Start by marking “Show Stopper (Peter Brichter, #5)” as Want to Read:
Show Stopper (Peter Brichter, #5)

Show Stopper

(Peter Brichter #5)

When Kori Brichter took her horses to the Fourth Annual Lafite Class-A All-Arabian Horse Show, she wasn’t expecting murder. But the next morning, an unpopular horse trainer is found dead in one of her stalls, and her 18-year-old groom is the prime suspect. Convinced of the groom’s innocence, she sets out to solve the crime herself.
Published August 1st 1993 by Diamond Books (NY) (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Show Stopper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Show Stopper

Start your review of Show Stopper (Peter Brichter, #5)
Doward Wilson
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful characters and horses make this a great murder mystery.
Clare O'Beara
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a nice story from the point of view of describing an Arabian Horse show, or the early part of it, held in America. A murder occurs overnight and it's wrapped up rather quickly without too much tiresome forensic evidence. We get a lot of gossip about people doing bad things to horses in the hope of winning prizes and prestige. I'm pleased that we don't see much of this appalling behaviour.

Despite the series title, the male detective stays at home for most of the tale and his wife takes u
Abigail Stutzman
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, horses, have-own
Cons:
A few times swear words were used.
Pros:
Great and interesting story. Good mystery.
Sharon Michael
Jul 07, 2013 rated it liked it
A readable cozy mystery set behind the scenes in the Arab horse show world. The plotting was fairly straightforward and the characters weren't developed as much as I'd have preferred. For me, the accuracy of the horse show scene made up for any lacks otherwise, as I rarely find authors that do 'horses' well.
Suki Korp
May 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was pleasantly surprised. Since Dick Francis, it has been difficult to find a good author who writes about horses. I enjoyed the story and learning a bit about Arabians and the horse show circuit.
Doug Ward
Mar 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this murder mystery a horse trainer is murdered at a horse show at a county fairgrounds in Illinois. The victim has made a number of enemies, so there are several suspects. Detective Eleanor Ritter, who is put in charge of the case, has quite a puzzle to sort out, and she needs a crash course in the horse show subculture in order to solve the case.

This is the fifth and final book in a series about Peter Brichter, a detective in another town in Illinois, and his wife Katherine, who breeds cha
Ellen White
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nice beginning letting us know about the competition, and the horses she was bringing. How the horses are sensitive to the environment of what they are around, After getting there she witness first hand, that some tempers were flying and tension was thick. First I have read by author and enjoyed informative, and a murder quickly solved.
Rhondda Powling
This is the fifth in the Peter and Kori Brichter series and is a readable “cosy” mystery, set behind-the-scenes in the Arab horse show world and featuring many technical explanations about these fine horses.
Horse breeder Kori Brichter, her trainer Danny and their new 18 year-old groom Britany take their horses to the Fourth Annual Lafite County All Arabian Horse Show. Once they arrive they immediately become aware of tensions and hear gossip about a rival trainer Keith Bulward. After Kori sees
Anita
May 15, 2013 rated it liked it
I was not totally spellbound, but it held my interest. I like mysteries, which this definately is. But I don't know much about horses, horse shows, or their tools.

I found it unusual that the detective shows up so late in the story. Kori, Ritter, and the lawyer, had all developed suspects and theories ...... from which we knew "who-dun- it" way too early.
But the sign in the grocery window was a nice touch at the end.

this is the first, only, book I have read by this author. I may read more if t
Bea
I love horses, I love cozy mysteries, but this just failed to grab my interest.
Pat
Apr 04, 2019
Coventry
Oct 31, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Authors...: Mystery novel free on Kindle May 7-8 1 10 May 07, 2013 08:04AM

• Collateral Damage (Hannibal Jones, #3)
  • Courting Murder (Judge Rosswell Carew Series Book 1)
  • Aphrodite and the Rabbis: How the Jews Adapted Roman Culture to Create Judaism as We Know It
  • The Bargain
  • Downtown: My Manhattan
  • A Perfect Eye
  • 14th Deadly Sin (Women’s Murder Club, #14)
  • What's So Funny? (Dortmunder, #14)
  • The Spring Militia (Angie & Bernie Mystery Series Book 2)
  • A Dangerous Winter (Angie & Bernie Mystery Series Book 1)
  • Whiskey (Whiskey Sour, #1)
  • Teagan: Cowboy Strong  (The Kavanagh Brothers #1)
  • Final Witness
  • With This Ring (Windswept Bay, #6)
  • Get Real (Dortmunder, #15)
  • A Man Named Cully: (Cully the Bounty Hunter - Book 1)
  • What's The Worst That Could Happen? (Dortmunder, #9)
  • The Spy Who Couldn't Count
AKA Monica Ferris
AKA Margaret Frazer

Mary Monica Pulver (her maiden name) is an incidental Hoosier -- Terre Haute, Indiana, had the hospital closest to her parents' home in Marshall, Illinois. She spent the later part of her childhood and early adult life in Wisconsin, graduating from high school in Milwaukee. She was a journalist in the U.S. Navy for six and a half years (two in London), and later

Peter Brichter (5 books)
  • The Unforgiving Minutes (Peter Brichter, #1)
  • Murder at the War: A Modern-Day Mystery With a Medieval Setting (Peter Brichter, #2)
  • Ashes to Ashes  (Peter Brichter, #3)
  • Original Sin (Peter Brichter, #4)

News & Interviews

“There are two kind of people in the world: Those who smell horse and go 'pee-yew', and those who smell horse and go 'mmmmm'.” 2 likes