Start by marking “Snow-Eyes (Snow-Eyes, #1)” as Want to Read:
Snow-Eyes (Snow-Eyes, #1)

Snow-Eyes

(Snow-Eyes #1)

Snow-Eyes' absent mother returns as a servitor to the goddess Trost and calls her, against her will, to the same service.
Published July 5th 1988 by DAW (first published September 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Snow-Eyes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snow-Eyes

Gone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonWuthering Heights by Emily BrontëGone Girl by Gillian FlynnPlague of Angels by John Patrick Kennedy
Anti-Heroines
278 books — 184 voters
Magic Kingdom for Sale—Sold! by Terry BrooksRhapsody by Elizabeth HaydonAnother Fine Myth by Robert Lynn AsprinGate of Darkness, Circle of Light by Tanya HuffThe Wayfarer Redemption by Sara Douglass
Fantasy Underdogs
125 books — 19 voters

More lists with this book...

Mely
Jan 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Laurie Marks, Elizabeth Lynn, Ursula Le Guin
Just reread this old favorite of mine. Snow-Eyes is the daughter of a carpenter and a demigoddess, more or less. What I love about this book is the combination of the down-to-earth and the mystical; the social structure of the Kields, the farming and carpentry and cooking and cleaning, the mythology and the hints at more, the focus on family and family frailties. The social structure is egalitarian, no gender roles assigned: nothing is made of this, it's just background.

Another fantasy novel fr
Alexandra
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: great-fantasy
I really loved this book as a drama about female relationships. The idea of females serving the land, keeping balance, granting wishes, is powerful but sometimes confusing. Some of their service seems overly ritualized and pointless, and I couldn't tell what their geographical range was supposed to be. However, the idea of women working together and passing down their heritage and goals to the next generation speaks to me.

I was troubled at first that the book seemed to want me to want the girl
Anjalique
Feb 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Like others here, I recently re-read this little novel after remembering having enjoyed it as a young person. I hoped that (unlike some awesomely bad 1980's films) it would still prove to be as captivating now. In many ways it was.

The story is quite simple and almost sparse. Yet, the author has a true gift for lovely and memorable imagery. Only a few things bothered me. The first was when the protagonist first views the murals on the nidules that represent the Lake Mother. I thought the choices
Nighteye
Oct 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who likes Ursula LeGuin
I liked it even if it was dark and the story basically are about a girl who are abandon by her mother who disappoint her on one way after another in the whole story... first her mother, who Snow-eyes havn't meet before, returns to take her with her, from her family, against her will. Soon Snow-Eyes discover that her mother are "The Lake Mother" who is a lore-spun woman who guides the souls to Death and grants wishes... and she begin her training to be one of The Lake Womens servitudes...
Brownbetty
Feb 02, 2008 rated it liked it
I think I may have read this in middle school, so I grabbed it to find out. I will keep you posted.

ETA: Yep, this is the one I remembered! Nice, slow moving for the first half of the book before sudden scene and pace change. Has a slightly sparse quality, in the style of LeGuin, although perhaps she just comes to mind because she's given a blurb on the cover. Definitely YA, but as such, not bad.
Mackenzie Lee
Nov 09, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who like Fantasy
This book is about a little girl who is named Snow Eyes and her father always dresses his youngest child in black.Her eyes are as black as her clothes too. She always gets abused by her oldest sister and Snow Eyes tells her father but her father doesnt believe her.
Stephanie Smith
Apr 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Well. Of course I love it.
Jackie
A childhood favorite. I must have read Snow Eyes a dozen times when I was 12. Good for some literary comfort food even now.
Thomas
Peter
Jun 21, 2009
Brownthrasher
Nov 19, 2011
Stephanie A. Smith holds a PhD from UC Berkeley and teaches American Literature at the University of Florida. She studied fiction with both Ursula K. Le Guin and Michael Cunningham, and is the author of six novels, including the recent WARPAINT Trilogy (Thames River Press) and two books of criticism, along with numerous essays, chapters, reviews and short stories.

http://www.stephanieasmith.net for

Snow-Eyes (2 books)
  • The Boy Who Was Thrown Away (Snow Eyes #2)