Start by marking “Kiki consegne a domicilio” as Want to Read:
Kiki consegne a domicilio

Kiki consegne a domicilio

(Kiki's Delivery Service #1)

Compiuti finalmente i suoi 13 anni, la streghetta Kiki parte per il suo apprendistato: dovrà stabilirsi in una città e affinare per un anno le sue tecniche di magia svolgendo un normale lavoro… da comune mortale! In compagnia di Jiji, un irresistibile gatto nero parlante, Kiki si stabilisce in una splendida città di mare, a casa di due panettieri, e inizia a occuparsi di c ...more
Paperback, Mangazine, 160 pages
Published 2002 by Kappa Edizioni (first published January 25th 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Kiki consegne a domicilio, please sign up.
Noa Hi! I was searching for this same information and Guilherme Semionato gave me an wide and wonderful answer on this. It will be released in the US in…moreHi! I was searching for this same information and Guilherme Semionato gave me an wide and wonderful answer on this. It will be released in the US in 2020 and this past 29th May it was released in France, too. I've tried to thank Guilherme (I haven't checked my Goodreads this last weeks due to 14h working shifts) and apparently I can't send him a message anymore, so if you see this, thank you for your help!! It was highly appreciated! :)(less)

jenn2.0
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was hard to track down but I'm glad I finally got it. It's a delightfully cute story-just like the movie. Too bad it's not more easily available in English.
Individualfrog
Dec 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I was living in Japan I decided to read a kid's book to help me practice reading at a level I could possibly undertake. Since I had seen and enjoyed the film, I decided on this one. (Better, I thought, than reading a translation of Harry Potter or something like that.) I thought, since I knew the story, I could better make guesses and use "context clues" (as they used to say in school) when confronted with unfamiliar vocabulary.

Little did I know that, like Miyazaki's godawful adaptation of
Harold Ogle
Apr 29, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children and parents who enjoy fantasy
Shelves: children, fantasy
There're two kinds of speculative fiction: the kind that imagines people who are essentially the same as people of today, thrust into very different circumstances, and the kind that imagines that the people themselves are as different as their circumstances. It's always interesting to read a translation from a foreign country, because you often (as with Kiki's Delivery Service) can't tell which of the two it is. Kiki is a teenaged girl who's never had any romantic interest. At thirteen, she is e ...more
Bonnie
Jul 09, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young readers, readers who have seen the movie
Shelves: fantasy-sf, reviewed
I thought this book was better in ways than the Studio Gibli movie. For one reason, she doesn't play mind games with boys in the book. In fact, she says in the book that she doesn't understand the girls that DO play mind games, so it's interesting how they portrayed her in the movie. I also like how the book has each chapter as a month that she's in the town. It worked well. There was a chapter in the book, which I read before I saw the movie, that I thought would be really good in the movie, bu ...more
Zoe Peszek
I am so glad I was able to find this book! My city's public library did not have it, but they were able to get it for me from another library in the area. I have actually seen the movie adaptation of this book. I did not realize that I had until after I read it. I thought the story sounded familiar, so I researched it. I enjoyed reading the book much more than the movie. There is more detail in the book, and I like being able to imagine it more in my head than see it on the screen.

This is a fun
Rebekah
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
"It had never occurred to Kiki that such bumbling, undignified flying out actually endear her to the people of the town."

How did I not know this existed? A must read for fans of the Ghibli movie. Adorable, quirky, and light.
Christy Broderick
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reminded me so much of the movie, as I watched it a ton growing up. Loved feeling the childhood feels again while reading this ☺ ...more
Peter Lanier
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A remarkably charming read. The book is certainly better than the movie, not to say the movie isn't fantastic. Jiji the cat is the best, pretty much. It reads at a third-grade level more or less, but I highly recommend to any adult looking to experience the wonder of childhood again. Now I'm off to watch the movie a second time!
Noramof
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wizardous, 2017, favorites

This is a tale of a cheeky young witch named Kiki who didn’t learn any type of witchcraft from her mother except for how to fly a broom; so she decides to use that ability and open a delivery business. It is a sweet little story of a witch and her black cat Jiji. It doesn’t have big plots and twists, it’s more like a diary for Kiki’s adventures and the things she encounters while delivering parcels for the people of the city of Koriko.

