Start by marking “Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone” as Want to Read:
Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone

Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone

The tenth anniversary edition of this landmark cookbook, with more than 325,000 copies in print, includes a new introduction from Deborah Madison, America’s leading authority on vegetarian cooking.

What Julia Child is to French cooking, Deborah Madison is to vegetarian cooking—a demystifier and definitive guide to the subject. After her many years as a teacher and writer, s

Published November 6th 2007 by Broadway (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone

Start your review of Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone
Mir
My aunt, not a fan of cooking, had this on her shelf along with a few other vegetarian cookbooks and a couple for health. I don't know how much she used it -- only one page has notes indicating she tried the recipes. That page is 337, and she made "Basic Green Beans (and Yellow and Purple)" (her review: "good 2/13") and "Green Beans Simmered with Tomato" ("okay, a little time consuming").

The instructions for that second recipe, to sum up, say to saute in oil thinly sliced onions until transluce
7jane
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(from the 10th anniversary introduction:) "...people come with their old books, pages tattered and stained with soup, inked with comments, and stuck with sticky notes. One, recently returned to me, was signed by all the monks who had used it in their monastery kitchen. The remains of the torn jacket were glued to the cover and the pages were so swollen with spills that the books was nearly twice its normal thickness. Clearly this old copy had had quite a workout, but nothing makes me happier tha ...more
Rachel
Mar 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
if you like to eat food you will like this book. if you like to cook or wish you knew how you will like this book. if you love to cook and love vegetables and are a nerd this will be your bible.

this is my bible. and i am not the only one.

sometimes when i have a few extra unplanned minutes i will sit at my table and randomly open the book. how better to pass 4 minutes then reading about kambocha squash.

she has some elaborate recipes in here but what i really love the most is the basic information
Jessica
Oct 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: "everyone," duh
Shelves: favorites
My mom has characterized this as "the vegetarian Joy of Cooking," which is pretty accurate. However, it's not just for vegetarians, but for anyone who might ever feel the need to cook some vegetables (or grains, beans, and other non-meat foods). That is to say, EVERYONE SHOULD OWN THIS BOOK.

One of Deborah Madison's basic ideas is that covering a vegetable in garlic, olive oil, and parsley will make it more delicious, and I have found this to be true. She has some other equally good basic ideas,
Elizabeth
Jul 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone! (especially those of you who like vegetables)
Shelves: cookingandbaking
This is the best cookbook I have ever used. The most useful part of it is the vegetable section, where each fruit or vegetable is listed in alphabetical order, and each section discusses choosing, storage, and preparation of the fruit or vegetable, and then follows with at least one very simple recipe (green beans with butter and basil), and then more complicated ones. The way I use the book is by buying whatever looks good, and then coming home and figuring out what to do with it. That's been w ...more
Dianne
Aug 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: food
I am not a vegetarian; in fact, most of the time I'm carefully watching my carbs. This means that there is a high percentage of this book that I can't even use - all the pasta, rice, grain, bread, bean, and dessert recipes!

Why do I rate it so highly, then? It's simple - the vegetable recipes! Far, far, far too many vegetarian cookbooks assume that the objective of a vegetarian cookbook is to show people how to create a high protein entree. Often these vegetarian entrees are just as devoid of goo
Jensownzoo
May 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recently read this cover to cover, making a list of recipes to try in the next few months. Full of winners. I've had this book for a few years and have made several recipes from it and have never been disappointed. I consider this book one of the basic cookbooks that everyone should have in their repetoir, vegetarian or not. A few sample recipes:

Apple and Celery Salad with Gruyere
Carrot Red Pepper Soup
Butternut Squash Gratin with Onions and Sage
Eggplant Rollatini with Corn Bread Stuffing
Summer S
Vanessa
May 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking, how-to
This is a very useful recipe to have, because of the instructions for preparing a very wide variety of vegetables. Like any cookbook, there are a few recipes that are not very good. I use the chapter on soups the most, because I do not really collect soup recipes. My only major criticism is that the suggested seasonings listed for each vegetable are a little too repetitive. I am allergic to two of the constantly listed ingredients, so I eventually stopped using this section.

In my collection (and
Jen
May 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
After a student borrowed and lost a page of my favorite spinach tortellini recipe, that I knew had originated from this book, I finally checked it out of the library and loved it. In addition to being one of those ultimate resources where you can go to when you need to remember if asparagus is okay to put in stock or how to make any concievable sauce, everything I make from it has an unexpected depth of flavor - and there is variety on the same old lentil soups and other standard veggie recipes. ...more
Crystal
Jun 22, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Eh. Don't get me wrong. there's a lot of good recipes in here. But so many that involve animal products, especially cheese, which is much harder to replace than milk or yogurt. There's also gluten, which I need to avoid as well. So basically while the recipes cover a wide spectrum of basic vegetarian cooking, it's too much effort for me to sift through for the vegan gluten free ones. If you are just looking to expand an omnivore's diet, however, or eat purely vegetarian, with dairy and eggs OK, ...more
Pamela
Sep 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Just bought this two days ago, and am already using, and loving, it.

I was really feeling the need for a new, comprehensive, detailed, clear, fun, creative approach to vegetarian cooking--sort of a "Diet For A Small Planet" for the 21st Century--and so far, Madison's tome does not disappoint. Packed with doable, approachable, attractive recipes, lots of helpful advice on technique and know-how, and, importantly in a working handbook, well-designed and attractive page and font lay-outs.

