Start by marking “The Wind Eye” as Want to Read:
The Wind Eye

The Wind Eye

While vacationing on a remote part of the Northumberland coast, a troubled English family has a series of unsettling experiences traveling back in time and confronting the legendary power of St. Cuthbert.
Published December 4th 1992 by Macmillan Children's Books (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about The Wind Eye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wind Eye

Edoardo Albert
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book changed my life.

There. Five-word review. There aren't many books that do that, and this one did. Perhaps slightly unusual for a life-changing book, in that it's a children's book (and I read it as an adult), it's set in Northumberland (which I'd barely even heard of when I read it, let alone visited), and it's about an obscure 7th-century monk and a dysfunctional 1970s family. But there you go. Life-changing books come in all sorts of strange packages.

As to why it was so life-changing,
Pam Baddeley
A short novel aimed at older children and published around 1976 which is clearly referenced in the text. A dysfunctional family consisting of parents who are both widowed, the son of the mother and the two daughters of the father, arrive at a beach house in Northumberland which the father has just inherited from his uncle who drowned at sea in mysterious circumstances. En route they stop at Durham where the mother deliberately steps on the tomb slab of Saint Cuddy as he is known locally, or Cuth ...more
Michael Fitzgerald
Engaging and thought-provoking, this has some elements in common with A String in the Harp and The Owl Service.
Penny
Nov 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
This is a story of a family in the 1970's who go to stay in an old house on the coast off Lindisfarne. They have inherited it from an eccentric uncle. In the old shed they find a bedraggled old boat which they make sea worthy and that's where the adventures start as this boat time travels and is in fact a Viking boat.

The story is mostly about the story of the Viking raids on the monastery at Lindisfarne and also St Cuthbert who tries to stop them. There is a lot of folk tale and legend interwove
Linda
Sep 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 1970-s, 800-s, england, jf
An interesting take on legends, history, and religion. Definitely different.
Andrea Hickman Walker
Cat.
Nov 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a kids’ book I picked up because it was in the library’s catalog under St. Cuthbert as a subject. It has lots of legends about him indeed. In fact, it’s a sort of time-travel-meets-problem-novel book, but in the best possible way, from the 70s. Holds up pretty well, actually, since the problems of step-parenting and blended families haven’t gone away, and neither have obnoxious adults viewed through the eyes of powerless children. Very interesting family, although I don't see particularl ...more
Den

This wasn't as bad as I thought although I doubt it would appeal to many teens today.
Basically a family moves to an old, dark gloomy house left to them by an uncle who has disappeared. While exploring the house and grounds they discover a boat which they repair. This is when the fun begins because the boat enables them to travel to and fro in time and they travel to viking times to try to save some monks from being killed. Meanwhile St Cuthbert tries his hardest to stop them achieving their aim.
Alex White
Jan 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Although this style of writing is now considered a little dated I found it very satisfying. Westwood elegant and imaginative descriptions really added to the story to five it a sense of timeliness. Transporting me not only back to the 1970's but also to a foreign land and a foreign time. So rich and alive. Great narrative was also supported by rich and precise dialogue.
Barbara Gordon
May 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
I don't know how much I would have liked this book as a child. It's fairly unflinching about parental weakness and inadequacy. Even the magic aspects are fairly gritty. It would have got me thinking, at least.
There's a strong sense of place and setting - I finished the book feeling rather windblown and sea-sprayed.
Pat Griffith
Apr 02, 2017
Giuseppe De Chiara
Feb 13, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Cannot find edition of book on Goodreads 5 21 Jun 12, 2019 01:47PM
Librarian Note: There is more than one author by this name in the Goodreads database.

Robert Westall was born in North Shields, Northumberland, England in 1929.

His first published book The Machine Gunners (1975) which won him the Carnegie Medal is set in World War Two when a group of children living on Tyneside retrieve a machine-gun from a crashed German aircraft. He won the Carnegie Medal again i