Start by marking “Richard Dawkins: How a Scientist Changed the Way We Think” as Want to Read:
Richard Dawkins: How a Scientist Changed the Way We Think

Richard Dawkins: How a Scientist Changed the Way We Think

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  387 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
With the publication of the international bestseller The Selfish Gene some thirty years ago, Richard Dawkins powerfully captured a newly emerging way of understanding evolution—a gene's eye view. Dawkins went on to publish five more bestselling books, including The Blind Watchmaker and Unweaving the Rainbow. He is one of the most high profile public intellectuals today and ...more
Published May 17th 2007 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Richard Dawkins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Richard Dawkins

شريف عرفة
الكتاب عبارة عن مقالات لأناس يمدحون دوكينز دون تقديم أفكاره ذاتها بشكل متعمق.. لو اردت ان تقرأ له فاقرأ صانع الساعات الأعمى واعمل عقلك في الحجج الذي يسوقها كتدريب ذهني جيد فالرجل من رواد الإلحاد في العالم ومن اهم علماء البيولوجيا
Steven Williams
Jan 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Overall, the book was pretty good, but uneven, like a good many anthology, although the topic itself is very good, like Richard Dawkins and his work. There is a large difference between Dawkins' writing and most of those that have contributed to this volume. On a whole it is others who are writing and not Dawkins himself.

My two favorite chapters was An Eye on the Core about sociobiology linking Dawkins and E. O. Wilson and Every Indication of Inadvertent Solicitude on Dawkins' writing itself, th
Lee
Mar 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't not like this, considering that is a collection of essays by many of my all-time favorite authors, scientists, and scholars, writing about what is IMO the most important idea anyone ever had (Darwinism), and how profoundly Dawkins deepened our understanding of it.

Note: This is a collection of essays (by accomplished scholars... Some of whom are world-famous best-selling authors themselves). So if you're expecting something different, I suppose you could be disappointed, as some review
Khalil
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science, biology
No wonder that professor Dawkins gained the world's top thinker poll this year , and that his masterpiece takes a place between top 25 greatest science books, as one of the essays noted here , Richard The Golden Pen , he is really so .
I still remember the situation very clearly , The Selfish Gene left me completely shocked for almost a week , it was ( and still ) the greatest science book I have ever read .
Nola
Feb 19, 2009 rated it it was ok
I was really disappointed in this book, which may be my fault. I was expecting an autobiography of Richard Dawkins, whose writing I admire. I was looking forward to a book from which I could learn more about the man, in language I could understand. Instead, this is a collection of essays about Dawkin's work, some of which were somewhat interesting and most of which were way over my head.
Ronald
Apr 27, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am an aficionado of Professor Richard Dawkins, the great evolutionary biologist, ethologist, humanist, prolific author and lecturer. And I say that he deserves a better biography than this.

Hmmm... with all of those 4 stars in the ratings of my fellow readers, I'll have to re-read this book. I may have been too hasty in giving it only a 2 star rating. Or, more likely, I've confused it with some other biographical work about Professor Dawkins.
Leanne
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who has read The Selfish Gene
I picked this up thinking it was a biography, but it's really a set of essays about the impact of The Selfish Gene (and to a lesser extent The Extended Phenotype) on the scientific community, our culture, philosophy, etc. If you've read The Selfish Gene then this one is also worth a look, it describes the paradigm shift that The Selfish Gene requires of readers very well and basically looks at the book from every possible angle.
Dariosk
Oct 01, 2013 rated it liked it
this book will appeal to very few people.
it's just a collection of "how Dawkins changed my life" recollections.
Osama Abdel Qader
كتاب جيد في التعريف بريتشارد دوكينز
لكنه لا يخلو من املال خصوصا في النصف الثاني منه
Rossdavidh
Aug 10, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: black
Ok, first off, let me just say I hate the title of this book. Richard Dawkins is a cool and interesting writer, but he did not change the way I think. Setting that aside, though, he does provide lots of interesting food for thought, and this is a book with essays by a few dozen other cool thinkers. It's kind of what internet chat room conversations almost never are, but should be.

