Start by marking “Bane (Vampire Apocalypse, #1)” as Want to Read:
Bane (Vampire Apocalypse, #1)

Bane (Vampire Apocalypse #1)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  868 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
By Wall Street Journal & New York Times Bestselling Author H.M. Ward

The world as we know it is gone.
The ice caps have melted and shifted south, devastating the northern territories. Cities such as New York and London now lie in frozen ruins on the ocean floor.

Humans have become scarce as many died off during an epidemic, and many more perished during the floods at the
Published June 15th 2012 by Laree Bailey Press (first published April 2012)

Ashleigh
Dec 28, 2016 rated it liked it
1. Ignore the cover... I honestly can not say what that is all about, at no point is there a topless man wearing sun glasses.. this book is set in a post apocalyptic ice covered world, where the human race is all but died out and vampires rule.
2. I'd pretty much say to also ignore the title.. that is not the name of the random cover guy .. it is in fact the name of the half human half vampire people.
3. Although the cover may indicate otherwise this is in fact a YA dystopia told primarily throug
Izzy Lightfleur ~ ON HIATUS
I GOT TO GET AN ARC{Advanced Reserved Copy} AND IT WAS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

Bane is the most awesome vampire book I've read. The main character is Kahli, a six-teen-year old girl who is wicked awesome and is super cool!!!!!!!

This book's main conflict is; How will Kahli escape?(Hehe, doesn't make sense to you guys huh? Well....READ THE BOOK!)

The story line is amazing, I love the character(*cough, cough* KAHLI!). I like the action in the book and, again, I ♥ Kahli. ;) Th
ZARIA (Sheldon Cooper lover)
Apr 07, 2014 rated it did not like it
A firm Did-Not-Finish for me.

Again, did I read the same book as everyone else???
Characters were not developed the story was pointless,I was rolling my eyes from the first page.
A massive ice burg broke off of the Artic Shelf, its width spanning nearly half the ocean. The massive pile of ice fell into the sea and caused the ocean to rise. As the mini-continent floated further south, it sank towns along the shore, bringing another ice age with it.

As decades passed, the free humans disappeared, die
Willow Brooks
Aug 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Will & Kahli
 photo image_zpsp0talvzd.jpg

Loved this story!!!

Finally $4.99 well spent on a a story that lived up to the hype. I was engaged from the very first chapter.

Kahli is the only original human left on earth and for that reason she is a true delicacy worth more than anything on earth. Her untainted blood has the power to restore the vampire race to its former glory, but exactly how to go about it is the question.

Kahli is young and bad-to-the-bone. She survived on her own since she was seven without ever coming
Shirley
Mar 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can I just say I loved this book!!! To me it was wayyyyyyyy better than Demon Kissed! Kahli is badass,Will is super hot and I can't wait for book 2!!!!!
Piseog
Jul 18, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was very excited about this book, but it turned out alot different than how I thought it would be. Kahli is the only wild human left and hasn't spoken to another human in almost 10 years. You wouldn't think it. The author did not take this fact into account when creating the character. She's pretty well adjusted and becomes aquainted with the royal vampire life quite fast. She even references pixie sticks. How would she know what they are? How would she even know much about sex? It's
B at Spare Time Book Blog
Bane kind of took me by surprise. It was completely different from any kind of vampire story I have ever read. The whole concept of the apocalypse is awesome then you throw in vampires and it makes it an even more amazing story. Kahli is probably one of my favorite female characters. She's strong and independent and can definitely survive on her own. She has a will to survive like no one I have ever read about. The concept of the Bane was really unique too. I would love to learn more about them! ...more
Yovana
Sep 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Serious loved this book! It was different from her other books. Yet even though it was different, i was still transported into that world when reading. From the setting to the plot to the ending. Kahli being the last wild human and having to endure so many hardship and attacks. Being so exotic gave her something of an edge when she was captured and sold. Even after everything she went through she will not give up her wild personality. Even though Will was the one that sold her, there was somethi ...more
Teiamarie
Sabrina
Sep 15, 2013 rated it did not like it
The premise of this book sounded really good and it got quite good reviews here on Goodreads. Now I wonder if I read the same book as everyone else. It's a hit or miss when it comes to vampire books, and this was a miss.

Let me start with something positive: I really liked the first couple of pages, where we are introduced to the world, and the whole concept of a frozen world and vampires in control. And that's the end of the positive.

