Start by marking “There Was a Coyote Who Swallowed a Flea” as Want to Read:
There Was a Coyote Who Swallowed a Flea

There Was a Coyote Who Swallowed a Flea

Skinny ol' Coyote delights readers as he swallows his way though this delicious southwestern-flavored retelling of a beloved rhyme. As Coyote gets bigger, the story becomes zanier. Full color.
Published March 1st 2007 by Cooper Square Pub

To ask other readers questions about There Was a Coyote Who Swallowed a Flea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There Was a Coyote Who Swallowed a Flea

Start your review of There Was a Coyote Who Swallowed a Flea
Jodie Hughes
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is one of my favorites to read to my nieces. They LOVE it. The illustrations are gorgeous and the rhyming tale is funny. A great remake of There Was an Old Lady.
Kimberly
Someone needs to talk to this coyote about proper nutrition.
Honesty
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
There was a Coyote who swallowed a flea, is a story about a coyote who begins his journey of eating things. He starts small and only eats things that grow bigger and bigger. The gibber things he heats, the bigger coyote gets, and he doesn't just stop at eating a bird!
When I first saw the book I had an instant connection with it, maybe because its based in the desert with cacti, and coyotes, like Arizona, or maybe it was the name of the book itself that drew me in. The text is a fun rhyming and
Leigh
Mar 23, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: childrens-lit
I loved the illustrations in this book, but this is a substandard take-off on "There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly." Alison Jackson's "There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Pie" puts this book to shame.
Hannah
Oct 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: rdg-291
Jennifer Ward's western based story gives a new twist to the "There was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly". The hungry coyote eats anything and everything, from fleas to cacti to the moon. While eating everything in his wake, the coyote fails to get full and continues to eat objects that grow in size. The coyote never seems to get full and eats each item for a particular reason. I found it very amusing that the coyote eats more than just live organisms, but he also eats inanimate objects, such as ...more
Candy | Evianrei
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
This book was recommended to me by a friend when I asked for children's book recommendations. It is a new version, retelling of that classic story 'The Old Lady Who Swallowed A Fly'. I decided to get this one because I was never fond of the idea of an old woman eating a bunch of things, a coyote cartoonishly makes more sense and is less disturbing to think about. I also like the southern theme for this book being that my family lives in the south.

When I read this book to my little one (2 month
Amanda Schmitt
There Was a Coyote Who Swallowed a Flea is a catchy rhyming book about a very hungry coyote. The coyote slowly ate all the animals starting with a lizard, then a snake, and finally a flea. From here, the coyote moved on to bigger and better things such as a cactus and lastly the moon! Nevertheless, to make matters more absurd, he asked a silly phrase after completing his large meal: “when is breakfast?” Kids will get a hoot out of this funny book and with enough repetition, they can learn to ...more
Olivia Read
Nov 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Grade Level: K-1
Genre: Children's Fiction/Poetry
Review: This book is a fun read aloud for primary students to learn about writing. In addition, the text is simple enough for students to read it on their own. It is full of funny illustrations, rhyming, onomatopoeias, and more! A great activity to go along with this book is to have children add their stanza about the coyote swallowing the flea, complete with their own rhymes!

Plot:
Much in the style of "There was an Only Lady who Swallowed a Fly",
Jennifer Baxter
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was bought from my mother in law for my daughter. The old lady swallowed books are funny but this book took it to a whole new level of funny!!!!! My 6 year old daughter has already memorized this book. So cute!
Barbara
May 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Kids will love There Was a Coyote Who Swallowed a Flea by Jennifer Ward for the same reasons they love the familiar song, I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly! This enchanting tale will tickle everyone’s funnybone! The long list of “edibles” will keep kids laughing and they will enjoy trying to guess what he will eat next. Yippee-O-Ki-Yeee y’all! For ages 3 – 7.
Steph
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
First grade students love to have this book read to them. They love to participate in the refrain.
Good sense of repetition so the students can read along.
Liz Stoneking
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun Southwestern take on a children's classic song/poem. The illustrations alone are worth the read.
Kennedy Baydo
Jan 27, 2020 rated it liked it
This is a sing song book about a very hungry Coyote. This book is a western twist on “There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly” A fun book for all kids!
Erica Flory
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
cute
April Grob
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is so super cute!!!
angrykitty
Jul 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebook
it went on too long and so so.e of the things just didn't work...even for a "swallowed a...." book they didn't really work.
Kathy Wood
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you love There Was an Old Woman Who Swallowed books, then you will laugh your head off at what a Coyote will swallow.
Joy Schmidt
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fun variation of a beloved children's book. This has a desert southwest theme.
Susan ...so many books and so little time
My students and I loved this book!!!...so I ordered more books by this author!!!
Jessica Starzyk
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
This book was extremely silly. I thought that this could be a great book to teach about sequences and predictions. I think that the kids would laugh at the book just like I did. The artistic style fits very nicely with the location of where the story takes place.

