Start by marking “Chocolate-Covered Baloney (Confessions of April Grace #3)” as Want to Read:
Chocolate-Covered Baloney (Confessions of April Grace #3)

Chocolate-Covered Baloney (Confessions of April Grace #3)

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  157 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews

The last thing April Grace wants is more change in her life—but that’s exactly what she gets! Plus, April has a new mystery to solve when Myra Sue starts sneaking around and acting very suspicious!

From snooty new neighbors to starting junior high to getting a new baby brother to having her grandmother get a boyfriend, April Grace has had enough change to last until she i
Published November 12th 2012 by Thomas Nelson (first published October 30th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Chocolate-Covered Baloney, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chocolate-Covered Baloney

Faye, la Patata
Boy, oh boy! Good gravy!

This book was a very pleasant surprise. I requested this one day on NetGalley after seeing its ultra cute cover, and kind of forgot about it in the end. I was thinking it must be some boring Middle Grade book for tweens, talking about junior school evil teachers, hot classmates, and vile cheerleaders. I'm twenty now; I'm so over that phase. I didn't want to read all about those again, so this title kinda just... sat there. Then one day, I was looking for a light-hearted
Rose
Review to come. I read a bit over 50% of this novel and had to do a DNF review because of technical issues with my galley copy. If I ever come across a full copy of this work, I'll likely update this review (and surprisingly, I actually would like to read the rest of this at some point.) On an overarching note, with respect to the content of this - I had issues with the overuse of phrasing, the antagonism of the main character, April Grace, with respect to her sister, and the pacing of the narra ...more
Abbie Coon
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Adriana
Jan 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
She's Got Books on Her Mind

"What I wanted to do was stay in our nice, warm house, crawl up on my bed, wrap myself in the raggedy old blanket I'd had since I was little, and read that book that was supposed to be over my head. That's what I wanted to do, but something inside me said, "April Grace Reilly, something is Going On, and you need to find out what."

April Grace Reilly knows that her sister's up to no good what with her hanging around the mailbox all of a sudden and getting so defensive wh
Elizabeth S.
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm not a huge fan of change, and neither is April Grace Reilly, a sixth-grader from Cedar Ridge. April Grace's life turned upside down in such a short time, and it all started with a simple warning in church. It was almost as if the sermon Pastor Ross gave that Sunday morning in 1987 was meant specifically for April Grace and her family. He simply said, "Things are gonna change." (pg 1) And boy, oh boy, things surely did change!

Simple things occurred at first. Isabel, the Reilly's uppity neighb
TWJ Magazine
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
If you're a fan of books for tweens and teens, then you'll be a fan of K.D. McCrite and her lively young heroine, April Grace. This series takes place in the 1980's, before the age of cell phones and social media...which proves that tweens are pretty much the same regardless of the decade, and deal with the same kinds of issues.

In Chocolate Covered Baloney, April Grace has a lot to deal with. A grandmother she's never met before shows up on the family doorstep, acting like she's family and ready
Sharon
Nov 26, 2012 rated it liked it
The book up for review is “Chocolate-Covered Baloney(The Confessions of April Grace” by KD McCrite.

It revolves around the main character April Grace who lives with her youngest baby brother Eli, her oldest sister Myra and their parents. The setting is in the 80ties so there is a lot of reference to that time frame, a period I did enjoy thoroughly. She is a curious child with an active imagination. When she sees her older sister standing by the mailbox one evening and place something inside her b
Beverly
Dec 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is the third book in the series about April Grace. I have not yet read the first two, but was able to follow the story easily without having read them.

This is what I call a VOICE book. You know those books where you feel like you can clearly hear the character's voice in your head as you read. It's more like sitting down and having a conversation with a person than it is like reading a book.

I love April Grace. She's a strong, well developed character who grows throughout the story. She is c
Julie Graves
Nov 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-reads, christian
April Grace and her sister Myra Sue do not get along. Especially now that April knows that Myra has a secret. Myra has been sneaking out to the mailbox, writing mysterious letters in her room(pretending to be doing homework), and being cranky with everyone around her. Her family all chalks it up to "just a stage she's going through," but April thinks there is something more to it.

