Start by marking “Emergence (The Chosen, #0.1)” as Want to Read:
Emergence (The Chosen, #0.1)

Emergence

(The Chosen #0.1)

Even before Jake’s birth, Emma Thompson focused all her energy on providing a safe and sheltered world for her two-year-old son. The life she’d always wanted as a child—a loving mother and financial security. But another “incident” had has led to Jake’s expulsion from his second daycare center in two weeks, and now her accounting job with a high profile commercial firm is ...more
Published May 30th 2012 by Bramagioia Enterprises

To ask other readers questions about Emergence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emergence

Start your review of Emergence (The Chosen, #0.1)
Carol [Goodreads Addict]
Sep 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is just a short little prequel to Chosen. Jake is only two years old and Emma is just starting to realize that her son is different, special. She has tried so hard to provide Jake with a nice house, a stable life, but when the "bad men" come, she realizes she will do anything to keep her son safe, and they run. She wonders if they will ever be safe again.
Laura Steakin
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was on the edge of my seat . . . I can't wait to devour this series!
Bob Rodenbaugh
Jan 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love the long story and was excited that The Chosen was the start of just that sort of a story. After reading it, I was unsure of continuing; there were some interesting ideas and questions but something was missing. Ironically, it was Emergence, or rather the character development of Emma, a principle character of the main story. Emergence is 35 necessary pages to the overall story, and can only improve your opinion of The Chosen. For me, it is the reason I will pick up part 2 and the ...more
Jessica Frances
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this little look into what life was like for Emma and Jake before they had to go on the run, and what events took them on that journey. I felt for them knowing what would lie ahead. Great addition to the series!
Samantha Malstrom
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love it! In Chosen you get to read about bits and pieces of Emma and Jake’s lives before everything started and what took place when it started but in Emergence it really goes into detail and shows you the flashback. I absolutely loved being able to see the events that happened and how Emma reacted to everything that had happened to them. You get to see her real emotions and thoughts during the process and I really think it adds to her character and the storyline. I think this is a must-read for ...more
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Emergence is a short story, which is also a prequel to Chosen by Denise Grover Swank. I previously read Chosen and I have finally read this short story and I like the information it provided. It was not a necessary read before Chosen but it was a nice insight into Emma and Jake's life prior to where the Chosen series starts. I really love this series and I am looking forward to reading the other short stories before rereading the Chosen series.
Angela
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This novella is just what we needed, it gives you a glimpse at how Emma and Jake were living prior to the first book. You don't need to read the short story, but I loved being able to connect more to the characters and get more background behind the whole story.
Tracy Hall
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good

This short story was a quick read but it goes before book 1 of the Chosen. Make sure you read it first as it is all recapped in book 1 and would not need to be read otherwise.
Nicki
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm glad I read this book. It gave good background information about Emma and Jake's lives leading up to them being on the run and the horror she has been facing.
Kimberly
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
I finally decided to read this series and am glad I did. The story was great and the characters are awesome! There are alot of mistakes in the writing but other than that its a great story to read!
Laila Nelke
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just short story but how good it was! Denise Grover Swank writes great novellas giving us deeper insight of characters thoughts, feelings and how the story really starts. I loved and really enjoyed this great intrduction to Emma and little Jake!
Gina
Goodreads Description- Even before Jake’s birth, Emma Thompson focused all her energy on providing a safe and sheltered world for her two-year-old son. The life she’d always wanted as a child—a loving mother and financial security. But another “incident” had has led to Jake’s expulsion from his second daycare center in two weeks, and now her accounting job with a high profile commercial firm is on the line.

Soon Emma wishes losing her job was her only worry when it becomes evident that someone is
Noel Kennedy
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Marsha
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received notification from Bookbub that the entitled "Chosen" was being offered for free on Amazon.com. The summary for the book sounded so interesting that I decided to give it a try. However, while downloading the book I discovered that there was a prequel entitled, "Emergence;" so of course I wanted to start there.

People let me tell you, "Emergence," grabbed me by the throat on page one and didn't let go even on the last page. I don't know if it is because I am a mother and protective of my
Rhea
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Denise Grover Swank writes incredible novels and her novellas are even more special as they take you deeper into the characters' thoughts, feelings and backgrounds. I started this prequel to The Chosen series kind with ambivalence. I had just finished "The Chosen" and wanted to read the next book to see what happens but I also wanted to read about Emma's earlier experiences. As I expected, the prequel was wonderful. It gives us a clearer sense of Emma and Jake's torment from the beginning and ...more
Angela Shockley
May 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I didn't discover the Chosen short stories until I finished the series. It was actually very nice to be given a different perspective after the fact!

Here we get a glimpse at what Emma was dealing with as she and Jake began to be hunted down. It was definitely scary to read someone reporting a situation and not being taken seriously by the police. This definitely set in motion her chaotic plan of living on the run with Jake.

You don't HAVE to read this short story to read the series, but it
Shawna  Wood (A Girl and Her Books)
I also like short stories or novella's that give some insight on how the characters became who they are. and Emergence is gives us that glimpse into what Emma's and Jake's life was before they had to be on the run.

