Start by marking “When You Give a Duke a Diamond (Jewels of the Ton, #1)” as Want to Read:
When You Give a Duke a Diamond (Jewels of the Ton, #1)

When You Give a Duke a Diamond

(Jewels of the Ton #1)

He had a perfectly orderly life...

William, the sixth Duke of Pelham, enjoys his punctual, securely structured life. Orderly and predictable—that's the way he likes it. But he's in the public eye, and the scandal sheets will make up anything to sell papers. When the gossip papers link him to Juliette, one of the most beautiful and celebrated courtesans in London, chaos do
Published September 4th 2012 by Sourcebooks Casablanca (first published August 2nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about When You Give a Duke a Diamond, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When You Give a Duke a Diamond

Start your review of When You Give a Duke a Diamond (Jewels of the Ton, #1)
Susanne
Sep 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
"The princess showed Will he didn't have to love in this fortress. He could exist outside its wall. He could laugh. He could have fun. He’d never had fun before because this Will was a duke. And dukes were supposed to be serious and act in a manner that befitted their stations. Dukes do not have fun."

…Her breathing seemed regular, and the thought she must have fallen asleep. He lowered his voice to a murmur.

"And then one day the princess told Will she loved him. That was
Duchess Nicole
I hoped to love this but I kept getting held back from really liking the heroine for some reason.

The "three diamonds" are courtesans...a nice word for prostitute back then, only supposedly for one man at a time. And the heroine in this book is one of the three diamonds, a very popular trio. Events lead her to meet the Duke and all of London is abuzz with talk of the "Dangerous Duke" and the "Duchess of Dalliance".

I couldn't get over the fact that Juliette wouldn't come clean about her past, an
Ingie
Written May 24, 2014

3 Stars - Sweet and amusing - though not a brilliant audio narration

This has been my "listening" romance these last days.

My friend (and compatriot) Susanne (a devoted m/f HR reader) liked it and after having had the e-book unread for quite some time I downloaded the audiobook for just a couple of dollars a few days ago.

A fairly traditional HR romance about a stiff and cold duke and a blond beautiful courtesan sounded pretty fun. ~ These historical (rather ridiculous and predictable sometimes2014
Katherine
Well, now I have a splitting headache.
 photo tumblr_n12xexNrlN1trmkp7o1_500_zpssm5jrw3b.gif
I love anything with the word historical in front of it. Historical fiction, historical fantasy, historical speculative fiction, you name it. But the one genre that I never seemed to get around to (aka I avoided it like the plague), was historical romance, which I put into the same category as bodice rippers. AKA, there
Carol Cork *Young at Heart Oldie*
This is my first book by Shana Galen and I can understand why she is one of the foremost authors of Historical Romance. I loved this opposites attract story with its entertaining blend of romance and mystery.

To paraphrase the opening lines of ‘Hart to Hart’, one of my favourite TV shows:

This is William, the sixth Duke of Pelham. He is rich, powerful and influential. His world is one of order, decorum and punctuality.
This
Feminista
Jun 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Sammy Loves Books
***4.0 "Courtesans Need Love Too" Stars***

Juliet, the Duchess of Dalliance

description

Loved the heroine and her scarred hero. The Duke of Pelham was a snooty ass and I loved watching him fall hard. I can't wait to read the next installment of this series!!
Lisa
Jun 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Juliette is one of London's most dazzling courtesans. With the nickname Duchess of Dalliance, given to her by the Prince Regent himself, and her ice blue eyes and pale blond hair she is a vision of beauty and also of mystery. Her protector, nicknamed the Earl of Sin, also has two more courtesans--the Marchioness of Mystery and the Countess of Charm--and together they are a force to be reckoned with. But when Juliette witnesses a shocking murder, her life gets turned upside down when she must tel ...more
Gilgamesha
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars...I didn't like the hero at all. The heroine and secondary characters are what made this book enjoyable even if the plot line was too unrealistic even for a HR.
Lover of Romance
William, the Duke of Pelham, is adamant in being punctual and formal at all times. That there is always a plan in advance with every detail known. William knows that it is time to marry and beget a heir, as his duty. When he arrives in London for business and to continue his courtship of the woman he plans to marry, his world is turned topsy turvy when he meets Juliette and all the drama that accompanies her. When a gossip column claims that William and Juliette are having a affair, he is outrag ...more
Daisy Sloan
[image error]

I love contemporary romances with their fast paced storylines and faster paced romances. However, I cut my romance reading teeth on historical romances and as such, I harbor a special place for them in reading heart.

