Start by marking “Hug Time” as Want to Read:
Hug Time

Hug Time

There was once a kitten so filled with love he wanted to give the whole world a hug!

And so Jules the kitten (also known in the Mutts cartoons as "Shtinky Puddin'") goes down the stairs to hug his friends, then all the birds in the park--and then he travels the world, hugging all those he meets! As Jules learns, a hug is the simplest--but kindest--gift we can give. And you
Published November 1st 2007 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Hug Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hug Time

Abril G. Karera
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Breve y contundente, acompañar a este gato en su viaje por abrazar a todo el mundo, conmoverá muchísimo. Me parece un libro que consigue reflejar la importancia de dar y recibir abrazos, algo en lo que no todos reparamos. Súper recomendable.
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Delightful children's book about the joys of giving and receiving physical affection. Rhyming in the style of Dr. Seuss, but without the silliness. Just very, very heartwarming. Illustrations are cute and the main character is a cat which is right up my (and my daughter's) alley.
Orion Kopf
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
AAAA it's so cute I can't take it
Charlotte
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I liked the book because there were so many hugs given.
Paul
Oct 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
I got this book to read with my (then) just barely two-year-old daughter. It turns-out that this was one of the best book purchases that I've made in a number of years. My daughter went nuts and has made this the most frequently requested last book of the night. The three big things that she latched-onto were:

(1) The book has an assortment of animals (the Boynton books are another regular request) and even a Boabab Tree (which she just likes to say).
(2) The book is about hugs (a big feature of
Carrie Gelson
Jan 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Could this book be any more smile inducing? Travel the continents to distribute hugs! My favourite - hugging a big Blue Whale! Love this simple mesage of love.
Jamil
Jan 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Miles & Malcolm & Gavin
Recommended to Jamil by: Carter
Jules gives the best hugs. Awesome drawings (by the cartoonist of Mutts). I especially like the whale-hug, the tiger & the polar bear.
Amy
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely beautiful, sweet, timeless, and charming story. Illustrations are FABULOUS. I love that Jules is helped into his sweater for his hug journey. Probably my favorite page is his message to the new species he discovered: "We welcome you." The message of this wee book is pure love and therefore pure joy. It can feel overwhelming to make a difference, but if you start small with those closest to you, you can make a dent in your corner of the world. If we all did that, the small differenc ...more
Bizzy's Books
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant little story about a kitty who wants to hug the entire world. Just as sweet as can be, and one that will stay with you long after you finish it. So kind, so lovely, so respectful and compassionate towards the planet and others. Probably my very favorite children's book!
Katy
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really like this one. It's sweet and fun and doesn't involve forcing children to consider romance. It's a little small for storytime but I may give it a try. (Btw, Patrick McDonnell is great!)
Ranea
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such an adorable book!!!
Joy Keil
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: clara
My daughter loves this book! I also love the simple drawing and rhythmic verse... nice to read and listen to, and great values encouraged!
Milly Cohen
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Está lo máximo! Todo lo que hace él lo hace bien!
Patty
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
So cute! This little kitten wants to hug the world. With a message for all of us. Some subtle and some obvious.
Gina
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Love this book - actually love everything MUTTS. Even though this is a children's book the life lesson is great for all ages
Jennifer B.
Apr 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute but a bit irresponsible. You should be a bit careful about whom you hug sometimes.
Penny
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a delightful story for all ages. Jules aka Shtinky Puddin' is a great hugger with a great heart!! I love Patrick's books and never miss his comic strip! Kudos Patrick!!
Susan
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baby
Touching and winsome. Happy to see themes of the love of all things great and small and honouring the environment. I was able to memorize it for Baby within a few readings!
Michelle
Jul 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Mommy Bookworm’s Thoughts: This is an adorable book!! It encourages kindness to everyone around us and shows that when we are kind to others, we will receive kindness in return. The illustrations are great! The reading level is definitely for ages 4+, but I think even younger children could enjoy this book because of the drawings, which take up most of the page. It’s a great lesson in love!

Dahlia Bookworm’s Thoughts (11 years old): I like the book because it is cute and neat how the kitten wants
Heidi-Marie
That was adorably adorable. I was looking for books that had to do with gifts/presents, and this would be perfect. Because a preschooler can certainly give hugs--and they are such great gifts!!

