Start by marking “Mutiny's Daughter” as Want to Read:
Mutiny's Daughter

Mutiny's Daughter

3.52  ·  Rating details ·  315 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
What if? In the most famous mutiny in the world, Fletcher Christian risked imprisonment by leading a rebellion aboard the HMS Bounty in 1789. But what happened to Fletcher Christian after that? There were stories that he survived a vicious massacre in the South Pacific and boarded a ship back to England. We know that he had several children by his Polynesian wife, includin ...more
Published June 1st 2005 by HarperTrophy (first published 2004)

Rebekah
Feb 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book is the story of a young girl whose father is the famous mutineer Christian Fletcher. Mary never knew her father but she believes she sees him sometimes in the streets of London by her boarding school.
Jeanine
Nov 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
I love this book alot. But it has some challenging vocab for some people but not for me!
Rebecca
Apr 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In her latest historical novel, Ann Rinaldi tells a "what-if" story. She imagines what might have happened had Fletcher Christian, who led the famous mutiny on the HMS Bounty, returned to England with Mary, his daughter by his Polynesian wife. Mary Christian is fourteen when this novel opens, and ever since she was brought to England at five years old, she has been forced to live a lie. Raised by her grandmother, she must tell anyone who asks that her uncle is her true father, for her grandmothe ...more
Mara
This is a wonderful "what if" story, filled with Rinaldi's classic historical detail, adding such life to her fiction that it's hard to pick the made-up from the facts. Mary is a very well balanced heroine, neither too forceful nor too meek, though perhaps a little too accepting of her situations at times. Still, she is a good narrator; one that doesn't get on one's nerves.

The only flaw with this particular Ann Rinaldi novel? Like all boarding-school stories, there is the jerky prim and proper g
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
The story takes place in 1808 and is based on The Mutiny on the Bounty, centering on Fletcher Christian, the leader of the mutiny, and his daughter. In the story, it's assumed that he survived a massacre on an island where he and other crew members had lived, and had somehow managed to get back to England with his daughter. She is attending school in London, but has had no contact with her father since being left with others.