You see Emma is not different then your average single Mom. Emma wants a good job so she can provide food and shelter for Jake and to give Jake a nice normal life. However, it is clear that Emma and Jake were never destined for nice and normal. As Jake's power begins to manifest Emma
Jamie Davis
Jul 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This novella is the PERFECT clarity to the beginning of Emma and Jake's life on the run. Her feelings of isolation and helplessness, while trying to juggle a demanding job and long hours, are only enhanced by Jake's problems at daycare. It doesn't take long for her to face the reality of his visions. Her attempts to pass off his knowledge as an over active imagination are thwarted when the "bad men" truly do come for them. From the moment she decides to pack a bag and leave, she knows their ...more
Teresa Sambrook
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone who loves a thriller
Recommended to Teresa by: Jamie Davis
This is a short story that goes with the Chosen series. It's the first of 3 novellas. You can really read these books at any point in the series. I read all three after Hunted, but it may have been helpful to read before Hunted. Either way was an awesome addition to the Chosen books! It gave the beginning details of Emma and Jake, give you a closer more personal view of the characters. These novellas are one of the things I love about Denise and her writing style. I think she really wants us to ...more
Lori Clark cook
Oct 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read Emergence as part of the Box Set.

Emergence gives us some back story into Emma. How she got to where she is in the story and how Jake came to be. This novella lets us know about the first time Emma and Jake had to run, what they left behind and how scary those first years were.

Overall, I thought it was well written and appreciated the look back to build up more depth for the characters.
Beth
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This prequel to Chosen is a very bold look into Emma and Jake's history, and gives a closer look at their lives. This is helpful in being able to commiserate with Emma and the situation that she has found herself in. The struggle that she goes through raising Jake given his "affliction" is hard to imagine, but this makes it a little easy.
Heather
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great introduction to Emma and Jake This is the first prequel to the Chosen series. I love that we get to experience Emma and Jake's story before they are exiled and hiding. As a reader, these novellas allow a deeper understanding of the characters. This is a great book to read to enter into the Chosen series.
Sandra Lancaster
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It is great to learn how everything started. After reading Chosen, you know that Emma is a strong woman, but this just solidifies it. I loved learning how and when Jake's power started and how she works through it. The reader sees her struggle with it, but she would do anything to protect her son. Short but very informative read.
Claire Taylor
Jun 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
I always love reading short stories when they explain the reasons why a character is the way they are. After reading this, I saw Emma in a completely different light, and had never really grasped what they had been through in the early years.............a must for all those loving The Chosen Series
Teresa
Mar 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Real good start on a series of books. Swank has grabbed my attention, and I am looking forward to finding out why these bad people are after Emma's son, Jake. He has such a unique talent, and instead of trying to stifle his ability, she should be promoting it. Looking forward to the No. 1 in this series.
Elisa
Apr 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oh that novella explained so much, I really enjoyed it, Learning about Emma's early days and how she lived for making a safe world for Jake and the big decisions she faced that lead to nothing being safe at all and everything then turned to survival at any cost.
Sheila
Apr 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This helps fill in the blanks about Emma. How she got to where she is and what the story is with Jake. I am glad I read this. It helps explain why Emma is running and run she must. Definitely worth the read. If you are reading the series, don't skip this one!
Kelly Mccurdy
Dec 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This one gives you an insight on what is going on before Jake was born. What Emma was feeling and what she was doing. This book really gives you a bigger picture on what happened and what is going to happen. This is a great addition to the series!!
Ashlee Thatcher
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This prequel explains how Jake and Emma ended up on the run and gives great background on how this whole mess started. It is exciting and action packed, and shows just how much a mother's love can make us believe in the unbelievable.
Micaela Irion
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved getting to hear about how everything started. When Jake starts having his visions, the struggle Emma goes through trying to decide what's best for her son, the first time the "bad men" show up. For such a short story this really adds so much detail. Definitely a must read!

• Of Blood and Monsters (Piper Lancaster Series)
  • Of Fire and Storm: A Curse Keeper Novel (Of Ash and Spirit Trilogy #2)
  • Of Ash and Spirit (Of Ash and Spirit Trilogy #1)
  • Recombinant (The Blood Borne #1)
  • Dirty Laundry (J.J. Graves Mystery #5)
  • Replica (The Blood Borne #2)
  • Dirty Deeds (J.J. Graves Mystery #4.5)
  • The Token Series (3 volume boxed set)
  • Descended from Shadows (Book of Sindal Book One)
  • Warrior Fae Princess (Warrior Fae, #2)
  • Reign of Mist (Book of Sindal Book Two)
  • The Token Series, A Billionaire Dark Romantic Suspense: Box Set (Books 4-6)
  • The Chocolate Mouse Trap (A Chocoholic Mystery, #5)
  • Crown of Blood (Book of Sindal 3)
  • Finding His Mark (Stealth Ops, #1)
  • World Tour of the World
  • The Praying Mantis Bride (Nameless #3)
  • Peaches for Father Francis (Chocolat, #3)

The Chosen (4 books)
  • Chosen (The Chosen, #1)
  • Hunted (The Chosen, #2)
  • Sacrifice (The Chosen, #3)
  • Redemption (The Chosen, #4)