I'm very
Allison
Nov 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm no vegetarian, but I love this book. It's great not just for its delicious recipes, but also for all the straightforward information about vegetables of all kinds. Madison tells you what to look for when buying vegetables, how (and how long) to store them, and what other ingredients and techniques they play well with. I'm going to buy my first CSA share next year, and after reading and cooking from this cookbook for the last six months, I feel fully-armed and ready to tackle whatever arrives ...more
Tara
Jul 27, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Vegetarians
I think this was the first vegetarian cookbook I ever owned. My mother gave it to me, and I made Madison's challah bread and a lentil dish. My mom and brother raved about the food, which sent me on a path of vegetarianism and culinary obsession. The dishes in this book are accessible and complement any eating philosophy.
Tracy O
Feb 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cook-books
I do eat fish and chicken so I'm not a vegetarian, but I use this book all of the time. There's a recipe for Thai Spicy noodles in here that is the bomb, but everything is great. I think that vegetarian cook books always have great recipes because you need to be more adept with spices and generally more inventive when you don't have the standard meat dish on the table.
Marie
May 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone has more than 1,400 recipes so it's going to be awhile before I actually read all of it. With that said, I did read the entire introduction, which I found really helpful in jumping into vegetarian cooking. So far the recipes I've made we've enjoyed but it's the realistic encouragement in the introduction/tips that I value most because now I'm not as intimidated.
Jesse Kelly-Landes
Sep 01, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
This book is an intensive guide to vegetables. However, the reason I love it are the cakes. These might be the best cakes I've ever baked.
Rebecca
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Madison's lentil recipes changed my life. I want to cook my way through this entire book.
Jonathan Kauffman
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The first vegetarian cookbook you should buy and the one on my shelf with the most stains.
Penny
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a really solid and densely-packed cookbook that's easy to read, get ideas from, and modify. Madison organizes recipes in a very sensible way, where you go to the section on soup, subsection on winter squash, and find a bunch of different variations all together. She'll tell you how to make a bunch of different types of stock if you want to get fancy, but most of the recipes are fairly straightforward.

While some of the recipes do use eggs or dairy, most of them are very easily veganizabl
Kay
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Bought the original in a used bookstore, then upgraded as a first wedding anniversary present. Madison knows whereof she speaks, and has crammed a wide variety of recipes into this book. Great for folks who are learning to cook, great for vegetarians and meat eaters alike.
Penny Perriguey
This cookbook is great for basic, French-style cooking. There are a lot of good recipes for sauces and condiments. I find that this is not my g0-to cookbook, however. I like my food a little more exotic than this book offers.
Erin
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Have made a handful of recipes so far and all have turned out well. perused the whole thing and there's a good mix of easy recipes and more difficult ones. Overall, I think this will be a good book for my collection.
Ty Huard
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
the title says its for everyone but i feel like it didnt really appeal to me and every other Trans Fluid Octagon.
Muhemed Masika
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You sure?
Gina
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book for non-vegetarians, too. I found so many easy and interesting vegetable recipes. Love it.
anklecemetery
May 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking, nonfiction
I've made a couple of the sauces so far and enjoyed them -- and yes, I have read every recipe in this book, because I went through it with a pack of sticky notes. Will updated as I cook from it.
Sharon
Jul 21, 2019 rated it liked it
You did that hungry!! I loved it, every twist and turn caught me by surprise!! I can’t wait to read more of your books....
LemontreeLime
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
This is 'joy of cooking' massive, you could press flowers or even tofu with the book itself, but brilliant! Her sauces make me think. A keeper.
Lafcadio
Jul 31, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Lafcadio by: Elizabeth
Shelves: lukapier, released, classy
I was hoping for something... different maybe? I'm not sure. I love vegetables, and I wanted to become more proficient in cooking them and with greater variety. This book certainly has plenty of recipes, and they look easy enough and well explained enough.

The problem is, I'm not much of a fan of squash of any kind. And onions are great, but as a seasoning, not as large cooked squishy mouthfuls. I enjoy eggplant every once in a while, but again in small bits as bonus zing rather than the primary
Amberle
Jun 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to be a well-informed cook
This is by far the most informative cookbook I've encountered. It's clearly the result of a painstaking writing/re-writing and editorial process; every bit of the book, from the index to the individual recipes, is clear and informative without being overly wordy or pedantic. The prose is simply nice to read - yes, I did take this into bed with me for some pre-sleepy-time reading!

I've already noticed that I've become more adroit in the kitchen with a little help from the section on knives, which
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian: More Than 650 Meatless Recipes from Around the World
  • Vegan with a Vengeance: Over 150 Delicious, Cheap, Animal-Free Recipes That Rock
  • The Homemade Pantry: 101 Foods You Can Stop Buying and Start Making
  • Barefoot Contessa Family Style: Easy Ideas and Recipes That Make Everyone Feel Like Family
  • Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World: 75 Dairy-Free Recipes for Cupcakes that Rule
  • Passionate Vegetarian
  • The Art of Simple Food: Notes, Lessons, and Recipes from a Delicious Revolution
  • The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook
  • The Flavor Bible: The Essential Guide to Culinary Creativity, Based on the Wisdom of America's Most Imaginative Chefs
  • Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics
  • I'm Just Here for the Food: Food + Heat = Cooking
  • Barefoot Contessa at Home: Everyday Recipes You'll Make Over and Over Again
  • How to Cook Everything: Simple Recipes for Great Food
  • The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook
Deborah Madison is an American chef, writer and cooking teacher. She has been called an expert on vegetarian cooking and her gourmet repertoire showcases fresh garden produce. Her work also highlights Slow Food, local foods and farmers' markets.

News & Interviews