Start by marking “The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume 2A” as Want to Read:
The Science Fiction Hall of Fame:  Volume 2A

The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume 2A (Science Fiction Hall of Fame #2A)

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  3,329 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, Volume One, honored the best of science fiction's early short stories. This volume is the definitive collection of the best science fiction novellas written between 1929 to 1964 and contains eleven great classics. There is no better anthology that captures the birth of science fiction as a literary field.

Published in 1973 to honor novellas
Published December 1st 2004 by Tor Books (first published January 1st 1973)

To ask other readers questions about The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Science Fiction Hall of Fame

Stephen
5.0 stars. I have not read all of the books in this collection but will comment on the ones I have:

Call Me Joe (Poul Anderson)(1957): 6.0 Stars (One of my All Time Favorite Stories). Outstanding story about exploring and terraforming the surface of Jupiter through the use of bio-mechanical life forms whose consciousness is controlled via remote control with researchers above the planet. A story of identity and quality of life.

The Marching Morons (C.M. Kornbluth)(1951): 5.0 to 5.5 Stars. Satirica
Williwaw
Aug 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Okay, so I cheated a bit. I did not re-read "The Time Machine," by H.G. Wells. I think I've probably read that story twice before and I've probably seen the excellent and faithful George Pal movie (1960)a couple times, as well. It is a good story and was worthy of inclusion in this book.

My favorite selection here is " . . . And Then There Were None," by Eric Frank Russell. This has got to be one of the most hilarious works of fiction that I have ever read. (If you love Vonnegut, my guess is tha
Cheryl
Aug 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to quibble: C'Mell is 20 pp, hardly a novella. This book didn't take long to read, as most stories were quite familiar to me from other anthologies. And some just don't hold up all that well. But as an introduction to some of the foundational & inspirational classics, it's quite good.
Bruce
Jul 18, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far:

"Call Me Joe" by Poul Anderson -- excellent

"Who's Out There?" by John W. Campbell -- Good page turner, interesting premise of a chameleon-like alien (the alien in Howard Hawks' classic horror film based on this story, The Thing, did not have this power), but a little too rushed and slapdash to be wholly convincing.

"Nerves" by Lester del Rey -- There's a good story here, but, as told, is rather a mess -- verbose, unorganized, with the technical aspects of the story (involving a Chernobyl-l
R.a.
Jun 24, 2016 rated it really liked it

Summary / Anthology Review:

A much belated “Congratulations” to the Science Fiction Writers of America, (SFWA), and editor Ben Bova for presenting Volume II, (A), The Science Fiction Hall of Fame anthology—eleven of the “Greatest Science Fiction Novellas of All Time.”

Every included work is enjoyable and affecting in its own way.

Particularly laudable is the process with which the separate works were chosen as Bova explains in his introduction: the basic vote. Further discernment for selec
Tracey
Nov 21, 2007 rated it really liked it
Comments/Reviews of the novellas in this anthology:

"Call Me Joe" - Poul Anderson. An artificial creature on the surface of Jupiter is psychically linked to a cripple in an orbiting spacestation. But who is controlling whom? Quite an enjoyable read.

"Who Goes There?" John W. Campbell Jr (as Don A. Stuart). A polar expedition discovers an alien - what happens when it is thawed? Meh - interesting concept, I guess - but the writing didn't really move me.

"Nerves" - Lester del Rey - A crisis at a nuc
Steven Peterson
Aug 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a treasure trove of older science fiction classic novellas. Authors here include such worthies as Poul Anderson, John Campbell, Jr., Lester del Rey, Robert Heinlein, C. M. Kornbluth, Henry Kuttner and C. L. Moore, Eric Frank Russell, Cordwainer Smith, Theodore Sturgeon (progenitor of Sturgeon's Law, "90% of everything is crud," if I recall accurately), H. G. Wells, and Jack Williamson. This volume was published originally in 1973 (the version, in fact, that I have).

