Start by marking “Pooh And The Philosophers” as Want to Read:
Pooh And The Philosophers

Pooh And The Philosophers

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  1,055 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
This author sets out to prove that the whole of western philosophy, from the cosmologists of Ancient Greece to the existentialists of the 20th century may be found in the pages of Winnie-the-Pooh and The House at Pooh Corner.
Unknown Binding
Published December 31st 1995 by Methuen Publishing (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Pooh And The Philosophers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pooh And The Philosophers

Julie
Jan 11, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Pooh and the Philosophers: In-Which-It-Is-Shown-That-A-Fool-Is-Born-Every-Minute.

Sigh.

I admit I was curious.

I admit to liking Benjamin Hoff's Tao of Pooh very much. As an antidote to sadness, or downheartedness, or just a vague bluesy feeling, it is exactly what works for me. There is no doubt in my mind that Winnie The Pooh is a zen master. My tongue is only a teeny bit in my cheek, for I can certainly embrace all the zen qualities of Pooh when I tuck the book under my arm, stroll down the gar
Ronald Barba
Jan 03, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have never written a review this long.

I could not put this book down...if only because I couldn't wait to finish it and not have to deal with Williams anymore. I cahhnt. I don't even know where to start. Dafuq is wrong with you people? This was terrible.

There is a difference between a reader of philosophy and a student of philosophy. A reader of philosophy is precisely that: a reader; he/she reads books and essays of philosophy out of his/her own volition and out of genuine interest. A stude
Brandon Harwood
May 23, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
Creative diarrhea.
Farah
Jul 20, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, reviewed
satu lagi buku yang gue baca tentang filsafat.
Jujur aja, waktu pertama kali gue baca buku ini, gue berpikir, "udah sakit jiwa nih yang nulis.."

I mean, kenapa Winnie the Pooh ini bisa disambung-sambungin ama filsuf dan filsafat sih?

Tapi kemudian, timbul suatu kesadaran di dalam diri gue, yang membuat gue tersadar dari rutinitas kehidupan gue sehari-hari (sama seperti Sophie saat dia menerima pertanyaan, "Siapakah kamu?" huahauhuahuahuahuahuahua).

Intinya sih, yang bikin gue sadar adalah filsafat i
Tra-Kay
Nov 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The fantastic thing about this book is that not only does it humorously discuss the Pooh stories and the philosophers in a deeply knowledgeable and self-mocking, abstract yet lucid manner; but also actually critiques the philosophies and gives opinions about them. This is no mere "Plato and a Platypus Walk Into a Bar" "let's introduce concepts with fun stuff" book. THIS, my fellow readers, is a Scholar Fucking Around.

I actually learned a fair bit and was inspired as well, because the lessons we
Kayla Gutierrez
At first, I wasn’t sure whether to take this author’s stance seriously; that Winnie the Pooh, the honey-loving bear in the Hundred Acre Woods, is actually representative of Aristotle who tries to enlighten the friends around him that the earth is round, and that his search for honey is symbolic of his search for the truth. A far-fetched idea written in a subty assuming manner, the book is entertaining, especially when the author depicts Eeyore as a follower of Neitszche and ties the major philos ...more
David Greenberg
All in all this book was an average book - it is a brief introduction to the classical world of Winnie-the-Pooh (not that Disney recreation) and western philosophy. What it does not do is go into any great detail on either area. It's tone is also extremely sarcastic and at time hostile towards the philosophers (the section on Sartre should be viewed as a direct attack, not an unbiased analysis). The book does one thing, however, which redeems it for all of its many short comings - it shows the r ...more
Don Murphy
Have a philosophy major and serving coffee not making ends meet? Do what the majority of other philosophy majors have done and write a book about Pooh! Why not. There's enough room to fit just about any topic and connect Pooh to it. What's next - Pooh and the Nazis? How about Pooh and the NHL coaches? Or, Pooh and the Archetypal Strippers. How is Eeyore like the over-the-hill prostitute? Now, write a book about it!
Jeremy
Jul 14, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Cf. Hoff's The Tao of Pooh.
Chloe Lee
2.5-3 stars - essentially this is interesting, yet it seems that Williams has been trying too hard to emphasise that Pooh is the ultimate philosopher, that sometimes the arguments would be too forced. Moreover, in order to emphasise that Pooh is the philosopher, Williams has to pack the entire history of Western philosophy within 200 pages, and that would hence create confusion in certain areas as he would rush through his points instead of properly explaining (such as the association of honey w ...more
Julia
Jul 20, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a sad attempt to cash in on Benjamin Hoff's success with The Tao of Pooh and The Te of Piglet. I was given this book by a well-meaning friend who knows my fondness for Winnie-the-Pooh. The author has absolutely no fondness for, nor understanding of, the essence of Pooh.
Jacqueline
Poeh is altijd leuk. Maar dit is vrij ver gezocht allemaal.
Hans Rens
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice to find this site for a "review"
I read Pooh (first my grandma read me the Dutch translation when I was a kid - long before Disney turned it into a cocacola red carricature - then I read that myself again, then later learning English I got the original Pooh.

When I found Pooh and the Philosophers, I picked it up after glancing through only a few pages, and I never regret reading it.
Yes, the style is worthy of Pooh itself: lots of tongue-in-cheek passages, and never ever it will be clear for
Chandra
I made a second reading through this one (as unnecessary prep for an ethics course in which actual participation in what could be described as discussion was highly discouraged) and I was again struck by how little the book actually has to do with philosophy. It's great for lovers of Pooh (among whom I don't normally count myself) but disappointing for anyone seeking an overview of Western philosophy in any meaningful fashion. Pompously written to the point of amusement is it still an enjoyable ...more
Oceana2602
It sounded good when it was lying there, next to the check-out line at Hugendubels. And after just having listened yet again to the most excellent Winnie-the-pooh audio books read by Harry Rowohlt, I was in the mood for some Pooh. Of course, I should have known that all I need to get philosophical about Pooh are the books themselves. Certainly not someone who "analysis" their philosophy for me.

