book by author Ciye Cho that was released just a few days ago on July 1, 2012. When I was first approached by the author to review Florence, I was immediately hooked by just reading the synopsis. The unique storyline and intriguing male leads made me absolutely anxious to start reading- I finished it in about a day!

I love it when I see a character experience growth throughout the course of a novel- Florence is a perfect example of thi
Jill Swanson-Diaz
I have an interview with the author and my full review up on my blog!
Please stop by to check it out!

Florence has received four shining stars from me!
Ciye Cho is a promising new young adult author and I am so pleased I have gotten the chance to review his debut novel.
I never thought I would like a plot line involving mermaids. I suppose it seemed slightly childish. But, Florence is in no way childish! It is a wonderfully written story full of enchantment and advent
Dani C. (Paulette's Papers)
Jun 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Amazing and wonderful are two words that come to mind when you think about Florence by Ciye Cho. It has been several days since I finished this wonderful book and I am still thinking about it. Mr. Cho did a beautiful job creating and describing a world that is so unlike our own. From the very beginning this descriptive story takes a hold of you and doesn’t let go.

Florence is a unique story about a girl, named Florence, who is kidnapped and taken to live among the merpeople in Niemela. Before she
Carmen
Dec 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
The following review is based on a copy I was given by the author in exchange for my honest opinion.
It can also be found on my blog here.

Review:
This was my first mermaid book, and after enjoying it as much as I did I’m now resolved to read more in the genre! The world Ciye Cho created was captivating and renewed my interest in what lies beneath the ocean. After a somewhat bumpy start, Florence and I got on well and I found myself rooting for her throughout the novel!

Florence is a very shy 17-yea
Jennifer (Bad Bird Reads)
From http://readingandwritingurbanfantasy....

At a Glance
Let's put it this way, I planned on reading this book in a month or so but once I read the first few chapters to decide whether or not to accept the review request, I couldn't put it down. I had to know what was going to happen next. I then proceeded to read the whole book in a day and a half.

The Good
Under the Sea...
Florence tries her best to stay unnoticed. It's better that way, easier. Then the merpeople had to screw that all up. Capture
Diana (Offbeat Vagabond)
Jun 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mermaids
Posted here: http://offbeatvagabond.blogspot.com/2012/06/arc-indie-review-book-trailer-florence.html

I was given the opportunity to review this book by the author himself. I love the idea of a YA paranormal mermaid story because it is very new to me. And now after reading this, I want to find more like it. Everything about this book is just stunning, from the cover to the imagery inside. I am in love. This was an absolute joy.

Our main character Florence is a shy girl who keeps to herself. Everyo
Annabelle
Feb 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
The author asked me a while back to read and review his novel. I accepted but didn't get around to it until recently. The novel sounds very interesting, a young girl taken hostage to be the familiar to a merman. How awesomely creepy does that sound? I'm pretty sure most of you know that mermaids in some peoples views can be evil nasty creatures and I was very interested in seeing how Ciye created them. Although this was a good novel it had some problems which I shall explain in a moment.

We join
Sherlyn
Jun 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
This review was originally posted on Mermaid With A Book.

I have a feeling that this series might soon be one of my favourites.

The premise seems simple enough – loner girl goes on school trip to beach, swims in ocean, gets kidnapped by a merman and taken to a mer-kingdom. No, she doesn't get turned into a mermaid, nor does she have any trace of mer swimming around in her veins. I mean, it's become sort of the norm for protagonists in mermaid novels nowadays to sprout a pair of fins themselves, or
Merin
Jun 14, 2012 rated it liked it
3.5/5 stars.

When I was contacted by Mr. Cho to possibly review Florence, the magic word that caught my attention was "mermaid". I am a huge sucker for mermaid books, but have yet to read one that I really enjoyed. Normally there are so many problematic elements in the story that my general feeling upon finishing is "meh". But that was not the case with Florence; while it took me a bit of time to get invested in the story, once that happened I was happily engrossed in the world of Niemala and the
Mariah
Dec 29, 2014 rated it liked it
* 3.5 stars*

*I was sent a copy from the author in exchange for an honest review*

Ah, now this was a good book. This book filled in the mermaid cravings I've been having. I never grew out of my love for mermaids that I developed very strongly as a child. Heck, I believe mermaids are real. There's a possibility that they exist and if not from this planet than maybe another! Anyways let's get back to the story. I liked this book a lot. I thought that the world was very clever and developed along wit
Andrea
Jun 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
This review was originally posted at The Overstuffed Bookcase.

A Great Welcome into the World of Mermaid Books...

I loved The Little Mermaid as a kid. I mean, LOVED it. It remains my favorite Disney movie to this day. I could go into a story about me and my neighbor as children but I'll refrain. So the point is, I really love mermaids. And for some reason, I had never read a mermaid book until reading Florence. I have plenty on my TBR list, but I just never got around to reading any. So I was re
Howard Parsons
Jul 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Florence is invisible . . . or nearly so, at least. Her full name is Florence Waverly and she lives with her mother's property manager on Australia's Hamilton Island. She is one of those people in high school who is barely noticed . . . by anyone . . . and when she is, Florence is marked down as an oddity, a "new girl" and then quickly forgotten. On this day of days, Florence sits alone at the back of a school bus, on a biology field trip to a smaller island - named Mermaid's Reach - that, like ...more
Angeline
Jul 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
The cover art on this book is truly extraordinary and I was impressed that Cho himself created the cover. Sadly, my art skills are limited to stick figures and play dough. A mermaid book is a definite must for this summer season. When it comes to self-published books, I can get a little iffy. But, I'm glad I decided to give this book a try.

