Start by marking “Biggles in Spain” as Want to Read:
Biggles in Spain

Biggles in Spain

(Biggles #17)

'Don't move yet. I'm going out of the front door. They'll rush me then. That's your chance to go out the back way. Got that?'-'Quite clear.'-'Good! But don't think I'm exaggerating. My chances of getting out of here alive are about one in a hundred. Yours are one in ten. They'll kill you without the slightest compunction if they think you're with me. I don't know what you' ...more
Published July 16th 1992 by Red Fox (first published May 1939)

To ask other readers questions about Biggles in Spain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Biggles in Spain

Start your review of Biggles in Spain
James Kemp
Aug 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
picked it up for a pound in a charity shop. Surprised to find that it stood up to the passing of time. Written towards the end of the Spanish Civil War during which it is set it still reads as a good story. A bit boys own in places, but it is Biggles and that's what it is. Got a good feel for the history which is partly through being practically contemporaneous with the events it described. Well worth reading.
Sem
Sep 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ripping-yarns
Ginger in Spain would be nearer the mark.
Dakshesh Thacker
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
In 2020, I have decided to revisit teen fiction in greater detail especially the Biggles series. This particular escapade of the trio of pilots is definitely a faster and more addictive read compared to Biggles defies the Swastika.
Starting in the backdrop of the Spanish Civil War there are two clear highlights of the book apart from the regular relay of riveting set pieces. First, at least half the book focuses on the adventures of Biggles' protege Ginger. The situations he finds himself and ge
Andrew
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"...it's just because any Britisher would do what we've done that the old Empire goes on." And with a rousing chorus of Rule Britannia they hail a cab and head to the Cafe Royal, to toast their safe return to Old Blighty and the successful conclusion of another tussle with those shifty foreigners. The sun might still have been shining on the Old Empire then, but little did Biggles realise just how close to setting it was!
Roshni
Jan 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: adventure
An enjoyable afternoon read set during the Spanish Civil War. Biggles and Co. are on vacation, but adventure finds them as they are thrust in the middle of the revolutionaries and Franco's sides, trying to escape with some valuable intelligence to Britain.
Cameron
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A classic Biggles adventure. Reading this brought back lots of memories of listening to this story over and over again as an audio book on cassette as a kid!
Tom Caswell
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another superb Biggles story. Spoiler: there isn’t a bad one.
Brian Gormley
May 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.7 out of 5.
No, chaps,' he said, as they walked slowly towards the exit, 'it's just because any Britisher would do what we've done that the old Empire goes on.’

That gives you a flavor of the style in this book. It’s all unflappable public school boys, Boys Own type stories, stiff upper lips, and putting one over on Johnny Foreigner.

That said, it’s all rather enjoyable. After spending months wading through a depressing, unreadable tome on climate breakdown, I flew through this in one night!

It
Cold War Conversations Podcast
Entertaining Boys Own Spanish Civil War yarn

I havn't read Biggles in many years, not since I was at school, so with my interest in the Spanish Civil War I thought I'd give this one a go.

As with returning to many things from childhood there is an element of disappointment. Whilst I accept it's a vintage book, the writing style does jar with what I'm used to and does feel very 1950s'. I'm not sure a modern child of school age would find this as much fun as I obviously did at the time.

As you'd expe
Salome
Apr 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Courage and action requiring whole men and saving in the last moment. Biggles puts on a uniform again, though in this case one could say that just by an accident, and goes stright into a spy adventure, where even he himself doesn't know on which side he is.

Odvaha a akce vyžadující celé muže a záchranu v posledním okamžiku. Biggles opět navléká uniformu, i když v tomto případě by se dalo říci, že zcela omylem, a pouští se do špionážního dobrodružství, v němž si ani sám není jistý, na čí straně vl
Edwin
Apr 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Roger Schenk
Recommended to Edwin by: Roger Schenk
Shelves: jeugd, 2016
Een andere favoriet. Het eerste dat ik ooit uit deze serie las.

Biggles, Ginger en Algy maken een reis per schip, omdat dit rustgevend zou werken. Na een paar dagen op zee wordt het Griekse vrachtschip waar op zij vaten door vliegtuigen van Franco gebombardeerd en moeten de drie zich zwemmend zien te redden.
Na vele uren in het water bereiken ze het vaste land van Spanje, en dan begint het avontuur pas echt goed.

Daniel Bratell
Aug 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Biggles with Algy and Ginger find themselves swimming to Spain, ending up in the civil war among spies and airplanes.

The most notable thing about the book is that it doesn't really pick sides. I would have expected an anti-nationalist story, but it tries quite hard to be neutral.
josh francis
Marcel
Aug 11, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Agent Running in the Field
  • The Courage to Be Disliked: How to Free Yourself, Change your Life and Achieve Real Happiness
  • Wit'ch Fire (The Banned and the Banished, #1)
  • Wit'ch Storm (The Banned and the Banished, #2)
  • Nightchaser (Endeavor #1)
  • The Memory Police
  • Wild Coast: Travels on South America's Untamed Edge
  • Charley's War Book 2
  • It's All Yours, Snoopy (Peanuts Coronet, #45)
  • Here Comes Snoopy (Peanuts Coronet, #6)
  • Take It Easy, Charlie Brown (Peanuts Coronet, #35)
  • Snoopy and the Red Baron
  • Birds Without Wings
  • You're a Brave Man, Charlie Brown (Peanuts Coronet, #18)
  • The Troublesome Offspring of Cardinal Guzmán
  • You're Something Special, Snoopy (Peanuts Coronet, #33)
  • All This And Snoopy, Too (Peanuts Coronet, #11)
Invariably known as Captain W.E. Johns, William Earl Johns was born in Bengeo, Hertfordshire, England. He was the son of Richard Eastman Johns, a tailor, and Elizabeth Johns (née Earl), the daughter of a master butcher. He had a younger brother, Russell Ernest Johns, who was born on 24 October 1895.

He went to Hertford Grammar School where he was no great scholar but he did develop into a crack sh

Biggles (1 - 10 of 126 books)
  • Biggles The Camels Are Coming