Start by marking “Dragons of Wendal (Dragons of Wendal, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dragons of Wendal (Dragons of Wendal, #1)

Dragons of Wendal

(Dragons of Wendal #1)

Learning new magic isn’t as easy as Zoe expected, especially when the mages at Gorgon University seem dead set against teaching. Add in some necessary late-night sneaking about, and Zoe is almost certain to be kicked out. No one in their right mind would view going to Wendal as a good alternative, but that's where Zoe ends up after she accidentally gains the attention of b ...more
Published June 21st 2012 by Bear Mountain Books

To ask other readers questions about Dragons of Wendal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragons of Wendal

Start your review of Dragons of Wendal (Dragons of Wendal, #1)
Frank Tuttle
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm a huge fan of lighthearted fantasy, and DRAGONS OF WENDAL is that, and more. I loved this book -- loved the heroine Zoe, the settings, the pace, and especially the unique magical system the author created. You've got likable, realistic characters doing magical deeds in a well-conceived fanatsy setting, with libveral dollops of humor and romance -- what more could you ask?

Well, you could ask for professional editing, professional formatting, and a lack of typos or grammar glitches. And I'm gl
Kathy (Kindle-aholic)
Jun 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I was first introduced to Zoe in the short Snitched, Snatched. I really enjoyed that story and I admit to pestering, er, sending a note to the author that if she had time to write more in this world I would love to read it.

In Dragons, Zoe is off to mage school but it is not turning out like she hoped. She hasn't learned any magic, except for what she's taught herself from books "borrowed" from the forbidden library. In the course of her illicit study, she witnesses the abduction of a fellow stud
Carter
I absolutely LOVED this book. It was a tremendous amount of fun! Both the lead protagonist and supporting female were strong, smart, and a whole lot of badass, and the male lead... Wow. I now think I understand the tag "book boyfriend". I think this one has made it into my favorites category. Best $2.00 I've spent in a long while.
Linda
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this enchanting story, Zoe desires to learn more magic than her mother has been able to teach her so far. Her bumbling cousin Lonnie has managed a mage position at the castle in Birk. In one of Lonnie’s magic spells gone wrong, Zoe meets an irate female whose dragon essence has been bound by an enchanted ring. Zoe is familiar with Lonnie’s magic and is able to send her back to Wendal from which she came. Magic and sorcery had been outlawed in Wendal for thousands of years, it is the home for ...more
April
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy, fantasy
After much thought and discussion in trying to discover what books were like this one to better describe it, I've discovered that it is most like the wonderful humorous 'cozy fantasies' that were all the rage several decades ago.

Don't know what those are? Too young to remember those? To old to go back that far (trust me, I had to wrack my brains and the internet to get the exact titles and authors - not just "that great book with the x and the y where the x did this...") And because I want you
ephrielle
Jun 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Don't be fooled by the very short and simple blurb or the less than awesome cover. This is a satisfying read with great characters. There is definitely more to this book than the blurb lets on. And it isn't anywhere as cheesy or shoddy as the cover given impression.

There were a few moments in this story that it would jump in fits leaving me a bit confused. At other times the pace would drastically speed up making things feel like they happened too fast. The romance, for example, built fast than
Emily Leathers
Zoe keeps ending up in annoying situations, and then doing the Right Thing To Do - which lands her in deeper trouble.

This is a high 3, and a very cute read!

I loved the short-story prologue, but then it took me a bit to get into the main story with her at Gorgon Uni. Eventually worth the wait - a nice story with only a little too much romance (almost none, it's just what there was was a little odd). I like stories about family units that make sense, and people who like their families and still m
Diane
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The start of the book pulled me in right away. There is a lot of action in this one. I liked the lead character, Zoe, she seemed realistic. All the characters were good, but the story is more fun to read when you really like the main character(s). Good world-building, not gory (horror is NOT my thing), well-paced and well-edited. I've already bought book 2 of this series.
Jim
Jul 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm a fan of author Maria Schneider's writing, and I've read most of her published works. I enjoyed the three books in the Sedona O'Hala series, but in my opinion, Ms. Schneider's calling is the fantasy genre. She showed an emerging talent for fantasy in two of her earlier books, "Tracking Magic" and "Sage: Tales from a Magical Kingdom," which were themed short story collections, then two full-length urban fantasies in the Moon Shadow series.

