Start by marking “Ramayana” as Want to Read:
Ramayana

Ramayana

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  1,160 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Ramayana is one of the greatest epics of Hindu Religion.The author captures the pathos and beauty of Valmiki's magic in inimatable manner.Written in homely style,the work is striking in originality and beauty of expression. The popularity of the book is so great that it has run into forty two impressions ever since it was originally published in the year 1951
Paperback, 51st, 492 pages
Published December 1st 2007 by Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan (first published August 19th 1951)

To ask other readers questions about Ramayana, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ramayana

The Immortals of Meluha by Amish TripathiThe Secret of the Nagas by Amish TripathiThe Oath of the Vayuputras by Amish TripathiMahabharata by Krishna-Dwaipayana VyasaThe Chronicle of Sapta Sindhu by Aporva Kala
Indian Mythology
10th out of 137 books — 251 voters
Hamlet by William ShakespeareThe Odyssey by Homer1984 by George OrwellCrime and Punishment by Fyodor DostoyevskyPride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
The 100 Most Influential Works
57th out of 103 books — 37 voters

More lists with this book...

Gillian
The reason I'm giving this five stars is because the author provides a detailed glossary of anglicized sanskrit words, as well as a guide to pronouncing sanskrit vowels. While he chooses not to include a translation of what he calls "the legend" of Sita's betrayal, he still provides an extremely detailed translation of Valmiki's text as it is, including some translation from the poet Kamban's version of the Ramayana (who translated it into Tamil). However, this book is very simply put forward, a ...more
Nuning Soedibjo
Baru pertama kali saya membaca buku Ramayana versi pengarang India. Ada banyak cerita yang baru saya ketahui, dan versi ini sangat berbeda dengan versi Jawa yang sudah saya baca.

Misalnya Trijata, digambarkan sebagai raksasa disini. Padahal di versi Jawa, Trijata digambarkan sebagai putri yang cantik. Ada beberapa tokoh yang tidak diceritakan disini, misalnya Trigangga kalau tidak salah.

Namun buku ini cukup memberikan porsi yang besar kepada Hanoman.

Banyak cerita yang sangat menarik di kisah Rama
Antti
As students, my wife and I traveled to different parts of Asia, and this seemed to be the dominant theme in various dance performances Kerala to Bali.

We thought of buying the book, Ramayana, itsellf, but it was always too large, notwhithstanding the language barriers with academic translations.

That's why it was a pleasure to find in Delhi in June, 1986, at more than 45C degree hot weather a bookstore targeted to children, and to find easier read for Ramayana.

On 300 pages - the whole story.

Rama
Sara
I first read the Ramayana when I lived in India a decade ago, and had a much different impression of it reading it again. First, now that I'm a mother myself, I see more clearly how engrossing a story it is for kids, a way to impart the values of a culture in the most engaging and memorable way. Magic monkeys, 10-headed demon gods, and army of bears, more blood than you can shake a stick at, it's a rich, engrossing story full of moments of hilarity and poignancy. That said, as a modern woman, th ...more
Scott Ray
As a westerner reading this it was a good book....I compared it to reading the Roman or Greek Mythology that we all read throughout school. It is very useful to know the stories that shape the Indian culture.

As for this translation: It is written in modern English (I think 1972 was the last edition). It is written in prose...the original is written in poetry/song. So...you miss a lot of the original art of the story....but you know the stories...