The book is composed of about 25 essays by various people about Richard Dawkins' ideas, especially those in his book
Nicolai
Jul 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Richards Writings on evolution are amazing because they are detailed, thoughtful and well argued and because

1. the ideas make sense
2. he has an uncommon gift for phrase making (every indication of inadvertent solicitude, the selfish gene).
3. he reveals his personality in his writings
4. he tells stories (the quest may be difficult, but the reader is never lost).

he has a dim view of the intellectual and moral merits of religion.

cultural traits evolve by a process of natural selection in which the
Xaverius
Sep 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Solo merecerá la pena a los muy interesados (más o menos como yo, lo bastante para leer esto pero no lo bastante como para abrir su autobiografía). Algunas partes de científicos explicando cómo las contribuciones de Dawkins les ayudaron en su investigación son interesantes por relatarte cosas de las polémicas de la sociobiología o como contraejemplo claro a quien dice que el enfoque del gen egoísta es infalsable o que no ha contribuido a entender la evolución(refutado de sobras solo con lo de aq ...more
Kerszi
Oct 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Zbiór reporterzy chwalących dokonania Richarda Dawkinsa. W sumie liczyłem na więcej krytyki, a było praktycznie samo zachwalanie. Nawet głosy antyfalne były bardzo przychylne. Z książki się dowiedziałem jakich przyjaciół i fanów ma Dawkins, bo zbytnio nowych rzeczy to nie, ale i tak warto przeczytać. Książka w Polsce ukazała się w 2008 roku, dwa lata po edycji w Anglii i trzydzieści lat po samolubnym genie. Na obecny czas (2015 rok( bardzo ciężko ją dostać, w wersji elektronicznej nie ma, ale wy ...more
Karima Hussein
الكتاب عبارة عن أن كل عالم عارف ريتشارد دوكينز بيقول رأيه ف ريتشارد دوكينز وبيمدح فيه زائد أنه بيأيد كلامه ف أنكار وجود ربنا
والكتاب مينفعش تستدل بيه على كلام دوكينز أو على فكره

وعامة ريشتارد دوكينز ملحد أه بس ملحد بيستهبل وكلامه ف مناظراته بيثبت وجود أله للكون
Hollis
Jan 18, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: essays
A fascinating collection of essays that summarises Dawkins' influence on a wide range of disciplines outside of biology: philosophy, psychology, sociology, computer science and popular science in general. Essential reading for Dawkins fans.
Eugéne
Oct 06, 2013 rated it did not like it
We think in ways other than empirical verification, i.e. a priori analytical verification, or poetic sympathetic convergence, both of which are more important to the 'way we live' than is 'science'.
Amoole
Aug 30, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
مجموعه من الفصول تصف أراء مجموعه من الاشخاص من مختلف التخصصات تصف كيف اثر دوكينز بهم ورأيهم بمؤلفاته وافلامة الوثائقيه
Jehni
Jan 08, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: science
Going to be a good read for my favourite personal hero (next to Douglas Adams!)
Pat
Jun 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Different perspective on Dawkins' contributions to science. Very good.
Justin Woody
Nov 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great book about a very interesting man. After reading many of his books it was great to see how he ended up where he did. Looking forward to the second book
Tony
Jan 24, 2017
V
Jul 28, 2015
Jacob Yin
rated it did not like it
Mar 10, 2017
Monado
Sep 23, 2012
  • The Oxford Book of Modern Science Writing
  • Eight Little Piggies: Reflections in Natural History
  • Charles Darwin: The Power of Place
  • Moral Minds: How Nature Designed Our Universal Sense of Right and Wrong
  • Dawkins vs Gould: Survival of the Fittest
  • The Medea Hypothesis: Is Life on Earth Ultimately Self-Destructive?
  • The Adapted Mind: Evolutionary Psychology and the Generation of Culture
  • Science Friction: Where the Known Meets the Unknown
  • Darwin's Ghost: The Origin of Species Updated
  • Great Physicists: The Life and Times of Leading Physicists from Galileo to Hawking
  • Introducing Stephen Hawking

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99