Start by marking “Moominland Midwinter (The Moomins, #6)” as Want to Read:
Moominland Midwinter (The Moomins, #6)

Moominland Midwinter

(Mumintrollen #6)

Everyone knows that the Moomins sleep through the winter, but this year Moomintroll has woken up in January. After his initial shock at seeing his familiar haunts under the snow, Moomintroll discovers that winter is worth waking up for after all.
Published September 1st 1992 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published 1957)

To ask other readers questions about Moominland Midwinter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moominland Midwinter

notgettingenough
Apr 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This book has the best footnotes.

A displaced hedgehog is a hedgehog that has been removed from its home against its will and not even had time to pack its toothbrush.

And a bit later on, when we are so sad because squirrel is dead, the most comforting footnote I've ever read:

In case the reader feels like having a cry, please take a quick look at p. 126.
Eddie Watkins
The human world is a huge mess that somehow survives the day. I don’t know how it happens, and I’m not sure that all our (un)concerted efforts to help it survive don’t just further complicate things and make that daily survival less and less possible. My attitude in these matters is generally that of a cynical Taoist – a profound faith in things as they are functioning “perfectly” in enormous rhythms of time wedded to an understanding that most humans only make things worse. If pressed my explan ...more
Stephen Curran
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'"When one's dead, then one's dead," said Too-Ticky kindly. "This squirrel will become earth all in his time. And still later on there'll grow trees from him, with new squirrels skipping about in them. Do you think that's so sad?"
"Perhaps not," said Moomintroll.'

Granted, I've only just finished reading it, but this might just be my favourite book. Towards the end, when Moomintroll's long and lonely ordeal is finally over, someone suggests that he should put a glass over a budding crocus to prot
Mira
Oct 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Had the urge to reread this because it kept popping up to my bookstagram feed, so thanks, guys. It was even better than I remembered, and a perfect December read.
Nate D
Cynical comfort reading. Jansson's stories won't warm the depths of mid-winter, but may encourage you to accept that the frozen snowy dark is temporary and not entirely meritless if one remains open to its potential. People also. Most of them are irritating in some way or another, but it'll be okay. They're probably also well-meaning in some way.
Marika Oksa
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Luin kirjan uudelleen joulun aikaan. Ihana ja lumoava Taikatalvi <3.
Sinistra
Sep 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Someone bought me this book from a second-hand store when I was a kid. I can't remember who. I had never heard of the Moomin world before that, and for more than a decade no one else I knew ever indicated a knowledge of it. I saw a Little My button on a girl's backpack in High School and pointed it out and she went nuts with joy that someone had recognised it. Moominland was a secret world known by so few. Now the books are easier to find I IMPLORE you to buy them.

I swear this book changed me i
Emma Sea
There's a fab essay by Maria Popova on this book on Brain Pickings today, encompassing "the paradox of active surrender." Highly recommended.

***

Found my childhood copy of this while cleaning out an old box last night, and to my delight I enjoyed it just as much as a grown up. My favourite of all the moomin books, because of the haunting quietness. On my must-read list for all children.
Camilla
Book #5 in #CramaThon2015.

I didn't DNF this the first time I tried reading it because I didn't like it, but more because I wasn't in the mood for it at the time. Glad I picked it up again during CramaThon, because I really enjoyed it!