The writing sucks. It seems like the author couldn't decide on
Rhodolitejail
This book. This author. They are awesome. I had put off reading this book in the beginning as I tend to get distracted easily. Anyway, once I started reading it, I was drawn into this new vampire world HMWard had created. Seriously, I love this woman.

There is a vampire monarchy in this new world. You will be sucked into this world for sure. The prologue will give you your first short of stress– anticipation and you will feel like Kahli is feeling. – you don't want to be found.

Our protagonist Ka
Judy
Jun 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! Such a fresh look on the vampire theme with strong characters in Will and Kahli. Really liked the romance too. Wish the second book was out so I could start it tonight!
Lisa
Aug 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is AMAZING!It had me hooked from the beginning .The story line is so original and I love the two main characters.I want more! : )
Andie
Aug 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Holy smokes! I just read this from beginning to end in less than 4 hours straight! It was way better than I was expecting! I can't wait for the second one!!!
Amelia
Jan 08, 2017 rated it liked it
On the one hand, I liked Bane's plot and enjoyed the read. On the other, the execution is a mess.

Bane would appear to be one of H.M. Ward's earlier publications, so I can only hope she has already taken this advice from someone else but if not, it still stands. Grammar and syntax count! English is a language with a lot of variations on tenses to deliver nuances in meaning; make use of them! I know I've been lucky to have had rather a thorough education, but if you choose to become a writer then
Nereid
What a great new series, we have the opening chapter where Kahli's mother is being pursued by Trackers and manages to hide Kahli in a thicket and a vampire boy finds her but does not give away her location. Her mother is dragged off and not seen again so Kahli has to fend for herself in the wild against Trackers and wolves. The world as we know it has changed, humans have died out and vampires are following close behind. Camps have been set up to breed humans and the royal family have some in th ...more
DeeDee
Jan 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, e-books
I really loved this book! I was expecting it to be another typical vampire story, but it was a lot more than that. It was a combination of paranormal, dystopian, romance, and fantasy. It had a kick-butt heroine, a loveable love interest, bad guys, angst, mystery, etc. It had quality writing that hooked me in and kept me interested. It did seem a little short, but maybe that's because I was enjoying it so much. I hope book 2 comes out soon! I really want to know what the runes mean.
Black Queen
Feb 03, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Everyone has said they love the book review on this book..and know a giveaway I thought this book would have almost about a hundred enters. I know this book will be over awesome just read the book review on it..:D
LeAnn
Mar 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aaaaah! This was amazing!! Definitely a page turner and I cannot wait for the next book! You've done it again Miss Ward!
Megan
Jul 27, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I'm not usually in to books like this but I did here it was pretty good.
Melanie
Sep 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Vampires, action, blood, physical attraction, struggle for survival, intrigue, a kickass girl and a hot, hot guy!

I loved this story and can't wait to read the sequels. I love paranormal stories involving vampires and I love H.M. Ward's style of writting. Put the two together and, BAM! Insta-hit for me! It goes on my "to-read-again" list.

At the time of posting this review, there are 2 books out in this series (Bane & Catalyst) and the 3rd one (Divergent) is in the making.

This is a paranormal
Anita Powers
I have had this book on my TBR list for so long and finally decided to read it and I loved it, wow so good and so different. I am a huge Holly fan for her steamy romance books but now I am in love with these books of hers also. I love Kahli, she is strong, feisty, independent, loyal, loving, and alone. I was saddened right from the start with what she had to deal with and witness. I knew that the boy with the blue eyes that she met when she was barely seven was going to play a part in her future ...more
EMILY
Oct 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
DISCLAIMER TO MY FELLOW GOODREADER
This review is my personal opinion and may contain: spoilers, quotes, rants, cussing (sometimes I cannot help myself) and a possible full on recap. I in no way want to ruin anyone’s book reading experience so please read my words with caution.

17 year old Kahli has been on her own ever since her mother was killed by Trackers (vampires capturing humans to send to farms for their blood) nearly 10 years ago. She became independent, strong and has survived on her own
Tanya
Bane

Book 1 -
A Ya Post Apocalyptic , paranormal romance

This book is set in a harsh unforgiving future. A massive iceberg separated from the arctic shelf and flooded the word. A new ice age has begun. Humans are food and Vampires rule the world.... what little is left of it.

Humans are contained in farms for food , but much crossbreeding has weakened the blood supply. Humans are weak and are dying out.

