Start by marking “Smaller and Smaller Circles” as Want to Read:
Smaller and Smaller Circles

Smaller and Smaller Circles

Smaller and Smaller Circles is unique in the Philippine literary scene - a Pinoy detective novel, both fast-paced and intelligent, with a Jesuit priest who also happens to be a forensic anthropologist as the sleuth. When it won the Carlos Palanca Grand Prize for the English Novel in 1999, it proved that fiction can be both popular and literary.

F.H. Batacan has a degree in
Paperback, UP Jubilee Student Edition, 155 pages
Published 2007 by The University of the Philippines Press (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Smaller and Smaller Circles, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jackie
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Smaller and Smaller Circles
Jr Bacdayan
One man’s trash is another man’s treasure, I’m sure we’ve all heard of this overused line. However in my country, sadly, this is to be taken literally. There are people who depend on trash as their main source of income. A sad reality where both adults and kids usually go through the dumps and scavenge anything they can from recyclables to broken electronics and even half-eaten food. Forced by abject poverty, immune to the stench, these people depend on foul, rotting garbage because it is the ...more
K.D. Absolutely
Jul 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommended to K.D. by: Kristel
Kudos to F. H. Batacan for writing the only contemporary detective Filipino novel in English. She, who now resides in Singapore, made a breakthrough with this book as it proved that Filipinos do read and appreciate good books outside our usual genres: love, romance, family drama, humor, politics and comics.

Well, aside from the fact this book being a required reading in some colleges particularly in Philippine Literature courses, I think there are still some of us who read this for pleasure. I
Book Riot Community
The thing about voraciously reading mystery/crime/suspense is that while you still enjoy the books, you inevitably hit a wall where you’re rarely surprised and you can easily guess all the tropes to come. So color me happily surprised to start reading Smaller and Smaller Circles to discover two Jesuit priests (a forensic anthropologist and psychologist) are asked to consult in order to help identify and stop a serial killer—definitely one I’ve never read before. This book was dark, smart, took ...more
LJ
First Sentence: Some days I just can’t seem to focus.

The body of a young boy is found in Payatas, a massive dump where people, especially young boys, scavenge for their existence. The severely mutilated body has been brought to Father Gus Saenz, a Jesuit priest and respected forensic anthropologist. However, this isn’t a singular case and Father Gus, along with his friend, psychologist Father Jerome Lucero, is asked by the Director of the National Bureau of Investigation to help find the
Elizabeth (Alaska)
This was definitely more thriller than mystery. I don't make much time for thrillers because I find myself with other things in front of me, so this was a rather huge departure from my usual fare. The priests are in a race to find the serial killer before he kills again. The murders are rather grisly. The GR description uses the word "eviscerated" which is less graphic than the words used in the book.

The prose is better than I might have expected and the plot good enough though perhaps not
Ranee
Aug 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of suspense thrillers
10-9-8...A circle is formed in the middle of the ground. Those found outside are dead. Ravaged by unknown beings in the darkness. Those that remain in the circle lives.
7-6-5… But the circle grows small. More and more people fall off the edge and is smothered by the dark flames. Makes you want to think, "Is this hell?" But the silence in the darkness just covers your voice. You squeak now, and then you realize, all that remains is you, alone. The circle continues to shrink below your feet until I
Lauren
This is an intriguing mystery set in the burroughs of Manila, Philippines. Two Jesuit priests, a medical anthropologist (Fr. Saenz) and a psychologist (Fr. Lucero) assist the NBI (the National Bureau of Investigation) with a string of grisly murders taking place in and around a poverty-stricken area surrounded by a municipal trash dump.

The crime story follows the procedural path (it is a pageturner!), but the strength of the book is in the details about Filipino daily life, socioeconomics, and
Cher
3 stars - It was good.

A fairly predictable mystery, but I really enjoyed the Filipino cultural inclusions in the novel. I had also never read a murder mystery where Jesuit priests are collaborating with the police to solve a case, which made for an intriguing juxtaposition.
-------------------------------------------
Favorite Quote: We are powerless when we wait for other people to act on our behalf.

First Sentence: Emil is running after his slum kids, panting in the noonday sun, loosening the high
Hapi Hapi (Po)
Dec 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Masterpiece!...exciting, moving, amusing, and intense in chasing the killer.

For me this is like the Filipino version of Silence of the Lamb, Hannibal Lecter, and the movie Identity starring John Cusack.

The plot is good and descriptive about the events.