I’ve wanted to read this book since I learned that the anime
Margareta Dahlin
I have seen the story as anime film from the Ghibli Studios in Japan. I recommend that DVD warmly!!!! /--- Updated on March 6 2008> I have now read the book, in Swedish, but I think the translator missed the magic! But still I love the film they made from it! There's the magic! :-)
Primadonna
Aug 27, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
The story is actually too flat. No sharp conflicts or interesting detours. It's charming in its own way, I suppose, and of course, the illustration is superb.
Ren
Aug 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kiki's Delivery Service is better known in the US as a beloved Studio Ghibli film, but before that it was a children's book series first published in the 80's. Only the first novel made it to US shores in 2003, where the books have remained obscure and the sequels untranslated.

I don't want to reflect on the film adaptation too much, but it is worth noting that they are quite different beasts. The book is episodic, with new characters appearing every chapter or two, while old faces only make quic
L
Very cute book. Just like Howl's Moving Castle, the Ghibli film is way different and doesn't go into much detail as the book. It's been a while since I watched the movie but I can remember that the romance was a heavy aspect of it, whereas in the book it's more of a side plot.
The book is made up of various episodes of Kiki's year away from home. The small vignettes are sweet by themselves though there's not much of an overarching theme.

I'm interested to see if the sequels have deeper plot.

Als
Young At Heart Reader
Imagine my surprise when I discover that one of my favorite childhood films is based on a wonderful children's book. While the book and film and two separate things, both manage to be very entertaining and endearing.

The story here is more episodic, each new chapter telling about a different delivery. Honestly, I really didn't mind that it was different. Kiki is still the innocent, happy girl off on her journey to grow with her voice of reason cat, Jiji. It was nice to read something a little sim
Sarahjane
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
This book is seriously so cute. I grew up loving the Miyazaki film and after reading this, the movie excellently captures the whimsical, childish spirit of the book. It’s definitely a simple read and I wish I would have read it as a kid, as I’m sure it would have been a book I re-read constantly.
I’m re-watching the movie now, and I must say I love Tombo in the book much more. He’s much more shy and innocently obsessed with aeronautics. Of course it’s a Miyazaki so it’s stunning anyway.
ΛᄂΣXIƧ IVΛЯ
Read this cause of the Studio Ghibli movie! It’s quite different, but I love both! It’s pure adorableness~ ❤

Update: There is no English translation for the rest of the series

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! I’VE LOVED THIS MOVIE FOR YEARS, KIKI X TOMBO IS LIFE

AND THERE’S NO ENGLISH CONTINUATION?!

Excuse me while I go learn Japanese

Alison
Kiki's Delivery Service I've checked this out of my library a few times and finally read it in May. This is one case where I'd say the film definitely outshines the book. The book is enjoyable on its own, but if you can't find a copy I'd say you're not missing much. It's sweet but nothing life changing.
Bob
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book. Wish the sequels were available in English.
Emma
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked up a copy of the book because I love the Ghibli move, and was happy to find that it was just as charming.
Nonno Kato
After learning to control her broomstick, Kiki sets up a flying courier service in town. However Kiki slowly loses her magic abilities, and she must overcome her self-doubt to get her powers back.
Celene Fraticelli
Such a cute kids book.
Serena W. Sorrell
Did not finish (186/241 pages)

Oh, Majo no Takkyuubin. Why didn't I love you? I love your animated film adaptation, which lead me to believe I would love to delve deeper into the world of Kiki's Delivery Service. But, no, not this time. In this instance the movie is much better than the book. (I still remain optimistic as this is the first book of six)

First, what did I like? Jiji, the black cat, held my interest the most; occasionally Kiki, too, was interesting, but never for very long. Witch and
Aqua
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 日本語, fantasy, japan
Much more of a short story collection format than the movie, but I still really enjoyed this. There's no particular theme, just Kiki meeting different wacky characters of the town and making deliveries in each new chapter. The stories are sometimes laugh out loud funny. As this is my first novel I've ever finished in Japanese, I'm quite fond of it.

