Start by marking “The New Guy (Darkness Rising, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
The New Guy (Darkness Rising, #1.5)

The New Guy

(Darkness Rising #1.5)

A bonus free short, originally published in the enhanced ebook of "The Gathering". Maya's first meeting with Rafe.

Can be found and read here. http://www.darkestpowers.com/the-new-...
Published April 2011

Crystal Starr Light
Aug 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, young-adult
Bullet Review:

A short story where Maya meets Rafe. I personally don't care for the pairing as Rafe is a d!ck, but given what the goal of this book was, I actually thought it better in many ways than the novel, The Gathering. It had a focus; it developed the characters (Maya reminiscing about Serena was well done); it didn't pretend to be a paranormal/urban fantasy; it had a beginning, middle AND AN END.
Erica Chilson
Maya's first encounter with Rafe.

All I can say is Maya is a badass. I love her snark and internal dialogue.

Quotes

“Uh-huh.” That was Nicole. I glanced at her. Now she was the one staring at him, and when he turned that smile on her, only for a split-second, I thought she was going to swoon. I wanted to elbow her and say, “If you’re falling for this bullshit, I need to get you into the city more often. Hone your player-radar.”

When his gaze settled on me—all over me—I didn’t bask in it. I wante
Veronika
Dec 03, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a short story of Rafe and Maya meeting for the first time. I liked how Maya didn't fall for Rafe's "charm". :)
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Good insight into Rafe and Maya's first meeting.
Jessi (Novel Heartbeat)
Dec 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: novellas, 3-star

2.5/5

I'm not usually a fan of novellas, because I don't feel as if they bring anything new to the plate. (Most of the time.) In this case, it was more of a deleted scene than a novella. And deleted scenes...well, they're deleted for a reason.

This pretty much just emphasized the apathy that Maya felt toward Rafe when she first met him. Which we already knew. However, I do think the little glimpse she saw of him unguarded should have been included, because it would have given reason for why Maya
Apr 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I am a big fan of Kelley Armstrong's books and really enjoyed The Gathering. I am just about to start book 2, The Calling. So I thought it was a good time to refamilarize myself with the characters from The Gathering.

The New Guy, is a bonus short story for The Gathering. It talks about the first day back at school and how everyone was excited to meet the new guy (Rafe). But most importantly we get to see Maya's initial reaction to Rafe. It was not good. Wow. Good story.
Alela
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
So Maya noticed something in Rafe from the start - good to know :) It makes their later fast hooking up more believable.
Bronwyn
Oct 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
keikii Eats Books
May 01, 2018 rated it liked it
54 points/100 (2.75 stars/5).

It is the first day of school and Maya is still reeling from the death of her best friend while it is Rafael's first day of school.

This short story takes place before the events in the first book, The Gathering, but is best read after that book. This is a very quick moment that just highlights the pain of losing a best friend and showing a love at first sight moment. There really isn't much to this story other than that.
April
Short story about when Maya first meets Rafe
Alison Beechner
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: novella
Just okay. Not anything I didn't already get from the first book, so pretty pointless.
Jenn
Apr 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own, e-book
***NOTE MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS***

Maya Delaney is preparing for her first start of the school year without her best friend Serena. This was always Serena’s favorite day of school and Maya’s not sure she can handle it without her. Will the new guy at their tiny school make her day?

So this is more a scene than a story, it’s a first person narrative from Maya’s point of view that occurs before the events of The Gathering. My first issue is that it seems like Serena’s been gone longer in t
Kathy Davie
Sep 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Cute. Expands on the first story, The Summoning", 1, with the first time Maya meets Rafe. It's on that first day of school as Daniel is concerned about Maya having to endure it without her best friend, Serena.

Armstrong does a nice job of reinforcing the tininess of their town and their school as well as keeping Maya's attitude in place.
Anna 'Bookbuyer'
Dec 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, own-kobo, to-sort
I was a bit disappointed in this novella. :(

I was hoping to read a lot more about Rafe but he didn't turn up till nearly the end. I was also annoyed because the copy I had, which I thin I got the link from this site, had spelling and grammar errors. -.-

It was nice to read more about Serena, but that want ant what I was expecting. :/
Elizabeth
May 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Read this in only a few minutes. A nice supplementary short to "The Gathering", telling the tale of Maya and Rafe's first meeting from Maya's point of view. I enjoyed the flashback of Maya and Serena, and found Maya and Nicole's friendly banter and civil coexistence/bonding over a cute, new boy in their school, entertaining. Maya's first impression of Rafe was not what I expected.
Darlene
This novella can be read online for free at Kelley Armstrong's blog.