When a long-lost relative shows up unannounced things go from bad to worse. Now April and Myra have to share a room a
Morgan-Britney Hawksley
Summary: The last thing April Grace wants is more change in her life--but that's exactly what she gets! Plus, April has a new mystery to solve when Myra Sue starts sneaking around and acting very suspicious!

From snooty new neighbors to starting junior high to getting a new baby brother to having her"grandmother" get a boyfriend, April Grace has had enough change to last until she is at least 87 years old.

But when it rains, it pours, and April Grace is in for the ride of her life when her prissy,
Kathleen Pacious
Chocolate Covered Baloney is set in the Ozark Mountains in the 1980s and tells the story of 12 year old April Grace who is facing growing pains. Her older sister, Myra Sue, is acting sneakier than ever and April is determined to find out what she is up to. But things get more complicated than sibling fights when, at the surprise birthday party for Grandma, April’s other grandmother “Mimi” shows up, the one who abandoned April’s mother as a baby.

Once Mimi walks in, nobody in the family wants to a
Summer
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sixth-grader April Grace attempts to uncover her teenage sister Myra Sue's big secret amid other family and best friend drama.

The 1987 setting brought back childhood memories for me, I thoroughly enjoyed the references to the era, especially Myra Sue's fondness for soap operas so similar to my own, though it's not like you have to be of that time to get it, there's plenty here for young readers to identify with emotionally.

April Grace is such a great young heroine, clever, loving, and she speak
Gaele
Dec 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: net-galley, reviewed
Set in the 80’s, this third instalment in the Confessions of April Grace series finds a 12 year old April embroiled in changes: new school, new baby at home, new neighbors and a new boyfriend for *gasp* her Grandmother, it isn’t enough that this little heroine has to deal with the everyday stress of life. Sometimes funny, often surprising commentary escapes her lips, all very typical 12 year old behaviour.

Loaded with pop culture references from the 80’s, and limited in technology in the pre-Goo
Heidi
April Grace has a big mouth. She isn't afraid to say what she thinks, even if comes out rather rude. And she has definite opinions about things including her sister, Myra Sue's strange behavior. Having gotten in trouble previously she decides that she won't tell anyone about it until she has some concrete proof as to what her sister is doing. But the unexpected arrival of a relative throws all her plans into chaos, making her wonder what her life is coming to. Throw in a disagreement with her be ...more
Jeanie Loiacono
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing

From snooty new neighbors to starting junior high to getting a new baby brother to having her grandmother get a boyfriend, April Grace has had enough change to last until she is at least 87 years old.

But when it rains, it pours, and April Grace is in for the ride
Maria Tag
Jun 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: abagail joseph, abby unger, aaliyah moebius
This was a good book with a great Christian emphasis and good morals and life lessons.
Plot: April Grace Reilly is a spunky, feisty girl. She loves chocolate, books, and her family. But-there's always a but- April's life goes kapootsie. A long-lost relative appears ( a real-life screamin' Mimi!!!!) and her sister Myra Sue is definitely Up To Something. When the unthinkable happens, can April Grace solve a mystery and save her sister?
Positive Content: April Grace loves her family and learns many
Lynnea
Nov 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Chocolate-Covered Baloney (Confessions of April Grace #3) by K. D. McCrite was another fun book provided to me on my nook by Thomas Nelson Publishing in exchange for an honest review.

This book, written in the first-person, reminded me of the Junie B. Jones' books written for much younger kids. April Grace is a sixth grade girl, so definitely older and more mature than Junie B. but still just as funny.

I am looking forward to my twelve-year-old daughter to read this book. It is always fun to discu
Jody
Nov 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
I did not get to read the first two books in this series, and you really do not have to, to get the drift of what is going on although I am going to order them because I really enjoyed this book, April Grace being my favorite character of course.

