Start by marking “Hilary Knight's the Twelve Days of Christmas” as Want to Read:
Hilary Knight's the Twelve Days of Christmas

Hilary Knight's the Twelve Days of Christmas

An all-new adaptation of a familiar Christmas classic featuring lovable Benjamin Bear as the gift-giver and his sweetheart Bedelia. Full-color illustrations throughout.
Published January 1st 1981 by MacMillan Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Hilary Knight's the Twelve Days of Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hilary Knight's the Twelve Days of Christmas

Start your review of Hilary Knight's the Twelve Days of Christmas
Abigail
Nov 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hilary Knight Fans / Readers Looking for Picture-Book Retellings of This Carol
The classic carol, The Twelve Days of Christmas, is given the Hilary Knight "treatment" in this charming holiday picture-book, in which Benjamin Bear brings his love Bedelia a series of (twelve) fantastic gifts. From the traditional "partridge in a pear tree," to the somewhat less common "eight maids-a-milking" - represented here as kitties! - each gift sees Benjamin closer to Bedelia's doorstep. Finally, the two are together, and Bedelia is able to unveil her innovative solution to the question ...more
Jacqueline
Book title and author/illustrator:
The Twelve Days of Christmas by Hilary Knight’s

Professional Review #1:
Susan Hepler, Ph.D. (Children's Literature )
Newly separated color art illustrates this reissue of Knight's 1980 playful Christmas offering. A country bear who lives in a modest cabin delivers gifts to his lady love Bedelia who lives in a big mansard-roofed house. While she goes about her holiday decorating, the birds, dancers, pipers and so forth pile up in their various locations until a
Jeremy
An extra star, just because it's Christmas. Some of the days are different:
12 lords a-leaping
2 turtle doves
1 partridge in a pear tree
Kat
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh so cute and fun and the raccoon. The raccoon! So much fun. I also enjoyed that the author acknowledged that there should be 12 partridges, 24 turtle doves, 36 french hens...the ending was also fun. Just wonderful.
Staci
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the illustrations. Childhood favorite.
Monica Loftus
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a good book about the classic Christmas song about the twelve days of Christmas. This book is beautifully illustrated.
Emma Pruett
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Book to read around Christmas.
Jean Doolittle
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the illustrations and the love story they tell!
Katie Green
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
This was a classic Christmas book that would be alright to use in some classrooms but not all.
Beth
Dec 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture
best part was the raccoon thief!
Kindle
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hobby
Favorite childhood book.
Tweller83
Super cute and one where you can ask your grandchild what is going on in the picture and never really read the story, but even if you have to read the story it is short and sweet and is the song so everyone knows it. I love this book!

#TisTheSeasonaThon - read a book that has to do with music and read a book with snow on the cover.
#TheBookieTrials - demonic residue (magical creatures) - I know; really, really stretching this one!
HeavyReader
Dec 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of super cuteness
This is another Christmas book from my childhood.

It's the traditional "The Twelve Days of Christmas Song" paired up with lovely pictures. An anthropomorphic bear giving the presents to his bear lady love. (I just found out a female bear is called a sow, just like a pig. A male is a boar.) It's the super cute illustrations that make this book worth reading.

My very favorite part is the supporting character raccoon cat (ha!) burglar trying to open a tightly closed trash can.
Anne Hagen
Dec 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Text is the classic Christmas song, but the pictures are really cute and add detail to the lyrics. Benjamin Bear is wooing Bedalia Bear with gifts. We loved seeing what Bedalia was up to and what she did with her gifts. From day 4 on, the kids loved trying to find Reggie Raccoon and tracking his battle with the trash can. My chief complaint was that I like saying "Five Golden Rings" not "Gold Rings" and I wasn't sure about "Ten Fiddlers Fiddling". Is that really right????
Amanda
A little different than the version I think is standard, but the illustrations are cute (especially if you follow what's going on in the background). My son loves stories which are sung, so he wanted this one "read" again right after finishing it.
Judy
An original spin on a familiar song. What would someone do if presented with all of the gifts that a suitor bestows on his true love? This bear has a solution that fits the season. (This is by the artist who illustrated the Eloise stories.)
Stacy
May 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite Christmas books of all time. The intricate pictures with their many elements. Each page has so many things for you to find. I used to sit for hours with this book.
Madison
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the detailed pictures with small stories being represented.
Sharon Lawler
Love the artwork in this particular edition! Used it regularly when doing Christmas music theme for story time.
Gillian
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas
One of our favorite Christmas books - the illustrations are so sweet and there are fun things to find on each page.
Meg McGregor
A very cute version of the familiar Christmas tune.

Lexi and I especially enjoyed seeing the eight maids-a-milking. They were the cutest cats ever!
May 21, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: seasonal-holiday
Don't care for the song but I love Hillary Knight's artwork.
Kristine Hansen
Apr 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Playful and clever, we take how most children think of the song "The Twelve Days of Christmas" and really run with it. Really enjoyed this story!
Mckinley
Mar 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice animal critters used in illustrating the lines of this carol.
Katie
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Little Drummer Mouse
  • Little Blue Truck's Christmas
  • The Broken Ornament
  • We Are Growing! (Elephant & Piggie like reading!, #2)
  • Bear Stays Up for Christmas
  • Olivia and the Fairy Princesses
  • Room on the Broom
  • Just Josie and the Perfect Day!
  • Volcanoes!
  • Under the Ground
  • Hop On Pop
  • If You Give a Dog a Donut
  • My Dog Talks
  • Pete's Big Lunch (Pete the Cat: I Can Read)
  • Little Critter: Snowball Soup
  • Fox on a Box
  • My Weird School: Talent Show Mix-Up
  • Dr. Seuss: The Great Doodler
Hilary Knight writes, "I attribute any abilities I possess to the fact that both my parents are artists and writers. My father, Clayton Knight, is well-known for his aviation paintings and books. My mother, Katharine Sturges, has done fashion drawings, fabric designs as well as many children's books" (The Horn Book, 1968).

Born in Hempstead, Long Island, New York, in 1926. Childhood spent on Long