Start by marking “Walter Was Worried” as Want to Read:
Walter Was Worried

Walter Was Worried

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  225 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
Opposite the simple declarative sentence, "Walter was worried" is a portrait of a very worried Walter. But wait! The letters that spell out his feelings form his facial characteristics, as well as his expression. Gradually a simple story unfolds: the sky grows dark, the fog rolls in, lightning lights the sky, and thunder shakes the trees; Priscilla was puzzled, Shirley was ...more
Published August 22nd 2006 by Square Fish (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Walter Was Worried, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Walter Was Worried

Adora Fahrenbruch
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
The storm is coming! Walter Was Worried is the perfect early reader! The story has minimal text and allows any child to determine the meaning of the story. The illustrations show characters go through a series of emotions based on the different layers of the storm. This book is written from the inside looking out at the storm developing and eventually passing.

The text is found both within the illustrations and also in the blank spaces. For example, the text is found in the blank space stating t
Kyoungbin Min
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: l-graphic-novels
1. No awards
2. 4-8 years
3. This book expresses different types of feelings with faces that describe the feeling. The faces are designed with letters of each feeling.
4. I find the author really clever and creative to come up with such idea; the children can both learn about the feeling and alphabets better than with other books.
5. Individual reading, shared reading, writing workshop
Michelle
Dec 14, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I understand what it's getting at but those faces are weird AF!
Emily
Feb 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
The image of a boy’s worried face staring out from the cover of this book is curiously intriguing upon first glance. With no title on the cover, one is immediately drawn to open this book and discover more about this perplexing little boy. Soon one learns that this boy is none other than Walter, a boy who is worried. However, upon closer inspection, one finds that Walter is also a boy who is visually defined by his worried state. Along with the other characters introduced in this story, Walter’s ...more
Heidi
Nov 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Seeger, Laura Vaccaro. Walter was Worried. Roaring Book Press, 2005. 34Pages. Concept Picture Book

Summary – Uh, oh! Here comes a storm! As they experience every emotion during the phases of a tempest, the feelings are written all over the children’s faces – literally!

Area for Critique – Creativity behind the book.

(B) I expected the pictures to depict the emotions that were stated in the story; however, I didn’t expect to see the letters of the feelings spelled out on the children’s faces.

(C) Fro
Whitney
Sep 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Walter Was Worried is a fantastic book for children to read when they are learning about different emotions a person can have. The book tells us about eight children who have different emotions about a scary storm. Each child has a different emotion to go with the sequence of the storm. The book starts out with Walter being worried about the sky growing dark, but by the end Elliot was ecstatic when the sun came out. This book is helpful when teaching children about the weather cycle. It is impor ...more
Mercedes Enciso
Dec 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 307
Seeger, L. (2005). Walter Was Worried. New Milford, Connecticut: Roaring Brook Press.

This book is about how different children react to a storm. Walter, for example, was worried. What we also see is the word “worried” spelled on Walter’s face. As the storm progresses, different children are introduced into the story. For example, Shirley was “shocked”, and we also see the word “shocked” spelled on her face. The names of the children and the choices of adjectives are creatively combined in a way
Leah
Mar 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Walter was Worried is a book about emotions. Throughout the pages, it shows the different emotions from the children. Each emotion is in relationship to what is happening with the weather.
This book is children friendly and can be read by a child alone. It has very short sentences.
The only thing that may be difficult for the children is the words that are being focused on, such as "puzzled."
The illustrator did an amazing job with incorporating the spelling of the emotion in the face of each pers
Barbara
In this concept book originally published a decade ago, the author/illustrator uses letters of the alphabet on the faces of her characters to spell out the feelings they are experiencing. Although it might sound rather odd, but it works quite well here as each of the youngsters--Walter, Priscilla, Shirley, Frederick, Ursula, Delilah, Henry, and Elliott--experiences some sort of emotion. Because the reason for the character's fears or delights is provided on the page after the character is introd ...more
Michelle
Sep 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A storm is approaching and each child reacts to it differently. “Walter was worried when the sky grew dark.” “Priscilla was puzzled when the fog rolled in.” But … “Delilah was delighted when the rain turned to snow.” Finally the sun comes back out allowing the children to get out and play.
Seeger uses this concept book to convey a number of lessons, including recognition of expressions, letters, and descriptive words. On each spread the simple sentence starter is followed by the child’s face on t
Olivia Bailey
I love this book because of the art possibilities it has. The illustrations in the book consists of faces with the words described spelled in the faces. I can see this as an activity where students can draw a description of words (vocabulary) and write the words in the picture.
The words are all in past tense, so this could introduce students to past tense words. Students will learn about past tense words being regular and irregular. This book provides many regular verbs that needs the -ed endin
Mary Ann
May 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
I really liked this simple text that helps kids name strong emotions. The illustrations are fantastic - great paintings, close-up of kids' faces. Very fun graphics for the text. And I liked how it turned positive in the end. Here are some samples (they're split / so you have to turn the page to find out why)

