Start by marking “"What's Happening to Me?" A Guide to Puberty” as Want to Read:
"What's Happening to Me?" A Guide to Puberty

"What's Happening to Me?" A Guide to Puberty

Discusses the mental and physical changes that take place during puberty.
Published August 1st 1989 by Carol Publishing Group (first published January 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about "What's Happening to Me?" A Guide to Puberty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about "What's Happening to Me?" A Guide to Puberty

Start your review of "What's Happening to Me?" A Guide to Puberty
Rachel
Jun 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: preteens and their parents
This was a great book - the illustrations were hilarious. I read this book as an awkward preteen who was embarrassed about everything, but the humor of this book really helped me get through awkwardness of puberty. I'm sure some people would be offended by the frankness of the book, but it's not vulgar at all. And kids need to know about this stuff - and this book can help kids not take themselves so seriously.
Rileigh
Jan 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
I didn’t like how it mentioned that a girl’s breasts are for male pleasure. That is not their purpose and not what they are there for. It encourages the sexual objectification of girls and is by no way charming.
Alisa
May 13, 2011 rated it did not like it
Thought this would be a great book to discuss puberty with my 10 year old, since I loved the authors book about where babies come from. TOTALLY disagreed with the authors on two pages about the big M word. I know everyone had different views on the subject, but the author's view that everyone does it so "let it make you feel good, not guilty" was DEFINITELY not for me and my children.
Lynley
Aug 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
How da fuck does this have such a high star rating? My ten year old found it on our bookshelf. I don't remember reading it myself but I kept our family's childhood books. My daughter happened to leave it on the coffee table upside down and I noticed it had been created by three dudes in the 70s. Something -- not sure what! -- made me check it myself to see it if was terrible.

Yeah, it was terrible. It was terrible in the most terrible of ways, and not just because of 1970s heteronormativity. We n
Lorissa
Aug 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I remember this book clearly, almost to the page! It's been about 20 years since I read it....so it had an impact. Just after having "the talk", my parents gave me the book to consult if I had more questions. I studied every page, giggled over some of them with my cousins, and really got a lot of info from it.
Suzanne
Bought this for my son when he was that "age" and it became a topic immortalized in family lore. One of those "failed" parental moments. I thought it was good. The kids were mortified and still make fun of me for it. You can't win.
Kat
Mar 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ehhhh
This made talking with my son so much easier. Oh, it just was a godsend. In a gentle and witty matter, it covers all the bases in a manner that any young adult will find reassuring.
Radiolab
John says this book "is full of hilarious and on-the-nose artwork and facts about always silly, often embarrassing universal experience that is puberty. From acne and smells to a whole page of how boobs can be totally different shapes, it made adolescents everywhere feel more comfortable in their skins while going through what might be the weirdest part of life. In the age before youtube, books like this were truly special."
Carline
Apr 09, 2016 rated it did not like it
Horrible book. Maybe when it came out in 1975 it was useful but the language and content intended for preadolescent boys today is simply useless. I pretty much shock my head the entire time I was reading it. It is obvious a man wrote it. I wouldn't have my son or daughter read this.
Lauren
Aug 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
everything you want to know about Provence in one convenient location
Maki
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Explains changes to your body as a teen. Great book with cartoon images.
Jeff Silvester
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great to help have the talk with kids
Cindy
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent text for young children entering puberty.
Sammy
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How would I have survived my teenage years without this book?
Lilly Smith
I was like ten or nine when my mum got this book for me. I read it a while ago, but I didn't really remember it so I re-read it the other day. It's a very good book. It taught me a lot about puberty and alot of other things...
Top Cat =^_^=
Jan 19, 2016 rated it liked it
This is very helpful with talking to your child about their body and what to expect.

Read the book first so you can choose what you want to read with them as it talks about the body as well as the hormones and feelings they may be feeling and how to manage that.

