Start by marking “Fire Your Boss” as Want to Read:

And Hire Yourself.

Impossible? Not according to nationally bestselling author Stephen M. Pollan. As he says in this new and empowering book, "You don't have to accept your current work situation. You can be in control of your job and your stream of income, so you're never again subject to the whims, prejudices, moods, or circumstances of your so-called boss."

I
Published May 11th 2004 by William Morrow (first published May 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Fire Your Boss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fire Your Boss

Marieke
Apr 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book holds up surprisingly well after ten years. A quick skim, this book is more for gen X and above. It forces you to answer some tough questions like "Am I going to get fired?" and gives tips on how to make yourself indispensable to your boss. No huge insights but a good refresher.
Malin Friess
Jan 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Another book from Stephen Pollan (Die Broke) Life Coach. He advocates for the following:

-Start looking for your next job as soon as you find your current job (Employers are not loyal--why should you be loyal to them?)
-It still goes back to who you know, when getting a job--worry less about the perfect Resume and more about meeting people through social clubs
-Figure out what makes your Boss Happy--and do it. That is your job description.
-Don't be afraid to tell an employer you are looking or have
Caroline Collins
Helpful and different look at jobs and careers
Richard Conley
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book brings order to the chaos of work. After reading this book I had a totally different attitude going to work everyday. Rather than dreading work, I realized what I should expect from work. Once you have that in order, then things become much clearer. READ THIS BOOK!!!
Fullfaun
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
amazing. give this to all high schoolers!!!!
Mahmoud
May 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Well, the content is not as offensive as the title may imply. Basically it addresses the lifelong problem of employees who believe that their boss and their role at work is what defines who they are as a person and the type of pressure this puts on the employee's personal life causing life-work imbalance. It also addresses the dilemma of seeking a "career" by stating the hardcore fact that in today's dynamic world there is no "career". The book answers many of these concerns by giving one valuab ...more
Matt
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Surprisingly more practical now than when it was written more than 10 years ago. The title makes it sounds like a book about entrepreneurship, but it also has helpful suggestions for people that are employed. Change, don't grow was great advice I put to work immediately. Going to a different division for my resume. Puts you in the drivers seat of your own career. If you follow the advice your boss will love you, just don't let them see you reading it.
Daniel Kuhlman
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book has really changed my perception of what it is to work. His discussion about why people work and that it all boils down to a few reasons, really resonated with me. All through the book I kept thinking about it. I finally came up with the 'why I work' answer. I am now applying it to my life and the understanding is helping to shape my next career/job path. Thanks Stephen.
Brian Lane
Jul 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
If you have this on your book shelf at work, you will end up giving it to a co-worker and they will hopefully pass it along. My wife and I have given away our copies. It's good to pick them up used when you see them, so you will have one to pay forward.
Priya
Jul 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
questions in this books are really a eye opener. it makes us to find our purpose , passion and whre we want to be.
Matt
Dec 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Incredibly jaded, but has some great ideas. The 6 types of bosses is worth the price of admission on it's own.
Bassel
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
its a different view of how get a new job and how to look at your career,
Lori Grant
Mar 29, 2013 rated it liked it
An optional-read book on how to have passion in work.
Jack Ross
Sep 17, 2015
Prince Alexander
Apr 21, 2013
Susanne
rated it did not like it
Oct 02, 2016
Jul 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Mental Traps: The Overthinker's Guide to a Happier Life
  • Your Best Life Now for Moms
  • My So-Called Freelance Life: How to Survive and Thrive as a Creative Professional for Hire
  • In Fashion: From Runway to Retail, Everything You Need to Know to Break Into the Fashion Industry
  • The Cure for Anything Is Salt Water: How I Threw My Life Overboard and Found Happiness at Sea
  • Your Money: The Missing Manual
  • Find Your Focus Zone: An Effective New Plan to Defeat Distraction and Overload
  • Mooch
  • inGenius: A Crash Course on Creativity
  • Fatal Risk: A Cautionary Tale of AIG's Corporate Suicide
  • Dead Girl Dancing (Dead Girl, #2)
  • NLP: The New Technology of Achievement
  • Writer for Hire, 101 Secrets to Freelance Success
  • Gods at War: Shotgun Takeovers, Government by Deal, and the Private Equity Implosion
  • Google+ for Business: How Google's Social Network Changes Everything