Start by marking “The Personal Shopper (Annie Valentine #1)” as Want to Read:
The Personal Shopper (Annie Valentine #1)

The Personal Shopper

(Annie Valentine #1)

Meet Annie Valentine: stylish, savvy, multi-tasker extraordinaire.

As a personal shopper in a swanky London fashion store, Annie can re-style and re-invent her clients from head to toe. In fact, this super-skilled dresser can be relied on to solve everyone's problems . . . except her own.

Although she's a busy single mum to stroppy teen Lana and painf
Published July 2nd 2007 by Corgi Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Personal Shopper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Personal Shopper

Start your review of The Personal Shopper (Annie Valentine #1)
Sep 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: swapped
I was really excited to read this book, because I'm somewhat of a shopaholic, and I sell clothing on eBay, just like the main character. However, I was somewhat disappointed in this book.[return[returnThe way the main character, Annie, speaks was just downright annoying. All the "babes" and "darlin"s that kept popping up drove me crazy. I wanted to slap her! And I just could not believe how quickly she capitulated in her job, or furthered her relationships - seemed unrealistic. Annie was flawed, ...more
Leah
Aug 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-read-2010
Meet Annie Valentine: stylish, savvy, multi-tasker extraordinaire. As a personal shopper in a swanky London fashion store, Annie can re-style and re-invent her clients from head to toe. In fact, this super-skilled dresser can be relied on to solve everyone’s problems . . . except her own. Although she’s a busy single mum to stroppy teen Lana and painfully shy Owen, there’s a gap in Annie’s wardrobe – sorry, life – for a new man. But finding the perfect partner is turning out to be so much tricki ...more
Elisabetta
Dont' want to hide this, but there are some light spoilers in the review ;)

What I usually expect from a chick-lit is to have a quite unlikely story that makes me mostly laugh, and in which is clear from the beginning who will be the prince charming in the end.
This time I haven't had this impression here. Annie, the personal shopper and main character is somehow someone who the writer would like to be a real person. Someone who has a family to take care of, and in the meanwhile
Jill Elizabeth
Aug 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Today’s book review is a nice light-hearted romp into the magical world of shopping in high-fashion London.

The Personal Shopper is the tale of Annie Valentine, a single mum of two who works at a posh London department store as a – duh – personal shopper. She helps the extremely wealthy (and the occasional friend/colleague) invent and reinvent themselves through clothes and accessories. She’s a sassy, saucy, sweetheart of a character, which of course means she runs afoul of a horrid boss, well-m
Akl
Oct 09, 2012 rated it did not like it
Mel
Dec 31, 2009 rated it liked it
I've never read anything by Carmen Reid before, so I decided to check this out.
Annie Valentine has the perfect job...she's a personal shopper and spends all day choosing clothes for people. She has two children, Owen and Lana. Lana is the typical rebelling teen, but Owen is more interesting. She used to be married, but we don't find out what happened to her husband until the end. I was genuinely shocked, it was something I never saw coming. Never.
Annie is very lonely and desperate to find
Kat A
Feb 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Unfortunately, I read the sequel to this book before the original, so I had a bit of strange pre-knowledge going in. Annie Valentine is even more annoying in this book, and this is the one that intros her! She is good at her job, and the personal shopping angle is quite interesting as is the dynamic with her children. This book explains how Annie and Ed get together. Overall, the story was good, as I definitely kept reading, but the one thing I really didn't like was the way the author kept Rodd ...more
Rosie
Jul 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2010
This book was just so funny. Right at the start you're lead to believe that Annie Valentine's husband has left her with their rebellious teenage daughter and very shy son. Annie's best friend is gay and he really brings a lot of humour to the book. I think he was my favourite character. She works as a personal shopper in a huge shop called "The Store" she's very good at her job and has a few other things that she does on the side to support her family.

