Start by marking “Shadows of the Hidden” as Want to Read:
Shadows of the Hidden

Shadows of the Hidden

(Originally published under the title THE CLEARING)

Natalie Watson doesn't believe her parents are dead, even though they disappeared five years ago. Discovering the truth about their fate is one of the only things that gets her out of bed in the morning. But after moving from her home in Georgia to her aunt's boarding school in Maine, solving the mystery of her parents' wh
Published December 1st 2012 by Compass Press (first published February 13th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Shadows of the Hidden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadows of the Hidden

Anne
May 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I wrote it, so...I give it five stars!
A Book Vacation
Jul 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

***This review based on the cover and novel The Clearing prior to its editing and republishing as 'Shadow of the Hidden.'***

This is one of those novels that I just happened to stumble upon, thanks to Amazon. I really love the recommendation feature on sites like Amazon and Barnes and Nobel, but I’m going to be honest, I am the reader that looks at the covers of books and, if it is appealing, will pick it up and read the synopsis. Then, if the synopsis is interesting, I’ll read the book
Jamey
Oct 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Clearing" sneaks up on you...in a good way. When I began the book, I was dubious about a few of the characters, but about a third of the way into the book, they go from being two-dimensional to fully-realized three-dimensional characters. The payoff is definitely worth it--not just with the characters, but with the more fantastical elements of the book as well.

Anne's true strength is her dialogue and inner monologue. It feels incredibly real (and often funny), and it's a sign that any of An
K.L. Lantz
Feb 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Update: This is being republished by Compass Press and they have put a GORGEOUS cover on it! Please ignore my complaining about the lack of awesome cover below. It's been more than remedied by Compass Press. So excited to see this incredible book get a new cover and a new chance to reach the readers who will love it.

Just finished reading The Clearing by Anne Riley and it was a very satisfying read! The twists and emotional intensity really got me. It dealt with the reality of bereavement very we
Fiona Titchenell
Dec 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Oops, this was meant to be a review but was a comment for a while:

I feel very lucky to have stumbled on Shadows of the Hidden exactly when I did, because it's a real treat of a Christmas read, the kind that makes me want a mug of hot cider and a house with a fireplace.

The basics: In the weeks leading up to Christmas, Natalie Watson discovers that suspected murderer and fellow social outcast, Liam Abernathy, may have information on the disappearance of her parents five years prior. Liam turns o
Medeia Sharif
Feb 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mousy and meek Natalie Watson is bullied and humiliated by the popular kids at her boarding school. But if only they knew the tragedy that led her there, and the secrets simmering around her. When Natalie notices that her classmate Liam sneaks out at night, she's intrigued and then shocked by what he has to tell her. His nightly excursions are linked to the death of her parents, who allegedly committed suicide. He knows things about their demise, and he's willing to share his knowledge as long a ...more
Alicia
Sep 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grabbed this at the emerging writers table at the Decatur Book Fest, and finished it one day. Young adult fiction has been a weakness of mine for a while, and I was surprised by this book. It's a well written story about a 16-year-old girl who moves from Athens, Georgia to a boarding school in Maine after the tragic and untimely death of her parents. The novel doesn't fail to capture your attention, and you can hardly suppress yourself from flipping through the pages to find out what happens nex ...more
Farmers Wife
Feb 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teens; adult YA readers
Recommended to Farmers by: several goodreads friends
This was a good YA book. The story is unique. There is energy that plays out well through the scenes. The MC who has considered herself as one who doesn't fit in anywhere is actually gifted, unbeknownst to her. Separated from her parents due to their unexpected demise, Natalie (MC) can't seem to get the pieces of information leading to their death to add up. Liam might hold the answer to this.

Though a feather light 'love triangle' seems to develop, this is not a YA romance novel but a paranormal
Elle Strauss
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is something strange going on in the clearing. Natalie Watson is new to town, a loner and an outcast, not unlike the strange and quiet Liam Abernathy. She's afraid of him and if they could just get their stupid English assignment done, she'd stay away from him forever.

Like that's gonna happen...
Sarahjane
Jul 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is interesting and a good read for young adults. It was really hard to put down! I love the mixture of genres in this novel. The characters are easy to relate to and the plot-line keeps you engaged.
Lauren Denton
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
This book made me want to curl up under a warm blanket and drink a cup of tea! It's always so cold in the book--snow, bare branches, etc. Made me want warmth! Anne's book has great pacing--it doesn't lag or drag anywhere. And Natalie is a likeable MC.
Kayla
Jul 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, I couldn't put it down. :) It'll keep you in suspense the whole way through as you and Natalie (the main character) try to put pieces of the story together.
Kara Rutledge
I won this book in a first reads giveaway. The Clearing was very enjoyable and moved at a good pace. A definite must read.
Miss T
Jun 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fairy lovers
Recommended to Miss by: Lauranne Riley
Book donation to my school which turned out to be fabulous. Plot carries you at a brisk pace leaving you breathlessly waiting to see where it will end.
Jenn
I'm so excited about this book! I can't wait to read it and now just because I know the writer! It sounds so interesting and fun! I can't wait to get my hands on it! c:
Once
Jul 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-review
I loved this book from the beginning to the very end. It was so interesting and it kept you on your toes. You felt like you were part of the story and that you were friends with the characters. Plus you kept wishing you could have something like that to happen to you in your life. I was glad my husband worked nights because I can get so much reading done and don't feel bad about not spending anytime with him.

