Start by marking “The Dutiful Rake” as Want to Read:
The Dutiful Rake

The Dutiful Rake

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  481 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
THE RAKE'S REDEMPTION ...

The Earl of Rutherford was used to flirting with scandal. But when an act of charity placed his charge's spotless reputation in jeopardy, Marcus knew he must do the honorable thing. There was no point in pretending he was in love. So in return for Miss Marguerite Fellowes's discretion and children, the earl offered his name and protection.

Then Marc
Published July 1st 2004 by Harlequin

To ask other readers questions about The Dutiful Rake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dutiful Rake

Ridley
In many ways a standard "Earl of Slut reformed by virtuous country mouse," I nevertheless enjoyed how Rolls played with the concept of public and private in this book.

Meg and Marc are different people than Lord and Lady Rutherford, and in writing out both their public and private characters I felt I got an especially deep view of who these people were. Their dual natures explained their many misunderstandings and kept them from growing tedious, though I certainly still enjoyed Marc's apologies
Jess the Romanceaholic
Jhenn
Dec 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
3.5 STARS

The Dutiful Rake wasn't nearly as predictable as I thought it would be and I loved the heroine, though many of the misunderstandings would have been cleared by simply talking to her husband. The secondary characters, particularly Lady Di, her husband and Jack, add dimension to the story. They embrace Meg, the heroine, in spite of the 10 year old scandal surrounding her family. It was a nice break from a few of the other historical romances I've read with a similar story line in which th
Christine (KizzieReads)
I love historical romances. The banter between the characters always puts a smile on your face. The writing in this was good. I would have liked a bit more about why Winterborn always went after Marcs mistresses. It never explained this. I hope there wasn't a book before this as goodreads.com has this as a standalone.
Kesha
Dec 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Book would have been so much better without the constant miscommunications. Honestly, if you know someone tried to rape your wife why would you leave her alone, in a new town knowing that the almost raper runs in the same circles as your new wife.
Yackie
Mar 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
2.5 Stars

This book was just okay. I was annoyed by the main characters. I don't usually mind the "misunderstandings" storyline but found myself annoyed in this one. They were just stupid. I found the whole Marc/Lord Rutherford, Meg/Lady Rutherford annoying as well. And I cringed every time Marc called Meg "little one." She wasn't a small woman so that, to me, was in reference to her age. And calling your wife "little one" while in bed is just creepy. Thank goodness it wasn't said often.

I found
Jasey
Jan 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Cherie
May 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
I really enjoyed this book. Marcus is a strong, handsome rake who fears love because he fears losing it. His mother and father had a loving relationship and wanted more children and she died in childbirth. Crazy I know, but he fears losing love so much he avoids it altogether and denies his desire to be loved also.

Meg is so innocent and sincere one might think she'd be boring but she is quite the opposite. Instead she is refreshing. Because of her ignorance and his fear they spend quite a few pa
Flavia Sugnu
Jun 09, 2014 rated it liked it
This is the second book I've read by Elizabeth and I'm neither disappointed or ecstatic. IMO, this book and another of her own, His Lady Mistress, do have some similarities, I do think that Meg from this book was a stronger character than Verity from the other ( they both have a similar upbringing though Meg's did seem a little less harsh), however the use of misunderstandings was used heavily in both books as was the male leads' fondness for second guessing his wife.
I do like these novels, in
Debi Samuels
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
SPOILER Not the best written book in the world. The plot is confusing, they seem to spend the entire book arguing with a hasty reconciliation at the end. For such an evil "bad guy" blaise ends up as a let down, if the kidnapping had been longer, maybe letting them get away first a good chase would have improved it. The characters are very underdeveloped. marc swings so wildly I would expect him to be diagnosed with some form of bipolar. generally this book was an overall meh.
Alisa
Sep 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
I liked this book better than some others I've read. I knew the ending was coming but the way she wrote it it wasn't predictable. Nice epilogue. Didn't feel like the story just ended. Two very stubborn characters.
Elaine
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
More of a 3.5*. Liked the book for the most part, but felt like there was too much drama. Will have to read more by this author, as this was the first I read. Need to see how I feel about the next one I read.
Rose
One of my favorite Regency Romances! It is kind of average, I guess, not very original, but it is written so that the characters come to life, and you are so intrigued by what will happen to them next!
LuzAdri
May 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Ive discovered a new author and determined to read all her books. They are very well written and the storyline are all about romance.
Diana
Halfway through, I found myself yelling at the characters for all The Big Assumptions they're making. Would've saved a lot if trouble if they had just, oh, I don't know... talked?
Rie_dominique
Jun 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
stupid couple!
Michelle
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book about Meg and Marc. Their interaction was wonderful, and the way that she wrote Meg, I really felt her feelings of rejection. WONDERFUL!
Diana
Sep 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
2.5. The middle was so annoying I almost stopped reading.
Robin
Jan 15, 2011 rated it liked it
It was a cheap book on Kindle and I needed something to occupy my time. It wasn't a great book but it was a good romance that I did enjoy.
Carrie
3.5/5
I really enjoyed the first half, but shortly after they got to London I got frustrated with everyone. I liked Jack much better in this book than his own story.
Jul 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Nicely written, traditional Regency (with a little married passion to spice it up). Likable characters, plausible motivations and a nasty villain or two just to keep things moving.
Kimngan Tran
Apr 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Overall I like it, but if I add all the part that I hate about it, then I would say that I think it was an ok book.
Samantha Garman
Dec 16, 2015
Puneet Monga
Apr 23, 2017
Donna
rated it did not like it
Aug 21, 2014
Omegageek
Mar 23, 2013
Richa
Jul 23, 2012
  • Miss Winthorpe's Elopement (Belston & Friends #1)
  • Mutual Consent
  • The Penniless Bride
  • The Shy Duchess
  • A Gentleman of Substance
  • The Earl's Untouched Bride
  • Anne's Perfect Husband (Sinclair Bride, #2)
  • His Majesty, the Prince of Toads
  • The Accidental Countess (Once Upon An Accident, #1)
  • The Bargain Bride
  • The Dissolute Duke (Wellinghams, #4)
  • Sold and Seduced
  • His Cavalry Lady
  • Vicar's Daughter to Viscount's Lady (Transformation of the Shelley Sisters, #2)
  • Once a Gentleman (Ladies' Fashionable Cabinet, #3)
  • A Perfect Scoundrel
  • A Waltz at Midnight
  • A Matter of Choice
We live in the Adelaide Hills of South Australia, in a beautiful lush valley full of apple, pear and cherry orchards. We moved here a couple of years back, escaping from the city and it’s just gorgeous. The property is small, only five acres, but we have room for two small noisy boys, three dogs, two cats and several woolly things masquerading a environmentally friendly lawnmowers. Before that we ...more
More about Elizabeth Rolls...