Start by marking “Ramayana” as Want to Read:
Ramayana

Ramayana

4.15  ·  Rating Details ·  1,884 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews
Ramayana is one of the greatest epics of Hindu Religion.The author captures the pathos and beauty of Valmiki's magic in inimatable manner.Written in homely style,the work is striking in originality and beauty of expression. The popularity of the book is so great that it has run into forty two impressions ever since it was originally published in the year 1951
Paperback, 51st, 492 pages
Published December 1st 2007 by Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan (first published August 19th 1951)

To ask other readers questions about Ramayana, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ramayana

Swathi Kiranmayee Manchili
Apr 05, 2017 Swathi Kiranmayee Manchili rated it it was amazing
As part of reading different versions of Ramayana, I have read this book.
This is the best one I have come across till date. The author presents the story devoid of his opinion or biases which is something I liked.
I also liked the way he draws parallels between Valmiki Ramayana and Kamban Ramayana.
Such a relief to read this after reading Devdutt Patnaik's version ('Sita' one of the worst books I have read)
Gillian
Feb 21, 2012 Gillian rated it it was amazing
The reason I'm giving this five stars is because the author provides a detailed glossary of anglicized sanskrit words, as well as a guide to pronouncing sanskrit vowels. While he chooses not to include a translation of what he calls "the legend" of Sita's betrayal, he still provides an extremely detailed translation of Valmiki's text as it is, including some translation from the poet Kamban's version of the Ramayana (who translated it into Tamil). However, this book is very simply put forward, a ...more
Danial Syah Reza
Mar 18, 2016 Danial Syah Reza rated it it was amazing
I read this for my Bahasa Indonesia school task and I actually enjoyed it! Rama is an amazing character and a great role model for literally everyone in this entire world.

I've never read anything about Hindu Mythology, and this book made me so interested on finding out more about Hindu Mythology. The relationships in this book was amazing. Rama, Lesmana, Hanoman & Sugriwa are literally BRO GOALS.

First few chapters made me a little bit confuse, maybe because I wasn't used to the language and
Pramod Nair
Jan 28, 2015 Pramod Nair rated it it was amazing
One of the best and easy to read translations of Ramayana to English written in beautiful poetic prose.
Sara
Aug 28, 2013 Sara rated it liked it
I first read the Ramayana when I lived in India a decade ago, and had a much different impression of it reading it again. First, now that I'm a mother myself, I see more clearly how engrossing a story it is for kids, a way to impart the values of a culture in the most engaging and memorable way. Magic monkeys, 10-headed demon gods, and army of bears, more blood than you can shake a stick at, it's a rich, engrossing story full of moments of hilarity and poignancy. That said, as a modern woman, th ...more
Kavya Chilukuri
Jan 14, 2014 Kavya Chilukuri rated it really liked it
A must read for those who want to get their facts right about the mythological (Or might I say historical) story.
Rajaji's thoughts and opinions and the slight variations in the versions by Kamban and Valmeeki are gently woven into the storytelling, making it a very enjoyable and informative read.
Kids would find this very enlightening and enjoyable as this prose is generally devoid of philosophical opinions which are usually found in such books and may serve as a detractor for young minds.
Ramayan
Mukundhan Sampath
May 14, 2016 Mukundhan Sampath rated it it was amazing
Excellent book! An authority on Ramayana! Superb language and very concise. In my opinion, a must read.
Amulya Saikia
Beautifully written touching all the main and sub character of the epic.
Satwik
Jan 19, 2016 Satwik rated it it was amazing
I read this book due to my curiosity as the characters in the book are heard by every Indian on a daily basis. Im no Spiritual guy & i read the book out of curiosity about my favorite Character Hanuman.

firstly one thing the reader finds in the book is the attention to detail given by Valmiki in this epic. And this book is not the original version but a concise version of original Valmiki Ramayana By Rajaji.

Why i Liked this book -
- It gives the list of virtues that a Human being must posse
Emma
Feb 16, 2017 Emma rated it really liked it
I have deducted one star as the book is riddled with spelling, grammar and typographical errors. However the translation is written in an easy to follow and engaging style and putting aside my pedantry, I found it enjoyable. If you are new to Hinduism and the Ramayana, the multiple names used for the protagonists can be initially confusing as these aren't explained.
Marina Zala
** Books 57 - 2015 **

Buku ini untuk memenuhi New Author Reading Challenge 2015

3,4 dari 5 bintang

Akhirnya inilah buku dari C. Rajagopalachari pertama yang saya baca. Trus kalo Mahabharata baca buku versi siapa dong? hahaa versi Buku Mahabharata yang saya baca pertama kali adalah The Palace of Illusions by Chitra Divakaruni dan Mahabharata versi Nyoman S Pendit.. jadi benar karya C. Rajagopalachari ini yang berhasil saya baca pertama kali

kalo ceritanya sama ya seperti yang dikisahkan orang2 ja
Antti
Mar 05, 2013 Antti rated it it was amazing
As students, my wife and I traveled to different parts of Asia, and this seemed to be the dominant theme in various dance performances Kerala to Bali.

