Start by marking “Haole Wood” as Want to Read:
Haole Wood

Haole Wood

Haole Wood A Novel By Dee DeTarsio When San Diego weathercaster, Jaswinder Park, is mysteriously summoned to the island of Maui in Hawaii to help her grandmother, she ends up losing her job. This fair-haired, light-skinned foreigner, called haole by the natives, decides to stay in Maui for a couple of days until she can figure out what to do with her life. She realizes tha ...more
Published May 2012 by Dee Detarsio

To ask other readers questions about Haole Wood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Haole Wood

Vaughn Roycroft
Jul 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
After finishing my second Dee DeTarsio novel, I find myself wondering just what genre this one fits into. I'm a guy, so I don't read chick lit (not that there's anything wrong with that), and I rarely read murder mysteries, romances, or travelogues. But whether it's chick lit, romance, mystery or travelogue, there's one thing I'm more certain than ever about: Dee DeTarsio is freakin' hilarious!

I found myself laughing aloud often as I breezed through this pleasure-fest. I've been to Maui and to
Cindy Roesel
Jun 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Here's my review! First appeared on Chick Lit Central!

I’ve got my First Class ticket to Maui, Hawaii courtesy of author, Dee DeTarsio and I’m traveling via her latest novel, HAOLE WOOD. It’s her fourth book, but first filled with all the Aloha spirit that makes you sit back, relax, pull up a lounge, and enjoy a mai tai and HAOLE WOOD like I did.

Jaswinder is a weather caster San Diego who leaves the mainland to help her grandmother, called Halmoni whom she can’t understand except for one phrase,
Mandy Whilden
Oct 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
First, I would like to say thank you to the wonderful author for providing me with this book through a first-reads giveaway. Thank you!

This book has it all: a murder mystery full of suspense, a kindling romance, a vacation in paradise, Harry Potter references, and a quite unorthodox guardian angel.

From the very beginning, I found it very easy to get attached to Jaswinder, whose life seems to be ruled by Murphy's Law: anything that can go wrong probably will. Being forced to fly from her home in
Dee DeTarsio
May 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Escape to Maui, Hawaii, with Haole Wood! Romance, suspense, twists and turns, all with an island vibe of "aloha" . . . Did I mention romance?
Darcie
Jul 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, what a captivating read! It starts off with the main character Jaswinder having to go to Hawaii to rescue her Grandmother (Halmoni) who has been arrested for possession of marijuana, and then the fun really starts. She meets a couple of hot men her first night in Hawaii and while she spends the evening with one, the other turns up murdered the next morning and her Halmoni accused of the crime. Right off the bat you know you are in for a good ride.

Dee DeTarsio holds y
SOS Aloha
Jul 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
I ulu no ka lala i ke kumu. The reach of a tree's branches depends on its trunk. Translation - A family's unconditional love strengthens each one to succeed (from the Waikiki Community Center website).

Jaswinder Park thinks she is fulfilling her childhood dream as a weekend forecaster for a San Diego news station. But Fate has another plan, taking Jaswinder on an unexpected trip to Maui to bail out her Grandmother. Just as the sun set on Lahaina, Jaswinder bonds with her tutu (Hawaiian granny), i
Jo Broshar
Jul 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It is funny, sexy, and poignant but I hate when people give away the plot .........I personally like to find out these things on my own. Please read this and all of her books. I have told her that I think there is a little bit of "DEE" hidden each and every character.
Doreena
May 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I can't help it - everything I've read by this author is just amazing! I love her well-developed characters. You feel so close to them throughout the story. The storylines are great. Tell anyone and everyone you know, read Ms. DeTarsio's books! They are fantastic! :)
Amy
Jun 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Those Hawaiians know how to have FUN, people. Let's all move there today. I'm sure they would be thrilled.

First, a disclaimer: I received this from Dee DeTarsio in exchange for an honest review.

Second, a caveat: I cannot stand "guardian angels" in books. And I really don't like it when authors use that hoary chestnut, "If only I had known" at the end of a chapter, just to force you to keep reading. And since a guardian angel and chapter cliffhangers show up in this book, you know my review will
Kimberly
Aug 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
When the author contacted me and asked me to review Haole Wood I jumped on it. A few hours in Hawaii? Beautiful beaches, beautiful people, sun, sand and adventure? I'm in!

