Start by marking “Ellie (Ellie's People #1)” as Want to Read:
Ellie (Ellie's People #1)

Ellie (Ellie's People #1)

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  186 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Ellie Maust, an Old Order Amish girl growing up in the early 1900s, wishes she could wear bright dresses like her English friend, Missy, and face cream and perfume like their fancy Amish hired girl, Susie Glick.

As Ellie helps to care for the new babies in her family, milks cows, and learns to can and garden, she strains against her father's strict ideas and wonders what he
Published August 1st 2014 by Herald Press (VA) (first published April 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Ellie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ellie

TaylorZuv
Jul 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book because it brings alive the history of Amish people and their culture. In this book, you follow Ellie and her family through several events in their lives, such as an Amish funeral and wedding, and moving day. I recommend this book to anyone who is interested in learning about different cultures.
Katie
Jul 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: educational
This was a lovely book, and appropriate for all ages. The ONLY reason I did not give it five stars was all the spanking in the first third of the book. I'm vehemently against it, so it may stand out more, but having grown up just down the road from the Amish and knowing them, they are not THAT violent. They,too, prefer gentle communication, though some do resort to the violent alternative...it's NOT the norm.....this book made it appear as if it was.
It also resulted in an absolute fear of her f
Jeannie
Aug 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone interested in the Amish. This is more of a children/teen book (10-15).
I have read this series so many times. My mother accidently sold my first set, but bought me the set I own now a few years ago.

These books helped to increase my interest of the Amish. Borntrager was raised Amish and become a Mennonite later on in life. She portrays both faiths in an objective light, and walks the readers through many of the debates young Amish people have with their faith and with the world around them. All of the books in this series are relatives of Ellie. All are interesting
Valerie Weaver-Zercher
Stay tuned--Herald Press is bringing back the Ellie's People series! The series sold more than half a million copies before going out of print. The first book in the series, Ellie, releases in August. Anyone who wants to weigh in on front cover designs for these new editions, leave a comment here.
Bibliotropic
Feb 16, 2010 rated it liked it
This isn't the first time I've read this book, but my fascination with the Amish means I occasionally read such books over again, just for fun.

This isn't a very challenging book even by YA standards, but I have to commend it for giving a curious people an insider's view on what it is to be Amish. Not many books bother with that, instead looking upon the Amish from the view of an outsider only.

That being said, though, the book does have a few problems. Aside from various typos that slipped into t
Kristi Bernard
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
What would it be like to be Amish? Everything you wanted to know you could see through the eyes of a young girl named Ellie. Ellie Maust was born into an Amish home. Her life was very sheltered until she entered the first grade of school. Her experience at school wasn’t a very good one. She was made fun of because she wore a cap, black stockings and spoke with a German dialect. Her Amish up bringing had made her a target. On top of that, her daily chores were also proving to be a challenge. Elli ...more
Ria
Aug 02, 2009 rated it it was ok
While it is interesting to read books written from an Amish perspective, I've noticed that this series has its problems. For starters, it needs a better editor, since I found numerous misspellings and typos littered throughout the pages. ("Forbidden fruity" and "kerosine" being among them.)

Second, the few books from this series that I've read suffer from a lack of timeline indication. The main character can be 6 for the first 3 chapters, be 7 in the fourth chapter, and I don't find out until hal
Julia
Mar 31, 2008 rated it liked it
This book is about an Amish girl growing up near a normal city and she learns that it is very hard to not want dolls, beautiful dresses, purfume, etc... because the Amish culture does not have all those things and are 'worldly" things to the Amish. She learns later in life that her dad was protecting her from those things that could harm her but he was not trying to be mean to her because he loved her very much and wanted whats best for her.

