Start by marking “Champion (Legend, #3)” as Want to Read:

4.38  ·  Rating Details ·  112,089 Ratings  ·  12,059 Reviews
He is a Legend.

She is a Prodigy.

Who will be Champion?

June and Day have sacrificed so much for the people of the Republic—and each other—and now their country is on the brink of a new existence. June is back in the good graces of the Republic, working within the government’s elite circles as Princeps-Elect, while Day has been assigned a high-level military position.

But ne
Published November 5th 2013 by Putnam Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Champion, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Flint Lockwood I liked the ending.. no more books needed! Lu left the ending for our imagination and defining such a dynamic relationship would ruin it for me. Just…moreI liked the ending.. no more books needed! Lu left the ending for our imagination and defining such a dynamic relationship would ruin it for me. Just be happy he lived!! (less)
Deb The trial wasn't just physical and mental there were psychological elements and it judged attitude and loyalty to the republic. Someone Day's aptitude…moreThe trial wasn't just physical and mental there were psychological elements and it judged attitude and loyalty to the republic. Someone Day's aptitude and anything less than blind adherence to Republic dogma was a danger and even more so if well trained. (less)
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Elite by Kiera Cass
YA Novels of 2013
1,521 books — 10,953 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsDivergent by Veronica RothMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsThe Maze Runner by James Dashner
YA Dystopia Novels
1,118 books — 10,179 voters

More lists with this book...

Taschima
Sep 26, 2014 Taschima rated it it was amazing
description

If Prodigy made me want to cry and scream and pretty much throw a tantrum like a little girl, Champion made all my troubles go away. I am very well satisfied with the ending of this series, and although I still have lots of questions for what will happen in June's future I can fill those gaps with my own imagination. Marie Lu did a wonderful job with this entire series, and ended it in a bittersweet note. Without giving out too many spoilers, or none at all, Champion will make your eyes water bu
Emily May
Nov 18, 2013 Emily May rated it really liked it
And... it's over.

This series has come a long, long way from where it started and has managed to shatter boundaries and exceed expectations where, in my opinion, other series like Divergent and Blood Red Road have failed. It started out like almost every other piece of dystopian fiction released in 2011. Some random political facts thrown about, set in a future United States that was torn apart by war, oppressive government in power and, of course, a nice little side order of romance that could *
Nicole
Mar 16, 2014 Nicole rated it it was amazing
GIVE IT TO ME NOW BEFORE I JUMP OFF A CLIFF FROM MY FEELS. YOU DON'T DO THIS TO ME. YOU DON'T END A BOOK LIKE THAT OK. I NEEDED JUNE TO TELL DAY THAT SHE LOVED HIM. I'M NOT KIDDING THIS ISN'T UP FOR DISCUSSION AHHH ASJLDJFSDKLAKD WHY DOES THIS ALWAYS HAPPEN TO ME. YOU KNOW WHAT I'M GOING TO GO DIE OK.

description

I'M LITERALLY SITTING HERE LIKE THIS I'M GOING TO EAT BOXES OF ICE CREAM NOW.

AHHH IGAKFSHOS THERE'S A NAME. CHAMPION YESS I LIKE I LIKE IGAKSGOHLFKS STILL FAR AWAY IM GOING TO GO CRY SOME MORE.

EVERY
Ails
5 STARS

(WARNING: MILD SPOILERS)

"I think I don’t care about you anymore, that things will be easier once you’re far away, and then all of a sudden I’m here again, and you’re..." Day pauses to look at me. The anguish in his expression is a knife cutting through my heart. "Why do I do this to myself? I see you and feel such—" He has tears in his eyes now. The sight is more than I can bear. He takes two steps away from me and then turns back like a caged animal. "Do you even love me?"

My emotions a
William
Nov 17, 2013 William rated it it was amazing
FINAL REVIEW

Just...
How did Marie Lu just wrap up this amazing series with an ever more so amazing book?!

This book makes we want to do this:

This: BECAUSE MY BRAIN ISN'T WORKING AFTER READING THIS, like NO!

This: OUT OF SHEER PERFECTION

And this all over again:

To explain the awesomeness that is the book, I must start when I saw this book at the public library.