Jaswinder Park is living her dream as a TV weather girl in San Diego. When she has to go to Maui to bail her old Hawaiian healer grandmother (whom she barely knows and can't understand) out of jail for selling pot, she not only loses her job but her whole life. Or so she thinks.

Haole Wood is a funny, lighthearted tale that tak
Crystal
Jul 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Haole Wood is a very fun and entertaining book that adds in a great suspense plot. Ms. DeTarsio has created a very interesting protagonist in Jaswinder Park and a great plot to read. Add in the beautiful setting of Maui and it's interesting people and you have the makings for a very fine summer (or any time of year) novel.

Jaswinder Park had me as a character from the very first page. Nothing seems to go her way, but she keeps trying. I know how that feels and I could relate. Now I am happily mar
Books
Jul 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Haole Wood is definitely the funniest and wittiest book I have read in quite a while. When Jaswinder Park has to bail her grandmother out of jail for the possession of pacalolo, her problems on the Hawaiian island Maui have just started. After losing her job as a san Diego weather caster, getting a really bad sun burn, being photographed with a murder victim and being beaten up by said murder victim's mother, Jaswinder's stay on Maui is turning out not to be much fun at all. Bring into this equa ...more
Carol Carr
Sep 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Dee De Tarsio is one of the funniest women on the planet. I’d love to see her do stand-up, but until she opts for a career change I’ll just have to read her books. She excels at writing hapless heroines, wacky characters and situations that spiral delightfully out of control. Her latest, Haole Wood, is a standout novel featuring Jaswinder Park, who has had orgasms that last longer than some of her jobs. When her Korean-Hawaiian grandmother Halmoni is arrested, Jaswinder is dispatched to Maui by ...more
Samantha March
Jul 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have highly enjoyed Dee DeTarsio’s novels, and was excited when she asked me to review her latest, Haole Wood. A Hawaii setting – yes please! The main character is Jaswinder Park (killer name!) and she is sent to Hawaii to help bail her grandmother out of jail. While there, she loses her job as a San Diego weathercaster (pre-taping a segment calling for sunshine turned out not be the best call) but she has bigger fish to fry in the Aloha State. Mainly, her grandmother now being on trial for th ...more
Meredith Schorr
Sep 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars!

Jaswinder Park is living her dream as a weather reporter in San Diego when she is called on by her parents to rush to Maui to bail her Hawaiian grandmother out of jail for selling marijuana. Jaswinder's bad judgment in her attempt to play hooky from work causes her to lose her job. Adding insult to injury, within 24 hours of her arrival in Maui, her grandmother is accused of murdering a man who was last seen licking tequila off of Jaswinder's wrist. As if all of this is not enough, Jas
Al
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, read-2013
Haole Wood has both mystery and humor, wrapped up in a chick-lit storyline.

The mystery revolves around a murder early on with several viable suspects. These include Jas, the protagonist, who is the last known person to see the victim alive (although she knows at least one other came after her, since she didn’t do it). That another person with motive is her grandmother is more than a touch unnerving.

The humor comes from multiple directions. Sometimes it is how the author chooses to word somethi
Lisa (lifeinlit)
Jul 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
* Originally posted on Lost in Literature

When I was contacted by Dee DeTarsio about reviewing her chick lit story, I quickly accepted. I mean, seriously, a story taking place in Hawaii with that amount of drama... How could I deny myself the pleasure of reading this story?!

Jaswinder definitely deals with her share of stress. From losing her job for pre-taping a weather report to fighting to find the killer of a murdered man to get her grandmother off the hook, Haole Wood is fun and witty. I enjo
Terry Ambrose
May 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Dee DeTarsio's latest is a fun-filled trip to Maui with Jaswinder Park, a young woman who's made a ton of bad decisions in her life and would desperately like to change that. But, fate seems to be working against her, especially when she meets her Hawaiian guardian angel who tells her that he can't reveal her future nor can he help her out. When her grandmother is arrested for the murder of a local land developer, Jaswinder is convinced that her grandmother is innocent, but must turn her own lif ...more
Kelly
Sep 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Funny entertaining novel set in the backdrop of the beautiful island of Maui.
Enjoyable read with laugh out loud moments as Jaswinder attempts to help
her grandmother despite not speaking her grandmothers native language.
The adventures begin when Jaswinder arrives to bail her grandmother out of
jail for possession of marijuana. The story continues like a sitcom with various
outrageously unbelievable plots. This was a nice break from the heavy murder
mysteries I had been reading.

