Start by marking “The Ten-Day MBA : A Step-By-Step Guide To Mastering The Skills Taught In America's Top Business Schools” as Want to Read:

A updated guide to mastering MBA jargon, theory, and skills. Features chapters on finance, marketing, accounting, strategy, quantitative analysis, operations, economics, organisational behaviour, and ethics, all revised to reflect the contemporary corporate culture and economic climate.
Paperback, 3rd edition, 420 pages
Published August 23rd 2005 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1993)

Start your review of The Ten-Day MBA : A Step-By-Step Guide To Mastering The Skills Taught In America's Top Business Schools
Thomas Walker
Jan 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have my MBA and this book is a great reference source. Courses are taught in an MBA program in a way that feels like you are trying to drink from a fire hydrant. There is so much information thrown at you that retention is at a minimum. You do not need an MBA to read or understand this book. Written for a broad audience with differing academic backgrounds.
Mckinley
Apr 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, economy
Days with exercise for:
1 - marketing (consumer analysis, market analysis, competitive analysis, distribution channel analysis, develop marking mix, determine the economics, revise)
2 - ethics (relativism and stakeholder analysis) to make aware of ethical implications of business decisions
3 - accounting (rules and concepts, financial statements, ratio analysis {liquidity, capitalization, activity and profitability}, managerial accounting)
4 - organizational behavior (problem-solving, motivation, le
Gyuri
Nov 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
It was a great quick overview of MBA studies. I recommend this book to everyone who wants to get closer to understanding how business works.
Stephen Heiner
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
As I was reading the book, I thought to myself, is this boring because it's MBA stuff, or am I bored because I'm an MBA and I already studied this stuff? Conclusion: it's both.

You can't make MBA material interesting. I've written elsewhere that there are just certain required courses you have to take (https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/201407...) and only a few that are really inspiring. And if you want to take those inspiring classes, just take them. Skip getting the expensive degree.

I also think t
Diego
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent prep review, fairly wide ranging on topics you likely will encounter during MBA courses. Not very in depth on examples though in regards to Finance and Accounting. Still a good start to get your head in the right place.
Christopher Litsinger
meh.
I’m pretty sure I’m not going to retain much of what I read; it’s simply too fast. A 30 page summary of quantitative analysis? Nope. Silbiger only has to make the space to make super quick statements without follow-up, such as when describing the Keynesian relationship: “It was especially true in the period between 1950 and 1985, but it has not been consistently so over time, such as the period since 1985.” What exactly is that saying? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ You’ll have to find your own answers to many s
Yap
Jul 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best business book I have ever read! This book covers the essence of a MBA atthe world's top universities like Harvard and Stanford.Its content ranges from marketing to finance and even basic business law. Suitable for those wanting to pursue a MBA or even graduates who want to review what they have learnt in the fast-paced two year MBA course.
Ronald Rajagukguk
Aug 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book is a must read for those of you who still deciding whether to take a MBA degree or not. here Steven describe the 10 main thing that you'll learn on MBA classes. don't expect something deep inside this book. all the chapter in this book only talk about a topic in general. overall this book is excelent there is a lot of diagram and real world case study. so it will be easy to read
Lori Grant
A should-read book on systems and planning for knowledge workers, managers, executives, and entrepreneurs.
Arnab Padhi
well, it's not a "step by step guide" to anything, rather it is 2 years of MBA teaching compressed into 10 pages, so don't expect much. At best it is an abridged handbook of MBA studies and at worst it is a 10 minute over the top introduction to what you are gonna learn in MBA schools.
If you are really serious about MBA then go for online videos which will have more to offer and if you just wanna know the different branches of MBA studies then this book might help.

Heba Al Anzi
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s a great book for those who don’t have a business background and plan on starting an MBA program. It summarizes the important topics in the simplest form. People who already have a business background won’t feel the value of this book.
Elaine
Feb 12, 2013 marked it as to-read
Compendium of well-known theories and techniques of accounting, finance, operations, economics, and strategy.

This book is in the library.
Doug McColgin
Sep 14, 2018 rated it liked it
The subheader promises a lot for this book, but in reality, the deliverable falls a bit short. The author himself even shares that the material isn't truly a substitute for an MBA, but rather a primer or reference guide for many of the concepts covered in business school.