Differences from the movie if anyone is curious since I know this book is ridiculously hard to find in English:
---The movie climax where Tombo is stu
Quiet
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 日本人著者
Cute kids book from Japan that received a seemingly limited English publication, as this book is pretty expensive to get hold of off of sites like Ebay and Amazon. Fortunately found a copy at a library here in Japan, and so---

There's a lot that's really significant with this kids book, fitting to inspire both young and old alike. The story is that Kiki, a witch, is turning 13. As is custom, witches must leave home at this age and start their own life somewhere. Witches aren't lousy people or any
Mauri
I'm glad I read it and I'm glad I read it in Japanese, but there were moments when I thought longingly of how I could have read it in two hours if it were in English. This edition is intended for the middle elementary grades, so there were only about 600 different kanji used throughout. This made it kind of difficult to read, with the eye having to scan and pull long words like だいじょうぶ out of the text and assign them meaning (thus 大丈夫, which means okay, or alright).

Very different from the movie,
Jaimie
Nov 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Studio Ghibli adaptation of Kadono's classic children's story has always been one of my favourite films, so I was absolutely delighted to be able to finally read the novel. Unfortunately my Japanese is rusty, so I picked up the English translation, hoping that the charming story of a young with and her feline companion would retain its original personality. I'm sure that sme of the linguistic subtleties are lost in the translation, but Kadono's themes of independence and adventure (as well a ...more
Kassandra
Jun 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a cute book and the main reason I even read it was because of the studio ghibli film that Hayo Miazaki made. The book and film are different the movie follows the first few minutes of the film but that's where it seems to end. While in the film Kiki was trying to find herself in the book there really was no plot it was more episodic. In each chapter Kiki is making a new delivery and the movie not as much. Another difference is that in the film Gigi kiki's black cat stops talking to her ...more
Colt
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hunted for this book for months. I checked all the book sites I knew and regularly hit ebay. Searching by it's ISBN number was the easiest because I kept getting the movie books as a result otherwise.
Then I lucked out - a copy in an online used store that probably didn't know what they had. I snagged it for ten dollars plus shipping.
I love the movie and didn't know what to anticipate with the book. But it was everything I expected - a sweet little story about a young witch. There's really no c
E.J. Hagadorn
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As someone who saw the movie before reading the book, I found this to be a very rewarding read. It was fun to see the source material and observe how it was adapted.
On its own, the book is very good. I found Kiki to be a very believable character, and I enjoyed her adventures. Though the book is a bit episodic, together they show her going through an entire year of life, experiencing things like discovering boys and dealing with fear and adversity and tests of integrity. By the end of the story,
Rosemary Reeve
Feb 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Studio Ghibli fans and young readers.
Shelves: seen-the-movie
I was a little hesitant to read this book. Kiki's Delivery Service is my favorite of the Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli movies, and I didn't want that somehow skewed. Thankfully, the book ended up being a very pleasant little read that had the same simple charm as the movie. However, the two end up being rather different.

The beginning starts out very similarly, and it's fun and interesting to recognize which bits were picked up and used in the movie. Once Kiki lands in her new city the stories slightly
« previous 1 3 next »
Hops 2 Go 1 1 Jul 12, 2018 07:45AM
kiki: Random 10 5 Jan 31, 2014 08:08PM
Fun Books for Japanese Reading Practice 1 3 Dec 17, 2013 06:51PM

• Hari-Hari Bahagia di Bullerbyn
  • Ichiro
  • Il meraviglioso paese oltre la nebbia
  • The Witch's Guide to Cooking with Children
  • マギ 14 (Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic, #14)
  • 赤い指 [Akai yubi] (加賀恭一郎, #7)
  • New Penguin Parallel Text: Short Stories in Japanese
  • The Art of My Neighbor Totoro
  • Harry and the Wrinklies
  • La leggenda di Earthsea
  • Manxmouse
  • Little Nemo in Slumberland: So Many Splendid Sundays! (Volume 1)
Eiko Kadono (角野 栄子) is a Japanese author of children's literature, picture books, non-fiction and essays in Shōwa and Heisei period Japan. Kadono was born in Tokyo, and attended the Nihon Fukushi University in Aichi prefecture, followed by a degree in English literature from Waseda University. After graduation in 1960 at the age of 25, she emigrated to Brazil, where she spent two years. She wrote ...more

Kiki's Delivery Service (6 books)
  • Den Nya Häxkonsten (Kikis Expressbud #2)
  • 魔女の宅急便 その3 キキともうひとりの魔女 (Kiki's Delivery Service, #3)
  • 魔女の宅急便 その4 キキの恋 (Kiki's Delivery Service, #4)
  • 魔女の宅急便 その5 魔法のとまり木 (Kiki's Delivery Service, #5)
  • 魔女の宅急便 その6 それぞれの旅立ち [Sorezore No Tabidachi]