Start by marking “The ABC's of Real Estate Investing: The Secrets of Finding Hidden Profits Most Investors Miss” as Want to Read:

This title enables readers to learn how the cash flow generated from property investment appreciates in value and ensures financial freedom, as well as the freedom to be your own boss.
Published September 1st 2004 by Business Plus

To ask other readers questions about The ABC's of Real Estate Investing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The ABC's of Real Estate Investing

Start your review of The ABC's of Real Estate Investing: The Secrets of Finding Hidden Profits Most Investors Miss
Devin
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wealth, real-estate
"What makes this book different [is] it is written from the most important aspect of real estate investment, which is property management"- Robert Kiyosaki

Partners are valuable because they allow you to own smaller positions in a number of properties rather than a big position in just one (p.3)
"All things are difficult before they are easy" (p.4)

When you buy a house or condo and rent it out, appreciation of the property rests solely on the appreciation of the surrounding neighborhood. When you
Nola Redd
Mar 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was an easy read, yet full of some excellent facts on working in real estate investing. And it had my favorite thing - formulas to analyze just how good (or bad) an investment is, from a cashflowing perspective. McElroy reviewed how to analyze properties and their P&L statements, and how to put together a team (actually...that first). He did seem stuck on larger properties, and left me hanging with a few questions about smaller investments, but nothing overly required. One of the best ...more
Francesca Brown
Aug 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book makes investing seem possible for the average Jane or Jo. I currently am interning at a real estate investment company and many of the themes presented in the book are exactly how my bosses view the investment world. I look like a genius because I understand the basics and I build upon my knowledge with the internship! I'm soooo lucky. Moving along...The ABC's... is a great introductory piece. I took thorough notes and plan to put this knowledge to work soon!
David
Apr 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are interested in buying properties as investments but have no experience and are not even sure where to begin, The ABCs of Real Estate Investing: The Secrets of Finding Hidden Profits Most Investors Miss by Ken McElroy may be a great place to start. Even if you've already taken the plunge and possibly bought a property or two, this book can really improve your skills and possibly help you turn a money pit into a cash cow. Everything from how to find good deals to how to analyze them and ...more
Suz
Sep 20, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: money
It takes courage to do what this book advises and it really doesn't give you enough instruction to build up that confidence. But still interesting.
Hussam Al Husseini

CHAPTER 1 THE MYTHS AND THE MAGIC
Myth 1 You Have to be already wealthy to invest in real estate
Partners “help you spread your risk by allowing you to own smaller positions in a number of properties rather than a big position in just one.”

Myth 2 You need to start small – big deals are too risky
Some of the reasons why large properties are not riskier:
1 “Mortgages on smaller properties like single-family homes are almost always guaranteed through the buyer’s own personal earning potential and wealt

Khanh Cao
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is absolutely amazing!

Would recommend to people who are struggling with knowing the real value of their property, the managing process, or just simple want to sell/buy a property but has not known where to start.

The book also has very cool examples (and interesting), a critical insight on dealing with the papers, team members and stuffs, etc.. Just read it and you will see how cool it is. Totally worth the money ;)
Kristin
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great book, lots of actionable advice and inspiration. Although it's called the ABCs I feel like it's not the best first book to read since it simply goes headfirst into large multi-family investments, which is not necessarily how everyone wants to start. Since this was the 12th real estate investing book I've read, I was able to take out the unique points I hadn't heard elsewhere yet and appreciate what makes sense for my investing goals. Will definitely read Ken's other books!
May Udy
Aug 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Good book on how the real estate industry works. If you are trying to buy and invest in apartment complexes this is a great how to book. It goes step by step through how to make a purchase, and how to do your due diligence, so you can be confident in your investment. But if you are a looking to invest in smaller properties, like single family homes or duplexes, the advice in this book is more complicated than I would imagine you need. I probably don't need an accountant and a tax consultant for ...more
Omar Omran
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
I finished it in one day. I was looking for a lot of answer but got less than half of them answered. i wish he talked about funding and how to fund properties on low down payments.
i liked how to make the valuation of the property. However, the author talks as a property company not as an individual investor which made difference for me. for example he often says , i asked my team to help me get the number. But i am not a company and i do not have a team.
Also, it applies more to the American mar
Megan
Apr 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
this was a great book about details of real estate investing. I learned alot about how to make investments more strategic and less risky. There were alot of useful formulas and calculations on how to know if the investment is worth it or not and such. Great book if you are interested in learning more about the subject.
Scott
Jul 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Fairly decent guide to multi-family commercial properties. Will keep on my shelf and revisit when I start in that market.
Thomas Port
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well written introduction in the basics of real estate investing, it's comprehensive enough to give you an understanding of the fundamentals of how to run a real estate business yet brief enough to be non-intimidating.