When you Give a Duke a Diamond is on FANTASTIC good read! I LOVED every minute of this book! This happens to be one of the better historical romances that I have read, and I’ve read quite a few in my many years!

When You Give a Duke a Diamond jumps right into the story. There’s no build up, it’s
Angelc
Sep 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing

4.5 Stars

This regency romance is a lot of fun, and sweet at the same time. It's a really good mix of fluffy romance with a lot of heart and tender feeling as well.

Will is really a different sort of hero, which a good thing. He's so ordered and punctual almost to a fault. I really liked this side of his personality, especially when we get to know why exactly he acts that way. At the same time, he can be very very cold, especially to Juliette, which isn't so good. However,
Insh
Mar 19, 2018 rated it liked it
"only a diamond can cut another diamond."

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Posted on Under the Covers

In a fresh new beginning to a series, Shana Galen brings forth scandal, mystery and the perfect balance of class and seduction.

Juliette is just one of the celebrated courtesans called Three Diamonds. Dubbed as the Duchess of Dalliance, she is in the constant eye of society where her actions and her non-actions are heavily noted./>4.5
Kat ~ Forever Book Lover ♥
You can find this review and more at Forever Book Lover.

I will tell you the truth, I was hesitant in reading this book, I just didn't think I was going to bond with the heroine, I mean really, how could the lead character be a courtesan ?? So I put this one off a bit, then I found myself with a little free time between author commitments and I thought I would give this book a try. I have read Shana Galen's previous work and loved it, so maybe, just maybe this one would work for me..
Jane Stewart
I was repeatedly annoyed with the story. I was also annoyed with hearing the audiobook narrator’s breaths.

The premise of Juliette being a courtesan, the why, and her actions were ridiculous. Her actions did not fit her motivations – a violation of writing rules. I describe it in Spoiler below.

There were some plot events that could have been interesting, but they were not developed. Instead most of the story is internal angst and pondering. She tells him something false an
Blodeuedd Finland
Sometimes I think too much when reading historical romance (while still really enjoying the book of course). And yes of course I thought about things here. A duke and a courtesan? Oh no! The ton would be horrified, their future children would suffer from it. And sure there was that point when I was all and she is a courtesan cos? But this is historical romance, this is meant to make you smile and feel happy and that is does do just that.

William is, oh how to describe him, he has a st
Lara
Jan 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: z-2013
My first Shana Galen is a story of the courtesan who is not what she seems and the Duke who needs to loosen things up a bit. One think I appreciated was the way Juliette was so aware of her role, and the need to actively maintain it. She was also terrified at certain parts, and acted believably as a woman of that time--she froze or ran, she didn't fight.

I was disappointed in the instant attraction/chemistry despite never having met. Also, the Duke changed a bit too completely too qui
Donna
Sep 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Although I've been reading historical romances for a very long time, I was late in discovering Shana Galen. I'm trying to catch up on her older books. I loved this book! The hero is a stuffy Duke with a not so great childhood. The heroine is not what she seems to be. This book has a little of everything - mystery, bad guys, and a great romance. I'm reading the rest of this series asap.
Denise
May 23, 2016 rated it liked it
One of these times, I would like to see a courtesan NOT marry and actually live out her life happily as the mistress. They don't all have to get the wedding and titles. There are other happy endings. That doesn't happen though, she marries the Duke and yada yada yada.
Bev Ross
Jan 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!

Love the intrigue! Mixed in with the romance and suspense! Juliet and
Will were a humorous couple! She loosened him up into a decent Duke!
Ella Quinn
Oct 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a great read. I loved how Juliette related to Will and brought him out of his shell kicking and screaming all the way.
Kate
Dec 27, 2017 rated it liked it
So...I mostly enjoyed this one. The characters, dynamics between them and plot were intriguing enough and I liked reading about how Juliette slowly coaxed Will out of his shell. At the same time, I feel like abuse that Juliette went through with her husband was somewhat neglected - yes, I saw her stand up to him but apart from that and a few other times I was TOLD about her past experiences, I feel like there weren't many times I was SHOWN the effects the abuse of her ex husband had on her.