The Vampire race has 2 distinctions: Regents- the ancient , pale faced traditional vampire or Ban
Jess Haines
If you can look past the many spelling and grammar errors and have no problem suspending disbelief or logic, I can see this appealing to a younger mind-set. The relationship was very Twilight-esque, though Kahli, the main character, had more backbone than Bella ever did.

Unfortunately, due to many errors, I can't recommend this book. There were an incredible number of homonyms (e.g., "chase" instead of "chaise," "plated" instead of "plaited," "snip-its" instead of "snippets," etc) littered throu
Marsha
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
When I first read the summary for "Bane" in my mind I knew that I had found my next good read; but, honestly the oh appeal this book had was in my expectations only!

The storyline is one of a 17 Year old girl who has been living on her own surviving against all odds in a dystopian world where the ice age exists and vampires have captured most humans farming them as a food supply that is quickly diminishing their nutritional needs. When red headed Kahli is found and captured she is the purest huma
Holly
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What can I say about this book? Do I hate it? No. Do I love it? It's up for debate. The story line was good and twisted. Who would have thought to mix the end of the world apocalypse with Vampires, Humans, and half breeds known as the Bane (human/vampire). Not including mix in a little romance that is slowly unfolding, throw in a group of kids trying to survive, and vampire's putting humans in camps to use them for blood, and you get a good Young Adult vampire novel that is sure to thrill some a ...more
Amanda
Feb 25, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really need to be careful that I don't accidentally download "Young Adult" books.

I started reading Bane and became intrigued with the story line. The plot is decent but I think the overall character development of the lead female needed some adjustments. For being the "last human in the wild", she somehow knows enough about pop culture (pixie stix etc) and there are some other oddities (safe houses being built and having electricity/generators?)

The male lead intrigued me and I think the twis
Belinda
Oct 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ya, dystopia
Sometimes the POV changed in weird ways and I was wondering "who the hell is thinking this now???" The writing is pretty mediocre and there were a few typos.
Plus I only just realized now, after finishing this book, that the author has apparently abandonded this series :( just my luck

But I loved the idea behind this and the story was pretty entertaining and surprisingly not 100% predictable. I loved both main characters, which is pretty rare. Kahli is a kick-ass heroine and Will could drink from
Maria Johnston
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i first found this book on amazon for .99 i didn't think it would be all that great. i was wrong. this book is actually pretty awesome. it kept me wanting more the whole time and didn't end like a lot of vampire books usually do these days. this is diffidently going to be on my list of favorites. i'm getting the second book to it, right now. if you love a book with vampires (that doesn't revolve around sex) action and a strong female lead role that doesn't take crap form anyone, you have to READ ...more
  • Darkness Falls (Darkness Falls, #1)
  • Freak
  • The Unintended (The Watcher, #1)
  • ReVamped (Angel Creek, #1)
  • Ordained (The Immortal Archives, #1)
  • Shining in Crimson (Empire of Blood, #1)
  • Demon Vampire: Anthology (The Redgold Series, #1,#2, #3)
  • Vamplayers
  • The Scarlet Dagger (The Red Sector Chronicles #1)
  • Initiation (The Warrior, #1)
  • A Vampire's Dominion (The Stone Masters Vampire, #3)
  • What Kills Me (What Kills Me, #1)
  • Awaken Me (Connected, #1)
  • Frozen Heart
  • Scent of a White Rose (The Rose Trilogy, #1)
  • Icarus (The Kindred)
  • Blood Born (Blood Prophecy, #1)
  • The Judging (The Corescu Chronicles #1)
H.M. Ward continues to reign as a NEW YORK TIMES bestselling author who is swiftly approaching 13 million copies sold, placing her among the literary titans. Ward has been featured in articles in the NEW YORK TIMES, FORBES, and USA TODAY to name a few.

You can interact with this bestselling author at: www.facebook.com/AuthorHMWard. Text HMWARD to 24587 and get a text reminder on release & sale
More about H.M. Ward...

Vampire Apocalypse (3 books)
  • Catalyst (Vampire Apocalypse, #2)
  • Divergent (Vampire Apocalypse, #3)

“room. “Glad to see you’re awake,” he said. “I was starting to think it was foolish to try and heal you without using blood—with wounds like that, anyway—but you proved me wrong.” Will sat at a small table across from her. His silhouette was outlined by a roaring fire. The” 0 likes