Genre: Modern Fantasy
Grades: PreK - 2
Lisa Salinas
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Tiffany
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The illustrations. The illustrations. TheSE illustrations are phenomenal! Wow. The art in this book is what makes it 5 stars. The writing is a standard spin of the old lady, but not necessarily a phenomenal one. Nevertheless, our entire family LOVES both reading and looking at the illustrations in this book. It is one we would like to be a part of our personal library.
Karen
Feb 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
This book started out has a fun Southwestern take on The Woman Who Swallowed a Fly, but as the story continued it lost its cleverness and ended poorly. The art work saved this book.
McKenna Crimmins
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: eled-412, poetry
There was a coyote who swallowed a flea is a great book and one of my all time favorites. The writing is fun to hear and fun to read as well. The way that the words just flow out of your mouth while your reading is amazing. The pictures are funny and correspond to the writing very well. It's fun looking at the pictures and finding everything that the coyote was eating in his stomach and seeing what they were doing. Children love this book and it raises a lot of questions as to why the coyote was ...more
Ina
Nov 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-reads
The illustrations in this book are amazing. From the big eyed hungry coyote with his ribs showing to all of the items that coyote eats. This book is filled with desert images. The text is a wonderful south west variation of the rhyme "I know an old lady who swallowed a fly." The text is bouncy and rhyming and makes for a great read-aloud, especially with the repeated chorus of "Yippe-O-Ki-Yee!" We had read another variation, "I Know an Old Lady who Swallowed a Pie" last week, and so it was fun ...more
Vivian
Feb 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This can be sung to the same tune as "I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly". (You can hear the tune here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiESi... )

If you're sharing this with a group be sure to include them each time the refrain says "Yippee-o-ki-yee!" and it's fun to pump an arm while saying it.

There are picture clues indicating what might be swallowed on the next page. Stop and tap the clue with your finger and ask questions like, "are you thinking what I'm thinking?" or "I have a bad
Amber Cappitte
Aug 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I got this book at the Youngstown Public Library. I loved the cover and how colorful it was and the detail it showed. I have never heard of the book before so i was really excited to read it. After reading it I really liked it a lot. I loved how it was so colorful and showed a lot of detail. I love how it rhymed and it was entertaining as well. I feel like I will defiantly will have this book in my class, it makes me want to buy it for my own classroom !
Elizabeth
Sep 22, 2014 rated it liked it
This book has rhythm to it and is a lot of fun. It is pretty long and has a lot of words but it is very exciting and funny. It takes you on an adventure with a coyote who keeps eating more and more items to take care of the following item in his stomach and it all started with a pesky flea he plucked from his knee.
Thuy
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
The pages are beautifully illustrated, and the content is so much easier to digest than the little old lady with a morbid consequence to eating a fly.

Everytime I read "there was a coyote..." My Daughter would interject and point to the Coyote and call him "Mr Dog" and then giggle. She's so silly.
Cathy
Nov 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
There was a coyote who swallowed a flea, Plucked from his knee, that tickly flea. Yippee-o-Ki-Yee!

In the vein of "There was an old Lady who swallowed..."
The pictures are just delightful - the kids loved joining in and repeating the menu and the Yippee-o-Ki-Yee! made for a fun read aloud/along.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Don't Worry Book
  • Bear Wants More
  • The World According to Mister Rogers: Important Things to Remember
  • Book Fiesta!: Celebrate Children's Day/Book Day; Celebremos El dia de los ninos/El dia de los libros (Bilingual Spanish-English)
  • What Is the Story of Frankenstein?
  • Who Was Robert Ripley?
  • What Was the March on Washington?
  • I'll Teach My Dog 100 Words
  • 'Twas The Night Before Thanksgiving
  • Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes
  • Mother Bruce (Mother Bruce, Book 1)
  • Who Is Stan Lee?
  • Spaghetti in a Hot Dog Bun: Having the Courage To Be Who You Are
  • Who Was Milton Hershey?
  • Cryptid Country (Cryptid Zoo #2)
  • Who Is R. L. Stine? (Who Was?)
  • What Was the Berlin Wall?