And to comment on that point I think that is one of McElroy's intentions in writing the book it seems fair to say that numerous people within real estate investing see it as exactly that. It is a passive activity, whereby you buy a property, get a property manager and let the cash
Amin Mo
2.5/5
I have only read one real-estate book other than this one, which means that my knowledge about real estate isn’t even near adequate. But despite of that, this book still didn’t provide me with more proper information in real estate that could enhance my insight of the field.
The “ABCs” in the title suggests that it’s meant for beginners, and will go on in everything a beginner must know, but the truth is, I feel that many important aspects of real-estate investing have been skipped. Also, th
Gabriel Lopez
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
A very easy read, and very informative. One comment I read on here was that it takes courage to do, and I couldn't agree more. If you find yourself in that group, I recommend you build yourself up to the point where you are confident in yourself and in your abilities first. We all have to go through this stage. Knowledge is not power until it is applied, and through application we get experience, and experience is what gives us confidence. I recommend this book to anyone interested in real estat ...more
Coby
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was a really good book to read to learn about real estate investing. It talked about the importance of property management, why you should rely on cashflow and not appreciation to be successful in real estate, and how to get partners for a deal. Another thing that was emphasised was the importance of finding a good deal. As a bad deal would end up failing which would make it harder to find partners in the future. Overall this book is a really good guide on getting started with real est ...more
Jackson Udy
Aug 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Tao Lee
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I haven't read a book this good in a while.

% step property evaluation:
verify property income
verify expenses
determine net operating income.
find the capitalization rate and valuation
calculate the loan payment and your profit or cash on cash

earnest money is refundable
a contingency clause defines a condition or action that must be met for a real estate contract to become binding.

social media is a strong marketing strategy you may not even need to pay for marketing.
Identify utility, insurance, a
Japp
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Rich Dad book and I really enjoyed listening to it. Ken is a great storyteller and was able to convey the message in a very interesting way. I learned a lot from this book, so much that I am ready to delve into the real estate market. I know I will still make mistakes, but this book has gotten me started and given me some foundation. Now it's time to apply the knowledge.
I actually listened to the audible book, and the narrator did a great job delivering Ken's message, as if I
Casimir Zoutendijk
Great book with some very clear insights. Sometimes I had to let the information sink in for a while, since I am not too much of a numbers guy, but I feel like I eventually got the gist of it. The information is not only useful for people who want to know about investing, but also for people about to pick out a home to buy for themselves. I will definately take this one up again to read some chapters so a 4-star review seems in order for me.
Bryan Atkinson
McElroy has an arrogant writing style and self-centered content, which makes this book hard to read. He presents his investing strategy as the only right strategy. I wonder what he would say to the millionaires who made their money by using other real estate investment strategies. I was tempted to not finish the book because of this and its generalness, but the latter chapters include more specific and applicable advise that I found valuable.
Jethro Pieterse
May 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: investing
Excellent guide which takes you through the real estate investment cycle as both the investor and the property manager. This book does tend to focus on commercial real estate which I would warn new investors towards as I hold the belief of starting small and building big.