We thought of buying the book, Ramayana, itsellf, but it was always too large, notwhithstanding the language barriers with academic translations.

That's why it was a pleasure to find in Delhi in June, 1986, at more than 45C degree hot weather a bookstore targeted to children, and to find easier read for Ramayana.

On 300 pages - the whole story.

Rama
Nuning Soedibjo
Jan 06, 2013 Nuning Soedibjo rated it liked it
Baru pertama kali saya membaca buku Ramayana versi pengarang India. Ada banyak cerita yang baru saya ketahui, dan versi ini sangat berbeda dengan versi Jawa yang sudah saya baca.

Misalnya Trijata, digambarkan sebagai raksasa disini. Padahal di versi Jawa, Trijata digambarkan sebagai putri yang cantik. Ada beberapa tokoh yang tidak diceritakan disini, misalnya Trigangga kalau tidak salah.

Namun buku ini cukup memberikan porsi yang besar kepada Hanoman.

Banyak cerita yang sangat menarik di kisah Rama
Namratha
While the norm is to read Valmiki’s massive rendition, I decided to delve back into Lord Rama’s world through the words of C.Rajagopalachari. Reputed for his simple prose and intuitive grasp for reading between the lines, the author manages to preserve the sanctity of the Ramayana without being pedantic.

The Ramayana is the mothership of epic Indian Fantasy. It is, in every sense of the phrase, a tale as old as time and is packed to the rafters with a noble hero, a beautiful heroine, a schemin
Abieffendi
Oct 07, 2016 Abieffendi rated it it was amazing
note that at its epilogue, writer said thst this book he wrote particularly for children to learn and immerse the good and virtuous character this book has in them. However this is also very enjoyable and rich of moral lessons for any adult.

the story told, since written for children, in a very easy english language. So it is recommended for any beginner or intermediate english learner.

The additional point of this book is also how the writer often add explanation paragraph to lead any reader to
Jas Kapoor
I thought it was a complete Ramayana by Valmiki. But it was for kids more like a story book.
Ashish
Jan 15, 2016 Ashish rated it really liked it
The story started with a good pace but somewhere in the middle lost the traction, and changed from a narrative to dialogue between characters.
Nice comparison at suitable places of deviations observed in Sri Ramcharitmanas compared to the original Ramayana and translated version The Kamba Ramayana.
Though at some places, the narrative seemed wanting for explanation but a good justice to the original objective of the book - A simplified no-frills Ramayana.
Abdurrachman Mappuji
When I was a senior high school student in 2011, I read a book about Steve Jobs. Ex-CEO of Apple Inc Biography by Walter Isaacson. In the book it is told that when Steve Jobs go to India, he saw that Indian people see the life and the world with intuition. Frankly speaking, Steve Jobs sees that Indian is intuition-minded people. I don't know what is exactly meant until I read this book. In this book, I see that people in Ramayana believe in karma, and believe in bad luck sign. Ramayana shows how ...more
Scott Ray
Aug 05, 2011 Scott Ray rated it liked it
As a westerner reading this it was a good book....I compared it to reading the Roman or Greek Mythology that we all read throughout school. It is very useful to know the stories that shape the Indian culture.

As for this translation: It is written in modern English (I think 1972 was the last edition). It is written in prose...the original is written in poetry/song. So...you miss a lot of the original art of the story....but you know the stories...

The other thing about this version is that the aut
John Burns
Oct 08, 2012 John Burns rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels
I enjoyed this. I liked how much editorialising the author did. Most authors would be resigned to using just a few footnotes here and there but Rajaji will happily stop in the middle of a scene and discuss the different versions and different interpretations of the narrative as well as expressing his own personal opinions. It's pretty indulgent but he seems like a wise and charming author so i appreciated it.

I enjoyed the story and would recommend this version of the Ramayana to anyone with an i
Achyuth  Murlei
Nov 27, 2016 Achyuth Murlei rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Notebook? Romeo and Juliet? P.S. I Love you?
Why not The Ramayana?

An expertly crafted book with the proper mixture of dialogue and commentary.
This version of Ramayana appeals to all sections and strata of the society, and being a very picky reader, this book stands out amongst the few books I've read till date.

Very few books stir up emotion like this one did. The fluidity of the language never fails to bring up the very same feelings felt by the characters in the book.

