Start by marking “There Was a Coyote Who Swallowed a Flea” as Want to Read:
There Was a Coyote Who Swallowed a Flea

There Was a Coyote Who Swallowed a Flea

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  307 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
Skinny ol' Coyote delights readers as he swallows his way though this delicious southwestern-flavored retelling of a beloved rhyme. As Coyote gets bigger, the story becomes zanier. Full color.
Published March 1st 2007 by Rising Moon Books

To ask other readers questions about There Was a Coyote Who Swallowed a Flea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There Was a Coyote Who Swallowed a Flea

Honesty
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
There was a Coyote who swallowed a flea, is a story about a coyote who begins his journey of eating things. He starts small and only eats things that grow bigger and bigger. The gibber things he heats, the bigger coyote gets, and he doesn't just stop at eating a bird!
When I first saw the book I had an instant connection with it, maybe because its based in the desert with cacti, and coyotes, like Arizona, or maybe it was the name of the book itself that drew me in. The text is a fun rhyming and r
Leigh
Mar 23, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: childrens-lit
I loved the illustrations in this book, but this is a substandard take-off on "There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly." Alison Jackson's "There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie" puts this book to shame.
Hannah
Oct 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: rdg-291
Jennifer Ward's western based story gives a new twist to the "There was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly". The hungry coyote eats anything and everything, from fleas to cacti to the moon. While eating everything in his wake, the coyote fails to get full and continues to eat objects that grow in size. The coyote never seems to get full and eats each item for a particular reason. I found it very amusing that the coyote eats more than just live organisms, but he also eats inanimate objects, such as ...more
Amanda Schmitt
There Was a Coyote Who Swallowed a Flea is a catchy rhyming book about a very hungry coyote. The coyote slowly ate all the animals starting with a lizard, then a snake, and finally a flea. From here, the coyote moved on to bigger and better things such as a cactus and lastly the moon! Nevertheless, to make matters more absurd, he asked a silly phrase after completing his large meal: “when is breakfast?” Kids will get a hoot out of this funny book and with enough repetition, they can learn to rea ...more
Olivia Read
Nov 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Grade Level: K-1
Genre: Children's Fiction/Poetry
Review: This book is a fun read aloud for primary students to learn about writing. In addition, the text is simple enough for students to read it on their own. It is full of funny illustrations, rhyming, onomatopoeias, and more! A great activity to go along with this book is to have children add their stanza about the coyote swallowing the flea, complete with their own rhymes!

Plot:
Much in the style of "There was an Only Lady who Swallowed a Fly", t
Jennifer Baxter
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was bought from my mother in law for my daughter. The old lady swallowed books are funny but this book took it to a whole new level of funny!!!!! My 6 year old daughter has already memorized this book. So cute!
Barbara
May 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Kids will love There Was a Coyote Who Swallowed a Flea by Jennifer Ward for the same reasons they love the familiar song, I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly! This enchanting tale will tickle everyone’s funnybone! The long list of “edibles” will keep kids laughing and they will enjoy trying to guess what he will eat next. Yippee-O-Ki-Yeee y’all! For ages 3 – 7.
Steph
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
First grade students love to have this book read to them. They love to participate in the refrain.
Good sense of repetition so the students can read along.
Susan ...so many books and so little time
My students and I loved this book!!!...so I ordered more books by this author!!!
Liz Stoneking
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun Southwestern take on a children's classic song/poem. The illustrations alone are worth the read.
Tiffany
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The illustrations. The illustrations. TheSE illustrations are phenomenal! Wow. The art in this book is what makes it 5 stars. The writing is a standard spin of the old lady, but not necessarily a phenomenal one. Nevertheless, our entire family LOVES both reading and looking at the illustrations in this book. It is one we would like to be a part of our personal library.
Karen
Feb 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
This book started out has a fun Southwestern take on The Woman Who Swallowed a Fly, but as the story continued it lost its cleverness and ended poorly. The art work saved this book.
McKenna Crimmins
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, eled-412
There was a coyote who swallowed a flea is a great book and one of my all time favorites. The writing is fun to hear and fun to read as well. The way that the words just flow out of your mouth while your reading is amazing. The pictures are funny and correspond to the writing very well. It's fun looking at the pictures and finding everything that the coyote was eating in his stomach and seeing what they were doing. Children love this book and it raises a lot of questions as to why the coyote was ...more
Ina
Nov 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-reads
The illustrations in this book are amazing. From the big eyed hungry coyote with his ribs showing to all of the items that coyote eats. This book is filled with desert images. The text is a wonderful south west variation of the rhyme "I know an old lady who swallowed a fly." The text is bouncy and rhyming and makes for a great read-aloud, especially with the repeated chorus of "Yippe-O-Ki-Yee!" We had read another variation, "I Know an Old Lady who Swallowed a Pie" last week, and so it was fun t ...more
Vivian
Feb 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This can be sung to the same tune as "I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly". (You can hear the tune here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiESi... )

If you're sharing this with a group be sure to include them each time the refrain says "Yippee-o-ki-yee!" and it's fun to pump an arm while saying it.