In this short story, Maya and her friend, Nicole, meet Rafe Martinez on the first day of school. Rafe is portrayed as arrogant and conceited, and Maya felt apprehensive about him from the get-go!

There aren't any real surprises here but, if you enjoyed The Gathering, then you will probably enjoy this additional story!
Nikki
While enjoyable, this short story felt more like an extra scene than an actual short story addition. I rather felt like the "Rafe meeting" added nothing to the original story. I still love Maya and Rafe's characters, I just felt this was easily disregarded.
Joti
Apr 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
IT'S SO SAD THAT SERENA DIED - DROWNED IN LAKE :( AND SHE AND DANIEL WERE DATING, TOO :( SO MAYA'S FIRST DAY BACK AT SCHOOL IN THE NEW YEAR AND SHE MET RAFE AND DISLIKED HIM LOL - IT WAS KINDA FUNNY, THAT
Pang
Loved it! Great to know that Maya didn't fall for Rafe so easily! *I-knew-it* HAHAAA :P

I love their Build-Up!!! XD I love their story line!! =D

I love Rafe and Maya together!!
They're so perfect for each other!! Sighhhhhhhh =9
Kristen
Jul 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: stars-2
The New Guy, is a bonus short story from The Gathering. I thought since I didn't like The Gathering that much. maybe this short story would revive the series for me. Nope! It's just a short clip that really doesn't add anything of worth to the series as a whole.
Meaghan R. (YA-aholic)
6 pages.
quite interesting.
maybe like a deleted scene or something?

i just love the way armstrong writes....

this isn't necessary to read, doesn't affect the story, doesn't add or take away....
Venessaa ♡☮♫
I'm done! Okay. Wow
That was fast. I liked the story. Showed a little bit about the characters of the series.
Sandra McKay
Sep 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
meh. Just 10 pages that could've been included in The Gathering.
Elevetha
2.5 stars.

Not a bad short but lacking anything special.

Daniel!! We saw Daniel!!

All I can say is Daniel is fantastic and Rafe can go die in a hole.
Sky
Jul 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
pretty sure I just need to reread these books now, so good.
Karen
Sep 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Good background on Maya and Rafe meeting for the first time.
Chester Carstairs
Sep 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-extras
A little short even for an extra but it was interesting. I really love Maya!
Francesca
Apr 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Very funny, more than in The Gathering
Michelle
Apr 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Very short. Wanted more. Can't wait for book 3!

• Evolve 2: Vampire Stories of the Future Undead (Otherworld Stories #10.1)
  • A Fantasy Medley (Otherworld Stories, #9.2; Crown of Stars, #7.5; Realms of the Elderlings)
  • Enthralled: Paranormal Diversions
  • The Bitten Word
  • Blood Lite II: Overbite  (Otherworld Stories, #10.3)
  • Bloodhound (Cinderella, #1)
  • Crow Memory (The Blood Journals, #1.5)
  • Subterranean: Tales of Dark Fantasy 2
  • Catspaw (Blackheart #1)
  • Red Velvet and Absinthe
  • Bridge (Shade, #2.5)
  • Campus Chills
  • All I Want for Christmas (The Demon Trappers, #0.4)
  • Ascendance Trilogy: The False Prince, The Runaway King, The Shadow Throne
  • Starcrossed City (Starcrossed, #0.5)
  • By Blood We Live
  • Aftermath (Nightshade #3.5; Nightshade World #6.5)
  • Dirty Play

Darkness Rising (3 books)
  • The Gathering (Darkness Rising, #1)
  • The Calling (Darkness Rising, #2)
  • The Rising (Darkness Rising, #3)
“I squared my shoulders and threw open the truck door. “Today or tomorrow, it’ll still be my first day back. I should face it and get it over with. Who knows? Something new and exciting might happen.”
“You do realize we’re still in Salmon Creek, right?”
“I’m being optimistic.”
“Well, don’t. You’re scaring me.”
I laughed and climbed out.”
0 likes