Start by marking “Preparing for Marriage” as Want to Read:
Preparing for Marriage

Preparing for Marriage

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  535 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
Preparing for Marriage, along with the accompanying Leader’s Guide, were developed to help engaged couples prepare for the important task of building a Christian marriage. This resource provides engaged couples opportunities to develop good communication skills and deal with issues of personal expectations, family histories, role responsibilities, communication, finances a ...more
Published October 17th 1997 by Gospel Light (first published October 1st 1997)

Eddie
Dec 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This makes a pretty substantial case for the necessity of looking at things God's way... Nobody knows how a thing works better than the manufacturer! As I read this, part of me wished this could be adapted somehow for people who aren't Christians, then I realized that there's no way to health and wholeness apart from submission to God, who made us and fashioned us for his purposes, covenant relationship being one of them. I agree with the person who said this isn't an "all-the-answers" book. It ...more
James
Feb 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Giving this book three stars does not mean I think it is "worse" than Gone Girl. In fact the protagonists of that novel could have tried reading it before they got married, though there is something incorrigible about them that doesn't inspire confidence. No, this gets three stars in relation to a rather different set of intellectual, moral and aesthetic fields.

What is it? Well, it is largely made up of questionnaires or worksheets designed to get people to reflect on themselves, their backgroun
Cherise
Sep 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Jordan and I went through this book before we were engaged - it was a great tool for us. Great conversation starter & interesting topics to think about that perhaps not all couples grapple with (but should) prior to tying the knot. We also went through it in a group/mentor setting that was very helpful, although it is set up so that a couple could do it alone.
Lee
Sep 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
So far so good, working through this book, its partially a workbook to go through with your future spouse
Parker Dalton
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marriage
Good book for marriage prep; I've used this book and the corresponding leaders guide for conducting pre-marital counseling for another couple. This is a very practical book and I found it to really helpful but I would also recommend additional resources in preparing for marriage as this book is a little light on how marriage and the designed roles of husband and wife are designed to mirror Christ's never ending love for the church.
Darius
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
2.5 stars. This book wasn't bad - it really was okay, in the strictest sense of the GR 2 star rating description. It's more of a workbook than a read, with a ton of pretty lengthy writing and interactive exercises throughout. Sarah and I found that in our pre-martial counseling sessions and through reading Tim & Kathy Keller's The Meaning of Marriage, many of the topics covered in this book (and more) were addressed. Because of that, we decided to not finish it.
Sam
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome pre marriage book. I highly recommend it for all couples. This book dives deep and will challenge you and your fiancé. The material was great, especially the couple projects you do in the book.
Tyler Hagen
Jun 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Disagreed with some points. But still enjoyed the steps they take you through.
Kelechi
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
i m still reading
Dakota Foster
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cheesy as all get out, but definitely prepared us for marriage by forcing us to discuss our expectations and talk about things we didn't even think about discussing!!!
Nicholas Varady-szabo
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Comprehensive, biblical and very practical. This is THE most helpful book I've come across for christian couples preparing for marriage.
Laurie
Jun 28, 2008 rated it it was ok
My uncle gave me this book for my now-husband and I to read before we got married. Well, we hemmed and hawed over it while trying to find a Christian marriage counselor but when we couldn't find one who would meet with us for free ($400?? no thanks) we decided to use this book as a substitute. Unfortunately, we do not have a conventional relationship and this book really didn't work for us. Most of the questions we had already figured out or talked about because they were the sort of thing that ...more
Kipahni
Jul 15, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: marital-bliss
If you have a conventional American Dating Relationship (and by this I mean you meet someone date them, telling a little about yourself each time you date to maintain a shroud of mystery) or you are in a Mysterious online relationship, then perhaps this book will help you for it is very thorough with the questions it asks that you should know about a mate before marrying them.
I however have always been unconventional and my relationship is the same in unconventionalness. So anyway, I found mysel
Mary
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Scott and I worked through these books before we got married (15 years ago!). I was 20, he was 22. While we were young and excited about married life, we also had some unrealistic expectations on what marriage really looks like. I really believe these books gave us the best start possible. A lot of couples have a tough first year of marriage, but honestly our first years of marriage were some of our best. I think in part to these books that we worked through. The book really opened up the lines ...more
Olivia
Jun 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Marriage is a bed of roses (just kiding). Like any garden it needs to be tilled and intentionally taken care of to become a bed of roses. Just as we study for a driving licence or different job certifications...so should we for marriage. No one is born knowing how to be married. Therefore all preparation ie. mentoring, pre-marital counseling is needed in order to make informed choices. This book is a well detailed BIBLICAL pre-marital tool with information on pertinent issues to discuss before m ...more
Aaron Loy
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My fiancé and I completed this book as part of our pre-marital counseling under the guidance of our Pastor. I highly recommend it for two simple reasons: 1. It spells out a biblical perspective on the roles/expectations in marriage, and 2. It forces you and your future bride/groom to discuss the "important" issues in marriage before you actually follow through with it. I highly recommend PREPARING for marriage instead of jumping right in. Sadly, this seems to be counter-culture in today's world.
Scott O'Neil
Dec 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
My Pastor used this book as our premarital counseling book, and I must say that I found it very helpful. There were a lot of good "check points" I would call them, that give insight in affirming the one you are about to marry as the one God has set before you. It brought up a wide variety of subjects, some of which I would not have thought of by myself or that I found in some other books that I had read on marriage. I would highly recommend this book for anyone who's about to get engaged or that ...more
Young-In Soh
Dec 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
I read this book w my then-boyfriend-now-husband. In my opinion, this book is a good introductory book about having a holy marriage to read w your future or present spouse. There were good points, but I did kind of want more from the book. The book is fairly short so it can be a fast read if you decide to breeze by, but I recommend taking your time and discussing each chapter w your partner. It definitely helped us. Has a lot of good realistic advice to adhere to.
Tammie
Jun 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is a must read for anyone about to enter marriage. It is also a excellent tool for those who are married. It gives you a clear understanding of the purpose of marriage from a bibical point, it explains the true roles of being a husband/wife from God's standards. I truly enjoyed reading this book.
Amyb
Dec 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very challenging. Brought up a lot of good conversations. I am a believer that it is easier to discuss, for example, how you will spend the holidays when it is... July... than December. People can be much more rationale discussing tough issues when they are not in the heat of the moment. I think it is best to go through this book even before you get engaged!
Lisa
Sep 07, 2011 rated it liked it
This is a pretty good book for Christian couples to look at before getting married. It covers a lot of important things to talk about before marriage including finances, sex, family, and expectations. My husband and I went over it with our pastor and his wife during pre-marital counseling and it was a good resource for us.
CJ Bowen
Basic intro to Christian marriage. The questions are more useful than the basic content. If you are working with people who grew up in church, the content may be too introductory, but working through the exercises and answering the questions will be very helpful. New believers will find this particularly useful.
Tim
Sep 04, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a solid and biblical book that gives teachings and activities that idea for a premarital counseling setting. It might be a little dry and uninteresting on it's own, but if it serves as a foundation upon which you can add other material then it would work well.
Lisa
Feb 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Jon and I went through this book while we were engaged - it was a great tool to have, especially while he was in Iraq! Great conversation starter & interesting topics to think about that perhaps not all couples grapple with (but should) prior to tying the knot.
Sarah Jo Smith
Jan 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Even though some of the questions and stories may seem a little pedantic at times, and even though there were a few amusing editorial errors, this book was extremely helpful during our premarital program. Working through it together brought us closer.
Krystal
Feb 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who is wanting to be married, now or anytime
Recommended to Krystal by: pastor and friends
this is an absolute must for anyone who is looking to get married, is married, or might want to be married. love is only 50% of the relationship.... respect is the other 50%. this is a hard lesson that im STILL learning.
Anna
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
A great book to get couples talking about what's important BEFORE PROPOSING, or, used with a group and a mentor couple, as pre-marriage counseling.

