Start by marking “Kathedrale (Mission Gamma, #3) (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #8.07)” as Want to Read:
Kathedrale (Mission Gamma, #3) (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #8.07)

Kathedrale (Mission Gamma, #3)

(Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma #3)

Peace talks test the morality and resolve of two longtime enemies, the Bajorans and the Cardassians. But when politics and diplomacy fail, a strange alliance of alien religions offers unexpected hope for lasting peace.

Meanwhile, a mysterious ancient artifact challenges the crew of the Defiant by 'restoring' crewmembers who have survived life-altering transformations, prop

Published June 2011 by Amigo Grafik (cross cult) (first published October 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Kathedrale (Mission Gamma, #3), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kathedrale (Mission Gamma, #3)

Start your review of Kathedrale (Mission Gamma, #3) (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #8.07)
Crystal Bensley
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I cannot believe how awesome the DS9 relaunch has been! Ends on a cliffhanger but wow the two stories in this novel are both great!
Erica
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Regarding the alien object," Bashir continued, looking in Ezri's direction as he spoke, "all we really know is that an intelligent and perhaps extinct species built it more than five hundred million years ago for some purpose which remains obscure. We also know that this structure possesses certain higher-dimensional characteristics that we don't fully understand. We really don't have any other information - except for the alien text file we downloaded from one of the thing's internal comput
Adam
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Andy Mangels and Michael Martin pair up for the third installment in DS9's relaunch series quartet, "Mission Gamma". Cathedral carries on directly from the events of Book 2 as Shar is left to deal with the effects of Thriss' suicide... thankfully, Cathedral is Andorian Drama Lite, instead tackling everything from arguments of faith vs science to deadly political machinations.

As the Defiant approaches the half-way point of its Gamma Quadrant expedition, Vaughn and the crew encounter two warring s
Jim Fulner
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cathedral has been the best of the "Mission Gamma" Mini-Series inside the DS9 Relaunch. returnreturnFor the first time in the series the portion of the story that actually takes place in the gamma quadrent is as interesting as what is happpening back on DS9. returnreturnThe Defiant send Bashir Nog and Ezri out to explore a new part of space in their shuttle craft. Nog somehow turns the subspace frequency into some annoying subtonal ferengi music. This ends up being important later in the story. ...more
Jessica
This one has my favorite Gamma quadrant plot so far -- a strange alien mystery and character-driven. The station plot was more like a bridge to set up the final book, but still full of intrigue as it is.
Louisa
Sep 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meh. Compared with how the other two books so far in this series have been, this one wasn't that great. The solution to the problem the crew of the Defiant run into was abundantly obvious right from the get go. It did, however, end with a cliffhanger. I hope that the 4th book is better.
William Sariego
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
A fine continuation of an amazing series. Far superior to most Star Trek novelizations. Looking forward to see how book four wraps this up.
Annie
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

Highly recommended if you enjoy the world of Deep Space Nine. Beloved characters are alive and complicated in the novel.
Yvette
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m reading all four parts. The first two books were good but dragged. This one moved along much easier.
Shelby Lynne
Was going to comment on (view spoiler) character assassination and then that happened.

Tina
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly probably a 4.5 rather than just a 4...I really enjoyed this book! I loved the Gamma Quadrant story arc especially, but the Alpha Quadrant story was great, too...I didn't see the twist at the end of it coming!

One thing I loved about this book is every time I saw something (whether it be an event, or a bit of a character's introspection) and thought "But what about X?" a few paragraphs or a chapter later the books would bring up X. Most books leave loopholes or gaps in the logic that leav
Andrew
This is the third entry of the Mission Gamma series, and it's not as good as the first two. The Gamma Quadrant story is pretty predictable - something strange happens to Bashir, Ezri, and Nog, and the solution is obvious from the beginning. In the end, everything is back to normal, and there is very little insight into the amazing object they interacted with.

Bashir, Ezri and Nog become introspective as they deal with this mystery, and their thoughts were somewhat interesting. But there are bett
Daniel
May 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Deep Space Nine relaunch continues, both with story and quality. The book is effectively split between the Defiant's mission in the Gamma Quadrant (Mission Gamma) and what is happening back on the station. On the Gamma side, the story focuses on Ezri, Julian, and Nog after their contact with an alien artifact, a "Cathedral." This sets off a chain of events that places the Defiant between two religious sects that view the Cathedral either as something to revere or destroy. Back on the station ...more
Julio
Apr 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Nathan Burgoine
May 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The continuing saga of DS9 after the relaunch of the books in "Avatar," this quartet, called "Mission Gama," takes us even further into the future past the point of "What you Leave Behind."

Basically, the Defiant is on an exploratory mission into the Gamma Quadrant, and in its absence, the Federation is ready to grant Bajor membership status.

Things aren't that simple, of course, and the political tensions on Bajor clash with the theological issues brought up in Avatar, and Ro Laren faces an unc
Dan
Jan 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ds9, star-trek
The writing team of Martin and Mangels maintains the high quality of this miniseries for the most part. As has been the case with the previous books, I was more engaged by the story happening on the station than the Gamma Quadrant portions. However, that story wasn't bad. The characters in this novel come across as real and dynamic rather than one-note villains or heroes. Also, as a special bonus, it was a treat to see the enigmatic Garak, even if only for a few short pages.