Jai Shree Ram.
Nishant Chauhan
Aug 02, 2015 Nishant Chauhan rated it really liked it
I read this concise version of this epic Hindu mythology a long ago. A good crafted book with the proper mixture of dialogue and commentary. Although it has not covered all the depth of this epic story but a superb book to get oneself familiar with story of Ramayana. The original was written in poetry/song. So you miss a lot of the original art of the story but you get to know the stories associated. Learning in the story, richness of emotions, portray of characters, presentation of events are s ...more
Arvind Srinivasan
The first parts till rama reaches panchavati has some interesting branch stories that is not generally known through reading other books.
But after that story moves too fast like highlights and has nothing really new.
Since was expecting new informations felt a bit let down towards the end.
Still a good read in case you have not read ramayan much. Incase have read different version read till panchavati episode.
Krupa
Mar 26, 2014 Krupa rated it really liked it
I spent my childhood listening to stories of the Ramayana. Over the years I have figured out the sketch of he story. I wanted to read this book to understand all he characters and events better. The descriptions are elaborate and helps the reader sketch the image in their minds. References to Valmiki and Kamban and the difference in their point of views are extremely interesting. A book I can read again :)
Kaushik Mitra
Nov 03, 2015 Kaushik Mitra rated it it was amazing
Another excellent book by C Rajagopalachari ...
It's a pity that most indians don't ever read these books , what a wonderful book Ramayana truly is !

The best part of the book is infact the last chapter where the author points out the difference between Ram of Ramayana and Krishna of Mahabharata ... gives a lot of clarity about why Ram behaved the way he did in the epic ...
Muhammad Khuluk
Jul 14, 2014 Muhammad Khuluk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
intinya hanya pada soal cinta antara rama dan sintha, yang pada akhirnya berakhir dengan tidak indah karena ada rasa takut yang dialami rama terhadap shinta. kisahnya bagus, bagian yang paling saya suka adalah ketika hanoman menyerbu alengka.
kisah ramayana meski lebih lampau dan klasik, tak lebih megah dari mahaharata, kisah di dalam mahabharata lebih kompleks dan menarik.
Cynthia Kosasih
Sep 01, 2013 Cynthia Kosasih rated it it was amazing
Jdi inget, yang jual buku sampe bingung.. Tumben ada anak smp beli novel wayang..wkwkk XD
Daripada novel picisan gak jelas dan klise, jauh bagusan ini sejuta kali lipat..
Banyak hal yang bakal kita pelajari.. Di buku Mahabharata- Ramayana, tokoh baik ga selamanya baik, dan tokoh jahat bersisi baik juga :)

Prasad GR
Dec 27, 2011 Prasad GR rated it it was amazing
Easily among the best books I've read. Rajaji's retelling is infused with so much love and devotion, that I've ended up with a deep desire to read the originals penned by Valmiki and Kamban. To think that my curiosity over Delhi University's ban on A K Ramanujan's essay 'Three Hundred Ramayanas' would be so amply rewarded is in itself exhilarating.
Jeanne
Feb 23, 2011 Jeanne rated it liked it
A decent retelling of the Ramayana, one of the fundamental myths of Hinduism. Rajagopalachari has a tendency to divert from the main story with side comments on his personal interpretations of the morals depicted in the story. Otherwise, it was a good education into Indian culture.
Abhimanyu Saraf
Sep 14, 2012 Abhimanyu Saraf rated it really liked it
This was my first read and took me a long time to finish in small parts. Details provided reveal new sides and facts about the epic that is unknown to most. I believe this version is not tampered with and one of the most authentic conversions one will find for English reading of the epic.
  • Excalibur: The Legend of King Arthur
  • Wisanggeni: Sang Buronan
  • Srimad-Bhagavatam: Bhagavata Purana (18 Vol. Set)
  • Mahabharata by Amar Chitra Katha- The Birth of Bhagavad Gita- 42 Comic Books in 3 Volumes (Indian Mythology for Children/regional/religious/stories)
  • Sita: Daughter of the Earth: A Graphic Novel
  • The Mahabharata: A Modern Rendering, Vol. 2
  • The Rig Veda
  • The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Annual 2013
  • Krishnavatara: The Book of Satyabhama (Volume V)
  • Maha-bharata The Epic of Ancient India Condensed into English Verse
  • The Religion of Java
  • The Dragonlord's Heir (The Ascalon Trilogy, #1)
  • The Book of Ram
  • Mahabharat
  • Adventures of a Wimpy Werewolf: Hairy But Not Scary
  • The Holy Vedas
Chakravarti Rajagopalachari, informally called Rajaji or C.R., was an Indian lawyer, independence activist, politician, writer and statesman. Rajagopalachari was the last Governor-General of India. He also served as leader of the Indian National Congress, Premier of the Madras Presidency, Governor of West Bengal, Minister for Home Affairs of the Indian Union and Chief Minister of Madras state. Raj ...more
More about C. Rajagopalachari...