Shayla McBride
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
The poor, privileged, pompous Duke of Pembroke keeps himself in a box: scheduled, restricted, stifled. Rumors swirl that he's having an affair with the Duchess of Dalliance. A courtesan? Horrors! Juliette, the nor-quite-a-lady involved, fights back when Pembroke cuts her. Murder intervenes and throws these adversaries together with predictable results but an unpredictable outcome. Nicely tense.. Good plot line, good characters, well written.
Cindy
I've not been a huge fan in the past of regency era novels. This book however has made me a fan. I read it in about 7 hours basically only putting it down a few times. It was. So. Good. It was good enough that I'm going to break my own rule of only reading books on Kindle Unlimited and I'm going to buy the second book in the series right now so I can get started. If it is half as good as When You Give a Duke a Diamond, it will be well worth the price.
Historical romance is my genre of choice and one of the greatest reading experiences, for me, is finding a new author. Shana Galen is a romance writer with a fairly lengthy backlist whom I have always meant to try out. Therefore, I was really excited when I saw she was starting a new series that I could use as an example of her writing style.

What I Liked

1. For me the best part of the book was the heroine, Juliette. She is a celebrated courtesan who is nicknamed the Duchess of Dalliance by P
Heather Book Savvy Babe
I reviewed the review copy for Book Savvy Babe Blog.

I absolutely loved this historical romance by Shana Galen. With intrigue, danger, and a trio of beautiful courtesans, Shana Galen has set the stage for an unforgettable historical romance series.

Juliette, he heroine, is independent, determined, and pretty much does as she pleases. She uses society to foster her reputation and has made a comfortable life for herself. She does have some concerns and dealing with the Ton is nev
Karen
Sep 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Alexia Chantel
Aug 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Three stunning courtesans have the ton hanging on their every move. Each one has their own beauty and grace, but when you put them all together they take your breath away. Galen’s new series Jewels of the Ton starts out with the Diamond and is everything you want in a historical romance.

Juliette has earned the nickname the Duchess of Dalliance, and she certainly lives like a Duchess. She has her own home, eats wonderful things, and attends the best parties wearing the most beautiful gowns. Exac
Terra
Jun 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love, love, love this book. Took it to North Carolina on vacation with me just in case I needed something to read and low and behold I couldn't put the darn thing down. A wonderful romance with some skulduggery that will keep you intrigued from the first paragraph to the very last. This is what you get when you dangle a diamond in front of a crotchety Duke. Action, romance and see I told you so's.

The Duke of Pelham is quite set in his ways. He is more than handsome but also about a
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 11, 2015 11:56AM

• When a Duchess Says I Do (Rogues to Riches #2)
  • Rules to Catch a Devilish Duke (Scandalous Brides, #3)
  • Taming an Impossible Rogue (Scandalous Brides, #2)
  • My One and Only Duke (Rogues to Riches, #1)
  • For the Duke's Eyes Only (School for Dukes, #2)
  • Scandal of the Year (Abandoned at the Altar, #2)
  • Vixen in Velvet (The Dressmakers, #3)
  • Say No to the Duke (The Wildes of Lindow Castle, #4)
  • The MacGregor's Lady (MacGregors, #3)
  • How to Forget a Duke (Misadventures in Matchmaking, #1)
  • The Laird (Captive Hearts, #3)
  • Devil in Tartan (Highland Grooms #4)
  • Once Upon a Tartan (MacGregors, #2)
  • The Virtuoso (Duke's Obsession, #3; Windham, #3)
  • This Scot of Mine (The Rogue Files, #4)
  • The Scandal of It All (The Rogue Files, #2)
  • When a Duke Loves a Woman (Sins for All Seasons, #2)
  • That Scandalous Summer (Rules for the Reckless, #1)
Shana Galen is three-time Rita award nominee and the bestselling author of fast-paced, witty, and adventurous Regency romances. Kirkus says of her books, "The road to happily-ever-after is intense, conflicted, suspenseful and fun," and RT Bookreviews calls her books “lighthearted yet poignant, humorous yet touching." She taught English at the middle and high school level off and on for eleven year ...more

Jewels of the Ton (4 books)
  • When You Give a Duke an Indecent Proposal on Christmas Eve: A Jewels of the Ton Holiday Story (Jewels of the Ton, #1.5)
  • If You Give a Rake a Ruby (Jewels of the Ton, #2)
  • Sapphires Are an Earl's Best Friend (Jewels of the Ton, #3)
“When love fills one's heart, there should be no room for pride.” 3 likes