^ Yeah that was me. Deal with it.

Then came the reading. Big mistake of starting it when I had work to do because guess what I did instea
Etnik
____________________________________________
“Then Day reaches out and touches my hand with his. He encloses it in a handshake. And just like that, I am linked with him again, I feel the pulse of our bond and his- tory and love through our hands, like a wave of magic, the return of a long-lost friend. Of something meant to be. The feeling brings tears to my eyes. Perhaps we can take a step forward together.

“Hi,” he says. “I’m Daniel.”
“Hi,” I reply. “I’m June.”

________________________________
jenny
Jun 02, 2013 jenny marked it as on-hold
Recommends it for: Why do all the good books come out in 2014?
Edit 4:
That cover is beautiful! I want it now!

Edit 3:
2013 guys! 20-freaking-13! This is amazing! THIS IS SO GREAT! I'm just so excited!

Edit 2:
*Screams* We've got a placement cover! I'm so so so excited! Can't wait until we get the real deal cover!

Edit:
So it has a name? Champion... I like it! :)

Wait... 2014...?

Julie
Nov 30, 2013 Julie rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013-books
description
Eh. Well. The first book is always going to be the best, am I right? I just wish Champion could've denied that statement. But it did not, and now I am here, dejectedly sipping gingerbread tea and morosely eating my cheerios while writing a review that should've been filled with screaming and jumping gifs, yet all it is filled with is a distressed Ariel and a run-on sentence.

2 things:

1. Marie Lu is still an extremely talented writer, and if you think I hate her in any way, shape, or form, I ho
Jessica (Goldenfurpro)
BEFORE READING
No no no no NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
YOU DO NOT GET TO END LIKE THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please hurry up and come out!!!
Please tell me that the ending was untrue!!!!
PLEEEEEEEAAAAAASSSSSSSSSEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT:
HOLY CHEESE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THERE'S A COVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure how I feel about it, BUT THERE'S A COVER!!!!!!!
WE'RE ONE STEP CLOSER TO THE RELEASE DATE!!!
Brian
Sep 15, 2013 Brian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: waiting

This is me after rereading the last chapter over and over again... Why the hell do you do that and make everyone wait a year! She should have said " I love you!" That's what i'm waiting for, so that better be like the first line in the book! Not in her head, needs to be said directly to him!
Like this:

But Day I just wanna...

Kat (Lost in Neverland)

Cover Reveal:

Come to me, darling.

After Finishing

WARNING: If you like happy endings, you may not want to read this happy ending-bashing review

Almost a year has passed since June Iparis was initiated back into the Republic as one of the new Elector's Princeps-Elect and Day Wing became a part of the Republic's army.

The country is on the brink of war as a new plague outbreak sweeps through the Colonies.
After not speaking or seeing one another since the day they parted ways, June and Day are sc
Ariana
Perfect books are just.. perfect! *wiping tears of happiness*

This is one of the best conclusions to a series! The very best.

Seriously! And it felt so ..right, you know?
Not all butterflies and cheers and happiness, but right and real and beautiful and raw.
The action, the suspense, the dramatic romance, the bittersweet ending… every moment and every page, every single word in this book.. EVERYTHING was perfect. I couldn’t have imagined a better ending for this series, I wouldn’t have it any othe
Liam
Apr 26, 2015 Liam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'M A MESS!

MY HEART'S A MESS!!

I DON'T KNOW HOW TO FEEL!?!?!

I'm so incredibly emotional right now I think I need some serious help...
Natalie Monroe
EDIT 14/3/2015: I MET MARIE LU AND IT WAS FUCKING GLORIOUS.

SIGNED COPY, BITCHES.

After I finished Champion, I just stared at the wall for several minutes, trying to sort out my feels. For the rest of the night, I was numb, unable to do homework or anything constructive because Marie HAD ripped a hole in my heart that can only be filled by another good book (though it'd most likely tear me a new one, too. Dammit)

The Characters:

Day:

He was my favorite character throughout the series. Nothing to say
Farah
———before

THE FIRST TWO CHAPTERS OF CHAMPION I CAN'T. (x)

----

THE COVER IS SO BEAUTIFUL! I NEED TO READ THIS BOOK SO BADLY IT HURTS. ACCIO NOVEMBER! Nope? Nothing? *okay*

NOVEMBER 5th? Really?
That feels like an eon away.

