Start by marking “Walking Shadows (Geekvamp, #2)” as Want to Read:
Walking Shadows (Geekvamp, #2)

Walking Shadows

(The Vampires of Melbourne)

Lissa Wilson has had one hell of a year. When people she cared about kept turning up dead, she discovered that The Opposite of Life is not always death – at least, not final death anyway. When they tried killing her too, life went from bad to worse.

On the plus side, she made a friend.

Gary Hooper may be the most inept vampire in the world, but he’s taught Lissa the real va
Published June 2012 by Clan Destine Press

To ask other readers questions about Walking Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Walking Shadows

Start your review of Walking Shadows (Geekvamp, #2)
Sally
Jun 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
A solid 4.5 stars.

I got Walking Shadows at the launch the day before yesterday, started it yesterday evening, was laughing out loud by page three and read straight through to finish in the early hours of this morning.

"Walking Shadows" is an excellent sequel to "The Opposite of Life". Characters we know and love are back, along with those we know and will never love and a few significant new ones for added interest and plot development. All are well formed and believable within context.

The dialog
Karen
Aug 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Okay, so what I'm really saying is that I don't get vampire fiction, unless it's Swedish or funny, and it probably helps to be set in my home state. To be honest I doubt I would have even given WALKING SHADOWS another glance, only I was doing the formatting of the ebook, and phrases, passages and paragraphs kept catching my eye. (Sorry Lindy and Narrelle ... I suspect it took me a little longer to do that ebook than would normally be the case). So anyway, at the end of it, I just figured I had t ...more
Paula Weston
Jun 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal, thriller

I read The Opposite of Life (the first from this series) back in 2008 and thoroughly enjoyed its wit, originality and unexpected poignancy, so it was fun to get reacquainted with librarian Lissa and her very uncool (but lovable) vampire buddy Gary.

In The Opposite of Life, Lissa considers becoming a vampire to avoid the pain of losing people close to her. But she has a change of heart when she befriends Gary and understands there's more to being alive than having a heartbeat.

This time ar
Suzanne (Doppleganger)
Jun 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I don't know how Narrelle Harris has largely escaped notice in the US and why her books aren't selling off the shelves as quickly as Charlaine Harris or Patricia Briggs. As happy as I am to have discovered the gem of her writing, I wish more people knew about her too!

I adore these characters! Gary is back at his awkward best, and Lissa is more confident but just as likely to stumble headlong into trouble. They make an unlikely pair, which makes their adventures together tons of fun to read.

E.H. Alger
Nov 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Vampires are not my thing at all, but that said, I did enjoy this book. I didn't realise it was a sequel when I picked it up, but it stands on its own very well. Loved the Melbourne setting and laughed out loud on discovering that Gary the daggy vampire lives in Glen Waverley. (I dunno why that's so funny, but having lived in Glen Waverley for much of my life, it just is. I'm still chuckling.)
Tsana Dolichva
Jul 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Walking Shadows by Narrelle M Harris is actually the second novel featuring these characters, something I didn't realise until after I'd bought it. However, I can happily report that reading it without reading the prequel first in no way affected by enjoyment of it.

Lissa is a Melbournian librarian whose best friend, Gary, is a dorky vampire. Shenanigans ensue when the vampires of Melbourne start being killed in dramatically permanent ways. Lissa, concerned for Gary, can't help but stick her nose
Alexandra Taylor
reread. originally read June 2012.

Originally posted: http://www.novelthoughts.org/review-w...

Friendship. Love. Awkwardness. Lust. Drama. Adventure. Action. Tribulations. Family. Vampires. Melbourne.

I was introduced to this series by a friend in 2011. It appealed to me for a number of reasons beyond the fact it was written by a local Melbourne author. Beyond the fact that the Vampires in these books are different to most others the main human is a socially awkward Librarian. For those who don’t k
Ben Langdon
Mar 11, 2015 rated it liked it
This is the first vampire book I've read which is set in Melbourne. I think Narrelle Harris has that particular niche market covered, and she does a great job with the descriptions of the city. She also imbues the vampire community with an ancient history which sort of goes alongside Victorian history too, to an extent.

The story itself is okay. It sets up adversaries, untrustworthy 'allies' and an opportunity for Lissa and Gary to show their heroism while also painting the other vampires as a co
Paul
Jun 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vampires
The sequel to Harris's The Opposite of Life, this book expands the backstories and history of her characters while still being a new story.

I liked this better than the first one. The relationship between Gary and Lissa is a great friendship and we can all wish for someone like this in our lives. While some of the surprises weren't a surprise (I knew Evan was not going to be a chance encounter, but hey that's what happens when a strange new character suddenly appears) the pace of the story moved
Tamara Witika
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-book
Loved Lissa and Garyʻs friendship, reminded me of the intense but finite friendships one is capable of having with other people when in your early 20's. No one has babies, wives or mortgages to get in the way of connecting with many people on different levels, to fulfil different needs. Narrelle Harris takes us on a thorough trip across many parts of Melbourne and shows us the cool things we have here (NGV, St Kilda Esplanade) and the dodgy alleyways of the CBD, ripe for all sorts of dark exploi ...more
Tom
Jul 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Reading small Australian publishers. Australian authors, characters and locations. Greatest vampire story I've read in a long, long time. There's snark and there's style in this book. Melbourne comes to live in clear scenes, bustling with energy and people. The heroes are well drawn and a perfect example of being stronger than their individual parts - alone they are lost, but together they are fierce. Highly recommended!
Kirsty
Aug 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Love that this book is set in my home town, which is a rarity. I can picture exactly where the characters are, and follow the tram routes in my mind. Also love that, while there may be some romance, it is not between the two main characters - they really are just good friends. This is so refreshing in urban fantasy these days - actually, in books in general. Well written and fun, four stars.
Kyla Ward
A sequel to "The Opposite of Life" (Pulp Fiction Press, 2007) that somehow manages to intensify the stress between horror and 'joi de vive' that is the author's hallmark. The most grounded vampire stories out there, both interesting and well-written.
Kate Gordon
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was so much fun. I'm officially a fan!
George Ivanoff
Aug 19, 2015
Stephanie
Nov 07, 2012 added it
Shelves: read-2012, n-o
Aurealis Awards entry; review to be added after judging finishes.
Tim Richards
Brianna
Jan 18, 2014
Julie
Jun 08, 2012
I grew up in a home bursting with books. My father was in the Royal Australian Air Force – we moved roughly every three years – and my parents were passionate advocates of reading and the importance of access to a library of ideas, no matter where we lived.

Between a childhood spent on the move yet steeped in literature, and a naturally dramatic personality, it’s no surprise I became a storyteller.

The Vampires of Melbourne (2 books)
  • The Opposite of Life (Geekvamp, #1)