Start by marking “In the Small, Small Pond” as Want to Read:
In the Small, Small Pond

In the Small, Small Pond

(Owlet Book)

It's Springtime and a bright green frog leaps out of the tall, tall grass and lands in a small, small pond. Splash! Tadpoles and minnows scatter. Summer passes, turtles drowse in the sun and dragonflies hover in the air above. Fall arrives as ducks paddle by and the colors change. Finally, snow falls. The little frog burrows deep into the pond and waits for spring to come ...more
Published October 15th 1998 by Henry Holt & Company (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about In the Small, Small Pond, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Small, Small Pond

Manybooks
Unembellished, but massively verbally engaging, the onomatopoeic pond sounds of Denise Fleming's simple but lyrical verses are not only delightfully entertaining (and a joy to pronounce out loud by both children and likely even adults reading In the Small, Small Pond with and to children), they also descriptively and colourfully depict and present basic pond life and diverse animal behaviours (all the while improving vocabulary and in particular promoting more descriptive verb choices). And whil ...more
Latise
This is a fun book that teaches students about their environment and animals that are found inside of a pond. This book could also be used in a cross-curricular activity in teaching rhyming words. I would place this book in a variety of learning centers including science and reading.
Sabrina
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Author and Illustrator:
In the book "In the Small, Small Pond" the aothor used a unique perspective from a frog point of view and the pictures are colorful and tell a story of their own.
Personal Response to the Book:
This is a great to book to teach rhyme. There are lots of sound words that kids could read them together with teachers.
This book als
Luann
Nov 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Very colorful illustrations! I like them a lot. Young readers would enjoy looking for the frog in each picture. This reminds me of another Caldecott Honor, Song of the Water Boatman and Other Pond Poems by Joyce Sidman, only for much younger readers.
Agnė
A simple, rhythmic, and bright-colored celebration of a pond life through the seasons:
Christabelle
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Picked up this for summer reading with my littles. They love it! It’s rather short, but the lively pictures, the frog that follows every page, and words that twist along the page make it delightful for my preschool bunch!
Shawn Deal
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
A nice little story about animals that live in a small pond.
Katie Fitzgerald
What appears at first glance as a very simple picture book, is actually more sophisticated than meets the eye. In the very first spread, a child watches a frog leap into a pond. The reader is drawn to the frog based on the gaze and expression of the child figure. From there, we can follow the frog from page to page as we meet each form of wildlife that lives in or near the pond, and experience the cycle of the four seasons, ending in Winter, when the frog settles into hibernation. My favorite il ...more
Dolly
Jul 18, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a wonderful book to read aloud. The illustrations are bright, blotchy and bold while the narrative is simple, yet helps to build vocabulary.

The alliteration and rhyme make it fun to read aloud. Our girls enjoyed this book, taking turns reading each page. We've read this one a couple of times.

This book was selected as one of the books for the November 2016- Caldecott Honor discussion at the Picture-Book Club in the Children's Books Group here at Goodreads.
Linda Lipko
The illustrations lead the way to an action packed, in-depth adventure of life in a small seemingly static pond. This is another caldecott honor book worthy of the accolades.

Packed with images of jumping frogs, wiggling tadpoles, honking, waddling geese, dragon flies who beat their wings rapidly, while the turtles sleep and the herons quickly snap their beaks into the water hoping to have a lunch of frog meat.

The images are different than most in that they seem bold and almost brash. The artist
Betty Ortega
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Caldecott honor
* Book Summary
This books all the different types of creatures that live in a pond and what they do.

*Awards

When learning about Ecology

*Student Who Might Benefit From Reading
All students

* Small Group Use
I would ask students to analyze all the living things in the pond

* Whole Class Use
I would use this book as an introduction to an Ecology unit

*Related Book In Genre
Song of the Water Boatman
Dena (Batch of Books)
Oct 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
I am quickly becoming a Denise Fleming fan. Just like in Pumpkin Eye, In the Small Small Pond is more of an expression of experience and feeling rather than a play by play story.

Fleming has a unique style to both her writing and her illustrations. The use of simple, rhyming prose in her books is effective and engaging. This is a fantastic book to read aloud to toddlers and small children. The illustrations are bright and stylized, creating a unique texture to the story.

Books for Kids
SamZ
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: caldecott
1994 Caldecott Honor - Favorite Illustration: The dragonfly page.
A fun little book that uses rhyme and onomatopoeia words to tell about the different animals that live in a small pond. The illustrations aren't my favorite, but they do fit with the tone of the book. I especially love that the frog is in each picture, giving young children something 'extra' to look for.
Jenny
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love the use of language and rhyme in this simple picture book about animals in a small pond. The illustrations are bright and colorful. I love the illustration of the raccoon and I like the heron and the turtles.
Lindsey Bishop
Very few words. Shows animals and their sounds.
Samantha
May 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vibrant and rhythmic text dances through papercut illustrations of a season on the pond. Great read aloud. Must read/see.
Sabrina Parsons
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Introduction
Denise Fleming is an American Author who primarily writes for young children and she is the writer and illustrator of the book In the Small, Small Pond. This book is a sequel to another book by Denise Fleming called In the Tall, Tall Grass. This book uses clever rhyming schemes and similar words that allow for a fun but focused experience. The illustrations are done in an unusual and unique way, that draw the reader in. In the Small, Small Pond was published in 1994 and it was a Cald
Delaney Simpson
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: caldecott-books
It is clear that Denise Fleming put a lot of thought into the juxtaposition of the words and the illustrations of "In the Small, Small Pond". Each page has 2 words on it with an illustration that fills the whole page. The book describes what happens in a pond. The words describe actions of each animal found in this pond. Each page has a sense of rhythm to it, with words that rhyme, alliterate, or just sound silly together. Having rhythm makes the book more enjoyable to read with such a little am ...more
Sydney Chassion
Nov 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-31-40
Summary:
This book is a verbally engaging about a pond and it's inhabitants. Denise Fleming used descriptive, colorful words and sounds to depict the basic life pf a pond. She describes diverse animal behaviors with interesting verb choices, and her direct word choice provides a bright and lively insight to the world of this little ecosystem.