It's weird but ^ this GIF hurts me more than any book release date ever could.
Angela
Nov 25, 2013 Angela rated it really liked it
You have GOT to be kidding me!! 2014?!?!?! After that ending? Oh hell no!

Sandra

GENRE: YA/DYSTOPIAN/ROMANCE

Champion is the anticipated last book in the Marie Lu's stunning dystopian Legend trilogy....

and by the end it left me feeling a LOT like this...

If you are thinking this will end 'happily ever after', think again.

I mean, why would you even think that since ,like, 99.9% of dystopian books these days end up freaking tragically?

I was screaming in my head. This.Cannot.Be.Happening.Again.

All i want is a decent, happy ending to a good dystopian trilogy!
Am i asking for t
Eva Rose
Feb 28, 2014 Eva Rose rated it really liked it
All that drama and feelings! It was really great.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Marie Lu has done a wonderful job taking June and Day from being two infatuated teens to full blown love. I am so very, very happy with this series ending. Lu outdid herself in the feelings and plot department.

Marie Lu has really grown as a writer, she portrays feelings on a much deeper level and her abilities to flesh out the subtle intricacies of June and Day's relationship have grown. Champion no longer hinge on acti
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Nov 21, 2013 Jesse (JesseTheReader) rated it it was amazing
I am rating this 5 stars even though I had quite a few problems with it, I still thoroughly enjoyed it.

There are a few things that I wish were tied up better and the ending was a bit frustrating at first, but I'm leaving this trilogy feeling satisfied.
Kristalia
Final rating: 5/5 stars

You're gonna suffer, but you are going to be happy about it.
- Ron, Harry Potter

“You once told me why you chose ‘Day’ as your street name,” she says firmly. She moves her hand so that it’s over mine, hiding the paper clip ring from view. The warmth of her skin against mine makes my breath short. “Every morning, everything’s possible again. Right?” (...)
Finally, I take a deep breath. “Sometimes, the sun sets earlier. Days don’t last forever, you know. But I’ll fight as ha
Belle
Jul 23, 2014 Belle rated it it was amazing
Well I just cried because of this book and that is not an easy thing to do. I think a total of about three books have ever made me cry before. It was just perfect. It was all a person could ask for in a final book. It was all that Allegiant and Mockingjay weren't. Congratulations Marie Lu on your success and for creating a trilogy with three flawless books. It's a really hard thing to do, I have read enough series that loose their amazing before they get the chance to conclude. It most certa ...more
Donna {Book Passion for Life}
"You drive me insane, June." He murmurs against my hair. "You're the scariest, most clever, bravest person I know, and sometimes I can't catch my breath because I'm trying so hard to keep up. There will never be another like you. You realise that, don't you?" I tilt my face up to see him. His eyes reflect the faint lights from the JumboTrons, a rainbow of evening colours. "Billions of people will come and go in this world," he says softly, "but there will never be another like you."

Starting 8 m
Ecmel Soylu
Jun 16, 2015 Ecmel Soylu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kitabı okuyacağım derken yemek yemeyi unuttum.

Epilog boyunca ağladım bir de. :')

diyeceklerim bunlar...
Simona Bartolotta
I... I need a moment. A night. A day (Daaaay I will never be able to use this word mindlessly again). So I don't know when the review will be ready. Could be in half an hour as well as tomorrow. When my feelings will be fine again, instead, well, that's another story.

A few hours later (or whatever. I think this series deprived me of my sense of time):

"Our dance around each other always seems like it's doomed to repeat itself over and over again."

Marie Lu officially enters the circle of my favour
Steph Sinclair
Actual rating: 3.5 stars.