This book made my conversation with my child a lot easier than what I originally going to have with them. I highly recommend this book to parents that may be a bit nervous talking about this close and personal topic with their child/childr
Lauren
Jul 27, 2008 rated it liked it
This is a very funny book with great illustrations. I had this book as a kid. I remember my mother bought it for me, put it in the hall cupboard, and said she would leave it there should I ever have a question too embarrassing to ask. Needless to say, I was too embarrassed to ever take it out of the cupboard.
Katie
May 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
My Mom bought this for me when I was a tween, and I loved it - it's funny, the illustration are great, and it explains puberty and your body's changes really well.

However, my sister & I both had the same experience when we bought this book for our sons - neither of them would read it! It's been sitting on my son's bookshelf for over a year - untouched! Maybe it's a boy thing?
Ruskanen
Jun 27, 2014 rated it liked it
This morning, somewhere between sleep and wake my mind was remembering this book. I believe it was provided to my older brother and me in lieu of "the talk". Remember the funny cartoons, photos and graphics of not only this book, but its prequel "Where Did I Come From?" makes me giggle.
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
I pored over these pictures when I was a kid. I think I did find it very helpful to have this around when I was growing up. As with "Where Did I Come From?" I think this is a great starting point for parents to have a discussion about sex and puberty.
Stephanie
Mar 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Thanks Mom!
HeavyReader
Jun 21, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: kids about to hit puberty and their parents
This is a cool guide to the changes of puberty illustrated mostly with funny cartoons.
Jenny Wikoff
Aug 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who are approaching puberty
This was a big help, back in the day. I think it was a hand-me-down from my cousins!
Jennifer Wells
Aug 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All pre-teens
Without this indispensable guide, I would have been lost through my puberty. My poor Mom was never consulted after the bra incident and no one else wanted to talk about what was happening.
Karen L.
Feb 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Boys age 12
Shelves: homeschool
This book is good for explaining puberty to boys in a decent way, with humor. It also explains the act of sex in a tasteful, yet funny way.
Helen
Jul 01, 2008 rated it liked it
Not as good as Where Did I Come From but still helpful. By the time I read this I already knew all the info inside though.
MT
Nov 02, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: referring-books
i read it. it helps.
Allison Marsh
Feb 01, 2009 rated it liked it
Another helpful parenting book. Jordyn thought the illustrations in this book were really goofy.
Aimee
Jun 23, 2009 rated it liked it
This was my parents idea of our book about the birds and the bees. makes me laugh to think about it to this day
Ashley
Aug 05, 2009 rated it liked it
Instead of having "the talk" I got a book! Good times! SIKE.

• It's Perfectly Normal: A Book about Changing Bodies, Growing Up, Sex, and Sexual Health
  • Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH (Rats of NIMH, #1)
  • It's So Amazing!: A Book about Eggs, Sperm, Birth, Babies, and Families
  • Taronga
  • Golden in Death (In Death, #50)
  • Don't Get Angry, Annie (You Choose!)
  • The Far Side Gallery
  • How to Eat Fried Worms
  • Hildafolk (Hilda, #1)
  • Mother-Daughter Wisdom: Understanding the Crucial Link Between Mothers, Daughters, and Health
  • The PreHistory of The Far Side: A 10th Anniversary Exhibit
  • Amazing You: Getting Smart About Your Private Parts
  • The Joy of Sex
  • Our Bodies, Ourselves for the New Century
  • It's Not the Stork!: A Book About Girls, Boys, Babies, Bodies, Families and Friends
  • What's the Big Secret?: Talking about Sex with Girls and Boys
  • Dr. Patrick Walsh's Guide to Surviving Prostate Cancer
  • The Lucky One (Main Theme): Piano Solo, Sheet
Peter Mayle (born June 14, 1939, in Brighton) was a British author famous for his series of books detailing life in Provence, France. He spent fifteen years in advertising before leaving the business in 1975 to write educational books, including a series on sex education for children and young people. In 1989, A Year in Provence was published and became an international bestseller. His books have ...more