Start by marking “Hottest, Coldest, Highest, Deepest” as Want to Read:
Hottest, Coldest, Highest, Deepest

Hottest, Coldest, Highest, Deepest

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  183 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Climb the tallest mountain, dive into the deepest lake, and navigate the longest river in Steve Jenkins' stunning new book that explores the wonders of the natural world. With his striking cut paper collages, Jenkins majestically captures the grand sense of scale, perspective and awe that only mother earth can inspire.
Published November 1st 2004 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Hottest, Coldest, Highest, Deepest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hottest, Coldest, Highest, Deepest

529_allie
May 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: infos-bios
“If you could visit any spot on earth, where would you go? What if you wanted to see some of the most amazing wonders in the world?” By opening up Hottest Coldest Highest Deepest, by Steve Jenkins, with these questions the reader is asked to imagine the amazing possibilities of this world we live in. Each two page spread introduces the reader to an extreme place on earth, which a young elementary school student may never have heard of. Whether it is the longest river, the deepest lake, or the h ...more
Dolly
This book offers a view into the most extreme places on Earth, places that are the superlative in elevation, depth, temperature, etc. The narrative is very informative without being too overwhelming with details. My only complaint is that it is overly factual, with no transitions or flow between the different pages.

The wonderful mixed media cut-paper collage illustrations are the highlight of the book, depicting the wide range in topographical, climatological and environmental conditions. The c
Amy
Jan 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nature
This was another book in which Steve Jenkins makes some unusual, science-y topic accessible to children. I was really rather surprised at how well my niece and nephew engaged with Hottest, Coldest, Highest, Deepest, because this is a book that I probably would not have found all that interesting as a child. Jenkins does a remarkable job of giving kids lots of visual aids that help them process the information in this book, and much to my surprise, the kids actually used these visuals and found t ...more
Shelli
Apr 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Told through mostly cut-paper collages this book describes places on planet Earth that are the most extreme. Hottest and coldest recorded temperatures? Wettest and driest climate? Highest and lowest elevation? And several more. I really liked how the author used the scale of an average six-foot-tall man or the Eiffel Tower to shown comparisons on many of the pages, giving the reader a better sense of scale.

This would be a wonderful addition to any school or classroom library.
Jc
Jan 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Earth has such diverse environments. Highest, driest, coldest, wettest all answered here.
Amber
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved how he added the comparisons on the pages, to help us grasp a better understanding of the "-est" of the information. Also liked the maps- would be useful when doing geography.
Aska
Nov 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book can be enjoyed from kindergarten to middle school students. However, it does not give in depth information, so it will not be appropriate for children that are using it for research. It gives a brief summary of each of the location that holds a record.
I enjoy all Steve Jenkins books but this book in particular I find it interesting. It's about the world's wonderful record holders. It explores the deepest place on earth, hottest, driest and so on. The text is very simple but also in ad
Pam
Apr 14, 2012 rated it liked it
At first glance I thought this was a wonderful book but by the end I saw it as a lost opportunity. In this book Steve Jenkins, both the author and illustrator, presents the "Hottest, Coldest, Highest, Deepest", as well as the longest, wettest.. places on earth in two page spreads. For each location, Jenkins inset small maps, as well as comparisons (height, length, depth, temperature...) of other locations to the one featured. The overall subject is a tremendous one, but Steve Jenkins fails it by ...more
Casey Brock
Reading level: higher K-2
Jenkin’s uses paint on the page that appears to give it a textured look. The texture makes the pictures come off the page and allows the reader to connect more to the animals and their surroundings. The illustrations in the story have the textured look, but there are also more “text book” style pictures off to the sides of the pages and give a clear and accurate look at the information as well. The text is pretty small throughout the book, but the words are written in a
Erin
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a terrific little informational text I shared with my students during our weather unit. Now that I think about it, this could also be used nicely for a lesson on superlatives or geography. My students were all very interested in the facts this book had to share. The one downside to it is that its format is not well-suited to a class read aloud, which is the way I was trying to share it. The graphics that accompany the text are an essential part of conveying the information and giving con ...more
Chandler Cash
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: information
I actually really liked this book and found it to be very interesting. The information on each page is clear and isn't to much at one time. The illustrations are also very nice and give a nice whole picture to the words.

For the classroom I would add this to the book shelve, after I fact checked the information since the author has only ever had an interest in science and not an actually degree or had anyone to check his facts. Despite this I think this would be a good addition for the book shelv
Caelyn Pietila
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
The book Hottest Coldest Highest Deepest written by Steve Jenkins is a story for small children that states fact about some of the most interesting characteristics about the world. It mentions the hottest place in the world, the coldest place in the world, as well as where the tallest mountain is located in the world. This story is a picture book with lots of colorful illustrations created by picture collages, and would be a great tool to teach children of all ages about geography around the wor ...more
Destinee Sutton
Oct 15, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: young trivia buffs
I watched the BBC documentary Planet Earth last weekend and they went to a lot of these places. Cool!

