Start by marking “Drawing the Head and Hands” as Want to Read:
Drawing the Head and Hands

Drawing the Head and Hands

The illustrator Andrew Loomis (1892-1959) is revered amongst artists - including the great American painter Norman Rockwell and comics superstar Alex Ross - for his mastery of figure drawing and clean, Realist style.

His hugely influential series of art instruction books have never been bettered.

Drawing the Head and Hands is the second in Titan's programme of facsimile ed

Published January 18th 1956 by Viking Pr

To ask other readers questions about Drawing the Head and Hands, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drawing the Head and Hands

Parka
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

(More pictures of the book on my blog)

This is the second Andrew Loomis book that publisher Titan Books has reprinted. Just like Figure Drawing for All It's Worth, this is a large format hardcover with a dust jacket. The production quality is excellent and it's a faithful reprint of the original content.

There are 5 parts to the book. The first 4 parts covers the drawing of head for men, women, babies, kids and teenagers. The last part is on drawing hands. The instructions are insightful and simpl
Chicochan
Nov 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely the best resource for learning to draw the human figure.
Patrick
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015, drawing
There is a reason why Andrew Loomis is deemed one of the best artists on teaching the fundamentals of drawing. I've been exposed to his work for a while, but it was only until recently did I decide to read one of his books.

Not only does Loomis break down the fundamentals of drawing, he explains WHY they are relevant and also adds great knowledge and experience on applying that knowledge to the working life of any artist. Given that a lot of his work has been built upon other artists after him,
Helsean K.
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love Loomis' books! They always offer in-depth understanding of every drawing subject! Portraits in this book are fascinating and I've not seen a book so detailed as this one on drawing different age groups. Highly recommended for portrait artists who don't want their works to look photographic, but at the same time beautiful in an artistic sense.
Clayton
Dec 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
This is the fourth Loomis book that I've read, and I'd have to admit it's the least essential one that I've read yet. That's not to say that there is nothing of value here (not to mention more beautiful art by Loomis), but in terms of nuts and bolts drawing instruction on the subject of hands and heads, there isn't as much information to learn as you might get from "Creative Illustration" or "Figure Drawing."

I'd recommend this book, but only if you've already started an Andrew Loomis section in
JordanDunn
Jun 16, 2015 rated it did not like it
I think this book is a really good book for people who want to learn how to draw hands and heads and I like this book because it helps me get ideas of drawing and I really like the person who explains this.
I chose this book because I'm interested in art and drawing.
I learned how to draw head and hands from this book.
Fafiliebe ♥ Warner ♥ Raffe ♥
andrew is amazing,, he helped me alot
Lorena Da Silva
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, art
This book helped me in my animation classes, understanding the hands and the proportion of the head in general. I always struggle with hands, but this book was very useful to practice in my sketchbook. Always practice drawing your own hand.

I still struggle with perspective drawings of humans, but I can always open the book and look for references of the perspective of the head and face
Reeda Booke
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference, drawing, art, own
I love to draw, but always had a problem with hands (and feet, to be honest). This book is a fantastic resource and a big help in helping me practice and refining my drawings as a whole.
Definitely recommended for all artists out there!
gloria
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A must-read for those hoping to improve their art skill. Great tips and methods inside.
David
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great start in drawing the portraits.
Joellen
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art
Andrew Loomis is one of my favorite illustrators. His teaching methods are some of the best in his class.
Scott Wiener
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art-books
Essential reference for any illustrator.
Lau
Jan 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is one of Loomis' books that I was never able to locate a physical copy of and always wanted. One of the biggest challenges for me is drawing hands and I look forward to having this reference to work with.

Working with the Loomis Estate, Titan Books has created a facsimile of the original publication. The content is beautifully printed and the quality of the volume imparts a gravity to compliment the sense of genuineness - it is almost like having an early edition.

As always, Loomis' methods
F.P.
Dec 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art, nonfiction
At least several fabulous drawings of gorgeous male faces and heads. I love reading this book just for that.