Recommended for science and medical field topics.
Lisa
May 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
I like this police procedural novel for the social and cultural aspects. Set in the Philippines, it illuminates the lives of Manila's poor and its stratified society. Plus - the lead investigators are Jesuit priests! But as a crime novel, it is fairly mediocre and at times plods along.
Rincey
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe it is because I really was in the mood for a mystery/thriller or maybe it is because I reached the epic ending of the book the night of a thunderstorm, but man that was a good book. Definitely some unevenness and shows the signs of being a debut novel, but still really good. Watch my full review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wImCI...
Divine
This was engaging and disturbing and quite relevant. I feel like I'm not well equipped to review this right now but this was definitely a great read!
Maria
May 03, 2013 rated it liked it
I like Smaller and Smaller Circles.

... So I must have read or watched too many crime stories already, because this was just okay for me. But considering that a Filipino author penned Smaller and Smaller Circles, I will admit it was a little impressive.

Two Jesuit priests are being consulted over a series of murders in the slums of Manila. They do have credentials as consultants, I think the background is anthropology..? Anyway, the victims are boys within the cusp of puberty. As soon as they went
Katie
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, own-voices
I will write a review but I want to ask Clarisse some questions about life in the Philippines before I do so I don't make any ridiculously untrue comments.
O
Smaller and Smaller Circles is one of those rare one-of-a-kind books that you discover by some lucky stroke of fate and treasure for a lifetime.

This probably sounds like an exaggeration, but it's certainly true for me because:

1. It's written by a Filipino author. We don't exactly have a bazillion authors here spewing out books of all kinds for us to read every day. (Well, I suppose Wattpad stories are all the craze nowadays, but I'm not part of the target audience and am not interested in
Nancy Oakes
plot and more at my online journal's crime page -- here.

Let's face it...serial killer novels these days are a dime a dozen, so there has to be something to differentiate the good ones from the ho-hum and the same old same old. Author F.H. Batacan has found the way to do it. Her book Smaller and Smaller Circles is not your average hunt-for-the-serial-killer story, but rather a look at how politics, corruption, the power of the church, and the desire for power all get in the way of getting to the
Joy Bordador
Jan 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
F. H. Batacan’s “Smaller and Smaller Circles,” one of seven novels released as part of the U.P. Jubilee Students’ Edition, is a rarity in the Philippine writing scene because it is a crime novel set in the Philippines. It is touted by the U.P. Press, its publisher, as more of a pocketbook than a piece of required reference material with its slick pacing, its engaging story and its late 1990’s sensibility.

At the start, a series of murders are discovered in and around the Payatas district in
Joaquin Mejia
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-philippines
I have not read any book about the Philippines, whether fiction or non-fiction, for quite a long time now. It is because most books about the Philippines are either too heavy, too dark, or a mix of both. That is why I stopped searching for Filipino books even if my "to-read" shelf in Goodreads was filled with them. I was just not in the mood for those kinds of books. I mostly likely would never had read this book anytime soon if my school did not require me to read it.

"Smaller and Smaller
leslye
Jan 04, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction
I'll give this book three stars because of the unique locale, interesting characters, and good descriptive writing. A crime novel set in the Philippines with two priests acting as detectives is not exactly run of the mill. The story is centered on the mutilation murders of young boys- the poorest of the poor in Manila.

There are three themes to the story: the murders, the political corruption, and the irresponsibility of the Catholic Church. The social conscience themes definitely come through in
Biena (The Library Mistress)
Stuck between 4 and 5, in the end, I think, I'm giving this a 4.5. :D

I want to be Joanna Bonifacio. Ugh, I really want to be like her. Hahaha. But I'd prolly do a better job in producing a fun and youthful show than a crime-driven program as I am as soft as Fr. Jerome.

Oh well, what can I say? I enjoyed this book very much.

I'm not afraid of crime novels anymore.
Lynai
Nov 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Lynai by: Emir Never
A brilliant crime fiction by a Filipino author in a Philippine setting. I am impressed. I want to read more Filipino books like this. More thoughts soon.
Leigh Puzon
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember reading this for our Philippine literature class in college, several years ago, but I don't remember the story. I was surprised to see this title last year in bookstores, with a very nice cover change. And then I learned that it's also being sold in other parts of the world. This really made me happy, that it's getting the attention I think it deserves.

Simply put, this follows the investigation of a serial killer case. I thought the flow of the story is 'by the formula', just like
Rob
Jul 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A reread.

