Start by marking “Ramayana” as Want to Read:
Ramayana

Ramayana

Ramayana is one of the greatest epics of Hindu Religion.The author captures the pathos and beauty of Valmiki's magic in inimatable manner.Written in homely style,the work is striking in originality and beauty of expression. The popularity of the book is so great that it has run into forty two impressions ever since it was originally published in the year 1951
Paperback, 51st, 492 pages
Published December 1st 2007 by Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan (first published August 19th 1951)

Swathi Kiranmayee Manchili
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: epics, favourites
As part of reading different versions of Ramayana, I have read this book.
This is the best one I have come across till date. The author presents the story devoid of his opinion or biases which is something I liked.
I also liked the way he draws parallels between Valmiki Ramayana and Kamban Ramayana.
Such a relief to read this after reading Devdutt Patnaik's version ('Sita' one of the worst books I have read)
Gillian
Feb 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The reason I'm giving this five stars is because the author provides a detailed glossary of anglicized sanskrit words, as well as a guide to pronouncing sanskrit vowels. While he chooses not to include a translation of what he calls "the legend" of Sita's betrayal, he still provides an extremely detailed translation of Valmiki's text as it is, including some translation from the poet Kamban's version of the Ramayana (who translated it into Tamil). However, this book is very simply put forward, a ...more
Danial Syahreza
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this for my Bahasa Indonesia school task and I actually enjoyed it! Rama is an amazing character and a great role model for literally everyone in this entire world.

I've never read anything about Hindu Mythology, and this book made me so interested on finding out more about Hindu Mythology. The relationships in this book was amazing. Rama, Lesmana, Hanoman & Sugriwa are literally BRO GOALS.

First few chapters made me a little bit confuse, maybe because I wasn't used to the language and
Ajay
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Even though i knew this epic, it's a different experience to read the work of Rajaji. Simple to read, pointing out the different views by different authors. Its a mix of Kambar and Valmiki Ramayana. It just gives a whole new perspective.
Udit Srivastava
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There was a line in the final credits background song in Ramananda Sagar's Ramayana, which I fondly watched as a child- "Puni Puni Kitne hi Kahe Sunave, Jiya ki Pyaas bujhat na Bujhae", which loosely translates to-" Even after repeated re-tellings of this beautiful story of Shree Ram, the heart does not get tired of listening to it".
This line broadly sums up my review for this book, which I wanted to write in detail. It is a long read and took me a while to complete. As most of the Indians, I wa
Ganesh Muthupalani
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kavya Chilukuri
Jan 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
A must read for those who want to get their facts right about the mythological (Or might I say historical) story.
Rajaji's thoughts and opinions and the slight variations in the versions by Kamban and Valmeeki are gently woven into the storytelling, making it a very enjoyable and informative read.
Kids would find this very enlightening and enjoyable as this prose is generally devoid of philosophical opinions which are usually found in such books and may serve as a detractor for young minds.
Ramayan
Pramod Nair
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of the best and easy to read translations of Ramayana to English written in beautiful poetic prose.
Mukundhan Sampath
May 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book! An authority on Ramayana! Superb language and very concise. In my opinion, a must read.
Satwik
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this book due to my curiosity as the characters in the book are heard by every Indian on a daily basis. Im no Spiritual guy & i read the book out of curiosity about my favorite Character Hanuman.

firstly one thing the reader finds in the book is the attention to detail given by Valmiki in this epic. And this book is not the original version but a concise version of original Valmiki Ramayana By Rajaji.

Why i Liked this book -
- It gives the list of virtues that a Human being must posse
JJ
This book is a retelling of Valmiki's ancient poem, the Ramayana. The original poem is tremendously long - usually running for at least three large volumes in translation. For many readers without a scholarly or religious interest in ancient India, this is just too long. For many more (particularly non-Indian) readers, the original may also pose certain cultural challenges.

Rajagopalachari here provides a bridge across these gulfs. His retelling is targeted both at adults and at children. He writ
Achyuth Murlei
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Notebook? Romeo and Juliet? P.S. I Love you?
Why not The Ramayana?

An expertly crafted book with the proper mixture of dialogue and commentary.
This version of Ramayana appeals to all sections and strata of the society, and being a very picky reader, this book stands out amongst the few books I've read till date.

Very few books stir up emotion like this one did. The fluidity of the language never fails to bring up the very same feelings felt by the characters in the book.

Overall, a very wholeso
Karthikeyan
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
A true rendition of the Valmiki Ramayanam. The language is simple and fun to read. Rajaji's way of comparing Valmiki's work with other versions of Ramayana and citing appropriate material from other sources shows his wide-ranging knowledge.

Too many lessons to learn from this epic. This has given me a chance to pick sections from this story that I will ever cite for a lifetime, to myself and to others.
Arjunirvana
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What is righteous in an era may not be in another, but values, virility & leadership will remain through the ages. Ramayana will give you the benchmark of those qualities which serves as a great anchor in your day to day life.
Div
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this book a long time ago but really enjoyed it. I am glad that I read it.
hari
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read..