The main character Natalie had to move to a private school because her aunt works there
Jessica
Jan 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another book to add to my list of those I am truly glad I accepted for review! Shadows of the Hidden was most definitely worth it. We meet Natalie at a difficult time in her life. With her parent's disappearance looming over her, it doesn't really seem fair that she should have to deal with normal teenage issues as well. Then she notices her classmate Liam sneaking off into the woods at night, which sets into motion quite the unbelievable and intriguing story.

I was amazed at how easily I fell in
Pamela
Jan 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Loved this book. Only reason I didn't give it five stars is cuz it had a slight sci-fi twist to it, which I'm not a huge fan of. That being said, Shadows is a truly compelling read that I was loathe to put down. It took me several days to read, due to having to actually be a contributing member of society :-) If I could have, I would've locked myself in a room & read it in one sitting.

I really don't want to elaborate too much on the story itself. A huge part of the thrill of this book was u
Carrie
Dec 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
I won this from the Holiday Hullabaloo back in December. The cover was so pretty and the blurb sounded very good. It did not disappoint. I highly enjoyed this book. The pages flew by and I could not put it down.

I liked the characters and was entertained by the plot. I will always have a sort spot in my heart for Celtic lore, so to have the characters be druids was something I highly enjoyed. I liked the concept of their talents, it add an interesting element to the story.

I as far as the characte
The Cellist
Dec 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved the book! I couldn't put it down the moment I began reading so, after 2 days I had finished it. The plot was astounding! It kept moving and never was there a dull moment. I believe my favorite part about reading this book was the character development. Characters changed in ways I didn't expect and their personalities grew as well. The story was also very relatable and was another reason I couldn't put it down. I really felt for Natalie. Overall, an amazing book! My only regret is that I ...more
Ashley
Jul 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I was very impressed by this book, as well as the author. Anne Riley did a great job of handling a teenage complex. She dealt with bereavement in a good way too. The story itself had some twists and turns that I was not expecting at all, and thought that her whole concept was brilliant and played out very well. It had a different spin that I haven't encountered before, and was a fascinating read. I would be more than happy to read others books by her in the future, and will be recommending The C ...more
Kathleen
Jan 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
So, I had sworn myself off YA last year but this was already on my Kindle. I have found that YA just doesn't hold my attention anymore and this one almost didn't, but I loved Liam's character and stuck with it. I am glad I did. Actually, most of the characters were well done, although I did think we needed more about Tessa and George. I really wanted Tessa's back story, she was integral to the story but she was really flat to me. We knew her sister's story, but why not hers? Or maybe a bit of th ...more
Heather McCorkle
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In it's first incarnation as The Clearing, this book showed me that there are true gems among self-published novels. With characters that steal your heart, a story that keeps it pumping, and hardships that make it ache, Shadows is truly special. I have every confidence that it will be even more amazing in its traditionally published form.
Heather McCorkle
Mar 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a fun, intriguing mystery that kept me flipping pages once it got its hooks into me. After an exciting beginning it slowed down for a few chapters but I'm so glad I stayed with it because the payoff was truly worth it. If you enjoy mystery with fantastical elements, druids, or just great characters that you'll be rooting for, then you must read this novel!
Staci
Jul 24, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
it seems more like a book for teens. The setting is northern Maine and takes place in two time periods... current day in the life of a high school girl who is grieving the loss of both her parents and 300 years ago, where she finds a mystery of sorts. It deals with time travel and druids and good vs. evil.

Amy Jones
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. The pages flipped themselves! The characters were likable (or if not likable, interesting), and the fairy rings were a fascinating bit of lore I hadn't heard before. This book reminded me a good bit of Maureen Johnson's Shades of London series in style and ambience. Looking forward to "Pull"!
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017-reads
Quick read. Can't say I loved it, but also didn't hate it. Interesting concept.
Sara
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every good

The book might start a little dull, but it will get so Good you will read it really fast you will love it!!:)
Jessie Weaver
Fun, YA fantasy book.
Morgan Buchanan
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I personally loved the book!! The story was great, I loved the characters, Natalie was my favorite and I think this would make a great movie or TV show!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Feb 23, 2015 11:16AM

• Capture (The Lunica City Duet #1)
  • Annexed (The Refuge Trilogy, #1)
  • Shadows of the Rose
  • The Gypsy Thief (Talisman Trilogy, #1)
  • Chasing the Witch (Boston Witches, #2)
  • The Storykeepers
  • Legacy (Bloodline Book, #1)
  • Shadow Swans
  • The Nightmare Collection (Nightmare, #1-2)
  • Border Crossings: Coming of Age in the Czech Resistance
  • Glory
  • Andraste
  • The Blackhope Enigma  (The Blackhope Enigma, #1)
  • Red Smoke Rising
  • A Season of Transformation
  • Hurricane (Hurricane #1)
  • The Indiana Jones Handbook: The Complete Adventurer's Guide
Anne Riley is an author of young adult fiction cleverly disguised as a high school Spanish teacher. She lives in Birmingham, Alabama, with her family.

Anne began writing at the ripe old age of nine, when she penned a literary classic about… well, she doesn’t really remember what it was about, but she’s pretty sure the main characters were ferrets.

These days, she writes stories about teenagers inste