Start by marking “The ABC's of Real Estate Investing: The Secrets of Finding Hidden Profits Most Investors Miss” as Want to Read:

This title enables readers to learn how the cash flow generated from property investment appreciates in value and ensures financial freedom, as well as the freedom to be your own boss.
Published September 1st 2004 by Business Plus

To ask other readers questions about The ABC's of Real Estate Investing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The ABC's of Real Estate Investing

Nola Redd
Mar 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was an easy read, yet full of some excellent facts on working in real estate investing. And it had my favorite thing - formulas to analyze just how good (or bad) an investment is, from a cashflowing perspective. McElroy reviewed how to analyze properties and their P&L statements, and how to put together a team (actually...that first). He did seem stuck on larger properties, and left me hanging with a few questions about smaller investments, but nothing overly required. One of the b ...more
Francesca Brown
Aug 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book makes investing seem possible for the average Jane or Jo. I currently am interning at a real estate investment company and many of the themes presented in the book are exactly how my bosses view the investment world. I look like a genius because I understand the basics and I build upon my knowledge with the internship! I'm soooo lucky. Moving along...The ABC's... is a great introductory piece. I took thorough notes and plan to put this knowledge to work soon!
Devin
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"What makes this book different [is] it is written from the most important aspect of real estate investment, which is property management"- Robert Kiyosaki

Partners are valuable because they allow you to own smaller positions in a number of properties rather than a big position in just one (p.3)
"All things are difficult before they are easy" (p.4)

When you buy a house or condo and rent it out, appreciation of the property rests solely on the appreciation of the surrounding neigh
Suz
Sep 20, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: money
It takes courage to do what this book advises and it really doesn't give you enough instruction to build up that confidence. But still interesting.
Khanh Cao
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is absolutely amazing!

Would recommend to people who are struggling with knowing the real value of their property, the managing process, or just simple want to sell/buy a property but has not known where to start.

The book also has very cool examples (and interesting), a critical insight on dealing with the papers, team members and stuffs, etc.. Just read it and you will see how cool it is. Totally worth the money ;)
Kristin
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great book, lots of actionable advice and inspiration. Although it's called the ABCs I feel like it's not the best first book to read since it simply goes headfirst into large multi-family investments, which is not necessarily how everyone wants to start. Since this was the 12th real estate investing book I've read, I was able to take out the unique points I hadn't heard elsewhere yet and appreciate what makes sense for my investing goals. Will definitely read Ken's other books!
May Udy
Aug 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Good book on how the real estate industry works. If you are trying to buy and invest in apartment complexes this is a great how to book. It goes step by step through how to make a purchase, and how to do your due diligence, so you can be confident in your investment. But if you are a looking to invest in smaller properties, like single family homes or duplexes, the advice in this book is more complicated than I would imagine you need. I probably don't need an accountant and a tax consultant for ...more
Omar Omran
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
I finished it in one day. I was looking for a lot of answer but got less than half of them answered. i wish he talked about funding and how to fund properties on low down payments.
i liked how to make the valuation of the property. However, the author talks as a property company not as an individual investor which made difference for me. for example he often says , i asked my team to help me get the number. But i am not a company and i do not have a team.
Also, it applies more to the Americ
Megan
Apr 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
this was a great book about details of real estate investing. I learned alot about how to make investments more strategic and less risky. There were alot of useful formulas and calculations on how to know if the investment is worth it or not and such. Great book if you are interested in learning more about the subject.
Scott
Jul 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Fairly decent guide to multi-family commercial properties. Will keep on my shelf and revisit when I start in that market.
Thomas Port
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well written introduction in the basics of real estate investing, it's comprehensive enough to give you an understanding of the fundamentals of how to run a real estate business yet brief enough to be non-intimidating.

And to comment on that point I think that is one of McElroy's intentions in writing the book it seems fair to say that numerous people within real estate investing see it as exactly that. It is a passive activity, whereby you buy a property, get a property manager and let the cash
Jackson Udy
Aug 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Tao Lee
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I haven't read a book this good in a while.

