Start by marking “Buddy” as Want to Read:
Buddy

Buddy

(Buddy Trilogy #1)

Buddy has a hopeless father who is an aging rocker, interested only in Elvis and bikes, and living on the fringes of the under-world. When Buddy's mum walks out, the two manage to strike up some kind of relationship - until Buddy realizes that his dad is involved in something more serious than he suspected. A moving, totally convincing account of a boy's faltering relation ...more
Published September 1st 2009 by Heinemann Educational Books (first published January 1st 1982)

Anna
Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I first came across this in 1992, but I think it still is a current book. Well written social realism for 10-12 year olds, Buddy has to cope when his mum moves leaving him and his dad to cope on their own. The bbc did a great video with Roger Daltry in the role of the dad.
Roz
The kids enjoyed this. How do I know? There was dead silence while I was reading it.

'Buddy' is a pleasantly complex story. Initially, it appears as though this is going to be a book focusing on a teenager, Buddy, having to cope with discrimination from his peers at school because, unlike them, he does not come from a wealthy family. But it is a mile away from that idea. It has to do with moral dilemmas, compassion, owning up and a whole lot more.

The characters are wonderfully flawed. Our initi
Josh well
Aug 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I think this book is very good but I think this book is more of early teen book because I have read this book twice once was when I was 11 and now when I am 13. I really prepared the book when I was 11 I found it very enjoyable that might off been because I never read the book before. But now 13 I find it boring in some place and good in others. So I say read this book when u are young. IF U HAVEN'T READ IT. READ IT.
Nicholas Politis
Nov 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Cant actually remember when I finished this becuase I forgot to update it when I did. Good-ish book anyway. ...more
Bianca
Jun 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Read this as a teenager.
Helena Wares
Jul 01, 2013 rated it did not like it
terrible, very boring
Robert
Sep 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

I'm quite lucky being born in the late seventies. During that decade, a series of books which focused on teenagers started to appear on the market. Books which described the problems that adolescents face - confusion, depression, challenges at school and puberty, just to name a few. Now this genre is called YA fiction. As I hit eleven the school library had a plethora of books by Betsy Byars, Judy Blume, Robert Cormier, Paul Zindell and more. I am mentioning this because I never really read Bri
Shane Watson
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I want to own these books. I got this one. Wanting the other 2 but they are out of print. First time I read this I was about 14. It taken me about 6 months to a year to read. I wasn't really in to reading as I was slow.

I pick this book up again when I was 20. I read it in 20 hours about 5 days. I never found another book the clich me like these did. I go so involved with the character buddy and his family and love life. It's a shame that I can not get hold of the last two books to keep. I am fr
Iona MacLeod
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
I had to read this book in my second year of secondary school for my English class. I didn't really enjoy this book, I mean it's not something I would typically pick up and read but I suppose the things you read for school, especially in English classes, you sort of have to enjoy them. Because you are being forced to read it, and you HAVE to understand it, every single sentence, because at the end of the term, you have to write an essay on it and if you don't know it, then you're screwed.
Donna
Sep 02, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 *

This had a really strong opening and shone most in the small scenes between Buddy and his family- Hinton really hits the nail on the head in some places.

That being said, this failed to grip me as a whole and I had to push myself to pick it back up each time (even if I'd then enjoy reading it once I'd started). The plot itself was not that enjoyable, but the writing is good.
Claire Smalley
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I can't place what it is that makes me love this book so much, I have read it numerous times and will still read it again. Maybe it is because I was only about 8 when I first read it but even now as an adult I love it
Amy Louise Smith
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this book as part of a project i was doing at work. I loved it from the start it has enough of a back story to make you care. Most people can relate to Buddy, or at least empathize with his story. There are many twists and turns you don't see coming.
Nicolas
Mar 04, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5🌟
Oscar
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Still had some questions about the relationship of the characters after reading.
Takaya Ueno
Mar 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book called Buddy by Nigel Hinton and is about a teenager called Buddy who acts just like his father such as shoplifting and stealing money. One day, his mom leaves the house because of her disappointment between those two. Now it is only Buddy and his father in the house and they can't talk to each other because Buddy's father can't control his anger. However, the time goes by and both Buddy and his father gets to know each other quite well. One day father got a job and Buddy was hap ...more
Paraic McLean
Apr 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my Junior Certificate novel that my teacher chose for our fiction section. It is really a good book and I'm actually quite thankful that she decided to choose a good book that we had to study.

The book focuses on a boy who's mother disappears without any notice. Some consider her dead, some consider he dead, some have other theories but Buddy blames himself for her leaving. The book travels along the road with Buddy as he makes friends, how he copes with his mother and his father (both
India
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
The book is all right
I suppose however it is very old
Lauren
Jan 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I thought this story was kind of sad because it's talking about buddy's father called terry. when terry stopped working and buddy's mum left. buddy became so worried and had no idea of what to do. Buddy went into a new school when terry can't afford to buy one so buddy got into trouble for not wearing a new school uniform. It was a happy ending though.
Kirsteen Gordon
Apr 07, 2014 rated it did not like it
This book is for very young teens. I suppose there are some current themes for inner city kids but I found the book boring. A lot better than some of the rubbish I had to read at that age in school such as the play,"Death of a Salesman." I would not recommend but it is any easy read that you can finish in a couple of hours.
Irene Lazlo
es una historia muy dramática pero bonita, bien escrita y da sensación de realidad. me ha gustado el final porque no es un happy ending en el que se resuelve todo sino que pasan cosas buenas y malas, se solucionan algunos problemas pero otros se quedan como están o empeoran, como en la vida real.
Ben
Was made to read this at school and it still leaves a distant impression. More memorable still was the film version, starring Roger Daltry, that we were also made to watch.
Marthiette
Oct 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: school-reading
★3★
Phil Mc
May 02, 2011 rated it did not like it
Absolute rubbish. Cliched, poorly plotted and boring. Everything that is wrong with teenage fiction is embodied in this novel.
Uzair Omar
Oct 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Lord Voldemort
Jan 11, 2012 rated it liked it
This book I can totally empathise to!!! I am currently reading and I find it so good. It is just emotional as well. It is really good so far!!!
Emma
Oct 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
We read this in school as a class reader with Year 8, they really enjoyed the book. I thought the book was well written and covered many issues that children have to deal with in today's society.
Jack

• Undercover Magic
  • The Golden Rule
  • The Tamer Tamed; or, The Woman's Prize
  • Terry Nation: The Man Who Invented the Daleks
  • Golden Girl (Million Dollar Mates, #4)
  • John Major: The Autobiography
  • The Kingdom by the Sea
  • Stripes of the Sidestep Wolf
  • Primordial Soup: The Least Worst Scripts (Red Dwarf)
Nigel Hinton was born and educated in London. After two years in advertising, he worked as an English teacher for nine years. His first novel, Collision Course (winner of the Dutch Silver Pen Award) was written as a result of a challenge from one of his pupils. He began teaching part-time and also worked as a professional actor before concentrating on his writing.

Nigel is the ever-popular author t

Buddy Trilogy (3 books)
  • Buddys Song
  • Buddy's Blues (Puffin Teenage Fiction)