Start by marking “Cuore” as Want to Read:
Cuore

Cuore

Published October 2006 by Adamant Media Corporation (first published 1886)

Start your review of Cuore
Tom LA
Jan 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
"Cuore" means "Heart" in Italian. This "classic" book by Edmondo De Amicis describes the life of an Italian school class a few years before 1900, as seen through the eyes of a boy, Enrico.

Given that the book was published in 1886, and was later utilized for political propaganda by many governments, not only in Italy, there are some fascinating aspects to the book's history. But before touching on that, I'd like to say this is at its core a very poetic, touching little book. So despite all the
Cristina
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was read to me when I was a child. The person who read it to me was my first teacher. At that time, I didnt quite understand the meaning of the book, but now, after reading it myself, after so many years, Im so thankful to my teacher for initiating me into the meaning of this book, into the meaning of kindness.
This book is pure gold. Every child should read this book. Or, better said, someone should read this book to all children. This book thought me again the meaning of being good.
AP
Nov 28, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was widely read in translation when I was growing up in Taiwan. I re-read it during summer 2007 both in the Chinese and English translations, and I'm still moved by the life lessons in this simple diary of a schoolboy attending 3rd and 4th grade in an Italian town. His family, friends, and teachers teach him compassion, kindness, and humility by example and through thoughtful discussions and letters. This book made me wonder whether we were neglecting the moral and emotional education ...more
Maciek
Mar 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
I loved "Heart" when I was a kid. I've read it several times...the title is very appropriate, as it touched my heart during every reading.
Dorottya
Sep 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
I don't know where to start writing my thoughts about this book. I have conflicted emotions.

First of all, it's clear that the writing is amazing: it is easily accessible for kids, but not dumbed down, which is hard to find in a kid's book, especially nowadays. It really is authentic, you really feel as if these words are taken from an 8-year-old.

It also is really moving and touching. It's heart-wrenching to see how many things changed since the setting of this book. How kids and their parents
Sam Schulman
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this because Ernst Gellner said he read it as a boy in the Carpathians - it's a very Resorgimento schoolboy's book about a gentleman's son who goes to public primary school in the 1880s with all the town boys, before going their separate ways, the hero to the Lyceum, the other boys to the manual training schools. It's full of heart - sentimental stories about schoolboy heroes, poor boys losing their mothers, parental affection in Italy, bullies, snobs, dandies, villains, a visit to the ...more
Akemi G.
Nov 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-fiction
Because I reviewed some of my childhood favorites, GR has been suggesting similar books, and this is one of them. I read this in Japanese, and I remember I loved the many inner stories, although the overall tone was a bit preachy.

The Japanese translation's title was the phonetic equivalent of the Italian original, so I know this is the book I read. However, the English translation and its description is -- quite misleading and unappealing. If the poor translation is the main reason why this
Farseer
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
The remarkable Italian novel Cuore (that's the Italian word for "Heart") was published in 1886, shortly after the Italian unification, and it soon achieved enormous popularity in Italy and abroad and became a classic of childrens literature. In less than three months 41 editions were needed in Italy and it was immediately translated to 18 languages and published throughout Europe. By 1923 it had been translated all over the world and had surpassed the at the time extraordinary figure of a ...more
Matkie
Jan 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: late XIXth century aesthetic and history lovers
I found this little gem in my mother's closet when I was around 10. It's not a book for everyone. I'm sure a lot of people find it boring and hard to identify with, since the background and the message are pretty clear: late nineteenth century in Italy, a new nation that still lacks a sense of unity. What the country needs is a new generation raised with a strong nationalistic feeling, and this is book is a response to this issue. Enrico(whose name I actually don't remember reading in the book ...more
Lenny Husen
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars.
This is a book published originally in Italian in 1886--a father wrote the book based on his son's School Journal of the year 1880-1881 when the son was in Fourth Grade (age 11-12).
Some of it seems to be fictionalized slightly in order to improve the cohesiveness of the narrative and to promote the father's agenda which was apparently to promote himself as being patriotic and noble while simulaneously micromanaging his son.
What I didn't like: the father was hypercritical of his son and
Wai Yip Tung
Jun 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have first read Edmondo De Amicis' Cuore as a boy. Now I'm much older when I pick up this classics 19th century work for another time. It is still the same inspiring stories of courage, righteousness, gratitude, love and generosity. Now that I have learned much about positive psychology I can identify these pro-social behavior readily. The stories are so overflow with positive emotions that I appreciate them even more.

The prominent feature in Cuore is the strong relationship among people. The
Lee Kokle
Aug 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book was actually read to me for the first time. My brother, who is a passionate reader, had a tradition of reading me books before sleep and this was one of them. At that time I did not understand it much, because although this is one of the children's book collection called "Sprīdīša bibliotēka", it is actually a book good for teenagers and adults.

De Amicis touches very important feeling concerning families and portrays Italy at the time of unification. He portrays different social
Yiming li
"the heart of a boy", compared to becomes the love many things, is really this also is not only these. I thought that the love will be anything will not have the explicit answer, but I knew that the love will not have the limit, slightly to schoolmate's between friendly conversation, teacher to student's encouragement, the parents to child meticulous showing loving concern, a people's smile which will meet by chance ......Big enough to contributes the marrow, gives blood, helps the Project Hope ...more
Lorenzo Berardi
Aug 29, 2007 rated it did not like it
Shelves: italian
I confess that when I was a child I was fascinated by this book. At that time I wasn't able to catch its unbearable paternalism, its overwhelming patriotism, its examples of juvenile heroism, its didactical meanings.

