Start by marking “My Paper Heart (My Paper Heart, #1)” as Want to Read:
My Paper Heart (My Paper Heart, #1)

My Paper Heart

(My Paper Heart #1)

Getting into my top choice sorority? Done.

Dating one of the hottest guys in the biggest fraternity? Done.

Failing out of College? Oops...

When Libby Gentry's parents receive the letter that she's failed out of school, Libby is forced to pack her Prada bag and head to work for her great aunt in rural Louisiana.

Nothing about tiny Elsbury, Louisiana, entices her until she l
Published August 1st 2012 by Beautifully Broken Books (first published July 26th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about My Paper Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Paper Heart

Start your review of My Paper Heart (My Paper Heart, #1)
Elena
Aug 01, 2012 rated it did not like it
There are so many wrong things with this book, I don't even know where to start.

Okay all right ready set here we go.
(spoilers ahead)

Let's just begin with the plot, and then move on to the single characters, shall we?

Plot.

What.
the fuck.
was that.

Elizabeth "Libby" Gentry is somewhat of a spoiled sorority girl from Chicago. She has a wealthy family, a body girls would kill for, the looks, and a really popular boyfriend. But after living in the world of books, we know nothing is ever what is seems, d
Marie
Jul 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
ThIS WAS SO DAMN CUTE!!

And soooo funny at times!
I loved this scene:

The suit fit Blaine in all of the right places, nothing tight or loose, he looked so good I kind of wanted to jump him right there in the middle of the department store. I'm sure that would have actually made his day. He didn't even blink an eye at the price of the suit, which for him was probably quite a lot of money.
"Thanks for doing this for me baby." I smiled, grabbing his free hand with mine.
"Naw, no problem. It was k
Magan Vernon
Jun 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
After graduating college I had an idea for a book about a girl that got the letter she couldn't maintain her grades and would be kicked out of college.

There was that idea, but a story never came into fruition. Then I was with my (then fiance) in West Virginia for a football game. That night I had a dream about a girl dancing, her blonde hair was swinging all around her head. I wanted to know who the girl was and why she was dancing. Then she got the attention of a guy with the most beautiful pai
Sarah Oxford
Jan 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, new-adult, 2014
This was a fairly cute story but not really special. I actually love the city girl falls for the small town guy and life kind of story and it was the romance that hooked me here. My problem was Libby. On the one hand I really like a main character to have real flaws and not always act sensibly, so I liked that both characters did and said things that perhaps they shouldn't have. But on the other hand, I found Libby particularly unlikable, especially in how she treated her family and friends. I d ...more
Sierra Hunt
Nov 16, 2015 rated it liked it
I'm still a little unsure how I feel about this book. My biggest problem with this book was the actual writing. I don't know if it was just the copy that I was reading, but it contained a lot of types, which were distracting, and a lot of the writing was just not very good. I enjoyed the actual plot of the story since I'm always down for a good romance, but…I don't know…it just wasn't really as good as I was hoping it would be.
Apryl
Jul 06, 2015 rated it liked it
It was kinda cute. If you want a fun mindless summer read :)
Sana
Aug 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
A piece of a dead tree makes it way to Libby's home and her immediate future is decided. In a matter of few hours, Libby goes from being a sorority princess at the Illinois State University to working at her great aunt's antiques shop in Louisiana. Talk about a major demotion! Well, it is what it is, so Libby begrudgingly packs her bags to leave her home for who knows how long.

It's not like Libby can say much to defend her party-hard-and-get-drunk-harder image because no one really wants to know
Lisa
Aug 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: indie
My Paper Heart is one of the many books I have found recently where a few tweaks could have made it great. I am not someone who needs every little issue tied up in a neat little bow by the time a book is done but sometimes it seems books mention issues to add depth but then don’t fully build on them. I am left wondering why it was in there in the first place and that was my biggest issue with the book.

Libby comes off as a little superficial in the beginning and me and superficial just do not ge
Dec 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Review also posted on http://bookishtreasures.blogspot.co.uk/

Having enjoyed reading this authors YA book - How to Date an Alien - I was excited to see how she would do with a contemporary NA story. I think the author did an excellent job with the more mature storyline and as a result My Paper Heart is a great example of an NA contemporary romance.

I liked how in this book the characters aren’t perfect; they don’t live perfect lives and things don’t always go the way they wish. The book starts wit
Shawna LeAnn
Jul 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure what to expect when going into reading My Paper Heart. I have never read a book by Magan Vernon before but once I read the synopsis and saw that it was going to be classified as New Adult I knew I had to give this book a shot.