Overall, I would give
Derek Oberg
I liked this one okay. The mission in the Gamma Quadrant is beginning to grate on me. It's starting to smack a little too much of the tired old alien/guest star of the week format that the TV show fell into so easily and often in its early days.

That being said, the stuff happening on the station and Bajor is among some of the best that this DS9 relaunch series has had to offer yet. So, I'm definately invested in continuing on.

(It was great to see Elim Garak again, if only for about 3 pages.)
SmokingMirror
CARDASSIA WATCH:
Gul Macet provides the acceptable face of the Cardassian military orders throughout the book.

Some of the paintings of Tora Ziyal were displayed on DS9, but vandalized. If only Kira or Garak could have held them in keeping.

Garak rappels down some Obsidian Order ruins (from the Dominion War) and turns over a bunch of Orbs of the Prophets to Bajor, which seems to be in the midst of yet another nutty religious fad. Garak's wit and charm are not up to his best level, but forgivable a
Madeline
This book was fine. I wish the Space MacGuffin had not been so much a MacGuffin, and I wish the book had given me more than three sentences of Garak (that really was cruel), but it was perfectly serviceable and enjoyable. Actually, the Space MacGuffin did provoke some fairly interesting soul searching, and I am really into the whole Jem'Hadar storyline these relaunch books have going on. Also, the plotline with Ziyal's pictures was very affecting - only sort of in the way a Karan Johar movie is, ...more
Christina Farr-Thompson
Angela
Dec 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The series continues with Bajor due to join the Federation. Meanwhile the Defiant comes across a strange space building that has profound effects on the crew. For once in this series the Defiant storyline is the better one. Full of character development and very memorable moments for some of the regulars. I actually found myself wanting the DS9 sequences to finish to read that storyline. A very good read.
Tammy
Cathedral mostly focuses on Julian, Ezri, and Nog's encounter with an artifact, which causes them to 'regress' to previous physical states. Julian is no longer genetically enhanced. Ezri's body rejects Dax, and Nog regrows his leg. In the background, life goes on on DS9 with Bajor's entrance into the Federation.

Thus far, I like this book the most in the Mission Gamma series.
Greg Molumby
Nov 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was much better than This Grey Spirit, but not quite on the level of Twilight. The Bajor stuff is reminding me a lot of Season 2 of DS9, especially the Circle Trilogy, which I loved so I'm really getting a kick out of what is happening here. As for the gamma quadrant, I think I'm ready for Vaughn and crew to finally return home.
Robert Jenkins
Oct 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Overall I enjoyed this book. Nog was one of my favorite characters on the DS9 TV series, and this book gave him some well-done character development. The overall Gamma Quadrant narrative continues apace with a couple of new alien species, but the developments back on DS9 are much more interesting as we deal with fallout from the events of previous novels as well as some new twists.
Mrsculpepper
Mar 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, trek
really interesting premise out in the gamma quadrant. a chance to get inside the heads of bashir, ezri, dax, and nog. the linguistics nerd in me enjoyed the translated speech of "Sacajawea ". and I'm really enjoying kira's religious development back on deep Space nine. can't wait to see what kind of business venture quark and ro have planned as well.
Michael
Jan 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The entire DS9 relaunch (via novels) was fabulously done - especially the Mission Gamma series of four books. It was as if the beloved series had never ended . . . a real treat for anyone who loved the series and lamented its end. If you loved DS9, read the DS9 relaunch!
Annie
Feb 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek, 2012, tie-in
I've always been a fan of Dr. Bashir and I always wondered how he would be without the genetic enhancement. That book really covered that for me. It had a great plot, was well written and fast paced. I really liked it.
Jamie
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kira and Vaughn, especially Kira, and their development as top commanders are my favorite part. Secondarily, the contrast with Nog, Shar, Prynn, Bowers, and the other way junior officers at very different points in their lives. The actual dilemmas and plots are somewhat less compelling.
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek, sci-fi
Do what now? shocking and good.

• Rising Son (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Unity (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Cardassia and Andor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #1)
  • Avatar Book Two of Two (Star Trek Deep Space Nine)
  • Avatar: Book One of Two (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Abyss (Star Trek: Section 31, #3)
  • Trill and Bajor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Vol. 2)
  • The Dominion and Ferenginar (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #3)
  • The Last Best Hope (Star Trek: Picard #1)
  • Demons of Air and Darkness
  • Warpath (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Fearful Symmetry (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #66)
  • These Haunted Seas (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • The Soul Key (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Zero Sum Game (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #1)
  • The Left Hand of Destiny: Book One (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Twist of Faith
  • The Left Hand of Destiny, Book Two (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
Michael A. Martin's solo short fiction has appeared in The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction. He has also coauthored (with Andy Mangels) several Star Trek comics for Marvel and Wildstorm and numerous Star Trek novels and eBooks, including the USA Today bestseller Titan: Book One: Taking Wing; Titan: Book Two: The Red King; the Sy Fy Genre Award-winning Star Trek: Worlds of Deep Space 9 Book Tw ...more

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma (4 books)
  • Twilight (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, #1)
  • This Gray Spirit (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 2)
  • Lesser Evil (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 4)