The plane-by-plane breakdowns for human faces are very useful, and the part I have the most trouble rendering correctly. I've seen contradictions across books, as if the human head isn't consistent lol.

But, I'm probably going to stick with this one's instruction. I must stop relying on a library copy and get my own copy.
Pannita
May 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is old but still a very good reference for drawing. I really like this one because it is all about drawing the head and hands from adults, old people to babies. Another great reference book! Check out my full reference books collection here: http://korpannita.wordpress.com/2013/...
Serge Pierro
Sep 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
Thanks to the likes of Alex Ross, Andrew Loomis's series of books are starting to get the notice they deserve. Here he tackles heads, and to a lesser degree hands. I prefer Hogarth's books on both subjects better, however, Loomis excels at rendering each in tone. His tonally shaded heads are outstanding. Although the look is "dated", the material contained within in is tremendous.
Barbara Roma
Jul 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It's an amazing book!!
Unlike Figure drawing for all it's worth that I found a little difficult to start, so I chose Bridgman's Complete Guide to Drawing from Life to start all full body.
However when you get used to shapes, Loomis is the best choice to move forward.
David Buchan
Oct 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
Great teaching aid and source book for pencil portraits. Clear and illustrated guidance on getting proportions right however the subject's head is angled. Essential reading and exercises for life drawing.
Jo
Apr 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A classic with flawless illustrations and insightful instruction. Amazed at the detail and specific information on babies, toddlers, school children, teenagers, adults and seniors. Recommended for anyone serious about illustration.
claudia
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: artbooks
I highly recommend books by andrew loomis, because of the individual detailed subjects he draws and write about. And most importantly these books are for free download. They don't make them like this anymore.
Natasha
Jun 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A great book for providing some fundamental skills to practice drawing the head with. It takes quite a good look at proportions, the bone and muscle structure of the face and the planes of the head, all of which are helpful for doing studies or creating your own characters.
Michelle
Jul 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art-instruction
This is a very detailed and helpful book, but again...his narrative often gets me. Loomis is always a good find and I highly recommend him for the beginner and intermediate levels if you are self-studying.
Houssam Moughrabi
Dec 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loomis simplified and recreated the complicated methods of artistic anatomy . .. to give artists the best modern method . ..
Murtaza
Jul 10, 2016 is currently reading it
I want to became a good pointer
Mar 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
it is amazing
i mean the drawings are outsatanding
Ruby
Dec 07, 2013 marked it as to-read
Recommended to Ruby by: Dr Ahmed Barakat
Shelves: drawing
It's a great book to teach you the technique of head and hand drawing ... It's simple and professional
Satine Dali
Dec 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
I mainly focused on the section about drawing hands. One of my weaknesses when drawing humans, however I do see a slight (slight) improvement, having practiced with this book. I will keep striving.

• Dynamic Wrinkles and Drapery: Solutions for Drawing the Clothed Figure
  • The Artist's Complete Guide to Facial Expression
  • Drawing and Painting Fantasy Landscapes and Cityscapes
  • The Art of Perspective: The Ultimate Guide for Artists in Every Medium
  • Lessons in Classical Drawing: Essential Techniques from Inside the Atelier
  • Keys to Drawing with Imagination: Strategies and Exercises for Gaining Confidence and Enhancing Your Creativity
  • Drawing Portraits: Faces and Figures
  • Figure Drawing: Design and Invention
  • Drawn to Life: 20 Golden Years of Disney Master Classes: Volume 1: The Walt Stanchfield Lectures
  • The Artist's Complete Guide to Drawing the Head
  • Human Anatomy Made Amazingly Easy
William Andrew Loomis was an American illustrator, author, and art instructor.
“No "knack" of drawing heads can compete with sound knowledge.” 0 likes
“The thing to remember is that the skull is fixed in position, and, with the exception of the jaw, immovable, and that the flesh is mobile and ever-changing, and also affected by health, emotion, and age.

After the skull is fully matured, it remains the same through life and is a structural foundation for the varying appearance of the flesh.”
0 likes