"Walter was worried when / the sky turned dark.
Priscilla was puzzled when / the fog rolled in.
Shirley was shocked when / the lightning lit the sky.
...
Delilah was delighted when / the rain tur
Amanda
Jan 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-s-books
This book is awesome! Each page has a different emotion for each different kid which is pictured on the opposite page. Each face is then pictured and all the features are made out of the letters in the emotion word ie Walter on the cover has a D mouth, an o eye and an e eye, l nose, r eyebrows and a w and i worry line under each eye. It took me a second to figure out that's what was going on, but my alphabet loving son loved that and it was very interactive for the reason. I thought it would be ...more
Lindsey Johnson
Sep 30, 2009 added it
Shelves: pbgs-2
This book has bright and vivid colors in it. I like how it has like one solid color on the page but the color changes for every page so it keeps it interesting. The font changes every time. Sometime it will be small lettering then it will get huge for what the picture is talking about. The best part of the whole book is whatever word it is talking about it spells out on the face of the character with its eyes, nose mouth and forehead. You would not know it says that until you look into detail of ...more
Brenda Cregor
Mar 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books you have to SEE to believe!
The illustrator took the letters from the adjectives/words to describe the characters of the book and made their features and expressions on their face, in order to match the characters' feelings.
Quite ingenius.
I mean, the illustrations are not masterpieces, but the idea is original and appealing to children, and adults like me.
This book can be used to teach linking verbs and adjectives.
In addition, the short story can teach children to
Chrissie
Jan 24, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, kirkus
I think this book will work best when the child reads it with an adult. It can be used as a starting point for discussing their own emotions, what causes them, how we express them or how different people feel different emotions to a given experience. The book also can be be used with children of different ages which makes for a more lively reading experience. Small children can look for the kite and show how they feel. Older children can look after the letters hidden in the facial expresions.
Emily
May 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
The pictures in the book have hidden letters that spell out the emotion of the character. What a great way to talk to students about feelings. They are sure to be attentive in this book that requires active engagement to figure out! This book teaches letter recognition, spelling, and alliteration. The School Library Journal Review says "With only one sentence per page, there is surprising depth in this wonderful collaboration of art and story."
Carrie Horton
Nov 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. There wasn't much to the text, however the illustrations made up for it. In each of the pages where one of the children showed an expression it showed that expression broken into its letters and used in the pictures, I thought that was neat, I also enjoyed looking for each of the letters. That alone draws the readers in. Good book!
June
Oct 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: emotions or feelings requests
I always find Hanoch Piven's illustrations interesting and Seeger's faces illustrated with the letters of the emotion pictured reminds me of them. I might try this at a smaller story time of PJ time and see if the children can find the letters. 10/15/13

Used this at Story Time and it went over pretty well.
Paula
Children's faces, depicted with letters of the alphabet, react to the onset of a storm and its aftermath in this picture book, accompanied by simple alliterative text. Children's faces, with features depicted by letters of the alphabet, express a range of emotions in response to the onset of a storm and its aftermath. Accompanied by simple, alliterative text.
Renee
Dec 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: paw
Simple text about some kids who have different feelings about the storm coming in. "Priscilla was puzzled when..' the opposite page shows the girls puzzled face and the letters PUZZLED are used to make up her face.

A good book for sitting down one on one with a child to find all the letters. Might not work well with a large group.

Could be used for feelings/emotions or letter recognition.
Patrick
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I actually loved this one more than I thought it would. We like weather. We like expressive faces. We like hidden details to look for in pictures. Check, check, and check. (Bonus squiggly check for the fact my daughter was excited by the title because she has a crush on a boy named Walter who looks nothing like the boy in the book and is a foot shorter than her.)
Amber Bartram
This book was about a storm rolling in. It showed lots of children and their emotions about the storm. This story had alliteration and also used letters in the illustrations. I would use this to discuss the use of alliteration as a writing tool or even to talk about all the types of emotions someone can have.
Barb Middleton
Oct 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I had the kindergarteners use the iPad app, Photobooth, and make a worried face after reading this book. Did they have fun. I wanted to reinforce the story. Next time I saw them they asked to make "funny faces." Anybody know of a good read aloud with funny faces for 5-7 year olds?
Jenna
A fun concept and the kids did like the book with its bright and colorful illustrations. The aspect of the emotive word being used in the composition of each child's face was smart, but I think it was also a bit confusing and made for some odd looking expressions in the end.
Constance
Jun 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Just read this book to a group of 3 year olds on this stormy, dark day! As I read "when the clouds rolled in" a very observant boy said "Just like our clouds!" Then came the rain; "just like our rain!"
Tracy
Dec 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a cool book. It has some simple emotions that children feel, but also the illustrations of the emotions have the letters of the words hidden on their faces. I like to discover things like that in a book.
Bhunter2012
Sep 06, 2012 rated it did not like it
This book will help children read because it is very graphic. The pictures tell you everything that is going on in the story. Also their is a pattern to the names and their actions, allowing kids to see the same letter and pronounce the same letter multiple times will help them learn quicker.
Linda
Oct 12, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: All ages
Good book about feelings and facial expressions.
Also good from the art perspective - all the emotional words are spelled out in the face - reminds me of the Graphic Alphabet book.
Miranda
Jan 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lcrt-5795
This book shows such a creative way of incorporating art and words together, while also talking about various emotions.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Billy and Milly, Short and Silly!
  • Don't Worry Bear
  • The Things I Can Do
  • Mary Engelbreit's Mother Goose: One Hundred Best-Loved Verses
  • Home
  • The Bear's Song
  • What's Your Favorite Animal?
  • The Favorite Daughter
  • How Are You Peeling?
  • Shout! Shout It Out!
  • Ten in the Bed
Laura Vaccaro Seeger is a New York Times best-selling author and illustrator and the recipient of a 2008 Caldecott Honor, Theodor Seuss Geisel Honors for both 2009 and 2008, a 2007 New York Times Best Illustrated Book Award, and the 2007 Boston Globe/Horn Book Award for Best Picture Book. Her books include First the Egg, The Hidden Alphabet, and Dog and Bear, among others.

Raised on Long Island, Ne