Florence is an unusual girl. She basically has no friends, family, or even acquaintants (a real loner). As a character, I thought that for most of the book, s
Sabrina
Feb 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, own
In case you didn't read the synopsis, Florence follows a teenage girl who is kidnapped and taken to live underwater with the merpeople in their city of Niemela. I enjoyed most of this book, especially its descriptions and beautiful setting.

The first thing to mention is the prologue. It immediately draws in the reader by giving a sneak peak of a scene from the book with no context. It certainly got me wondering exactly how Florence gets to that point in her story.

Florence herself is - I hate to
Meghan
May 31, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Almost the entirety of this book takes place underwater. Specifially in a giant coral called Niemela. This is where one of the last clans of mer people live. I love all things fantasy and magical. I definitely have a soft spot for mermaids, Disney's the little mermaid is one of my favorite movies. So when Ciye asked to have her book reviewed on jumped on the chance to get some mermaid action. If you like mermaids, you will definitely like this story. The major conflict in the story is that the m ...more
Amy
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ya
Source: I received an eBook copy of Florence in exchange for an honest review.

My Review:

Florence by Ciye Cho is the first book I have received for review and it's also the only self-published book that I can remember reading. I didn't know what to expect when I started reading this book, but Florence turned out to be a delightful story set in a beautiful world and full of imaginative characters.

One of the highlights of Florence is the stunning setting. From Florence's homeland of Australia to t
Sarah {Literary Meanderings}

♥ Find my reviews on Blogger ~ Reviews by Bookish Sarah

- - -

17-year-old Florence Waverley is a loner. She spends her time watching others, but never being a part of anything. She doesn't even fit in with her own family. Her father died, leaving her with a rich, spoiled mother who pays someone else to take care of her own daughter.

Then, during a school field trip to the beach, Florence's life is forever changed. She swims out into the ocean to take some underwater photographs and ends up knocked
Amy_Read to My Heart's Content
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mer-folklore
Original Review at: http://readtomyhearts.blogspot.com/20...

My Thoughts:

I received a copy of Florence in exchange for my honest opinion of it. The views are entirely my own.

I have never been a huge mermaid fan, although, I have never really read that many mermaid stories either. So I was willing to get out of my comfort zone and try something that I don't normally gravitate to, in the case of this interesting new read.
The cover first caught my eye before I even read down to the blurb. It is abs
Kelly
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Beautifully descriptive, Florence has quickly become one of my favourite mermaid-fantasy books. An intricate world hidden below the sea complements characters motivated by the best of intentions. Refreshingly original, Florence took me on a journey I won't soon forget!

I have always loved the ocean and as a child, I wished with all of my heart to be woken up one day to be told I was secretly a mermaid princess and it was time to go home. Florence has given me a piece of the world I used to dream
Sherre Copeland
Jun 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Soma Rostam "IOB"
Aug 12, 2012 rated it really liked it

Well, when I entered the giveaway for this book, I didn't know what to expect. Since the cover was incredible, don't you think so? Just look at the blend between the colors and how the face covers almost 3/4 of the cover. The cover is very unique, the girl is a resemblance of the main character and the cover is an illustration not a photograph. It's not just some girl with a fluffy dress and a tiara or some boy walking through a damaged pitch-black world, it's beautiful. The blurb is captivatin
Hollie
Jun 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This review was first posted on Music, Books and Tea

I cannot swim. I've never really had any desire to swim, until I read Florence. Now I wish I could swim with a breathing polyp attached to me, and live in Niemela. This was the first mermaid/merman book that I've read, and also one of the best fantasy books that I have read. Plus, how beautiful is the cover for this book?! I absolutely love it!

The world-building in Florence was excellent. I really felt that the land of Niemela was its own chara
  • Justice (Deck of Lies, #1)
  • Aversion (The Mentalist Series, #1)
  • The Fate of the Muse (Marina's Tales, #3)
  • The Forbidden Trilogy (The Forbidden Trilogy #1-3)
  • Prophecy of the Most Beautiful (Oracle of Delphi, #1)
  • Violet Midnight (Violet Night, #1)
  • Owlet (Society of Feathers, #1)
  • Purgatory Reign
  • Spectral
  • Intangible (Intangible, #1)
  • Pledged (Soul Wars Saga, #1)
  • When, At Last, He Found Me (Memoir of a Mermaid, #1)
  • Neophyte
  • Cleopatra Ascending (Shadow's Edge, #2)
  • After Ever (After, #1)
  • Aliens Are Real, Part 1 (Energy, #1)
  • On the Bright Side
  • Bluehour (Watermagic Series, #1)
Ciye Cho lives in Australia and works as a graphic designer. He writes YA novels in his free time--and his head is often lost in the clouds or some place far from reality...
More about Ciye Cho...

Florence Waverley (3 books)
  • Luminaire (Florence Waverley, #2)
  • Darkness (Florence Waverley, #3)

Young Adult Deals

• Things I Should Have Known
    $9.99 $2.99
  • These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Queens of Geek
  • The Lovely Reckless
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Love, Lies & Spies
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Been Here All Along
  • The Way to Game the Walk of Shame
  • Bad Boy
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Haunting Season
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Season of Wonder (The Remnants, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99