(Finish a book you DNF'ed.)
Bert
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: orgasmic
I want some warm syrup now..
Felicia
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alltså wow. Hur fantastiskt var inte detta? Förstår verkligen inte hur jag har klarat mig i 21 år utan att ha läst Mumin. Men nu är min första muminbok avklarad och jag längtar sannerligen efter att få läsa fler. Boken är skriven med ett så vackert språk och karaktärerna är helt underbara. Tove Jansson beskriver naturen på ett så poetiskt men ändå äkta sätt att jag tror att det är jag, och inte Mumintrollet, som upplever vintern för första gången. Den här boken fick mig att må så bra. Åh.
Kate
Mar 04, 2010 added it
I love all the Moomin books, but this one especially. It's a small existentialist masterpiece. Who but Tove Jansson can blend menace and whimsy in such a winning way? I'm plotting an omnibus review of the whole series when I've finished rereading them all (two more books to go after this one).
Tiina
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tästä tuli oma lemppari muumikirjojen joukossa. Esi-isä <3
Liesa
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Irgendwie war der Dezember kein so schöner Monat. Nicht, dass mir etwas wirklich schlimmes passiert wäre, aber ich war die ganze Zeit genervt und gestresst und etwas unglücklich. Trost suchte ich bei den Mumins und wurde mit "Winter im Mumintal" direkt etwas aufgemuntert. Wie Mumin den Winter, den er normalerweise ja sonst verschläft, erlebt fand ich wunderbar, gerade, dass er so grantig war und nichts mit dem Schnee anzufangen wusste. Und Too-Ticki ist neuerdings eh eine meiner liebsten Muminfi ...more
Bjorn
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finland
Outside, the cold went up against the night and the moonlight shone through all the green and red windowpanes.
Tell me about snow, said Moomintroll and sat down in his father's sun-bleached garden chair. I don't understand it.
Neither do I, said Too-Ticky. You think it's cold, but if you build a house from it it's warm. You think it's white, but sometimes it's pink, and sometimes blue. It can be the softest thing of all and it can be harder than stone. Nothing is certain.

In which Moomintroll wakes
Abby Monk
Aug 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a book that was gifted to me for my birthday after I said I hadn't read any of the Moomin series, I got a fantastic looking hardcover edition and thoroughly enjoyed reading it on the train. A quick read, I felt that even though I hadn't read any of the other books in the series, I was still able to follow the characters. Also added a touch of frost to a very very warm day. Great read.
Kristīne
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolūta sajūsma!!
Tāds mīlīgs dzīves gudrību krājums. Melanholiķa bībelīte.
Matthew Hunter
"There are such a lot of things that have no place in summer and autumn and spring. Everything that’s a little shy and a little rum. Some kinds of night animals and people that don’t fit in with others and that nobody really believes in. They keep out of the way all the year. And then when everything’s quiet and white and the nights are long and most people are asleep — then they appear." — Too-Ticky, Moominland Midwinter

In Moominworld, misfits come out during the bleakest, coldest time of year
Winter
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-read
4 Stars

This has never been my favorite episode with the show, but it's nevertheless such a cute story and Mummitrollet is home.
Bettie☯
Waiting for the sun... a charming tale of winter.

From Brainpickings: Tove Jansson (1914–2001) is among the most imaginative, important, and influential children's book creators of all time, an artist and writer of unparalleled creative vision and great sensitivity to life's ineffable nuances. A recipient of the prestigious Hans Christian Andersen Award, she had the courage to turn down Walt Disney and build her own creative empire. From her beloved Moomins characters to her spectacular vintage i
Andrea
Magical, haunting, witty, writing of such subtle depth and beauty - how glorious is this book! The characters almost spring forth from the pages into one's heart, and the illustrations are perfect. If you have read this as a child, images from this story will stay with you for a lifetime. If you are an adult newly come to this treasure, you will still be able to appreciate its genius.

Looking back over the decades since I first came to own my precious boxed set, I think Tove's writing prepared me
Elizabeth
my absolute favorite of the Moomin books. This time I read it entirely in the summer house, which has emerged triumphant in winter in much the same way Too Ticky takes over the Bathing Hut in the book.

"here come the dumb
the lonely and the rum
the wild and the quiet
bang goes the drum"

Too Ticky is the character I would most like to be... I suppose Little My is my favorite, but I would rather actually model myself on Too Ticky. And I want a red winter hat that I can turn inside out when it's spring
Jessica
More strange and existential than the others, this might be my favorite. The meditations on winter and the nature of the creatures that choose to dwell in the cold and dark were gorgeous. And though much of this was lost on my children, the 7YO seemed to appreciate the melancholy and loneliness of Moomintroll being the only one of his family awake, while the 3YO liked the little moments with Little My or the skiing hemulen.