% step property evaluation:
verify property income
verify expenses
determine net operating income.
find the capitalization rate and valuation
calculate the loan payment and your profit or cash on cash

earnest money is refundable
a contingency clause defines a condition or action that must be met for a real estate contract to become binding.

social media is a strong marketing strategy you may not even need to pay for marke
Bryan Atkinson
McElroy has an arrogant writing style and self-centered content, which makes this book hard to read. He presents his investing strategy as the only right strategy. I wonder what he would say to the millionaires who made their money by using other real estate investment strategies. I was tempted to not finish the book because of this and its generalness, but the latter chapters include more specific and applicable advise that I found valuable.
Casimir Zoutendijk
Great book with some very clear insights. Sometimes I had to let the information sink in for a while, since I am not too much of a numbers guy, but I feel like I eventually got the gist of it. The information is not only useful for people who want to know about investing, but also for people about to pick out a home to buy for themselves. I will definately take this one up again to read some chapters so a 4-star review seems in order for me.
Kammie
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the positive goal setting that the book starts out with! It really set the tone for the power of property investing. Can't wait to apply it to my own portfolio within the year! Love the questions to ask potential sellers and property managers. The real gem for me is the Five Step Property Evaluation process.
Stacia
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a great book for those in the beginning stages of real estate investing. It was straightforward and contained numerous useful suggestions relating to the processes of researching, purchasing, and managing properties. Be aware it does not address ways to finance your investments, so you will need to look elsewhere if that is information you're seeking.
Omer Nizri
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must for new rental real estate investors

Ken changed the way I think about rental real estate investments and provides a lot of advices that will save you money in the long run.
Every chapter contains practical actions to do in order to implement what you've just learned during the chapter so the content will sink in.
Tam Sanami
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was busy alongside reading this great piece. It is really a good book for someone like me who wants to explore the world or real estate investing. Feel free to pick it up and have some knowledge. Remember: no knowledge is a waste.
Matthew Grenier
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, education
Very informing for someone trying to get into real estate investing. My favourite part was that McElroy actually provides you with formulas to determine whether a particular property is a good investment or not. I think anyone looking to get into real estate investing should start here.
Kaila
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Despite technical writing errors, this book dives deep into the topic of real estate investing with incredibly insightful tips and an easy to follow outline. Highly recommend this read for beginner or even amateur investors!
Estuardo
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing info

Information is great, applying formulas and understanding how real estate works is done. I learned a lot and I think that this will help me a lot in my future investment work
Clayton
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Informative but a tad repetitive
eliomax polanco
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for real estate investors.
Ahmed Sharif
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is targeted for both, who are in or are willing to be in the real estate business. The book is nicely organized and explains all the in and out of the business with real life examples.
Camille
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
that easy, huh?
Vincenzo
Sep 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: finance, learning
A pleasant and quick reading, but, outside from USA it has little use.
Dodie
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

Great high level read to wrap your head around the why and how. Multi family is the focus so not for those interested in single family.
Tanesha
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lots of great information!!
Navya
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice read

It's a nice and descriptive book that goes through all the steps involved in buying or selling a property. Must read for beginners.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Real Estate Riches: How to Become Rich Using Your Banker's Money
  • Rich Dad's Real Estate Advantages: Tax and Legal Secrets of Successful Real Estate Investors
  • Rich Dad's Who Took My Money?: Why Slow Investors Lose and Fast Money Wins!
  • Real Estate Loopholes: Secrets of Successful Real Estate Investing
  • Own Your Own Corporation
  • OPM: Other People's Money: How to Attract Other People's Money for Your Investments -- The Ultimate Leverage
  • Sales Dogs: You Do Not Have to Be an Attack Dog to Be Successful in Sales
  • Rich Dad's Advisors: Guide to Investing In Gold and Silver: Everything You Need to Know to Profit from Precious Metals Now
  • Loopholes of the Rich: How the Rich Legally Make More Money and Pay Less Tax
  • What Every Real Estate Investor Needs to Know about Cash Flow... And 36 Other Key Financial Measures
  • The Millionaire Real Estate Investor
  • Building Wealth One House at a Time: Making it Big on Little Deals
“There will come a day when the properties my partner and I own will be sold. But until that day, the cash flow generated from them, and their appreciation in value, ensures that we have the ability to do the things we love today, and in the future.” 1 likes