This is a straightforward detective fare, the sort of material you wish you'd see more in local bookstores, less of the shit romantic taglish stuff. It’s CSI: Philippines with priests. Batacan's priority was to tell the story, not to make a guessing game for the readers. Virtually no one believes the Philippines has a bunch of serial killers on the loose; Batacan makes it plausible using ‘missing’ statistics that the overworked/inept police don't keep track of.

The characters are
Jessica Woodbury
A very strong crime novel from the Philippines. I love reading international crime and this book does exactly what I want: it takes me to a place I have never seen before and shows me how it works from one specific point of view.

The protagonists are two priests whose education and skills have them consulting with national law enforcement. The agency and its local counterparts are unskilled and often full of corruption. At a murder scene, pictures aren't taken, evidence isn't gathered, the steps
Maria Ella
I hope the expanded edition of the first novella will not disappoint.
Reg
Mar 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All my countrymen who plan on working with any profession involving our justice system!
Recommended to Reg by: BookClubPH
Actual rating: 3.5

WARNING! Rant unrelated to the story proper:
What I discovered with myself while reading this book is how green I am when it comes to books set in my own country and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.
It was a struggle to read not because it was badly written but because it felt like I was reading for a school requirement and not for pleasure. This is in part to blame due to the fact that the novels I read for pleasure are mostly set in countries foreign to me. I have been
Gieliza
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars!

When a boy's mutilated body was found in the Payatas garbage dump, the NBI enlisted the help of Father Gus Saenz, the country's top forensic anthropologist, and his colleague Father Jerome Lucero, a psychologist. They are soon on the trail of a serial killer and they must race to catch him before he kills agan.

The mystery plot of this novel is one of the neatest, most linear mysteries that I've read. Plot, clues, evidence, solution--all neatly laid out with nary a red herring in sight.
Jazz Keep Reading
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Deserves the "award winning" title. I enjoyed how it attempts to show reality surely, filipino readers will like this book. The scenes were easy to imagine and analyze because of its connection to the real happenings in the country. I gave this book 4.5/5
Anne
Smaller and Smaller Circles is a very pleasant surprise. It truly is unique in the Philippine literary scene because, as far as I know, no one has dared to talk about crime and murder and forensics in a novel, and to be able to render it completely intelligent and gripping. The protagonist here is a Jesuit priests who also happen to be forensic anthropologist; and now his task is to uncover the truth behind the ruthless and gruesome murders taking a toll on the lives of young boys in Payatas.

Tuck
one of very few filipino noir novels ever in english, a sort of serial killer procedural but main sleuths are catholic priests. topic is child molestation with an interesting side plot/conundrum of priest molesters, though main plot is of public school molesters, but anyway, a great debut novel detailing the very poor in manila, the city dump neighborhoods and touches on politics, media, police, church, everyday culture and food, living conditions, even some nice weather involved. a super good ...more

• ‘GAPÔ (at isang puting Pilipino, sa mundo ng mga Amerikanong kulay brown)
  • Dekada '70 (Ang Orihinal at Kumpletong Edisyon)
  • Dusk (Rosales Saga, #1)
  • Si Janus Sílang at ang Tiyanak ng Tábon (Janus Sílang, #1)
  • Bata, Bata... Pa'no Ka Ginawa?
  • Kapitan Sino
  • Macarthur
  • Si Janus Sílang at ang Pitumpu't Pitong Púsong (Janus Sílang, #3)
  • Si Janus Sílang at ang Labanáng Manananggal-Mambabarang (Janus Sílang, #2)
  • Florante at Laura
  • The Mango Bride
  • The Quiet Ones
  • Ang Kagila-gilalas na Pakikipagsapalaran ni Zsazsa Zaturnnah
  • Para Kay B (o kung paano dinevastate ng pag-ibig ang 4 out of 5 sa atin)
  • Ilustrado
  • Dwellers
  • Walong Diwata ng Pagkahulog
  • Tree (Rosales Saga, #2)
Maria Felisa H. Batacan is a Filipino journalist and a writer of crime and mystery fiction. Her work has been published in the Philippines and abroad under the name F.H. Batacan.

She was a fellow at the 1996 Dumaguete National Writers' Workshop.

Batacan worked in the Philippine intelligence community and then became a broadcast journalist. She attended the University of the Philippines, where she
“We are powerless when we wait for other people to act on our behalf.” 13 likes