That's not to say that Williams isn't right in what he writes, or that his book isn't good. It might be
Mae
Jul 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
Interesting funny book. Peculiar sometimes, but interesting. It is actually a serious book, but inevitably I had to laugh--the basic premise is that all philosophers in one way of another were inspired by Pooh.
I mean, Pooh is certainly a wise bear and Milne a brilliant philosopher. But some of the situations used, where, well should I say a bit convoluted and brought in by the hair. (like we say in spanish)
It is a good review for basic philosophy, and could be used as a conversation starter... b
Linda
Mar 06, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I put this book down. I only understood about 1/2 of what I was reading, and enjoying what I understood. But, I'm not up on philosophy jargon and didn't appreciate the writer insulting his readers, and throwing condescending remarks to those of us who read Pooh to our children. I also felt that he was stretching many of his points by taking the same scenes and applying them to different philosophers. I admit to being too dumb for this book, but smart enough to know when something is being overdo ...more
Russell
May 31, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I got about two thirds through this book before i couldn't take it anymore, I feel bad for giving it such a low score, but it was so boring I just couldn't read any more. I was hoping to get a brief introduction to western philosophy, but the author just tries too hard to tell you about how winnie the pooh demonstrates all of the philosophies and the sad truth is that he doesn't and the author obviously has a hard time demonstrating this. Do not let this stop you from reading the Tao of Pooh, be ...more
Heidi
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant. Anyone who has any appreciation for the World of Pooh bear should read this. Basically a quick survey of Western Philosophy as expounded by and summed up by and even exceeded by Edward Bear. By the time I got to the exploration of set theory as demonstrated by rabbit's "friends and relations" I had decided it would be one of my new favourites :o) (And I've just seen online that John Tyerman Williams is currently working on a book which "will reveal the secret of Jeeves and the hidden ...more
Maria
Jan 29, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, so this had potential to be good if it was like ten times shorter. I get it. This book was written as a joke and some of it was funny. I was gonna say that it dragged on past funny and well into annoying, but actually the last part was the best. I was very close to putting the book down ten-fifteen pages into it and would have missed my favorite part towards the end, where the author argues that Being and Time is post-Poohian. Even so, this gets one star.
Angela
Much too tedious for me to finish. I just am not interested in what the author has to say, even though it is an intriguing way of looking at philosophy. And, of course, I love Winnie the Pooh. It felt that this book was a text book with too many technicalities and not enough pooh. Good idea though, bad presentation.
Felicia Flaum
Apr 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another awesome philosophical read. It was quite insightful and provided an great review for the philosophers teachings. Highly reconmend to any who are looking for an off-beat and fun read that brings with it so much more than just education.....
Virginia Brace
Sep 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rob Craig told me he found this book at a used bookstore recently and was enjoying it. It is a delight and revelation to lovers of the bear and also hold meaning and enjoyment for lovers of philosophy. I am looking forward to reading it and Pooh (again).
Tori Samar
Jan 27, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If this is meant to be a joke, it fails miserably. If this is meant to be serious literary interpretation, it fails miserably. If this is meant to be a clever introduction to philosophy, it fails miserably.
Dollie
Dec 14, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
This wasn't really my cup of tea as I haven't read a lot of philosophy and am not a philosopher. I was surprised to learn that Pooh is. It was just a opportunity to spend a bit of time with Pooh & Piglet in the The Hundred Acre Wood once again.
Katie
Jan 24, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mine
This book is kinda hard to judge. The writer did one hell of a job in researching. The information about philosophers was amazing. But when he applied it on the story of Pooh, I found most of the links too forced and quite unbelievable.
Not my favorite. I actually only got through 1/3 of it before I realized that it made philosophy seem boring and irrelevant. I need some more books on the subject that peak my interest a la Sophie's World.
Maria
Nov 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't really tell if we are supposed to take it seriously or as a joke. Either way extremely fun and very informative.
Anton
Dec 26, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books, gave-up
I could only read a few chapters of this book. I couldn't stand how the author tries to convince the reader that his view of Puh is the correct one.
Catherine
Nov 06, 2007 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
read it, enjoyed it but so long ago i need to reread it!
  • Pooh's Little Instruction Book
  • 365 Tao: Daily Meditations
  • The Tao of Inner Peace
  • Hua Hu Ching: The Unknown Teachings of Lao Tzu
  • The Essential Tao
  • The Te of Piglet
  • Philosophy in the Modern World
  • Stoicism (Ancient Philosophies, #1)
  • Ideas of the Great Philosophers
  • The Scavengers' Manifesto
  • Monty Python and Philosophy: Nudge Nudge, Think Think!
  • The Essential Mystics: Selections from the World's Great Wisdom Traditions
  • The Way of Chuang Tzu (Shambhala Library)
  • Winnie-the-Pooh on Problem Solving: In Which Pooh, Piglet and friends explore How to Solve Problems so you can too
  • The Universal Computer: The Road from Leibniz to Turing

$2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $10.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation
    $8.49 $2.99
  • Dharma Punx: A Memoir
    $11.49 $1.99
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Queens Consort: England's Medieval Queens from Eleanor of Aquitaine to Elizabeth of York
    $9.99 $2.99
  • As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning: A Memoir (The Autobiographical Trilogy Book 2)
  • An Appeal to the World: The Way to Peace in a Time of Division