Start by marking “Secret Lives of the Civil War: What Your Teachers Never Told You about the War Between the States” as Want to Read:

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  73 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Legendary Heroes of U.S. History—As You’ve Never Seen Them Before!

Secret Lives of the Civil War features irreverent and uncensored profiles of men and women from the Union and the Confederacy—complete with hundreds of little-known and downright bizarre facts. You’ll discover that:

•  Mary Todd Lincoln claimed to receive valuable military strategies from ghosts in
Published May 1st 2007 by Quirk Books

To ask other readers questions about Secret Lives of the Civil War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secret Lives of the Civil War

Jeff
Apr 02, 2011 rated it liked it
It's my own fault I took forever to finish this book. There were so many facts and names and conjectures and repetitions of all that that in the end I finally just muscled through. It was a slog though, but I'm not entirely sure how much of that is the author's fault.
The book is laid out like a media guide for the civil war teams. Each character gets their assets, a short blurb about their favorite quote, and their astrological sign. The material is very in-depth, giving the characters history,
Ruth
Oct 18, 2007 rated it really liked it
I really like O'Brien's style - it's fun and interesting. I have a harder time following battles and tactics, so I enjoyed his other books a little more (Secret Lives of the U.S. Presidents and Secret Lives of the First Ladies), but this was still enjoyable and informative. It did help that that I have read Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin - names that wouldn't have meant much to me actually had a place in my mind (Stanton, Seward, etc.)
Michelina Matozzi-Sullivan
I found Cormac O'Brien's book a very interesting look into the key players of the Civil War. Read my entire review of the book at my blog: http://michelinam.wordpress.com/2013/...
Kristi Spinks
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Good book. Some funny stories about the people involved in the Civil War. Made me laugh several times.
Zane
Feb 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Like I said about its counterparts, this book by Cormac O'Brien are fun, organized, and extremely interesting. If you're a history buff, you need these for your home library.
Kari Seibert higgins