Start by marking “The Distant Beacon” as Want to Read:
The Distant Beacon

The Distant Beacon (Song of Acadia #4)

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  1,713 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
While Anne settles into life in Britain, Nicole sets sail for America to manage her uncle's holdings and finds her heart and loyalties tested by the Revolution.
Large Print, 383 pages
Published 2002 by Bethany House Publishers (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Distant Beacon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Distant Beacon

Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
About this book:

“Anne's sorrow over her husband's death has been eased by the unexpected discovery of his heritage in the Harrow family and by her marriage to a brilliant young theologian. But Nicole is as restless as ever and has decided to return to North America. Should she go to the Acadian family of her childhood in Louisiana's bayous? Or should she settle in Nova Scotia near her birth parents? The American colonies are in revolt against England, and Uncle Charles asks her to go to Massachu
Olivia
I love, love, love this one! The story draws me in from the beginning and by the middle I feel breathless, hastening to read the next page to see what happens. This has been my favorite of the whole series every time I've read it, and I still am not swayed from that!

Nicole must find her place in the world. She travels to the colonies to see the land Uncle Charles gave her, but arriving she finds devestation all around her created by the war between America and England. Gordon Goodwin, wishes for
Lisa James
I swept through this one, rather disappointed. First of all, it's actually a middle book in a series, so I didn't get the references to anything that came before this book. It doesn't lend itself well to being a stand alone book. It's also pretty predictable as a plotline, more like a Harlequin romance than a historical fiction, which is what it sounded like. It also NOWHERE classified itself as Christian fiction, which is exactly what it was. Now, if you are INTO that genre, you'll like the boo ...more
Peggy N
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Peggy by: Read the previous books in the series.
The Distant Beacon is the fourth book in the Song of Acadia series by Janette Oke. I have read all four and have enjoyed the series very much. In The Distant Beacon, Nicole Harrow returns to the American Colonies in a time of war with the British. She comes as a Viscountess of Harrow to claim the lands that her uncle Charles Harrow has given to her. Because Lord Charles Harrow had spoken on behalf of the colonies in Parliament and against the war, the American government had gifted him the land ...more
Rachel
The 4th sequal in the Song of Acadia series, and perhaps my favorite by far! I was blessed enough to find a copy while on vacation, just in time to read the next book I was on in the series! :D Yippee!!

Nicole is now a Vicountess traveling to a new home in the American colonies. But with England and the colonies on the brink of war with one another, all Nicole's hopes and dreams for a settled life and home are dashed to pieces in a moment. With the dashing Gordon Goodwind paying suit, both her he
Nadine Keels
Oct 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoughts on the entire series.

With these novels, I joined the ranks of readers who know what it is to be in the midst of a series, waiting, even with bated breath, for the next book in the series to be published.

I appreciate the style and language that Bunn clearly brought into this co-written historical fiction saga with Oke. I remember being totally engrossed and on edge during a certain crucial stretch in The Meeting Place and was floored by the unembellished end to that nerve-racking rush: “
Jenny Preston
Apr 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels, religious
I'm glad I read this series. Overall, it was engaging with great characters and a moving plot. It was a good entertaining read. Now... it's far, far, far from perfect. Spoiling my complaint because I can't explain it without spoiling:

[spoil]
Just like book #3, this wraps up way too neatly for my tastes. It just wasn't necessary for Louise and Catherine to be blood-relatives. And the discussion they have about their blood connection, IMHO, cheapens the miracle of the rest of their relationship. It
Terri
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened-to
Nicole leaves England to forge her own path and take control of her uncle's holdings in western Massachusetts. She faces a tough sea voyage and then finds Massachusetts split between the British and Americans. Her escort Captain Gordon Goodwin is caught by the British and Nicole must use all her ingenuity and money to save him and his friends. In the midst of this struggle, Nicole and Gordon's feelings for each other grow, but Nicole fears to marry a man who doesn't share her faith in God. This ...more
Cheryl
Feb 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this one to be a lot more exciting than the previous books. I really enjoyed the Revolutionary War setting. The main complaint I had about this book was that Gordon Goodwind's conversion just didn't resonate with me. It felt forced, contrived, convenient, and unnecessary. It would have been so much more interesting for Nicole to accept that he had a quieter, more restrained relationship with God, decide to squelch her misgivings, marry him anyways, and then have his faith reinforced and ...more
Melissa
While Anne settles in England, Nicole sets off to oversee her Uncle Charles’s property in Massachusetts. Gordon Goodwin acts as her guide as she first visits her parents, then traverses towards Massachusetts. War and devastation lie in her way.