If you're looking for some of these aspects or if you want to have a sweetened and moving fresco of Italian primary school just a few years after national unity in 19th century Cuore is the book you should read.

Joana Doko
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read this book a few years ago, in that time I was going through some bad things. This book was my saviour, my escape from the reality. I think that every kid should read this book.
Isabella Campollo
Reviewed by: Isabella Campollo

I gave this book 5 stars because I believe it is a very emotional book that everyone can relate to, no matter your age, nationality, or gender.

How does this book relate to my hero's journey?
The book is about Enrique's life. He is a very sensitive kid who gets exposed to a lot of things during his years in school. The book is written as if it was a diary, so you really get to explore Enrique's feeling from his perspective as if it was you.

I believe everybody should
Nakamoto Yukiko
This is a wonderful book. It includes many meaningful stories about simple things in real life. It gave me many valuable lessons and made me think about everything around and fulled my heart with love. Love comes from everywhere, even the smallest thing in the world or simply a thank or an sincere apology. We often forget the value of the surroundings, especially the quality of those who are considered doing normal work. The book reminds me that I should appreciate what I have and sympathize for ...more
Linh
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My childhood bed time stories. It is great that you read the book again once in a while to be reminded about kindness and bravery. Never forget who you have always wanted to become when you grow up.
Michelle
Oct 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heart, touches many different issues based in the time it took place in regards to poverty, crime and education. You get to see the Italian life in the 1900s through the perspective of a young fourth grade boy named Enrico.

You follow Enrico as he learns different life lessons and begins to understand and adopt morals that led him to become one of the most loved characters Ive ever had the pleasure reading about. The innocence that Enrico carries with him really pulls you in to the book and
Estera Mihăilă
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This a -i've.read.it.quite.some.times.and.it.won't.stop.here- kind of book. And i will like it more and more based on a deeper understanding of the moral values that the novel centers on. Written in the form of a child's diary, it's simple in its storytelling and structure, yet the stories themselves and the lessons behind them are so powerful.
It snatched some tears, some laughs and some yelling justly and indisputable.

This is truly a get together of short stories that do yo good.
Huong Ly
Apr 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-for-my-kid
A deeply touching book for all the children even adults. This reminds me the intrinsic value of people, which was misunderstood before when I thought this world is full of lies. No matter what happen, be kind, be strong and don't let dusts make you fool. In case having children, I would encourage them to read this book.
Mayo Hyuga
May 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was the first book I read. Its a REALLY old novel, but beautiful. I found this book when I was 11 years old in a box with alot of books. My mom told me that book was a gift of her grandma. Anyways, my mom never read it. I still want to read it again, its so beautiful... just one thing, I NEED to find that box again -.- ...more
sandy
Nov 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this as a child translated in Chinese, and now I read it as an adult translated to English. It still holds the magic it did over 25 years ago. A much more compelling way of teaching morals than fables, it really touches the heart by illustrating everyday life. This might be a present I give regularly to parents with young children in the future.
Emanuela
Apr 05, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-italian
Although it is considered a masterpiece of Italian literature, the reading of this book saddens to no end. You come to like more the characters in the fictional stories told through the book than the real protagonists of the novel.
However, it gives a good idea of how poor Italians lived at the beginning of the 20th century
Attila
Apr 03, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood, classics
Cuore or Heart is the journal of 9 year old Enrico in 19th century Italy. It relates various adventures in and out of school, teaching moral lessons about human nature, friendship, patriotism, self-sacrifice. Allegedly written for political propaganda, nevertheless it is an engaging read about childhood joys and innocence.
Nicoleta Bucșă
Jul 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
It was one of my first books, but I think it was the first that almost made my cry. It was touching and made me appreciate what I had. I was so sorry for the poor kid and, even though it was just a story, I wanted so badly to help him.
This book made me think about a lot of things as a child and I think somehow it changed me for the better.
Dylan
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book! It was a very different reading experience from most books, yet I enjoyed it. This is the diary of a boy in his third year of school in Italy sometime in the early 20th century or late 19th century.
Gio
Oct 01, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of my favourite childhood books. The stories are sad and moving and give a great idea of how Italian people were living in the late 19th century. However, as I grew older I found it a bit too patriotic and paternalistic, but still a great read.
Elias Gutierrez
Very episodic. Even though it has great values behind, the ideal of loyalty and good live is totally deprived of God or any consideration of the nature of man and the supernatural. It is only based in philanthropic feelings of doing good and loving one's nation.
Barbara
Beautifully written ... simple and sweet ...
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Nobody's Boy
  • Poveşti. Povestiri. Amintiri
  • Trên Đường Băng
  • Piccole donne
  • Dế Mèn Phiêu Lưu Ký (Diary of a Cricket)
  • I Promessi Sposi (1827)
  • Tôi Là Bêtô
  • Cà Phê Cùng Tony
  • Dumbrava minunată
  • Cho Tôi Xin Một Vé Đi Tuổi Thơ
  • The Story of a Seagull and the Cat Who Taught Her to Fly
  • Din lumea celor care nu cuvântă
  • Tuổi Trẻ Đáng Giá Bao Nhiêu
  • Amintiri din copilărie
  • Recreaţia Mare
  • Fram, ursul polar
  • Cô Gái Đến Từ Hôm Qua
  • Đảo Mộng Mơ
Edmondo de Amicis was an Italian novelist, journalist, poet and short-story writer. His best-known book is the children's novel Heart.