Libby isn't you typical blonde bimbo. Well, from the looks of it I guess you can say she is... flunking out of college after her first year and the sorority she was apart of could very well make you think she is a nothing more than a sorority girl with money w
Rebecca
Oct 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
3 Sweet Stars!!

I have to admit, I had a really hard time getting into this book at first. Mostly because the main character, Libby, repulsed me. She annoyed me so badly I wanted to pluck my eyes out with a dull spoon. However, as the book progressed she did grow on me.

My Paper Heart is the story of Libby, a band geek turned sorority socialite who has gotten kicked out of college. This is utterly disgraceful to her hard as stone uber successful lawyer mother and drunk, typically doesn't care suc
Lovey Dovey Books
Jun 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Magan Vernon, author of the young adult My Alien Romance series, ventures into the burgeoning New Adult genre. Her sassy female lead, Libby, puts the 'fun' in funny and makes My Paper Heart an extremely entertaining read!

Libby's story will reach the hearts of young women in many walks of life. She's lost, vulnerable, and drowning in the woes of a negative self-image. Until she's sent to Louisiana, as punishment for failing out of her first year of college, Libby doesn't know what it's like to be
heather - NightlyReading
Jul 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Libby is your typical rich girl. Her parent’s are wealthy and she has a huge house and all the finest name brand accessories. But, when she flunks out of college, her parents decide to send her to a po-dunk Louisiana town to stay with her great aunt. Libby tries to get out of it, but, her parent’s do not want to hear it. So, she gets on the bus and tries to deal with what is ahead of her.

I enjoyed the character of Libby because even though she was treated like a princess, she also shows her vuln
Carla
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
*I was given a copy of this book as a gift from Stephanie's Book Reports in exchange for an honest review.

Libby Gentry has been living it up throughout her first year of college. Unfortunately, she hasn't spent a lot of time studying which causes her to flunk. Her parent's are fed up with her, so they send her to her great aunt's house in Louisiana for the summer. The plan is for Libby to stay at her aunt's house and work in her aunt's shop.

Elsbury Louisiana is a hick town smack dab in the middl
Paula  Phillips
Libby Gentry's parents have had enough as they receive her final results from College and discover that she has completely flunked out and the worst thing is that Libby doesn't seem to care too much about it. This is the final straw for her parents, and so they decide to send her to the small town of Elsbury, Louisana to stay with her Great -Aunt. Libby arrives at the small podunk town and meets her cousin Brittany - her Great-aunt's granddaughter. Libby was hoping for someone who she could trad ...more
Amy
Sep 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
My Paper Heart follows the story of Libby. There is nothing worse than being kicked out of college, than having your parents be the one to tell you about it. Her parents decide to ship her off to live with her aunt in Louisiana, to hopefully give her some perspective on life. She's not at all worried about having to spend her summer in a small. The last thing she expects is to find love in the country......

My Paper Heart was a really cute story. Even though Libby frustrated me at times and defin
Step Into Fiction
Sep 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: jessica
I am a fan of Magan’s after having read How to Break Up With an Alien; I thought that was such a cute and fun book! (I’m tackling the second book, How to Break Up With an Alien next month) My Paper Heart was cute, as well but the two main characters, especially Libby bugged me to no end. I just found no way to connect with her and as her being our main character which really is a shame.

Read full review at Step Into Fiction

Review completed by: Jessica
Laura Pauling
Jul 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
I am becoming a fan of upper YA/ New Adult contemporary romance. So much angst. Such great writing and conflict.

Libby is failing college so her parents, who seem very uncaring, send her to live with her aunt in the Bayou. Libby goes from rich to poor. And I love how she adjusts to this with mistakes and with grace. She meets Blaine.

The romance was great and I loved learning more about Blaine and Libby as their pasts are revealed and watching them to learn to adapt.

A fun, fast read you won't reg
Sandra
Sep 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. The story was endearing to say the least, and Libby was an easy character to love. I did feel like the story was stretched just for the sake for having more pages- when libby would go back and forth on a decision over and over agin, it got frustrating, and the end was so abrupt, you'd wonder if you lost some pages somewhere.

It in all it was an interesting read, with a 3.9 rating form me.
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Jan 04, 2013 rated it did not like it
Oh, I wanted so much to like this book, and parts were enjoyable, but I felt as if half the story was missing... And then had to double check that I wasn't reading a completely different book. I just finished it and barely remembered the main characters names. It really needed to be longer, the beginning was more than promising, but as soon as Libby met Blaine, it felt like it all went downhill from there. He was cardboard and she was annoying. I tried, persisted, and just wish I hadn't.
Crystal Paglino
Jul 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I honestly wasn’t sure where the story was going to go. The first page explained how she got kicked out and eventually I fell in love with the whole story. I think Magan did an amazing job writing it. All the characters were very lovable and hate-able at the same time.