Now we have Dragons of Wendal, where the author create
OpenBookSociety.com
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sammy

Brought to you by OBS reviewer Sammy

What a wonderful story. I completely enjoyed every bit of it. The characters were well thought out and stayed true to form throughout the storyline. Interesting world, and politics.

Zoe is a kick butt kind of young woman, she knows what she wants and even with the hardships she has, she tried to make things work as best as she could.

Her cousin is a dolt and continued to be so even up to the end. I like how Zoe didn’t buy
Yannick Serres
Feb 23, 2015 rated it liked it
The book cover represents well the story that you will read. A female mage student goes for the quest of her life in Wendal, a dragon world. She will use magic to save her race and the people she loves.

It wasn't really my type of book. The story is okay and the vocabulary used is good. I found it a little too girly and childish from what I expected. I thought it would be more about a dragon world than a mix of love, friendship and multiple types of beasts relations.

I went through this book quite
Elisabeth
Sep 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of this book. The characters are realistic, the plot engaging, the pacing kept me interested, the world building is seamless, and the system of magic is based on repeatable cause and effect. And to top it off, it's well edited and proofread. Ms Schneider is one of my favorite authors, regardless of the genre. I not only would read more books in this series, I'd read anything she'd care to write. So treat yourself to dragons, then search out the other books she's ...more
Kaitlynn
Need a book cover? Why not copy and paste the dragon from another book cover?
Book of Athyra, originally published in 1993

If I flip it horizontally, no one will know about my copyright infringement!
Julie
Jul 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Just started reading this but I think that it is going to be a good one!
(I'm actually reading the Kindle version but that didn't show up as an option here.

Fantastic fantasy! Maria Schneider created a great world with shapeshifters, wizards and assorted other folk. Fun, very actiony, good read.
Rita C
Oct 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fun fantasy, well written characters. reminded me of the Patricia C. Wrede's Enchanted Forest Chronicles :)
Christopher
Mar 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty entertaining light fare.
tzinnamon
Feb 24, 2016
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Feb 24, 2015
Stephanie Freeman
rated it did not like it
Dec 27, 2018
Jul 18, 2013
Ron Sturm
Sep 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »

• Chosen (The Brindle Dragon, #1)
  • Awakened (The Brindle Dragon #2)
  • Three Mages and a Margarita (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #1)
  • The Zolin Conspiracy (Malykant Mysteries, #9)
  • Night Shifter (Magical Creatures Academy #1)
  • The Tarasov Despite (Malykant Mysteries, #10)
  • The Malefic Curse (Malykant Mysteries #11)
  • Shandral (Malykant Mysteries #12)
  • The Shadow Soul (A Dance of Dragons, #1)
  • Swordheart
  • Deceit on Panchala: Stories of the Orphan Corps
  • Counter Offensive on Arda: Stories of the Orphan Corps 4
  • Defiance on Vargo: Stories of the Orphan Corps 5
  • Standoff on Oulu: Stories of the Orphan Corps 3
  • Diversion in Raziel: Orphan Corps Shepherds (Lost Sheep Book 1)
  • Ghost Electricity (Hawthorn House, #1)
  • The Mortal Edge (Hawthorn House, #2)
  • The Healers' Home (The Balance Academy, #2)

If you were a character from a book, who would you be??

I'd be a dream catcher, the mystic woven spheres of the American Indian, catching the bad dreams and letting through only the good.

I'd be a dream weaver, she who tells stories woven from bits of dust and starlight.

Dragons of Wendal (4 books)
  • DragonKin (Dragons of Wendal, #2)
  • Fairy Bite (Dragons of Wendal, #3)
  • Dragon's Egg