The other thing about this version is that the aut
Prasad GR
Easily among the best books I've read. Rajaji's retelling is infused with so much love and devotion, that I've ended up with a deep desire to read the originals penned by Valmiki and Kamban. To think that my curiosity over Delhi University's ban on A K Ramanujan's essay 'Three Hundred Ramayanas' would be so amply rewarded is in itself exhilarating.
Abhimanyu Saraf
This was my first read and took me a long time to finish in small parts. Details provided reveal new sides and facts about the epic that is unknown to most. I believe this version is not tampered with and one of the most authentic conversions one will find for English reading of the epic.
Jeanne
A decent retelling of the Ramayana, one of the fundamental myths of Hinduism. Rajagopalachari has a tendency to divert from the main story with side comments on his personal interpretations of the morals depicted in the story. Otherwise, it was a good education into Indian culture.
Vel
good story. but that man was an cunning politician. he corrupt the story also. everlasting story was completely corrupted by his way of narration
Andrew
This summary/translation of an incredibly important epic is both entertaining and poetic. I recommend it highly.
Amit
Ramayana - Probably the book that saved me or ruined me. The verdict is still out! Still i love it. Awesome book!
Divya
Nov 29, 2008 Divya marked it as to-read
It's sitting on my desk waiting to be read .. i love the story and need to refresh myself on the details.
deepak vijay
This version is good but one will want to read the full version to better appreciate this epic.
Kimberlee
Another book that I had the pleasure of reading while in India for 3 months in 2010.
Bolenk
Great book. We can find a lot of advice for our life. We can learn from this story.
Arjun Pradhan
good for basic knowledge of ramayana, would recommend it as school text
Siska
This is more like roman than epic, was a so so reading.
Rishmi
YAY I'M DONE! AND IT ONLY TOOK SEVEN MONTHS!

Ashish Jaituni
A good read, just like his 'Mahabharata'
Ashima
Aug 27, 2012 Ashima added it
Very simple read but enjoyable nonetheless
Bwhittell Whittell
It's the Ramayana...not a bad book
Nanaku
don't really like the story
Omprakash
rama yanam into myself
Kavya Chilukuri
A must read for those who want to get their facts right about the mythological (Or might I say historical) story.
Rajaji's thoughts and opinions and the slight variations in the versions by Kamban and Valmeeki are gently woven into the storytelling, making it a very enjoyable and informative read.
Kids would find this very enlightening and enjoyable as this prose is generally devoid of philosophical opinions which are usually found in such books and may serve as a detractor for young minds.
Ramayan
Killthepopular
I enjoyed this. I liked how much editorialising the author did. Most authors would be resigned to using just a few footnotes here and there but Rajaji will happily stop in the middle of a scene and discuss the different versions and different interpretations of the narrative as well as expressing his own personal opinions. It's pretty indulgent but he seems like a wise and charming author so i appreciated it.

I enjoyed the story and would recommend this version of the Ramayana to anyone with an i
S Sadagopan
Had enormous influence on me when I read it first in 70's
I keep reading it multiple times in the past 40 years

Will recommend to any one
Sriram
Brilliant retelling of the Ramayana. In my childhood day, I would have read and re-read this book many many times all over.
Sreekala Madhavan
Ramamyana made more sense to me after reading this book
Karthik Kashyap
nice translation. a simple language being used.
  • Srimad-Bhagavatam: Bhagavata Purana (18 Vol. Set)
  • The Rig Veda
  • Wisanggeni: Sang Buronan
  • The Mahabharata: A Modern Rendering, Vol. 1
  • Krishnavatara: The Book of Satyabhama (Volume V)
  • The Book of Ram
  • Pengakuan Pariyem: Dunia Batin Seorang Wanita Jawa
  • The Vendor of Sweets
  • Living with the Himalayan Masters
  • Mahabarata
Chakravarti Rajagopalachari, informally called Rajaji or C.R., was an Indian lawyer, independence activist, politician, writer and statesman. Rajagopalachari was the last Governor-General of India. He also served as leader of the Indian National Congress, Premier of the Madras Presidency, Governor of West Bengal, Minister for Home Affairs of the Indian Union and Chief Minister of Madras state. Raj ...more
More about C. Rajagopalachari...
Kitab Epos Mahabharata Mahabharata Bhaja Govindam: A Song Of Sri Sankara (Golden Thread Series) Hinduism, doctrine and way of life Avvaiar - A great Tamil Poetess