Http://bookwormrevi
Peggy
Apr 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book! Perfect for a week-end read. The characters are engaging, the locale is awesome and the writting is fun. Jaswinder is a hoot...she manages to get herself into all kinds of trouble with no help from her guardian angel. What the heck is he doing anyway...the plot is fun and the people more so. Pull up a beach chair or blanket and enjoy!
By the way, this was a free book and it's true...the best things in life are free!

PS Dee, thanks for the candy bar...you were right, great with rai
Maya
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I've been to Hawaii enough to appreciate the local flavor the author adds, especially the joke in the company name, Haole Wood, and the trials of the very white heroine who sticks out as a mainlander despite her Asian Hawaiian father and grandmother. This quirky book is a little confused on whether it wants to be a romance or a cozy mystery when it grows up, but don't let that stop you from reading it.
Dave Malone
Jun 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
What a magnificent sense of humor, LOL-funny passages, and quirky characters. I love the narrator in Jaswinder and how quickly she gets herself into big trouble. But she is a survivor, oh those sunshminas! Not only is the novel well-written, nicely paced, and suspenseful, but there is a heart here, too. And overall, a great journey to be on.
Kelly
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Wanted a light-hearted read on the trip home from vacation. It was a light, easy read. But it was hard to like since I found the main character to be pretty much of an idiot. The grandmother was charming, and the guardian angel was kind of amusing, but a lot of the story was too silly, and I just didn't like the protagonist.
Cindy
May 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-reads, chick-lit
This is such a fun story, great beach read. I really enjoy Dee's writing, she is able to paint such a wonderful picture for the reader...I almost felt like I was in Hawaii. Crime, drama, romance, not to mention a cute doctor, with some twists thrown in along the way, this book has it all!
Sara
May 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I usually am not drawn to murder mysteries, but this had enough humor for the story to excite me. I enjoyed reading this novel, and look forward to more from this author. I'm glad I won this First Reads book.
Cheryl
Jun 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was drawn to this book because of the Korean grandma...my kids have a Korean grandma and I can relate to the language barrier. This W's a fun and entertaining read and was free for kindle.
Lindsey Erickson
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute book. Super fast read. Perfect little beach read.
Darla Buchwalter
Oct 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was not expecting much from this book. Boy was I wrong. Dee DeTariso I will be buying more book by you. I loved the humor in this story. Such a fun read!
Angela
May 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun, with captivating characters! A good summer read!
Rose
Nov 19, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
When the main character, on page two, says that her mom is not the boss of her, I have serious doubts about the maturity of said character. The parts that I read (the beginning) had problematic grammar, and the narration jumped back and forth in a rather confusing way. The main character's on Hawaii, then suddenly she starts going on about her job, and then some ghost(?) and disaster and her sister and I have no idea what she's talking about.

I admit to having downloaded this, in part, to see jus
Barnes & Noble Nook: Giveaway - 3 ebooks! 1 28 Oct 20, 2012 01:30PM
Book Giveaways: Giveaway - 3 ebooks! 1 13 Oct 20, 2012 01:26PM
Free Books, .99, ...: Giveaway - 3 ebooks! 1 4 Oct 20, 2012 01:17PM
Free Book Giveaway: Giveaway - 3 ebooks! 1 6 Oct 20, 2012 01:11PM

• Ms America and the Offing on Oahu (Beauty Queen Mystery, #1)
  • Alice in Wonderland
  • Falling Uphill
  • Stolen Secrets (Sisters of Spirit #3)
  • Gnome On The Range
  • Got Your Number
  • Smart Mouth Waitress (Life in Saltwater City, #2)
  • Elly in Bloom
  • Jackpot!
  • The Do-Over
  • Hot Flash
  • Crazy in Paradise (Paradise, #1)
  • An Uncommon Family (Family Portrait, #1)
  • Get Bunny Love
  • Crossroads Road
  • Cafenova (Clairmont Series #1)
  • Accidentally Yours
  • Magnus Opum
DEE DeTARSIO is an award-winning writer living in southern California. After growing up in Ennui, Ohio, and graduating from The Ohio State University she vowed never to be cold again and ended up in Tucson, Arizona, producing the news for the CBS affiliate, oddly enough called KOLD-TV. She moved to San Diego where she worked in the SeaWorld entertainment department as a producer/writer. (Penguins ...more