Evaluation:
This wasn't my absolute favorite book, but I would recommend it for in-class and at home use as a tool to work on reading fluency and phonologica
China Harris
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
In the Small, Small Pond explains what one would find in the environment that is around and beneath a pond. An unnamed boy character starts off by looking around the small pond and discovers many animals! There are so many creatures that live around a pond. There are ducks, frogs, turtles, fish and more!

The illustrations look like cut paper. They are very interactive. The colors incorporate many simutaneous color contrasts with high to mid tone saturations. There are a significant amount of coo
Hannah Parks
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
In this book, Denise Fleming uses onomatopoeia, rhyming, rhythm, and vocabulary to paint a picture of the activities of the diverse set of animals in a small pond. Frogs splish and splash, herons plunge, and minnows scatter.

Although the illustrations are slightly vague and the rhyme scheme can be a bit awkward at times, "In the Small, Small Pond," is a great example of an ecosystem. In the classroom, this book could be accompanied by a lesson on ecosystems and a trip to a real pond, where stude
Tiffany Kelly
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: award-winning
A cute frog takes the reader on a journey through the pond. The frog "jumps" from page to page showing the reader what goes on in the pond during different seasons. The amazing thing about this book is that the entire book is one sentence.

This is a colorful and fun book to read to children. I love all of the tier two words within the text. The students will learn about pond life and parts of speech in an engaging way.

Other books to read that connect with In the Small, Small Pond:
In the Tall, Tal
Aravis Wheaton
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Bright illustrations created through pouring colored cotton pulp through hand-cut stencils lead children on the seasonal journey of a small pond. Dragonflies, tadpoles, frogs, and other creatures act in their environment. Fleming uses rhyme, precise word choice, and much figurative language to create a fun, rhythmic chant that almost makes you want to dance. Presentation of words on page mimic their meaning in many instances.

This book lends itself quite wonderfully to a science lesson.
Arielle Hitch
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: award-winners
This Caldecott Honor book introduces 2-4 year olds to the basic habits of common North American wildlife and to the characteristics of the changing seasons and even some fun verbs. The animals and insects that live on and in a freshwater pond explore through the seasons of the year. Fish, frogs and fowl go first into the greens and yellows of spring and summer, then on through fiery autumn reds and oranges and, finally, browns and icy whites as winter sets in. Fleming's color-saturated handmade ...more
Kristen
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
In the Small, Small Pond is a colorful picture book that gives readers a frog's-eye-view of how seasons change in a pond. The text on each page is on average only four words that follow a rhyming pattern, like "splitter, splatter, minnows scatter". The author, Denise Fleming, is also the book's illustrator, and she created the illustrations by pouring colored cotton pulp through hand-cut stencils. The result is images that remind readers of an Eric Carle book. This is a very quick read, and I th ...more
Rebekah
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: libs-642
This is a super cute children's book perfect for science! The book goes through various animals, the sounds they make and use descriptive adjectives to talk about all of the animals in the pond. The tadpiles, geese, turtles, dragonflies, minnows and more! The best part is the end when the pond sleeos, the cold sets in and everyone goes to bed. It is also beautifully illustrated with vivid and bright pictures that will keep a child interested.
Alicia Tavernier
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book that holds the Caldecott honor award, is a pretty decent book. This book also shows nature in a friendly way and introduces young readers to the ecosystem of a pond that many may have not experienced before. This book also is a starter for rhyming. I believe children would find this book very silly and experience enjoyment of reading it out loud in class. I gave this book four stars out of five stars because of the simplicity of the book, as well as how it introduces rhyming.
Luisa Knight
Ages: 2 - 5

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) which enable you to clean up your book before reading it! Visit my website: The Book Radar.
Gabrielle
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The illustrations are the first thing I noticed in this book! They are full of color! This story uses some rhyming words such as wiggle and jiggle! I really like how the words on the pages aren't lined up like in most books. I like how they are tilted and slanted. This would be a really cool book to show younger children! They would like all of the colors and animals!
Maria Rowe
• 1994 Caldecott Honor Book •

Really cute rhyming book. I enjoyed looking for the frog in every illustration. I really like the way the illustrations were made, and I think they're neat to look at with the process in mind.

Materials used: illustrations created by pouring colored cotton pulp through hand-cut stencils resulting in handmade paper
Typeface used: unlisted
  • Truck
  • Have You Seen My Duckling?
  • Song of the Water Boatman and Other Pond Poems
  • Jambo Means Hello: Swahili Alphabet Book
  • The Moon Jumpers
  • Alphabatics
  • Hondo & Fabian
Denise Fleming has written and illustrated many children’s picture books, including In the Tall, Tall Grass, Shout! Shout It Out!, and Sleepy, Oh So Sleepy. She won a Caldecott Honor for In the Small, Small Pond. Denise creates her colorful illustrations by pouring colored paper pulp through hand-cut stencils. She lives in Toledo, Ohio.

Owlet Book (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Sam, Bangs & Moonshine
  • Always Room for One More
  • Where Once There Was a Wood
  • Cactus Hotel
  • Unlovable
  • Dumpy La Rue
  • That's Good! That's Bad!
  • Outrageous Acts and Everyday Rebellions