See my completed review at http://crysbookreviews.wordpress.com/...
Michelle
Apr 04, 2013 marked it as dnf
I've had this book sitting waiting to be read for a while. But as soon as I began reading I was quickly left disappointed.

Not only is the protagonist judgmental, I also thought it felt rushed. She goes from living at home and failing school, to being shipped off to stay with relatives, then having a crush on a stranger all in the matter of days.
Laura's Book Addiction
Jul 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
Jenn (Technicolor Moments)
Aug 30, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ebooks-read
This was just a cliched, stereotyped mess of a book, period.
Amber Jones
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Oh my what an amazing book. It is first in a four part series that I desperately am wanting to read now.

Libby thinks her life is ending when her bf is repeately caught cheating on her and she flunks out of college and her parents sent her to her great aunts in louisiana to work for her.

But she emediately meets Blaine a boy that thinks he can boss her around and man handle her for everything he seems to think she is doing wrong.

Blaine oh my what a droolworthy man he is epitimy of the kind of gu
Tara Adler
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Relatable with happy ending

I think most girls and women regularly find themselves feeling out of place wondering what happened to get them to that point. Libby does a lot of that wondering if the choices she made could make her and her relationships better. Then there's Blaine a country boy with a heart of gold and makes some decisions that make him seem like a real jerk. I think there is a little more flushing out the characters that could be done but it works overall. Libbys mom and sister pre
valeria
I did not like the attitude of libby, very childish, she criticized everything, she believed herself better than everyone, when the sister wanted to tell her about Blaine, she thought that I am not interested in that, ah, but the one who worked with her told her things, that wants to hear it, from there talking about poor britt she never tried to be her friend, she was more worried when she and blaine would be intimate than anything else, and between that i'm ugly, i'm very tall, i'm fat, my hai ...more
Ebony
Sep 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
City girl with a small time heart

The plot was sweet , but it was disconnected. Libby's parents really got on my nerves. They ignored the fact that she was binging and never even addressed it. Didn't intervene as she fell apart in college, yet sent her away instead of loving her through her issues. When she returned all they had to say was she found herself, what through this dude?! It made no sense. They talked about all the time they spent together, but it didn't even seem like they really knew
Turtlefrog
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nook
Libby was a really hard MC for me to like. She was very insecure about herself and her insecurities became more vapid as the relationship between her and Blaine progressed.

I also didn't like how she was very quick to judge others when she herself was so insecure.

I guess it all worked out in the end. She found her true idenity and what makes her happy (blah blah blah) but it was a really long read to get to that point.

Not sure if I will continue the series. Guess it depends if the other ebooks a
TRACY-ANNE PADDOCK
Really thought this was going to be a five year rating...

Well it started off a good read, but considering, according to the acknowledgements, how many people read it before publishing, I'm sad and surprised at the amount of stupid spelling mistakes, which by the end of the book, I was just shaking my head a lot. It was great to see how the main character had grown by the end, but please authors, get a proofreader before publishing.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Fix Her Up (The Fix, #1)
  • Being Brooke (Barley Cross, #1)
  • Cowboys Don't Quit (Code of the West #2; Tanner Brothers #2)
  • Hidden Hollywood (Happy Endings Book Club, #1)
  • P.S. I Hate You (P.S., #1)
  • Knocked Up By The Billionaire
  • Holiday Encounters Books 1-3 (Holiday Encounters #1-3)
  • Sugar and Ice (Rinkside in the Rockies #1)
  • Forever Ours (Shattered Hearts, #1)
  • First Comes Love (Love & Marriage, #1)
  • Falling (Fall and Rise Duet #1)
  • Throb (Life on Stage, #1)
  • Kane (The Wilder Brothers, #4; American Extreme Bull Riders Tour #6)
  • Scored
  • Next to  You (Phlox Beauty, #1)
  • Traded: Brody and Kara (Cliffside Bay, #1)
  • Easy Love (Boudreaux, #1)
  • Boring is the New Black (The Fashionista and The Geek #1)
Magan Vernon has been living off of reader tears since she wrote her first short story in 2004. She now spends her time killing off fictional characters, pretending to plot while she really just watches Netflix, and she tries to do this all while her two young children run amok around her Texas ranch.

You can stalk or...er...find her online at all of these fun and happy places.

Amazon Author Link: h

My Paper Heart (4 books)
  • On Paper Wings (My Paper Heart #2)
  • A Paper Trail (My Paper Heart, #3)
  • These Paper Walls (My Paper Heart, #4)