For whatever reason I didn’t quite enjoy Champion as much as I loved Prodigy. Trilogies have to be incredibly difficult to end and this one didn’t wow me. Cons? The explanation for Day’s brother’s blood and June’s was very rushed. I would have loved to know more, but it seems most of the focus was on the war. Understandable, however, it left the book feeling incomplete. The action was pretty fantastic and Lu is excellent at building anticipation as she did in Legend and
Kiki
Nov 06, 2015 Kiki marked it as not-a-snowballs-chance-in-hell
A small note: while I read and loved the first two books immensely, it's because of that love that I won't ever read this last instalment. I felt that the ending of Prodigy answered all of my questions, and left the story and relationships on a really strong and poignant note. I don't feel the need to read this book; for me, this series ended.

I just don't feel like I need to know any more of this story. Have any of the rest of you ever felt this way? Let me know.
Mizuki
Mar 09, 2016 Mizuki rated it did not like it
Book, you deserve to be hit over the head, nothing more, nothing less.

(Link: http://vampirekiki.deviantart.com/art...)

Note: I read the Chinese translation of this book, won't bother to pick up the English text.

I would have given this book 2 or even 3 stars, if the warfare and the politic weren't handled in such a clumsy way *and* the ending hadn't turned out as ridiculous as this:

(1) The Ending:

(view spoiler)
Hailey (HaileyInBookland)
what a way to end a series, oh man.
Kassidy
Nov 30, 2013 Kassidy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
Thank you Marie Lu for giving us a perfect ending :)

I felt this final book to be much more serious and stressful than the other two. There was so much going on between the politics, war, and the relationships. Everything was pretty much life or death and it was really hard to know the right thing to do. This is a crazy intense finale to the series, filled with action, alliances, treachery, and emotion. The characters stayed true to themselves, but matured and developed realistically. In the end,
Lauren DeStefano
Nov 27, 2015 Lauren DeStefano rated it it was amazing
(I'll be posting this same review for all three books, as I'm reviewing the entire series as a whole. There are no spoilers.)

That's it. I'm done. I'm never going to read another book again. I have no reason to. I have now seen everything books are capable of doing to me.

I'm four years late to the LEGEND ball. My journey here comes with a bit of a story. This book came out in what I like to think of as the year of dystopias. There were so many amazing books coming out all at once, I could hardly
Around the Year i...: Champion, by Marie Lu 3 38 Jan 14, 2017 07:43PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Champion (Legend #3) by Marie Lu- Restarting September 20th 2016 144 212 Sep 28, 2016 07:53PM
Story Time! 35 63 Sep 14, 2016 08:41AM
What is with the ending of Champion? 9 64 Jul 14, 2016 02:00PM
My Champion book is written backwards. 5 43 Jun 20, 2016 03:17PM
Ending... good or bad?? 77 929 Jun 11, 2016 09:41AM
Marie Lu Fan Club: After Reading Champion 1 6 Apr 19, 2016 02:49AM
  • Never Fade (The Darkest Minds, #2)
  • Horde (Razorland, #3)
  • Through the Ever Night (Under the Never Sky, #2)
  • Breaking Point (Article 5, #2)
  • Vortex (Insignia, #2)
  • Raging Star (Dust Lands, #3)
  • The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden, #2)
  • Rebel (Reboot, #2)
  • UnDivided (Unwind, #4)
  • Delirium Stories: Hana, Annabel, and Raven (Delirium, #0.5, #1.5, #2.5)
  • World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
  • Deception (Defiance, #2)
  • The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns, #3)
  • Across a Star-Swept Sea (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #2)
  • Asunder (Newsoul, #2)
  • Unbreakable (Unraveling, #2)
  • The Lives We Lost (Fallen World, #2)
[Note: Many apologies, but I'm woefully bad at checking my Goodreads emails! If you'd like to send a note/msg, please catch me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Marie_Lu . Thanks!]

I write young adult novels, and have a special love for dystopian books. Ironically, I was born in 1984. Before becoming a full-time writer, I was an Art Director at a video game company. Now I shuffle around at home and ta
More about Marie Lu...

Legend (3 books)
  • Legend (Legend, #1)
  • Prodigy (Legend, #2)

19 trivia questions
2 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...

“Hi,” he says. “I’m Daniel.”
“Hi,” I reply. “I’m June.”
1094 likes
“Sometimes, the sun sets earlier. Days don’t last forever, you know. But I’ll fight as hard as I can. I can promise you that.” 1005 likes