I love
Raya Whitehouse
Nov 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: booksneeze
Third book in the series.
You don't really need to read the first two books in the series to get what is going on. This is a great story. This story could just happen and has happened to others, so reading it like this with such a good ending is great too. I would recommend this to teens and adults, i think that the problems in this book are pretty well relate-able to a lot of people.

It is about a family of two sisters and a baby brother. The oldest (Myra Sue) is into acting and now is being ve
Anna (Curiosity comes before Kay)
Leaving this one un-starred, because I didn't get to read enough of it to really judge it's merits as a book. I quit reading because the font (and the text in general) on my e-galley was very screwy and was bothering my eyes. Plus, I hadn't realized the protagonist was quite so young and that it was the third book in a series. Probably won't be going back to it and definitely wasn't the one for me, but I think from what I did get to read it would probably appeal to fans of Meg Cabot's "Allie Fin ...more
IrenesBookReviews
Jan 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was just an OK book for me. I have not read many books like this but wanted to give it a chance. I gave this book 4/5 stars. I liked the characters in the story. For having a young girl be the main focus of the story her personality really came through. The minor characters were also written well and you could feel their emotions with just the words on the pages. I did not enjoy the many arguments and what I felt like were disrespectful comments. You can write an argument or discussion with ...more
Dena (Batch of Books)
May 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade, mystery
This is a great book for a tween girl. April Grace is such an adorable character. I loved her to pieces. She was interesting, funny, and witty. The entire book is full of good, believable characters. The writing is clean and entertaining, while conveying the story and message clearly. Honestly, I just loved this book and would recommend it to any girl ages 8 and up.

While this is the third book in a series, it also can be read as a stand alone novel.

I received a copy of this book in exchange for
Stefanie
Mar 28, 2013 rated it did not like it
This writing style just wasn't for me. Add the fact that I really couldn't find myself in the main character, April Grace, and you can see why I wasn't a big fan of this book. I've read good reviews of this book, but it's not at all the kind of writing I enjoy, neither is it a character I connect with.

I admit that I haven't read any of the previous books in the series, but it felt like it could be read on its own.
Brooke
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s, family
Well... read my review on my blog: http://bloggingbrookeworm.blogspot.co...
Clare Cannon
Feb 03, 2013 marked it as goodreadingguide-com
Shelves: netgalley
KP to review for www.GoodReadingGuide.com
Hollie
May 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed all three of the books in this series. They are well written easy reads. You can't help but get drawn into the characters & their lives.
Morgan
Jun 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a cool series. It's pretty interesting about how her sister acts, and I really like this book.
Winter Clayton
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great ending to the trilogy!

And her author's note was interesting....I took a pic of it.
Tana Lovegood of Dumbledore's Army✞~ Rogers/America
I enjoyed this book! There is humor and a bit of mystery and family drama! I am sad the series is over but this is a great book!
Garta
Aug 06, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • A Summer of Sundays
  • No Place Like Holmes (No Place Like Holmes, #1)
  • Weddings and Wasabi (Sushi, #4)
  • Alchemy (Mercian Trilogy, #2)
  • Here's Lily! (Young Women of Faith: Lily Series, #1)
  • Silent Night (Rock Harbor #5.5)
  • Alias Dragonfly
  • Amongst the Dead
  • Need You Now
  • Through the Hidden Door
  • Thick as Thieves (Circle C Milestones, #1)
  • Sunflower Summer (Postcards from Misty Harbor Inn #2)
  • Perfect Game
  • Reckless Heart
  • Boondaburra
  • Heart of Ice (Triple Threat, #3)
  • Will in Scarlet
  • Christmas in Apple Ridge: Three-in-One Collection: The Sound of Sleigh Bells, The Christmas Singing, The Dawn of Christmas
Also writes as Kathaleen Burr.

K.D. McCrite was raised on a small dairy farm in the Ozarks. She has a degree in psychology from Drury University, and has worked as a librarian and as a mental health case worker.

She currently resides in Arkansas.
More about K.D. McCrite

Confessions of April Grace (3 books)
  • In Front of God and Everybody (Confessions of April Grace #1)
  • Cliques, Hicks, and Ugly Sticks (Confessions of April Grace #2)