I personally found the book useful, especially as a refresher for my business school undergrad classes, of which many are but dusty memories in the back of my mind. The usefulness of the book is in it's high-level explanations o
Ram Pragadish
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was procrastinating to read this book for full two months before finally settling down with it. Initially, I had a bias that the topics would be too complex for me to understand.But once i started with the book,it was relatively easy to get a grab at the topics. The experience was like one of my closest friends who graduated from a business school sat me down and gave an overview on the subjects and core skills crucial to a MBA.

Overall, i recommend that everyone read it to get an general under
Zainah
Jun 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: better-than-mba
The first book I struggled with for nearly 6 months!
I should have known that this is a god-sent-sign that MBA is not my calling
and here I am after suffering for 6 months -from MBA course not the book!- I finished the book and dropped out of MBA(CHEERS :D)

Juste
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
To me this book reaches its goal. I like it, it gives a clear and good overview, very pleasant to read.
It may be a good starting point for others readings if you need or feel like going deeper into some mba specific skills.
Ryan
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a fun, tongue in cheek primer to the information taught over the course of a formal business education. Obviously abbreviated, I found a lot of interesting and useful information that I believe I can quickly and easily apply! 10/10
Raul
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book

I’d say the return on investment is pretty good. This book gave me the info I needed about business management and has pointed me to numerous relevant references. I would recommend.
Tom Mcquillen
Reading a few months prior to MBA, to be honest feels pretty dated. Might be good as a refresher for those who have done one, but not sure there's enough depth here to take away any real action / insights.
James K Worswick
Surprisingly better than I'd expected. The information provided is straight forward and easy to comprehend (but remembering it all is a different subject).

I was very happy that it talked about the Net Present Value and the Discounted Cash Flow in this book.

If anything happens to my hard copy of this book, I am definitely buying another.
Ahmet
Apr 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you are planning to get enrolled in master's program, or you are just curious what this corportate management is all about, this book gives you an easy introduction with interesting stories and insights.
Tri Le
Comprehensive glimpse at the topics often taught at MBA schools. Good for a high level overview of business topics. A bit dry, but very useful reference.
Luke Johnson
Mar 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Reading this book made me happy I didn't go into business. I think I got a few lasting tidbits from it.
Katlego
Good beginners guide to understanding the curriculum that is taught. Can be explained to a child even, well at least a child in grade 10.
Anurag Gupta
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good book for an MBA overview. It was interesting.
Patricio Redruello
Good overview of many different concepts
Sai Bharath
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
it answers the question what is mba? and talks about stuff they teach in B schools. i don't think it can be simplified further. If you're an MBA aspirant then it is a good read for you.
KA.TE
Nov 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Decent overview of the MBA curriculum.
Andrew
Apr 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
A good, simple, broadly focused book on basic business principles. I re-read it every couple years to re-focus on some things. We lose track of basics over time.
Supermanoo
Honestly i skipped some parts that I’m not interested knowing about at the moment
I don’t think I picked the right time to read this book..
« previous 1 3 next »
Any MBAs read this book before starting their program? 2 30 Jul 19, 2013 04:47PM

• The Personal MBA: Master the Art of Business
  • Financial Intelligence for Entrepreneurs: What You Really Need to Know About the Numbers
  • Executive Presence: What Nobody Ever Tells You about Getting Ahead
  • Simple Numbers, Straight Talk, Big Profits!: 4 Keys to Unlock Your Business Potential
  • The New Rules of Marketing & PR: How to Use Social Media, Online Video, Mobile Applications, Blogs, News Releases, & Viral Marketing to Reach Buyers Directly
  • Rooms
  • Operations Management (Irwin Operations/Decision Sciences)
  • The Unwritten Laws of Business
  • Traction
  • Complete MBA For Dummies
  • Good Economics for Hard Times: Better Answers to Our Biggest Problems
  • Case in Point: Complete Case Interview Preparation
  • Popular Economics: What the Rolling Stones, Downton Abbey, and LeBron James can teach you about economics
  • Victims for Sale