I just re-read this whole book yesterday and I love it
Victoria
Jul 07, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-ve-read
This book would be good for a pre-teen girl to read if she wants to learn a bit about what an Amish girl's life may be like. It was cute. It focuses mainly on Ellie's childhood and the friend she makes who is an "Englisher." Her father is very worried that the world will take a hold of her. The book quickly jumps through her courting years and into her adulthood. I will read the rest of the series just as well.
Nuni
Aug 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: yg mau tau kehidupan komunitas amish
selain bahwa buku ini memperkenalkan saya kepada komunitas 'amish' di amerika...gaya tulisan yg deskriptif di buku ini berhasil bikin buku ini salah satu jendela saya untuk mnegintip dunia di luar yang saya kenal..

kalo soal ellie dan komunitasnya..hhmmm jadi pengen liat sendiri d..apa iya ya sebegitu anti nya mreka terhadap modernitas..??dan apa trus mreka salah atau tidak normal karenanya..???jangan-jangan justru saya lah yang selama ini jadi korban modernitas....
Mario
May 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Sara VA
Interesting life of an Amish girl. Writing isn't the best, so be prepared, if your the type of reader who is sensitive to that, but the story moves and connects and it's a quick read. I read it once when I was younger, and enjoyed it again now as an adult.
Meg
Feb 20, 2012 rated it liked it
I liked it pretty well, I usually like reading about the Amish Old Order. It was a little slow for me, but I stuck with it. It was kinda cool to watch her grow up, and I really liked the one babysitter lady...the one who made Ellie's father mad.
Massanutten Regional Library
Rebecca, North River patron, June 2015, 4 stars:

First book in a series. Very light reading. Amish fiction. Follow main character, Ellie, from a little girl starting school to a woman with her own family. A nice, pleasant read.
Kara
Jul 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I found it for sale at the Seekonk Library. I read this growing up and enjoyed it then so decided to reread.
Melissa
Jul 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
I read this entire series when I was in junior high, I am guessing the year! But I remember really enjoying them. Must find to read again!
Quinntessa  Maurer
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book
Erin
Jun 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: amish
I loved this book and series when I was a young reader! Good, clean reading for all ages.
Anne Dart
Jul 06, 2013 rated it liked it
I liked it. A good read about Amish life as are all the books she wrote.
Partridge Public
Shelves: amish
B. Amish, series, #1, mom's stash, keep
Amanda
Jun 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was my second time reading this book, and I still really enjoyed it. It was a nice glimpse into Amish life.
Hannah Sayers
The last time I read this book I was 10. Being 25 now I am getting back into this series. I have realized this series is timeless and is still a series worth getting lost in.
Sue Klasing
Jun 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Beginning of a series by an author I haven't read before, so far pretty good.
Meadow Frisbie
Jan 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Very Cute!!!! I really enjoyed these books. They were quick but inspiring.
Jada
Sep 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
i thought it was a very good book and you learn about the amish and it's like a biography but it's realistic fiction
Sandra
Jan 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Amish fiction is the greatest.
Ellie Slama
May 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
I got this book for my seventh birthday and I loved it! Funny that's my name. Huh? But really you should read this book it is a good book!
Erin
Feb 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Elsie's Widowhood (The Original Elsie Classics #7)
  • Dying to Win (Jennie McGrady Mysteries, #6)
  • Dating Mr. Darcy
  • Pieces of Light
  • The Princess Adelina: An Ancient Christian Tale of Beauty & Bravery
Mary Christner Borntrager was born to Amish parents near Plain City, Ohio. Her Ellie’s People series is based on her childhood and youth among the Amish. The books bring authentic Amish stories to life for readers interested in Amish fiction and also real depictions of Amish life. Her Ellie’s People novels have sold more than half a million copies and are treasured classics among the Amish and Men ...more
More about Mary Christner Borntrager...

Ellie's People (10 books)
  • Rebecca
  • Rachel (Ellie's People #3)
  • Daniel (Ellie's People)
  • Reuben
  • Andy (Ellie's People #6)
  • Polly
  • Sarah (Ellie's People #7)
  • Mandy