It's got really neat comparisons. Like Lake Baikal in Russia is almost five times as deep as the Empire State building is tall. Whoa! It contains more water than all the Great Lakes combined. Whoa! (The book's pretty U.S.-centric because most things are compared to American points of reference.)

The tallest waterfall is in Venezuela and it's 17 times as tall as Niagra. It's called Angel Falls.

An
Siskiyou-Suzy
Why is Mount Rainier in the illustration not covered with snow?! The description specifically SAYS it is covered with snow year-round, and having grown up in the shadow of Mount Rainier, IT'S TOTALLY COVERED WITH SNOW ALL YEAR. You can just see the elk head shape of rocks peeking out of the side in the summer. That illustration should've had an elk head. Or it should have at least matched the description (and the reality).
Becky B
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
A look at various place on Earth that are extremes.

I really like the charts on the side of each spread in this. Great example of turning stats into graphs, so could be good for science or math classes. Jenkins picked some interesting extremes, has some nice further info boxes on the runners up, and as always, has impressive illustrations. Great pick for curious kids, science classes and geography classes (there's a map of the world in the back of the book with each location pinpointed on it).
Paula Hollohan
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I like all the books that Steve Jenkins does. The art work is a great form of paper layering that makes the image of what he is showing really stand out. I like also the comparisons to the Empire State Building and to a 6 foot tall man. For Canadians, it would be great to find some Canadian comparisons instead of the American facts but that would be a lesson in itself. Great for an elementary library, K-6.
Cindi
Dec 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-science
Steve Jenkins has a wonderful knack for taking facts and presenting them in such a way that I am drawn in and awed every time I pick up one of his books. This book presents ideas like the longest rivers, the hottest desert, the tallest peaks etc. comparing them against more well-known standards (the height of a man's body, the empire state building, the width of the U.S.A etc.). I've gotta sell my kids on this one!
Beth
Mar 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
This non-fiction book presents some of the record-holding places throughout the world, including maps and comparative visuals. The visuals are excellent, keeping some elements common for height comparisons so students could add to their perceptions throughout the book.
As an adult reader, I wanted more details; this could definitely be a springboard to further research.
Bonnie
Aug 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a nice book that I feel can augment a geography lession for 4th-5th grader(s.) The pictures are diverse in structure and to have a map inside a map helps to orient the reader to the subject being discussed. I could see a teacher using this book to have younger children try to put in perspective how deep, hot, cold or high nature can be.
Ruth Ann
Aug 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: geography
Jenkins, a Boulder author/illustrator, uses cut-paper collages to show the reader some of the extreme and remarkable places on the planet. Interesting and compelling . . . a geography, art, and trivia book.
Kimberly Gill
This book gives facts about the extreme places of earth. I've used this book with third grade students. I had students do a group project after reading this book where they made posters about some of the places read about in the story.
Hanna Anderson
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the book and I am 20 years old. It has great illustrations but I wish they were actual pictures of the places that it talks about. I love the little facts in the smaller print. I was very interested all the way through the book.
Kelli
Feb 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
An interesting science picutre book about the extremes in nature. comparison pictures are really fun (how small the Empire State building would look if placed in the deepest part of the deepest lake, fo example). This book was a good conversation starter with my young science student.
Amy
May 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: global-education
I think this would be a popular book with kids that like to memorize factoids and trivia. My daughter doesn't so the meat of the text was a bit lost on her but she appreciated learning about a few extreme places she hadn't known about.
ABC
Jan 04, 2011 rated it liked it
I liked this book, but it didn't interest my son. It tells, of course, the hottest, coldest, highest and deepest places on earth as well as other facts of the extreme. There were interesting little factoids, like the Nile is the longest river, but the Amazon carries more water.
Deb Carter
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much I am going to buy a copy for my nieces. I loved the pictures, the graphs, and the maps. I knew most of the facts mentioned in the book but was surprised by many.
Tanya
Oct 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
this book makes learning interesting facts fun and enjoyable for kids as well as adults. It is geared towards children but I learned a few things too
Sunday Cummins
Fascinating.
See 529_Allie's review - well stated as far as content and usefulness in the classroom!
Emily
  • A River Ran Wild: An Environmental History
  • Pale Male:  Citizen Hawk of New York City
  • Tiny Creatures: The World of Microbes
  • Bird Talk: What Birds Are Saying and Why
  • The Animal Review: The Genius, Mediocrity, and Breathtaking Stupidity That Is Nature
  • Move!
  • The Griffin and the Dinosaur: How Adrienne Mayor Discovered a Fascinating Link Between Myth and Science
  • Red-eyed Tree Frog
  • Coral Reefs
Librarian's Note: There is more than one author with this name in the Goodreads database.
More about Steve Jenkins...

Nonfiction Deals

$7.74 $1.99
  • The Autobiography of Malcolm X
    $7.99 $1.99
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All Over But the Shoutin'
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Sous Chef: 24 Hours on the Line
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Three Nights in August: Strategy, Heartbreak, and Joy Inside the Mind of a Manager
    $14.99 $1.99