Nevertheless Ken paints a clear path by being honest and upfront with the challenges that will face real estate investors and a game plan on how to avoid common mistakes.

Stacia
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a great book for those in the beginning stages of real estate investing. It was straightforward and contained numerous useful suggestions relating to the processes of researching, purchasing, and managing properties. Be aware it does not address ways to finance your investments, so you will need to look elsewhere if that is information you're seeking.
Omer Nizri
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must for new rental real estate investors

Ken changed the way I think about rental real estate investments and provides a lot of advices that will save you money in the long run.
Every chapter contains practical actions to do in order to implement what you've just learned during the chapter so the content will sink in.
Kammie
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the positive goal setting that the book starts out with! It really set the tone for the power of property investing. Can't wait to apply it to my own portfolio within the year! Love the questions to ask potential sellers and property managers. The real gem for me is the Five Step Property Evaluation process.
Kevin Razawich
Mar 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: real-estate
This was a great book - easy to read and follow. Sometimes I couldn't tell if it was geared toward residential properties like SFH - quads, or large apartment buildings.

I liked the book and will refer back to it when doing deals, but I would partner it with other books as well for a more technical approach.
Jonathan
Aug 05, 2020 rated it liked it
1. This book is great after half of it, first half is mostly filler. 2. The book is oriented into Multi-Unit real estate and property management. It will walk you though the entire process of considering, evaluating, writing offer, and managing. If you are looking to learn how to save tax, and acquire residential single family homes, this book wont help at all.
Anas Hallak
Oct 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Concise and brief learning material found in the writer successful story in multifamily apartment properties investment. He touched on the basics of real estate investment, how to conduct reasonable due diligence, a walk though the buy and selling processes. I would recommend this book before starting multifamily apartment complex real estate investment
Kaila
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Despite technical writing errors, this book dives deep into the topic of real estate investing with incredibly insightful tips and an easy to follow outline. Highly recommend this read for beginner or even amateur investors!
Estuardo
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing info

Information is great, applying formulas and understanding how real estate works is done. I learned a lot and I think that this will help me a lot in my future investment work
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Real Estate Riches: How to Become Rich Using Your Banker's Money
  • Own Your Own Corporation
  • The Millionaire Real Estate Investor
  • Why We Want You To Be Rich: Two Men, One Message
  • The Book on Investing In Real Estate with No (and Low) Money Down: Creative Strategies for Investing in Real Estate Using Other People's Money
  • Rich Dad's Cashflow Quadrant: Rich Dad's Guide to Financial Freedom
  • The Book on Rental Property Investing: How to Create Wealth With Intelligent Buy and Hold Real Estate Investing
  • Rich Dad's Advisors: Guide to Investing In Gold and Silver: Everything You Need to Know to Profit from Precious Metals Now
  • Multiple Streams of Income: How to Generate a Lifetime of Unlimited Wealth
  • Tax-Free Wealth: How to Build Massive Wealth by Permanently Lowering Your Taxes
  • The Book on Estimating Rehab Costs, Revised Edition: The Investor's Guide to Defining Your Renovation Plan, Building Your Budget, and Knowing Exactly How Much It All Costs
  • Rich Dad's Conspiracy of the Rich: The 8 New Rules of Money
  • Rich Dad's Guide to Investing: What the Rich Invest in That the Poor and Middle Class Do Not!
  • The Real Book of Real Estate: Real Experts. Real Stories. Real Life.
  • How to Invest in Real Estate: The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Getting Started
  • Start Your Own Corporation: Why the Rich Own Their Own Companies and Everyone Else Works for Them
  • Building Wealth One House at a Time: Making it Big on Little Deals
  • Rich Woman: A Book on Investing for Women, Take Charge Of Your Money, Take Charge Of Your Life

News & Interviews

“There will come a day when the properties my partner and I own will be sold. But until that day, the cash flow generated from them, and their appreciation in value, ensures that we have the ability to do the things we love today, and in the future.” 1 likes