Start by marking “Once on a Time” as Want to Read:
Once on a Time

Once on a Time

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  706 Ratings  ·  117 Reviews
"This is an odd book" or so states the author in 1917 for his first introduction. A fairytale with seven league boots, a princess, an enchantment, and the Countess Belvane. As Milne wrote in a later introduction: "But, as you see, I am still finding it difficult to explain just what sort of book it is. Perhaps no explanation is necessary. Read in it what you like; read it ...more
Published 1971 by Puffin (first published 1917)

To ask other readers questions about Once on a Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once on a Time

Yvensong
Sep 16, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Yvensong by: Cherylllr
Shelves: fantasy, bookcrossing
This fairy tale written for adults is so much more. It is, on the surface, a satire of other fairy tales with the prerequisite King, Princess, Prince, "evil" Countess, and magic. Unlike fairy tales written for children, we dig a little deeper into the workings of the mind of these characters, and learn that what's on the surface isn't always the motivating factor.

Milne wrote this after being in WWI, so he also used this tale to look at how easy it is to start a war, (for some rather silly reason
Rachel Heffington
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love nonsense. I love fairytales. I love A.A. Milne. Is there anything more to be said? Oh yes. Read this, please.
Pica
Apr 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: ages 9-12
Shelves: ya, fantasy, humour, fiction
To anyone who thinks Milne only wrote books for very young children: boy, are you missing out! A. A. Milne is the author of an extensive canon of clever, whimsical and humorous writing, and this charming fairytale, according to the author himself, is one of his favourites. Written in 1915, this story includes a power-hungry Countess, a couple of foolish kings, an arrogant prince and his much-preferable wing-man, and a princess who is not at all sure she needs to be rescued. I can't help it; anym ...more
Elliott Davis
Nov 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is probably one of my favorite comedies of all time! Its HILARIOUS. At some points I had to stop reading it 'cause I was laughing so hard that everyone was looking at me like i was insane. Would recommend this to anyone.
Endlesscribbles
Rose Heartfilia
Okay so the long story about how I got this book was already posted before but I love how I got my hands on classic books without having to pay a single penny (since I'm very broke that makes things so easy). I don't know many second hand stores in my home town so it's difficult to find but I've got some and this is another classic book from the same writer as Winnie the Pooh.

I must say the book was alright, it was not very interesting story wise, it was very nicely written though and putting t
Kelly
May 29, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This wickedly funny satire deserves a wider audience. It's not really a children's book, although I first read it as a child because it was there on the library shelf in the children's section. It was a small library and I was running out of books. Hey, this one has a pink cover and looks like it might be fun to read...

It wasn't until I found the book again on the children's shelf of the library, but this time as an adult to read to my own children, that I realized what a gem it was and what was
Tandava Brahmachari
Mar 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-alouds
Absolutely charming and delightfully silly. Pure fluff of a story, with no purpose but to amuse, and yet the humor never feels forced, or even like the main focus, even though it's incredibly funny the entire way through. A line can be so casually inserted into a scene that you almost don't know how funny it is until you realize you just had to stop reading for two minutes so you could laugh. Fantastic book for reading aloud, too.
Melissa Anderson
Mar 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book was genius. It is also what it claimed to be: a fairy-tale for adults. The characters are amusing and addictive, the story-line is ingenious, the conversations and observations were enough to reduce one to tears of laughter. I read it the first time when I was still in elementary school, but it is one book that has certainly grown better with time!
Clara
Apr 01, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Clara by: marie
This was a delightful read. I loved how Milne is able to create very consistent characters. While I will probably always call Pooh my favorite of Milne's (and "The Red House Mystery" my favorite adult novel of his), this was truly very fun to read.
  • The Rose and the Ring
  • The Magic City
  • The Devil's Storybook
  • Brendon Chase
  • The World's Best Fairy Tales
  • Memory of Fire (The World Gates, #1)
  • Night and Horses and the Desert: An Anthology of Classical Arabic Literature
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • Five Little Peppers Abroad
  • Canes of Divergence (Dusk Gate Chronicles #5)
  • The Light Princess
Alan Alexander Milne (pronounced /ˈmɪln/) was an English author, best known for his books about the teddy bear Winnie-the-Pooh and for various children's poems.

A. A. Milne was born in Kilburn, London, to parents Vince Milne and Sarah Marie Milne (née Heginbotham) and grew up at Henley House School, 6/7 Mortimer Road (now Crescent), Kilburn, a small public school run by his father. One of his teac
More about A.A. Milne...
“His dress told her nothing, but his face told her things which she was glad to know.” 81 likes
“She also considered very seriously what she would look like in a little cottage in the middle of the forest, dressed in a melancholy gray and holding communion only with the birds and trees; a life of retirement away from the vain world; a life into which no man came. It had its attractions, but she decided that gray did not suit her.” 74 likes