Let's look at a coupl
Gavin Otteson
Oct 16, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of literature.
An anthology of epic proportions in both concept and literary execution. Volumes IIA and IIB are comprised of novellas instead of short stories like Vol. I which is why it is split into two sub-volumes. However it packs a serious punch and sits near the top of my recommendation list for anyone interested in fiction.
Taylor
Feb 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stories too long to be in Vol 1. This is for both 2a and 2b

My favorites:
2A:
Heinlein's "Universe"
Eric Frank Russel "... And then there were none"
Sturgeon "Baby is Three"

2B:
Asimov "The martian way"
Blish "Earthman Come Home"
Vance "The Moon Moth"
Charles
Jul 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
These are mostly of novella length rather than short stories, including "Who Goes There," the story that was filmed as "The Thing."

Great collection.
Susanna - Censored by GoodReads
Some stories are better than others; but as a whole, a strong collection. My favorites include "The Ballad of Lost C'Mell," by Cordwainer Smith, and "Baby is Three," by Ted Sturgeon.
Nihal Vrana
Nov 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I have enjoyed the first volume more, but this was a treat too. Except 2-3 weak stories, it is masterpiece after masterpiece.
Call Me Joe · Poul Anderson : A better version of Rogue Moon and an expansion of the "running video" in Strange Days.

Who Goes There? [as by Don A. Stuart] · John W. Campbell, Jr.: the second most famous story in the collection after Time machine and the inspiration for the famous "The Thing" movie which I should watch sometime. It has some plotholes, but the atmosphere and
Rasheed
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Call Me Joe (1957) by Poul Anderson 5/5
Who Goes There? (1938) John W. Campbell 5/5
Nerves (1942) by Lester del Rey 5/5
Universe (1941) by Robert A. Heinlein 5/5 1st part of Orphans of the Sky - 2nd part equally enjoyable
The Marching Morons (1951) by C. M. Kornbluth 3/5
Vintage Season (1946) by Henry Kuttner & C.L. Moore 3/5
...And Then There Were None (1951) by Eric Frank Russell 4/5
The Ballad of Lost C'Mell (1962) by Cordwainer Smith 3/5
Baby Is Three (1952) by Theodore Sturgeon 5/5
The Time Mach
Michael Tildsley
This is another mixed bag of sorts. There are some really wonderful novellas in this collection, but also a fair share of clinkers. Some were clinkers for me personally because I first experienced them in a more entertaining media, such as "Who Goes There?" (which John Carpenter handled very well in his remake of The Thing) and "The Time Machine" (which I personally feel was handled better in both movie adaptations, because the time-traveler has more to gain or lose in his travels).

My favorites
Craig
Aug 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is another collection of true classics. H.G. Wells, one of Heinlein's best, one of Eric Frank Russell's best, terrific stories from Cordwainer Smith and Poul Anderson, the Campbell story that became famous films, stories by Lester Del Rey and Jack Williamson that were better than their longer novel versions... Classic stuff!
Steven Peterson
Jun 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another set of terrific works, this time novellas, in the Science Fiction Hall of Fame. Ben Bova edited this volume. Some of nthe classics that I have enjoyed immensely that are included: Isaac Asimov, "The Martian Way," Algis Budrys, "Rogue Moon," Frederik Pohl, "The Midas Plague," and Jack Vance's "The Moon Moth."

A fine collection of novellas. . . .
James Hurley
Feb 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a nice collection of some of the early works of some of the great masters of Sci Fi. My former instructor and mentor Jack Williamson is in this one, and it was one of my first readings of his work. A fun look back.
David
Jan 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book of science fiction writing. All of the stories are very good.
Stephanie "Jedigal"
Jul 18, 2010 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stephanie "Jedigal" by: Got it at the 2010 Book Fair w/Beth, Em
Shelves: sci-fi
Volume II (at least two parts, A and B) is "The Greatest Science Fiction Novellas of All Time".
DaughterDaDa
Classic science fiction stories that defined the genre.
Mark
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
My own favorite story is "Mimsy Were the Borogoves". "X-logic" helped me toward a greater understanding of algebra! Well for a while, at least.
Also check out "Macroscopic God"...
Nicholas Bobbitt
Although the idea of this collection is a solid one, I don't particularly enjoy many of the stories. The real saving grace of the book is its inclusion of "The Time Machine", which is my favorite of the 11 novellas.
Call Me Joe - Poul Anderson - 2
Vintage Season - Henry Kuttner and C. L. Moore - 2
… And Then There Were None - Eric Frank Russell - 3
The Balla
SHUiZMZ
A very enjoyable book overall,, but H. G. Wells' The Time Machine and Jack Williamson's With Folded Hands were my favorites. 📖📖📕📕
Mike
Sep 06, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Call Me Joe by Poul Anderson: (2.5) Interesting story. Although I found the ending predictable, I liked the journey to get there.