Re-read-aloud 2015: The kids and I loved this again. So odd and dreamy, a
Jun 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anna, Stella, Destinee
Moomin wakes up from his hibernation, but it is still winter! He discovers a whole "new" world. This one is really fun and the some of the illustrations are very cool.
Deborah O'Carroll
A good wintry tale, another fun Moomin story. :) Little My is the best. XD
Jinnie Stork
Mumintrollet vaknar alldeles för tidigt ur sitt ide, och blir så den enda i mumindalens tystnas som ser och går på snön. Men så träffar han flera varelser som inte brukar bo där om sommaren, och några andra verkar ha svårt att sova denna vinter. Medan Mumintrollet kämpar med att försöka komma underfund med vintern knyts vänskapsband och i kylan spirar en värmande givmildhet.

Jag blir mer och mer övertygad och Tove Janssons brillians ju fler Mumin-böcker som jag läser. Illustrationerna är som ska
Lusitarius
Tämä kirja se vain paranee jokaisella lukemiskerralla. Huomasin ajautuvani pienimuotoiseen flow-tilaan lukiessani tätä ääneen lapsilleni unisaduksi. Huomaamattani käytin kolminkertaisen ajan unisadun lukemiseen ja kirjaa hurahti kerralla eteenpäin kymmeniä sivuja. Sen se teettää, kun on mielestä lukemista.

Kirjassa kuvaillaan mielestäni oikein hienosti erilaisiin, itselle uusiin ja hieman epämiellyttäviin tilanteisiin joutumista. Muumipeikko herää kesken talviunen, ensimmäisenä muumina koko hänen
Jenni Joru
Muumi herää kesken unien. Koko muumilaakso on muuttunut oudoksi ja sitä kansoittaa otukset, jotka eivät näyttäydy kesällä. Tiskikaapin alla on joku, ja uimakoppi on Tuu-tikin ja kahdeksan näkymättömän päästäisen talo. Lisäksi talvella tuntuu vallitsevan eri säännöt, kuin kesällä.

Muumipeikko tuntee olonsa hirveän yksinäiseksi ja hämmentyneeksi. Kaunishäntäinen orava tulee herättäneeksi myös Pikku Myyn repimällä hänen makuupussistaan villaa pesäänsä varten. Toisin kuin Muumipeikko, Myy taas ottaa
Stora Läs Bok Vän...: December :: Trollvinter 26 6 Jan 06, 2013 07:37AM
  • Koirien Kalevala
  • Tiitiäisen satupuu
  • Sudenmorsian
  • Most Beloved Sister
  • Moomin: The Complete Lars Jansson Comic Strip, Vol. 6
  • Tove Jansson: sanat, kuvat, elämä
  • Pessi ja Illusia
  • Sinun lapsesi eivät ole sinun
  • Maa on syntinen laulu
  • The Unknown Soldier
  • Mielensäpahoittaja (Mielensäpahoittaja, #1)
  • Tainaron: Mail from Another City
  • Missä kuljimme kerran
  • Kätilö
  • Kuka murhasi rouva Skrofin?
  • Sonja O. kävi täällä
Tove Jansson was born and died in Helsinki, Finland. As a Finnish citizen whose mother tongue was Swedish, she was part of the Swedish-speaking Finns minority. Thus, all her books were originally written in Swedish.

Although known first and foremost as an author, Tove Jansson considered her careers as author and painter to be of equal importance.

Tove Jansson wrote and illustrated her first Moomin

Mumintrollen (9 books)
  • The Moomins and the Great Flood (The Moomins, #1)
  • Comet in Moominland (The Moomins, #2)
  • Finn Family Moomintroll (The Moomins, #3)
  • Moominpappa's Memoirs (The Moomins, #4)
  • Moominsummer Madness (The Moomins, #5)
  • Tales from Moominvalley (The Moomins, #7)
  • Moominpappa at Sea (The Moomins, #8)
  • Moominvalley in November (The Moomins, #9)
“All things are so very uncertain, and that's exactly what makes me feel reassured.” 127 likes
“There are such a lot of things that have no place in summer and autumn and spring. Everything that’s a little shy and a little rum. Some kinds of night animals and people that don’t fit in with others and that nobody really believes in. They keep out of the way all the year. And then when everything’s quiet and white and the nights are long and most people are asleep—then they appear.” 91 likes