As Nicole travels, she wonders if she will ever truly find a home, and if she will ever find the right man’s love.

Messages of courageous faith, forgiveness, and love are woven into this book. I won’t give away the exciting twists and turns, but I will say
Mom
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The saga of the war going on kept this book of the series very interesting. Had the betrayal part figured out before the author wrote about it. Can't imagine traveling in long dresses, in the dust and mud - yuck! The love between the married people is very touching - very strong relationships and love spoken about. Their faith in God and always about what he has planned for them - to listen for that answer instead of going it alone. Enjoying this series.
Donna Bagby
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Slow start- continuing story of Nicole as she travels to Massachusetts. Although she encounters love, she is still unable to let go and open her heart to that love. Nicole encounters many dangers and disappointments, but soon she realizes her need to give up the bitterness which came from her displacement.
Sandy A Devlin
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great reading

Another book that I just couldn't put down. This story continues where the previous book left off. The authors have a true gift to bring you right into their story. So amazing!
Grace
Aug 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes fiction novels
Shelves: janette-oke
This was the 3rd in the Acadian series that I've been reading. I really enjoyed the first and the second wasn't as good to me, but the third one was great!

A story of love, hope and strength coming after perseverance.
 Mummy Cat Claire
I enjoyed following Nicole on her life adventure. I felt like I could choose for her. Although the ending seemed obvious, it was still a good read.
This book has more romance added to it since Nicole has a love interest.
Yaz *The Reading Girl*
Its wonderful. This is one of my favorites from the series. It was a really good book. I really fell in love with the whole series.
Karen
Cws
YA Oke
Annalise
Sep 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!!!
Shelves: historic-fiction
This one is really good. it's so romantic. :)
Elaine
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Interesting continuation, but still sad to see that Acadia has been left behind.
Penny Lou
I liked this book. It's a good historical romance with a strong Christian perspective. The best part is that there was no profanity like you find in literature today.
Brenda
Jan 04, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 2010
Book on CD. Eh, it was okay, but not great. The writing wasn't great, but the story was okay. I guess it was the second book in a series, but it wasn't hard to pick up the story line.
Loraine
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. On to the next one. I'll be sorry when this series is over and I'm starting book 5 of 5 now, so soon.
Alison
Sep 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Alison by: My Mom
"It's really interesting, but a tiny bit confusing... but i love it! "
Jencey/
Nov 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book.
Odetta
Nov 04, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who like historical christian novels.
Recommended to Odetta by: Next in a series
It was too long. I got tired of listening to it. I didn't like the war either.
Pam
Jan 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Continued story of Acadia and Louisiana's families
Shiloh
I appreciated the History in this book. Very interesting.
Melissa
Jan 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this might have been my favorite of the series so far. Staged in 1775ish the American Revolution is a big theme in this book. You should give it a try!
  • The Solitary Envoy (Heirs of Acadia, #1)
  • Daughter of Grace (The Journals of Corrie Belle Hollister, #2)
  • Kansas Brides: Stranger's Bride/Never a Bride/Bittersweet Bride/His Brother's Bride
  • Dakota: Four Inspirational Love Stories in America's Final Frontier
  • Rivers of Gold (Yukon Quest, #3)
  • The Rescue (The English Garden, #2)
  • Measures of Grace (Victorian Serenade #2)
  • The Shield of Honor (Wakefield Dynasty, #3)
  • The Damascus Way (Acts of Faith, #3)
  • Toward the Sunrise (Daughters of Fortune, #3)
Janette Oke writes with a profound simplicity of what she knows best—real life, honest love, and lasting values. With over 23 million in sales, her historical novels portray the lives of early North American settlers from many walks of life and geographical settings. She also writes engaging children's stories and inspiring gift books that warm the heart.

Janette was born during the depression year
More about Janette Oke...

Song of Acadia (5 books)
  • The Meeting Place (Song of Acadia, #1)
  • The Sacred Shore (Song of Acadia, #2)
  • The Birthright (Song of Acadia, #3)
  • The Beloved Land (Song of Acadia, #5)

Fiction Deals

• A House for Happy Mothers
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • The Whiskey Rebels
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • We Are All Made of Stars
  • Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Very Valentine
    $10.99 $2.99
  • The Cellar
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Clouds (Glenbrooke, #5)
  • Ireland