Start by marking “Knight: My Story” as Want to Read:

Knight: My Story

Bob Knight was a head coach in college basketball at twenty-four, coach of an unbeaten NCAA champion at thirty-five, coach of the last amateur team to win the Olympic men's basketball gold medal at forty-three, and out of a job at not quite sixty.

His shock, disappointment and anger over Indiana University's manner of firing a twenty-nine-year employee comes through clearly
Published March 26th 2002 by Thomas Dunne Books

To ask other readers questions about Knight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knight

Joe Mossa
Sep 12, 2008 rated it did not like it

stange as it may seem,i like this coach but dislike this book. i read 200 pages,past my 100 minimum goal,but read no feelings there. the book reads like a basketball manual which i could get as much information from in less the time. it s full of games,wins,loses,tips,plays but few real feelings about real people. it is also a brag book. if coach knight has as many friends as he claims to have, he would have time for nothing else but to talk with friends. i wonder how those friends feel about h
Nancy
Nov 25, 2016 rated it liked it
This was a very slo-o-ow read because of the rambling style of the narrative. I could have done without all the hunting and fishing stories. However, I did learn about Bob Knight's basketball philosophy which I found extremely interesting and an immense amount about his character as seen from his viewpoint.
Brian O'Leary
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
He is such a fascinating person, but this book does not do him justice
Ann
Oct 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was raised in Indiana and I don't know a Hoosier who doesn't have an opinion about Coach Bob Knight. For years he was synonymous with Indiana University Basketball. Ask me who the coach is now: I don't know. But everyone knew when Bob Knight was there. And when Bob Knight was there, Indiana won a lot of basketball games. I love the game of basketball and I think Bob Knight is one of the top 5 coaches of all time.

In Knight: My Story, Bob Knight talks about growing up in Ohio, about his college
C Baker
Oct 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sports
Whether you love him, hate him, or are neutral toward him (I'm in the last category), Bob Knight's book is a fascinating glimpse at his personality, his Indiana basketball teams, and college basketball in general. For Indiana basketball fans (I'm an ACC fan) and college basketball fans in general (a category I fit into), this is a must read. Knight gives a lot of detail about his Indiana teams, especially those that won national championships, and discusses his point of view on the state of coll ...more
Kevin Hulfachor
Nov 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Knight: My Story
, is a well written autobiography about infamous basketball coach, Bob Knight. I found many parts of the book to be very interesting, however, I found myself pushing through certain parts of this book as well. When Mr. Knight describes his personal experiences with people whom he was in awe of, it effectively brings him down to the level of me, the reader. That is a very fascinating aspect that this book brings, as I found that despite Mr. Knight's fame and fortune, he is just
Kerry Trombley
Jul 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-book, 2013
A tremendous insight into the life and mind of the coach. You could tell he was still bitter about the way IU let him go, and he had some resentment for the people in charge. However valid it might have been, that part of the book left a bitter taste after hearing it. Although he states otherwise, Knight never really believes he is wrong...only that he is misunderstood or that others mistreated him. He consistently referees that he wants things to go back to the way they were...no 3 point line, ...more
Jeremy
Apr 10, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Coaches
Bob Knight is an enigma to me; an ostracized and demonized coach whom the media portrays as a backward and archaic man. But how did he win so much? Furthermore, why do so many of his former players pledge their loyalty to him?
This book is all Knight: short anecdotes, rough language, blunt teaching points.
It is very apparent when reading this that although he worked with a polished writer, Knight had final say. Because of this the book lacks any sense of flow and is often hard to read. It's conve
Carrie
Mar 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, nonfiction
What a fascinating book and a must read for Indiana basketball fans! The best parts are when Knight talks about the players, his championships, and his coaching strategies.

My only criticism is that he tends to go on tangents about his fishing trips and all the people in the world that he respects. Also, this is clearly a justification book where Knight tries to portray himself in the most flattering light. I don't necessarily see this as a writing flaw because it speaks volumes about the author,
John
Jan 04, 2011 rated it liked it
I "read" this in grad school in order to write a paper or something. I put "read" in quotation marks, because I did that half reading half skimming for good quotes thing. Knight's accomplishments on the court are superior enough to make him one of the top 5 college coaches ever, top 10 for sure. However, in reading biographies such as this, I always compare them to 'Wooden' and they rarely match up. Also, this book is pretty thick, which means it has a lot of boring filler in it, plus he talks a ...more
Steven Dowden
Mar 26, 2009 rated it liked it
Knight; My story is a good book for people who are interested in sports, coaching or Bobby Knight. It describes his teenage years, into his twenties, and thirties, up to today, all along relating basketball into his life. He talks about how basketball has saved his life numerous times and how he could always rely on it to be in his life. Since I've always like basketball and just recently became a Bobby Knight fan, I enjoyed this book.