There are picture clues indicating what might be swallowed on the next page. Stop and tap the clue with your finger and ask questions like, "are you thinking what I'm thinking?" or "I have a bad feeli
Amber Cappitte
Aug 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I got this book at the Youngstown Public Library. I loved the cover and how colorful it was and the detail it showed. I have never heard of the book before so i was really excited to read it. After reading it I really liked it a lot. I loved how it was so colorful and showed a lot of detail. I love how it rhymed and it was entertaining as well. I feel like I will defiantly will have this book in my class, it makes me want to buy it for my own classroom !
Elizabeth
Sep 22, 2014 rated it liked it
This book has rhythm to it and is a lot of fun. It is pretty long and has a lot of words but it is very exciting and funny. It takes you on an adventure with a coyote who keeps eating more and more items to take care of the following item in his stomach and it all started with a pesky flea he plucked from his knee.
Thuy
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
The pages are beautifully illustrated, and the content is so much easier to digest than the little old lady with a morbid consequence to eating a fly.

Everytime I read "there was a coyote..." My Daughter would interject and point to the Coyote and call him "Mr Dog" and then giggle. She's so silly.
Cathy
Nov 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
There was a coyote who swallowed a flea, Plucked from his knee, that tickly flea. Yippee-o-Ki-Yee!

In the vein of "There was an old Lady who swallowed..."
The pictures are just delightful - the kids loved joining in and repeating the menu and the Yippee-o-Ki-Yee! made for a fun read aloud/along.
Melissa
The art is not my style, but it is lively and will appeal to those who like the extreme, crazy look of some cartoons. I like the "Yippee-o-ki-yee" a lot and some of the rhymes made me smile: "It takes lots of practice to swallow a cactus," and "You'd think he was full after gulping that bull." Kind of an abrupt ending, but then so does the original.
Angie
Feb 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture
So I liked this one ... but not as much as There Was an Old Monkey Who Swallowed a Frog.

Pictures were adorable. The rhymes in this one ... a little forced.
Christine Turner
Jan 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Set in the desert southwest, this variation on the traditional, cumulative rhyme looks at the consequences of a coyote's strange diet. www.hcpl.net

I adore Steve Gray's illustrations, and they make this book worth checking out. The author, Jennifer Ward, has done a good job keeping the theme.
Kerri Harshaw
This is a great western twist to "There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly". The text and illustrations are sure to make children laugh. The rhyming text builds upon itself each time the coyote swallows something new. This book provides great ideas for teaching different crafts in writing.
Stephanie
Mar 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
This a variation on the ol' "The Old Woman who swallowed a fly" rhyming story. It is a wonderfully fun read! I recommend it to anyone wanting to share the love of rhyme and to have some fun with it too!
Ashley
Oct 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
2007 - Traditional Literature
This is a southwestern spin off of the traditional idea of lady who swallowed a fly. The author and illustrator uses great humor that can easily rope students into this story.
Laura McLoughlin
A fine South-western inspired version of the "Old Lady who swallowed a fly" song. Some of the items ingested don't really make a lot of sense (a hat?). But it is silly, kids will enjoy. Would probably work well for story time or a classroom setting.
Kiera Turner
Jun 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: funny, desert
This book really gives my children in the classroom a great laugh! Every time I read it they laugh so hard! I love using this book for story recalling since the events start over and new events are added! Definitely a book to have in your classroom library!
Lindsay
Nov 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-my-kids
I really only gave this four stars because Bryant laughed so hard with this one, he thought the illustrations were hilarious, as was the story.
Lori S.
Jun 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Giggles
Rachel
Aug 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A take-off on There Was an Old Woman Who Swallowed a Fly. Another book my sons specifically asked for me to get for them again--they love it!
  • Shiver Me Letters: A Pirate ABC
  • Sunshine on My Shoulders
  • The Computer Teacher from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon, #19)
  • Grandma's Feather Bed (John Denver Series)
  • Bye-Bye, Big Bad Bullybug!
  • Buster Goes to Cowboy Camp
  • The Night Before St. Patrick's Day
  • Suddenly!
  • Chicken Little
  • Crazy Like a Fox: A Simile Story
  • Billy and Milly, Short and Silly!
  • The Hiccupotamus
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Chick!
  • Twenty-six Pirates: An Alphabet Book