Everyone should do something like this before getting married.
Nedu
Dec 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An in depth biblical look at the purpose of marriage the way God intended it to be. And it was a requirement to read in our pre-engagement class too :) I learned so much from this book. May it bless you as well!
Ben Kester
May 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
Do you miss Sunday school? The answers to life's questions are easy as long as you follow the rules. Because you filled in all the right answers, there wasn't anything left to discuss with your friends.

This book is for you. Welcome back.
Rebekah
Jul 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
I highly recommend this marriage preparation book for engaged couples. We did it, along with a pastor, and it was very helpful in bringing up practical topics that should be discussed when bringing two imperfect people into a new life together.
  • The Most Important Year in a Woman's Life/The Most Important Year in a Man's Life: What Every Bride Needs to Know / What Every Groom Needs to Know
  • Before You Say "I Do"
  • Baptism and Fullness: The Work of the Holy Spirit Today
  • As For Me And My House: Crafting Your Marriage To Last
  • Becoming a Woman of Excellence
  • Reel Spirituality: Theology and Film in Dialogue
Dennis Rainey is president and CEO of FamilyLife, a division of Cru. Dennis and his wife, Barbara, have spoken at Weekend to Remember conferences around the world. Dennis serves as the daily host of the radio program "FamilyLife Today". He and Barbara have authored more than two dozen books, including the bestselling "Moments Together for Intimacy" and" Moments Together for Couples". The Raineys h ...more
“A husband’s leadership in marriage is not based on superior abilities but on divine placement. Leadership means assuming responsibility for the relationship, being accountable to God and putting your wife’s needs above your own. It means making her load lighter, not heavier. It means helping her develop and utilize her gifts and abilities. It means loving her sacrificially.” 1 likes
“It is your commitment to God—to know Him, to grow in your relationship with Him, to obey Him and follow His leading in your life—that will enable you to see your spouse as His perfect complement to your life.” 0 likes