12/9/15 Used in my presents theme. Didn't realize some parts of this were a little didactic, but the kids didn't mind. They really liked the pictures and liked the idea of the kitten hugging all these different animals. They were intrigued with what they didn't know (like a baobab tree) and absolutely love
Maria Estrada
Apr 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a poetry book about a kitten that decides to hug everyone and everything around him. It is a very cute book for the younger ones learning about love and being nice. I really like this book because it has a variety of animals and it even includes nature. By reading this short book, children will learn to enjoy family, friends, neighbors, nature, and animals.

I really like the illustrations because it includes illustrations of various animals which children will find interesting to look at
Karen
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I ordered this book for my six-year-old son, hoping to receive it in time for Valentine's Day. It was a little late, so instead it arrived on Tuesday (the 17th). Turns out, this book wasn't late at all, because this is the story that my son told me that evening BEFORE we even read the book:

Once upon a time, there was a watch. The watch was for telling time. Thomas can tell time. He can tell when it is squeezy-hug time.
The End.

As with so much with my son, the timing turned out to be absolutely
Lynde
Feb 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
I purchased this book today without reading it in a rush, but for the boys. it just looked cute (i sometimes judge by the cover...bad girl!). i read it to them when we got home. they both loved it, i loved the sentiment. i loved that it was earth-centered (friendly), there were a lot of animals, and just sweet. yes, it's sappy but sometimes that is good. :) at the end i offered N a hug but he still gave me a high 5. where did my little boy go!? also, as an unexpected surprise there is a blue wha ...more
Anna
Nov 16, 2007 rated it really liked it
This book is so sweet! I totally cried. It's the story of a kitten who wants to give the world a hug. Author Patrick McDonnell is a creator of the MUTT's comic strip and this
story 's illustrations are done in his trademark simple style. It's a short story written in rhyme and the book is little kid size...not quite Beatrix Potter small though. It's soooo cute. One of those classic feel books. I love it!
Jessica
Mar 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I loved loved loved this book. Little Jules is a kitten so filled with love that he has to give the whole world a hug. So he travels around the world and hugs as many animals as he can. In the process he discovers new species and disappearing ones. Both the text and watercolor illustrations are simple and sweet. The story combines several beautiful messages.
Ina
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
A Cat decides that the world would be better off if he gave every animal on earth a hug…and then he sets off to go around the world and gives hugs to an amazing collection of animals. Rhyming text and charming illustrations make this a wonderful book…the small format and small illustrations make this difficult to read to a huge group, but my story time audience of almost 30 didn't seem to mind.
Rebecca
Mar 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Julie Moran!
Aw, shucks. What a sweet little book from talented Mutts cartoonist Patrick McDonnell. His books would all make great gift books for a friend or loved one. The kitten in this book (named Jules!) is so tiny compared to all the things he wants to hug, which makes the illustrations that much more endearing. I want to hug a humuhumu fish!
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
A kitten is filled with so much love that he seeks to hug the whole world. He makes a hug-to-do-list and sets out to achieve and he does. I am particularly fond of the message near the end. Even though the world is big, we can still make a huge impact by just doing what we can with what is near us--in this case hugging those closest to you but the message seems grander.
Breanna
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful- One of my absolute favorites. Who wouldn't appreciate a book so cleverly written witb stunning illustrations about a cat that wants to demonstrate love to everyone with hugs? If I could, this book would recieve extra credit. So sweet!
Bree
Jun 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
this has a wonderful moral to it. everyone needs to feel love and a hug goes a long way. it was presented in a cute little kitten named Jules. the illustrations were cute as well. I loved the polar bear the most.

• Posy
  • I'll Save You Bobo!
  • Cats' Night Out
  • Tree Ring Circus
  • Red Wagon
In 1994 McDonnell created the comic strip MUTTS which now appears in over 700 newspapers and 20 countries.

In 2005, McDonnell embarked on a children's book career. His first children’s book, which featured the MUTTS characters, The Gift of Nothing, quickly became a New York Times bestseller. Art (2006), his second release, told the story of a boy named Art who makes art. His next release, Just Like