One of the best translated version of the Ramayan and easy to read..Simple and forthright in style and using words..
Antti
Mar 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As students, my wife and I traveled to different parts of Asia, and this seemed to be the dominant theme in various dance performances Kerala to Bali.

We thought of buying the book, Ramayana, itsellf, but it was always too large, notwhithstanding the language barriers with academic translations.

That's why it was a pleasure to find in Delhi in June, 1986, at more than 45C degree hot weather a bookstore targeted to children, and to find easier read for Ramayana.

On 300 pages - the whole story.

Rama
Namratha
While the norm is to read Valmiki’s massive rendition, I decided to delve back into Lord Rama’s world through the words of C.Rajagopalachari. Reputed for his simple prose and intuitive grasp for reading between the lines, the author manages to preserve the sanctity of the Ramayana without being pedantic.

The Ramayana is the mothership of epic Indian Fantasy. It is, in every sense of the phrase, a tale as old as time and is packed to the rafters with a noble hero, a beautiful heroine, a schemin
Abieffendi
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
note that at its epilogue, writer said thst this book he wrote particularly for children to learn and immerse the good and virtuous character this book has in them. However this is also very enjoyable and rich of moral lessons for any adult.

the story told, since written for children, in a very easy english language. So it is recommended for any beginner or intermediate english learner.

The additional point of this book is also how the writer often add explanation paragraph to lead any reader to
Ashish
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
The story started with a good pace but somewhere in the middle lost the traction, and changed from a narrative to dialogue between characters.
Nice comparison at suitable places of deviations observed in Sri Ramcharitmanas compared to the original Ramayana and translated version The Kamba Ramayana.
Though at some places, the narrative seemed wanting for explanation but a good justice to the original objective of the book - A simplified no-frills Ramayana.
Prasad GR
Dec 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Easily among the best books I've read. Rajaji's retelling is infused with so much love and devotion, that I've ended up with a deep desire to read the originals penned by Valmiki and Kamban. To think that my curiosity over Delhi University's ban on A K Ramanujan's essay 'Three Hundred Ramayanas' would be so amply rewarded is in itself exhilarating.
Emma
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have deducted one star as the book is riddled with spelling, grammar and typographical errors. However the translation is written in an easy to follow and engaging style and putting aside my pedantry, I found it enjoyable. If you are new to Hinduism and the Ramayana, the multiple names used for the protagonists can be initially confusing as these aren't explained.
Parimal Patil
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
having read ramayana before, i was expecting similar read in this book.But Mr rajagopalachari has meticulously written all the happenings in the ramayana & distributed them in 75 chapters.
The way he has explained the nature's beauty, characters & the incidents is truly marvelous.
Five starer without an iota of doubt.
Kaushik Mitra
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent book by C Rajagopalachari ...
It's a pity that most indians don't ever read these books , what a wonderful book Ramayana truly is !

The best part of the book is infact the last chapter where the author points out the difference between Ram of Ramayana and Krishna of Mahabharata ... gives a lot of clarity about why Ram behaved the way he did in the epic ...
Arjun Pradhan
Jun 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
good for basic knowledge of ramayana, would recommend it as school text
krishna durvasula
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Written in a simple and crisp language. It's a book for the ages and can be read by any age group
Aravind
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Rajaji's retelling of this epic is simple, succinct and hugely enjoyable!
Arjun.R.Nair
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Miss my school dayss...
Jagadeesh
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book

Had good overview of Ramayana which fits to the modern world theme and covers most of the story with little bit of modernization
Bolenk
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great book. We can find a lot of advice for our life. We can learn from this story.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Ramayan 3392 AD, Vol. 1 (Ramayan 3392 AD, #1)
  • Amar Chitra Katha Mahabharata Vol. 1-3
  • Srimad-Bhagavatam: Bhagavata Purana (18 Vol. Set)
  • Sita: Daughter of the Earth (Campfire Graphic Novels)
  • Wisanggeni: Sang Buronan
  • Excalibur: The Legend of King Arthur
  • Rise of the Black Panther
  • The Mahabharata: A Modern Rendering, Vol. 2
  • The Book of Yudhishthira (Krishnavatara #7)
  • Maha-bharata The Epic of Ancient India Condensed into English Verse
  • The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Annual 2013
  • A Brief History of the Great Moghuls
  • The Religion of Java
  • Mahabharat
  • Adventures of a Wimpy Werewolf: Hairy But Not Scary
  • The Holy Vedas
  • Hindu Myths: A Sourcebook
Valmiki is celebrated as the poet harbinger in Sanskrit literature. He is the author of the epic Ramayana, based on the attribution in the text of the epic itself.He is revered as the Adi Kavi, which means First Poet, for he discovered the first śloka i.e. first verse, which set the base and defined the form to Sanskrit poetry. The Yoga Vasistha is attributed to him. A religious movement called Va ...more
“What is whole, this is whole; what has come out of the whole is also whole. When the whole is taken out of the whole, the whole still remains whole.” 0 likes