All the characters are pretty lovable apart
Suzanne
Jun 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, romance
I really, really liked this book! I enjoy chick lit, and was expecting a light, breezy read. This, while somewhat traditionally light, went beyond the normal chick lit and had some depth to it, including a twist that was WAY unexpected. I loved Annie and Ed, Lana, Owen, and Conner. I can't wait to the read the next in this series!
Roseanne
Aug 09, 2013 rated it did not like it
Annie Valentine has got to be one of the most vapid wenches ever conceived. Nothing remotely likeable about her or her kids and her parenting skills are shameful, fiction or not. Boring and predictable, I only finished it because I needed something mindless to do on my son's first day back at school. I am regretting that choice, as it's time I will never get back.
Marit
Nov 18, 2015 rated it liked it
This book is really cute and nice! :)
Tala Lucy
Jun 14, 2017 marked it as dnf
I read about 100 pages of this and so so so stereotypical. I just cant.
Tia
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Another book from our breakroom at work.

Where to start? Perhaps I could just save everyone's time and say that I would not recommend this book to anyone, ever. I don't understand why it was written, I don't understand why it was published, and I don't understand how it was so incredibly long, especially when you knew from the start how it was going to end. There was one twist that I did not see coming that for a minute made this book almost mediocre, but... no.

Just rememb
Ramsha
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was not really sure about this book when I initially started reading it but by the end I was really glad that I gave it a shot.
Firstly, If I had any idea about an occupation known as 'personal shopper' I would have opted for it instead.
I was so so angry at Rooney for leaving Annie and family but it broke my heart when the reason was unveiled. Life can suck and it sucked so much.
I so LOVE Conner that I so want a friend like him in my life.
Ed and Owen were lovely. I'm so proud of Ed, people
Melanie
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun love story

Such a cute story! I wish I could be a fashionista! Annie dresses the rich and snobby, thinking that’s her life, until she realizes it isn’t! Can’t wait to read the next one!
Archana Radhakrishnan
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Why did i even bother.. This is such a lame copy of Sophie Kinsella's work!
Renée
Jan 02, 2015 rated it did not like it
I was looking for something light and fun after reading a very long series. I only ended up finishing the book because I didn't want to start the year off by quitting a book. I didn't like it very much. The story could have been fun, but Annie, the main character is a vapid and neurotic b*tch. The way that she describes people she sees on the street is horrendous. She only cares about people if they can do something for her. Oh, you're not rich? Well you can bloody well f*ck off then. Annie will ...more
Emma Young
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love this series. A huge 5 ⭐ ...more
Tina
Mar 28, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: own-it, chick-lit
3.5 stars - This is my first Carmen Reid book. It was lovely. The beginning was good, then it got a little slow (I blame the Roddy flashbacks). Once it picked up it was hard to put down. If you enjoy chick-lit literature with a little romance, fashion, lots of shopping, and fun characters ... give this a go.

Yeahs ::

* I enjoyed reading Annie's personal shopping experiences. It was fashionably witty.
* Ed and Annie's relationship build up was done very well. It was sw
Agi
May 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
Oi. It's the second time that I've read this book. This time I would give it three stars, not four, but let it stay it this way.
Too much about nothing, not a lot of action, and a lot about clothes. Of course there was happening something from time to time, but it came suddenly, it was very fast finished and came never again. OK, the characters are very nice, I actually liked them all, they were warm and friendly, typical family with its problems: school, work, money, love life... Some funn
Maryfran
Oct 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book had some really great moments. The book had me laughing at some of the sub stories that occur within the plot line. The story also had me teary at one point. My main complaint about the book was that the plot was all over the place at the beginning of the book. It wasn't until about half way through that the plot and the focus of the book came into focus, before that it seemed to be random vignettes from the life of a personal shopper. (although they were great stories so I kept readin ...more
Moon Love
Feb 14, 2012 rated it liked it
This book was more of a 3.5/5. Carmen Reid is a well known author of chick lit and having read a previous title by her, or two, this book, the first in her Annie Valentine or Shopper series is very well written. Annie's struggle to come to grips with Roddy's desertion and dealing with her two children all on a tight budget is not going well. She's lonely too and her lovely job as a personal shopper at The Store is becoming painful due to a mean boss.

