Start by marking “White Lotus: An Explanation of the Seven-line Prayer to Guru Padmasambhava” as Want to Read:
White Lotus: An Explanation of the Seven-line Prayer to Guru Padmasambhava

White Lotus: An Explanation of the Seven-line Prayer to Guru Padmasambhava

The commentary translated in these pages is unusual and rare. But if the commentary is a rarity, its subject matter—the seven-line invocation of Padmasambhava—is one of the best-known prayers in the Tibetan Buddhist world.

The overall significance of the Seven-Line Prayer is perhaps best appreciated in relation to a practice called guru-yoga, or "union with the nature of th
Published December 11th 2007 by Shambhala

To ask other readers questions about White Lotus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about White Lotus

Start your review of White Lotus: An Explanation of the Seven-line Prayer to Guru Padmasambhava
Zuzi
Jul 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
We are very lucky to have this kind of text in English. Originally written in Tibetan by a great buddhist master of realization, this book is regarded as rather secret and not in common use amongst Tibetan buddhist scholars, as it's classed among "higher level" texts, which (I agree) can be understood and appreciated only by those with some training in basics of the Tibetan buddhist thought. I recommend it to every such person. Needless to say it's a must-read for any follower of the teachings o ...more
Mckinley
May 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Padmasambhava, Guru Rinpoche, was a historical teacher who is said to have finally converted Tibet to Buddhism. Hence the multiple references to the Tibetan language in this text and how they impact the Dharma teaching and mediation.

Wonderful explanation of the Seven Line Prayer (which is part of a longer verse) and how it contains practices to ensure the fastest and surest way to enlightenment covering the literal meaning along with several additional explanations for the path of liberation, sk
Landon Shaw
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A well translated and concise commentary on the varying levels of understanding encapsulated within this short, daily prayer.
Riobhcah
Sep 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. What a wonderful explanation of my favourite prayer on many different levels -- from the literal meaning to the esoteric and cosmic. I would highly recommend this to anyone who would like to learn more about Guru Rinpoche and the meaning of the Seven-line Prayer or for someone who would like to learn more about Tibetan Buddhism.
George K. Ilsley
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classic, spiritual, tibet
A classic text, both simple and profound. Someone could study this little book for the rest of their lives, and get something more out of it each time they bring more to it. Since my understanding is very shallow and spotty, much escaped me. I can only hope I managed to absorb a little.

Should I say "Vajra Guru Padma" or "Benzar Guru Pema" ? That is my big question of the day.
Riku
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very nice book! :)
A.B. McFarland
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What I could understand of this was awesome and mind-expanding, but I'll be the first to admit that some of it went clear over my head. I'd like to read it again in a few years.
Karen Stone
Jul 07, 2020
oliver creech
May 24, 2017
Katie Wells
rated it did not like it
Jul 21, 2019

• Ignited Minds: Unleashing the Power Within India
  • The Guide
  • All Adults Here
  • Writers & Lovers
  • Maybe You Should Talk to Someone: A Therapist, Her Therapist, and Our Lives Revealed
  • Democratic Transition in Bhutan: Political Contests as Moral Battles
  • Until My Freedom Has Come: The New Intifada In Kashmir
  • The Smiling Moon
  • The Lightness
  • A Man in Full
  • The English Major
  • The End is Always Near: Apocalyptic Moments, from the Bronze Age Collapse to Nuclear Near Misses
  • The Social Lives of Dogs: The Grace of Canine Company
  • Insignificant Others
  • Jonathan Unleashed
  • Leap Year
  • My Ex-Life
Ju Mipham Rinpoche (Tibetan ཇུ་མི་ཕམ་, Wylie 'ju mi pham) or Jamgön Mipham Gyatso (འཇམ་མགོན་མི་ཕམ་རྒྱ་མཚོ་, 'jam mgon mi pham rgya mtsho) was a great Nyingma master and writer of the 19th century, student of Jamgön Kongtrul, Jamyang Khyentsé Wangpo and Patrul Rinpoche.

Like all Tibetan authors, Mipham Rinpoche uses several names in the colophons to his works, which may then be rendered into English

Related Articles

“Primordial wisdom [Skt. jñāna; Tib. ཡེ་ཤེས་, yeshé; Wyl. ye shes] has many names, but in truth it refers simply to the inseparability of the ground and fruit, the one and only essence-drop [thig le nyag gcig] of the dharmakaya. If it is assessed from the standpoint of its utterly pure nature, it is the actual dharmakaya, primordial Buddhahood. For, from its own side, it is free from every obscuration. We must understand that we are Buddha from the very beginning. Without this understanding, we will fail to recognize the spontaneously present mandala of the ground, and we will be obliged to assert, in accordance with the vehicle of the paramitas, that Buddhahood has a cause. We will fail to recognize the authentic view of the Secret Mantra.” 3 likes