Steven Dowden
Chris Hall
Jul 01, 2012 rated it liked it
There were times when I really enjoyed this book and thought it had much to offer. However, there were pages and pages of acknowledgements that in general did not seem to add much value to the book and made it drag on.

That being said Knights insights on the game are brilliant and it's clear that although he may be a stern coach with some anger management issues he's done a tremendous amount for the game of basketball and IU.

N
Apr 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Love him or hate him, there is no denying that he has a brilliant mind. He is one of the most interesting and extremely funny men I have ever known. I am proud to be his friend.

His book was fun for me to read, and it certainly shows that he has a multitude of interests outside of just basketball.

Definitely worth reading. The media have labeled him, and he is not someone who can be defined by a few of his actions.

Jay
Nov 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Growing up a Hoosier near Bloomington, Coach Knight had an enormous impact on our culture. Hard work, effort, and discipline were required of every one of us shooting hoops on the side of the barn if we were to play for the cream and crimson one day. This book takes you through his influences and stories along way.
Spencer Hill
Dec 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports
Bob Knight doesn't brag to much on himself in this autobiography. He is..and can be...arrogant, but he deserves to be sometimes. Walk a few miles in his shoes to get his perspective on College basketball and his role as a coach. Read this book before Feinstein's A season on the brink--you will have better perspective.
Emma
Jan 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Took me a long long time to finish reading it because near the end I got bored with the "I got fired because the new administration were jerks" talk. It's not that I don't agree with him, it just sounded very repetitive. Otherwise, I took some good stuff from the book.
Ryan Splenda
Jun 23, 2012 rated it liked it
A nice autobiography of one of my most favorite coaches in all of sports. Full of passion and grit, just like the real life person. A great read for those wanting to know about one of sports' most controversial figures.
Tony Ruble
Nov 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This guy gets a bad rap. He is a passionate guy from the old school who isn't perfect but has never pretended to be. It'll give you a new perspective on this man who has been crucified by the media for far too long.
Brian Wadman
Jan 04, 2017 rated it liked it
A man who couldn't change with the times. It's hard when the world's passed you by and everything you've believed because laughing fodder. Sorry Bobby, you were a heckuva coach - but I wouldn't let you get near my son. Your ego was TOO BIG!
Tim Sieber
Jan 07, 2014 rated it liked it
I read the book because love him or hate him, Bob Knight is interesting. I loved his coaching motivations, however found it very disappointing that he never could admit he was wrong about any of his transgressions
Dan Natleborg
Aug 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
As an IU alum, I can appreciate the basketball knowledge and priceless stories that fill this book.
Jim
Oct 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sports
A good look at Bob Knight and his thoughts and philosophy of basketball and life.
Ethan
Mar 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
one of the best books ever!
Jdindyfan
Jan 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Great basketball coach and very transparent - if you were ever surprised by what he said or done then you weren't paying attention.
Peter
Apr 07, 2008 rated it liked it
The greatest coach in college basketball history {to date}.
Amy
Dec 16, 2008 is currently reading it
As much as I love Bobby Knight, I have been reading this book, for years. I will finish it some day, but it's a lot about Knight's history with basketball -- growing up, his favorite coaches, etc.
Marie
Mar 16, 2009 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
We bought this for Jerry but I think Bobby Knight is interesting so I'm reading it, too.
Matt Coleman
May 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great book about a very interesting man.
Landon Chapman
Nov 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Growing up in a Hoosier household, this was incredibly enjoyable.
Andy Charlotte
  • Cloughie: Walking on Water. Brian Clough with John Sadler
  • Fowler: My Autobiography
  • Blue Blood: Duke-Carolina: Inside the Most Storied Rivalry in College Hoops
  • Hoop Dreams
  • Glory Road: My Story of the 1966 NCAA Basketball Championship and How One Team Triumphed Against the Odds and Changed America Forever
  • Why My Wife Thinks I'm an Idiot: The Life and Times of a Sportscaster Dad
  • Beyond Basketball: Coach K's Keywords for Success
1 follower
Bob Knight compiled one of the greatest records ever in college basketball: 5 National Coach of the Year awards, 3 NCAA championships, 11 Big Ten championships, an Olympics championship, and 902 victories overall, along with achieving a near-perfect graduation rate for his players. Knight is also a featured commentator for ESPN’s college basketball coverage, on camera at least once a week. His fir ...more