Carmen Reid does a great job at keeping the p
Titan3lla
Jul 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Dora Okeyo
Oct 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
This story follows Annie- a great personal shopper who can transform clients within seconds from drab to fab, but her only challenge is settling for the right man.
She has two kids Lana and Owen- and somewhere along the way meets Ed- Owen's teacher- they share a kiss, and her best friend Connor asks her to get together with the guy because he's perfect for her.

I loved this story- towards the end, let's say the last twenty pages because it had more of Annie accepting who she is a
Shea
Mar 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: ihave
Nuzhat
Oct 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Finished the book I brought to my old school and picked this one up to spend some time. Not really my style with all the brand names and the lifestyle of overspending to impress. Figured out early on who she would end up with. I was confused once the author revealed the reason her husband's not around, but I could swear there was divorce mentioned too as to why she had a friend. I might have to go back and reread that section to confirm. It's a really quick read despite the fact that I'm not up ...more
Nic
Apr 14, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up-on
My sole reason for giving this book a try was that it was a Kindle freebie. Annie, the main character of The Personal Shopper is Shopaholic’s Becky Bloomwood if Becky were mature, financially responsible, boring, and bitchy. I don't care for someone who instantly dismisses another person just because their wardrobe didn't come with a 5-digit price tag. Annie is a judgmental snob and this plot is just not my cup of tea. Couldn't get beyond the second chapter.
Michal
Oct 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
Romance? love?
Pleeeze.
Lust and infatuation.
A very pink book about extremely superficial people and their "problem" presenting themselves to the world: I don't have a thing to wear! Shopping here I come!
The answer to every problem from post divorce depression to a grieving widow is dress up, put a good face on it, esp. in a designer label, and sachet forth and conquer.
But there is a touching side to this story. I wish I could like the character more and the way she coped.
Evangeline
Feb 13, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, womens-lit
Yo-yos between just being a bit of light-hearted fun and being shallow rubbish. If read this book shouldn't be taken too seriously. The main character, Annie Valentine, can at times seem like an annoying, shallow bimbo who puts herself before her kids, but I did start feeling sorry for her towards the end. And the book finishes at a point that left me wondering whether or not I should read the sequel to see what happens next...
Rebecca Hill
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book !! has everything I like in it. Beautiful clothes, personal shopping and interesting female lead (with cool family). I liked pretty much everythign about this book. I would highly reccomend this book to anyone who likes titles like, confessions of a shopaholic and really anyone that likes chick-lit. Great story. Awesome subject.
« previous 1 3 next »
Good books?! 1 4 Jan 20, 2014 02:44PM

• Bridesmaids
  • Young Wives' Tales
  • Divas Las Vegas
  • Angel (Angel Summer, #1)
  • I Heart New York (I Heart, #1)
  • A Gift for Dying
  • Girl on the Run
  • My Best Friend's Girl
  • The Nearly-Weds
  • Anybody Out There? (Walsh Family, #4)
  • The Dating Detox
  • The Yorkshire Pudding Club
  • Thirtynothing
  • Where Have All the Boys Gone?
  • Don't You Forget About Me
  • The Single Girl's To-Do List
  • The Secret Shopper's Revenge
  • The Gatecrasher
Carmen was born and brought up in a chilly and windy corner of Scotland in the depths of the countryside.

This may explain her lifelong phobia of cows and abiding interest in cities, department stores, books, the cinema and newspapers.

She is currently working on her eigth novel for grown-ups and her third novel for teenagers. Well, she likes to keep busy.

Carmen d

Annie Valentine (6 books)
  • Late Night Shopping (Annie Valentine, #2)
  • How Not To Shop (Annie Valentine, #3)
  • The Celebrity Shopper (Annie Valentine, #4)
  • New York Valentine (Annie Valentine, #5)
  • Shopping With the Enemy (Annie Valentine, #6)