The story gives some insight into how rough life was for those who liv
Alyssa
Nov 07, 2010 rated it liked it
This book was defineately interesting! It was about the daughter of a mutineer that was brought to england. At first the book was quite dry and a bit boring, but keep reading 'cause it perks up some in the middle. The characters were fine, the plot was ok, and the setting was fine. It was almost a knockoff of "The Little Princess", but it was still good. Nothing made me really love or really hate this book so I'll give 3 stars.
Debbie
Jun 17, 2016 rated it did not like it
"Mutiny's Daughter" by Ann Rinaldi was a very poorly written novel that posed the question: what if Fletcher Christian from "The Mutiny on the Bounty" had had a daughter and returned her to England? The story rambled and never arrived at a satisfactory conclusion. The characters showed little development. And the plot was pointless. I was surprised at how awful the book was. I absolutely recommend moving past this book to something much better.
Peggy
Apr 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I knew about the "Mutiny on the Bounty" story but was not very familiar with what led to the mutiny. This book approaches the story from the viewpoint of Mary, the daughter of Fletcher Christian, leader of the mutiny,and speculates on what might have happened if father and daughter were reunited. This was an interesting perspective on the background of the mutiny and a reminder that our actions affect many people.
Kelli
Dec 22, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
As with any Ann Rinaldi book, you get the very best of research. This was one that I thought to concept and premise of the story seemed more exciting than the actual read. As I get older, I am getting to the point that, when I reread Ann Rinaldi's books, I am not satisfied with her endings (with the except of a few).
Sydney Reithinger
Oct 17, 2013 rated it liked it
I found this book to be interesting for a historical novel. I liked this book, but found it boring at some points. I enjoyed learning about a girl similar to my age living in London in the 1800s. It was interesting to hear how they spoke, acted, and dressed back then. I recommend this book to younger readers, as it is more of a children's book than an adult novel.
Susie
Aug 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable read.What if Fletcher Christian did survive the massacre on Pitcairn Island. He did have children by his Polynesian wife. What if his daughter Mary was sent to London? This book deals with how Mary learns to survive in a boarding school in London and how she longs to see her father just one more time.
Jenny
Mar 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: teen, historical
Mary Fletcher hides a secret past. Her father is Fletcher Christian, instigator of the mutiny aboard the Bounty. Now at school in London, Mary must pretend she is the daughter of her Uncle Charles. If anyone discovers her real identity, her family would be disgraced. Will Mary keep her secret, and will she ever see her father again?
Michelle
Jun 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
The "What if..." of the famous mutiny of the HMS Bounty in 1789 by Fletcher Christian. It follows the story of his daughter and her longing for a father, her journey of growing up and discovery. A fast, entertaining, sweet read.
Dan Rogers
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Being familiar with both Ann Rinaldi and story of The Mutiny on the Bounty I just had to read this book. I true Ann Rinaldi fashion, this is such a wonderful "what if" story. As with all her works which I've read, this was very enjoyable and well done.
Books4m
May 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Such a good imaginaive, historical piece. I really enjoyed the story and the slight mystery
Abbiey
Jul 20, 2010 rated it liked it
it was great and heartwarming
Carol Hahn
Sep 10, 2013 rated it liked it
While the story was pleasant enough, I didn't find it as historically accurate as some of her other books. This was definitely a "what if...." story.
Michelle
Feb 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
VERY GOOD BOOK! if you enjoy reading pirate novels than this one is one you must read!
Jolene Knighton
May 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
So many other better novels out there. It was just o.k.
Karen Gibson
Nov 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
another by one of my favorite authors--Ann Rinandi
Clara
Nov 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
kinda weird
Jessie
Jul 09, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: england
I love historical fiction but Mutiny's Daughter was not my cup of tea.
Tracy
Dec 05, 2008 rated it it was ok
Weak plot and characters.
Amy
rated it it was ok
Oct 01, 2013
Mary
Apr 30, 2016 rated it liked it
I always learn something when I read historical fiction.
Mary
Sep 22, 2015
Allison
Aug 05, 2014
  • Crown and Jewel
  • One Eye Laughing, the Other Weeping: The Diary of Julie Weiss (Dear America)
  • Cécile: Gates of Gold (Girls of Many Lands)
  • Flame-Colored Taffeta
  • When Christmas Comes Again: The World War I Diary of Simone Spencer (Dear America)
  • Valley of the Moon: The Diary of María Rosalía de Milagros, Sonoma Valley, Alta Valley, California, 1846, (Dear America)
  • Where Have All the Flowers Gone?: The Diary of Molly MacKenzie Flaherty (Dear America)
  • A Time For Courage: The Suffragette Diary of Kathleen Bowen (Dear America)
  • Land of the Buffalo Bones: The Diary of Mary Ann Elizabeth Rodgers, An English Girl in Minnesota (Dear America)
  • Cannons at Dawn: The Second Diary of Abigail Jane Stewart, Valley Forge, Pennsylvania, 1779 (Dear America)
  • All the Stars in the Sky: The Santa Fe Trail Diary of Florrie Mack Ryder (Dear America)
  • Look to the Hills: The Diary of Lozette Moreau, a French Slave Girl (Dear America)
  • Saba: Under the Hyena's Foot (Girls of Many Lands)
  • Prison Ship
  • Lady of Palenque : Flower of Bacal, Mesoamerica, A.D. 749
  • The Girl Who Chased Away Sorrow: The Diary of Sarah Nita, a Navajo Girl (Dear America)
  • Kristina: The Girl King, Sweden, 1638
  • Leyla: The Black Tulip (Girls of Many Lands)
Ann Rinaldi (b. August 27, 1934, in New York City) is a young adult fiction author. She is best known for her historical fiction, including In My Father's House, The Last Silk Dress, An Acquaintance with Darkness, A Break with Charity, and Hang a Thousand Trees with Ribbons. She has written a total of forty novels, eight of which were listed as notable by the ALA. In 2000, Wolf by the Ears was lis ...more
More about Ann Rinaldi...