Who Goes There? by John W. Campbell (as Don A. Stuart): (3.5) This to me is classic SF, big scary monsters or is that classic horror?

One of the things that I find dates this is not the technology but the attitudes. The alien is ugly so it must be bad. I think a modern story would have made less of its looks.

As a story it has some nice twists and turns and the ultimat
Alex
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthology, sci-fi
This volume was published in 1973 to honor the best novellas and novelettes published prior to the inception of the Nebula Awards in 1964, as judged by a poll of the members of the Science Fiction Writers of America. The selected works fill two volumes; this is the first. It contains 11 novellas, from "The Time Machine" by H. G. Wells to "The Ballad of Lost C'Mell" by Cordwainer Smith. Standouts to me were Heinlein's "Universe", Kuttner and Moore's "Vintage Season", and Sturgeon's "Baby Is Three ...more
Bruce Delaplain
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to Rasheed for setting up this nice review format...

Call Me Joe (1957) by Poul Anderson 3/5
Who Goes There? (1938) John W. Campbell 4/5 (#1 vote getter from SFWA)
Nerves (1942) by Lester del Rey 4/5 (loved it a long time ago. Not as much now)
Universe (1941) by Robert A. Heinlein 5/5 (Great story, especially for young people)
The Marching Morons (1951) by C. M. Kornbluth 2/5 (well written, but extremely distasteful resolution).
Vintage Season (1946) by Henry Kuttner & C.L. Moore 5/5 (Uniq
Foxtower
Apr 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: entertainment
Wonderful! Volumes I,IIA and IIB of this series set the standard for excellent science fiction short stories. Like a first love, these volumes become the standard which all other short story collections are compared to, and found wanting. The stories are dated yet timeless. Truly great literature and a wonderful addition to any library..
Garrett Mccutcheon
Dec 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
A great collection of science fiction novellas. While no list of "must-read" books will ever be comprehensive or totally agreeable, this volume hits upon a number of real treats, many of which will be unfamiliar to young readers. I believe, however, that it is important to read these once-groundbreaking originals if only for a better appreciation of where the genre has its roots.
Vivian
Aug 29, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While some science fiction anthologies can be hit-or-miss, this one is weighted on the side of a hit. Most of the stories were had something to say, and were interesting enough that I was thinking about them for days after reading, which in my mind is a plus. Some seemed dated, but on the whole the collection was surprisingly fresh and current, even thought the stories dated from 1929 to 1964.
Goodreads Librari...: Please correct titles 3 11 Jul 17, 2017 04:22AM
  • The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume 1 (Science Fiction Hall of Fame, #1)
  • The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume III: The Nebula Winners
  • The Solaris Book of New Science Fiction
  • The Space Opera Renaissance
  • Platinum Pohl: The Collected Best Stories
  • Tales of Ten Worlds
Ben Bova was born on November 8, 1932 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. In 1953, while attending Temple University, he married Rosa Cucinotta, they had a son and a daughter. He would later divorce Rosa in 1974. In that same year he married Barbara Berson Rose.

Bova is an avid fencer and organized Avco Everett's fencing club. He is an environmentalist, but rejects Luddism.

Bova was a technical writer fo
More about Ben Bova...

Science Fiction Hall of Fame (5 books)
  • The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume 1 (Science Fiction Hall of Fame, #1)
  • The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume II B (The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, #2B)
  • The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume III: The Nebula Winners